Bengals join the iPad playbook movement

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1342616661' post='1139407']
its also naive to think billion dollar companies don't know what the hell they're doing.

For argument's sake, how long do you think it would take a hacker to crack it, assuming they were good enough to crack military grade security?
[/quote]

Who said they didnt? Not me. What I said was its not impossible to get hacked, and its much more easy to do it over wireless than wired.

I'm not a hacker, I wouldnt pretend to know. However I have worked in this industry for 16 years and had to develop software systems that have some levels of security to them, (not networks) so I'm really not sure why someone who has no experience would argue the point because they read an article.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' timestamp='1342616966' post='1139409']
Umm has that been happening?

I think some people need to stop shouting off the soapbox that represents a 1 in a trillion chance everyone else is wrong. Certainly there is a chance that the next time someone measures the rate of a falling object it will turn out different than 9.8 m/s and all we know about gravity will have to be re-evaluated...but who wastes their time championing the idea that gravity is "just a theory?"

Yes they added another "risk" by transferring data wirelessly, but the benefit of this technology FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR outweighs that risks. I'd rather risk having Anonymous crack the playbook if it gives our entire offense an extra 24-48 hours of film study and breakdown per week.
[/quote]

I'm certainly reading it as if some believe that it is an impossibility yes. If thats not the case, perhaps Lucid and 1181 can clarify that they dont believe its not impossible to hack these type of things. In Lucid's case I'm not sure why he's arguing with me, in 1181's case it's in his DNA.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1342616661' post='1139407']
[b]its also naive to think billion dollar companies don't know what the hell they're doing.[/b]

For argument's sake, how long do you think it would take a hacker to crack it, assuming they were good enough to crack military grade security?
[/quote]

Yes...like car and truck recalls don't happen ALL the time.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1342615388' post='1139402']

Youre a smart guy, how do you not get this?

Sure a player can leave the notebook lying around unsecured but you still have to touch the notebook to get the contents in it.

You dont have to do that over wireless.
[/quote]

I think a point being overlooked here is: to physically swipe a poorly protected binder requires much less skill than to have some one crack a wireless network.

For example if a player took his notebook out of a team facility. Sure 100% correct someone has to touch the notebook to get it. But it is easier to get someone that can swipe that notebook and cover it up.

To crack security you are looking at a higher skill and creating a bigger footprint and probably breaking some bigger laws etc.

The content of the playbook isn't that valuable considering in about a week or so they are going to be opening their practices to the public. The league is a networking league in which these coaches learn from each other and teach each other and it has a high rate of player movement and free lines of communication between players.

This isn't KFC's secret herbs and spices they are puttin in the playbook.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1342617012' post='1139410']
Who said they didnt? Not me. What I said was its not impossible to get hacked, and its much more easy to do it over wireless than wired.

I'm not a hacker, I wouldnt pretend to know. However I have worked in this industry for 16 years and had to develop software systems that have some levels of security to them, (not networks) so I'm really not sure why someone who has no experience would argue the point because they read an article.
[/quote]

first off, you don't have the credibility to be an authority on anything.

As for the rest, Squirrnutz summed it up perfectly. Could it happen? Sure. The Earth could also be wiped out by a meteor tomorrow. Doesn't mean its even remotely likely.

These companies know what they're doing, and certainly did their homework before making the switch. And judging by the article pasted yesterday, there's more than adequate security in place.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1342617230' post='1139412']
I'm certainly reading it as if some believe that it is an impossibility yes. If thats not the case, perhaps Lucid and 1181 can clarify that they dont believe its not impossible to hack these type of things. In Lucid's case I'm not sure why he's arguing with me, in 1181's case it's in his DNA.
[/quote]

gee, I could have sworn YOU responded to me...

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1342617284' post='1139414']
I think a point being overlooked here is: to physically swipe a poorly protected binder requires much less skill than to have some one crack a wireless network.

For example if a player took his notebook out of a team facility. Sure 100% correct someone has to touch the notebook to get it. But it is easier to get someone that can swipe that notebook and cover it up.

To crack security you are looking at a higher skill and creating a bigger footprint and probably breaking some bigger laws etc.

The content of the playbook isn't that valuable considering in about a week or so they are going to be opening their practices to the public. The league is a networking league in which these coaches learn from each other and teach each other and it has a high rate of player movement and free lines of communication between players.

This isn't KFC's secret herbs and spices they are puttin in the playbook.
[/quote]

Not at all I fully acknowledge its easier to get [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]physically [/font][/color]get a poorly protected notebook than it is to swipe data wirelessly. However when doing that one is generally looking or doing something suspicious that could give them away, vs sitting in a starbucks drinking a coffee not looking any differently.

I think some people need to stop shouting off the soapbox that represents a 1 in a trillion chance everyone else is wrong. Certainly there is a chance that the next time someone measures the rate of a falling object it will turn out different than 9.8 m/s and all we know about gravity will have to be re-evaluated...but who wastes their time championing the idea that gravity is "just a theory?"

Yes they added another "risk" by transferring data wirelessly, but the benefit of this technology FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR outweighs that risks. I'd rather risk having Anonymous crack the playbook if it gives our entire offense an extra 24-48 hours of film study and breakdown per week.
[/quote]

Exactly.

[/quote]

not to mention, any team that would attempt to steal it, or purchase it from someone else who stole it, would effectively be committing career and organizational suicide if they were ever caught.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1342617342' post='1139415']

As for the rest, Squirrnutz summed it up perfectly. Could it happen? Sure. The Earth could also be wiped out by a meteor tomorrow. Doesn't mean its even remotely likely.

These companies know what they're doing, and certainly did their homework before making the switch. And judging by the article pasted yesterday, there's more than adequate security in place.
[/quote]

I certainly have more creditably on this topic than you do.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1342617553' post='1139419']
not to mention, any team that would attempt to steal it, or purchase it from someone else who stole it, would effectively be committing career and organizational suicide if they were ever caught.
[/quote]

Espionage happens every year in sports. Haven't you been paying attention?

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1342617596' post='1139420']
I certainly have more creditably on this topic than you do.
[/quote]

I'm not pretending to have any credibility.

I'm merely not being dumb enough to think that teams didn't do their homework on this decision before making it.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1342617342' post='1139415']

[/quote]

Given the competitive nature of the league, I'm guessing something will happen with an Ipad or electronic playbook eventually. Then they will adjust.

I don't think they've opened up the wild wild west with playbooks and are running wild risks. If people want your plays. Watch the film.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1342617676' post='1139421']
[/quote]

oh I don't doubt that, but this I think would be on a whole other level than anything that takes place in today's game.

It'd be far worse than SpyGate.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1342617680' post='1139422']

I'm merely not being dumb enough to think that teams didn't do their homework on this decision before making it.
[/quote]

Never said that did I. ;)

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1342617747' post='1139424']
oh I don't doubt that, but this I think would be on a whole other level than anything that takes place in today's game.

[/quote]

Now on this we can agree.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1342617680' post='1139422']

[/quote]

Are you brain dead? It doesn't matter how much homework a team does, sometimes they just make bad decisions. I don't think using Ipads as playbooks is all that bad of a decision but watching you constantly blather on about how they can do no wrong is a bit much. You said Billion Dollar companies don't screw up, yet I referenced Multi-billion dollar car companies that screw up all the time. You talk about how teams wouldn't make a decision without doing their homework, yet teams screw up on draft picks all the time and pay them millions of dollars that is wasted.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1342617747' post='1139424']

[/quote]

The Patriots are also being investigated for having a radio scrambler where they could steal the other teams play calls, yet that has been swept under the rug. You don't think that is similar?

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1342617887' post='1139427']
Are you brain dead? It doesn't matter how much homework a team does, sometimes they just make decisions. I don't think using Ipads as playbooks is all that bad of a decision but watching constantly blather on about how they can do no wrong is a bit much. You said Billion Dollar companies don't screw up, yet I referenced Multi-billion dollar car companies that screw up all the time. You take about how teams wouldn't make a decision without doing their homework, yet teams screw up on draft picks all the time and pay them millions of dollars that is wasted.
[/quote]

you calling someone brain dead? Really?

CONSIDERING the potential leak of information this would have if it wasn't secure, I'm quite certain teams put in as much time and effort as they did on evaluating a draft pick.

Sure, billion dollar companies make mistakes, but you're argument works off the assumption that they always make mistakes.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1342617676' post='1139421']

[/quote]

I agree with that, but that's not the focus. Playbooks exist and have existed for years. The format is changing.

The risk is still the same. The discussion is on the mitigating of this risk. IMO, Ipad playbook is more secure that a notebook for reasons stated above.

It doesn't mean some team won't try. If someone is going to put effort into gaining inside knowledge on a team's game plan etc. It is probably easier and less risky to do it the old fashion way by filming a practice or having a scout spy on practice or bugging a coaches box etc. vs. finding, training, funding a hacker to steal data, translate the data, quantify the data into a meaningful format etc.

I think some people need to stop shouting off the soapbox that represents a 1 in a trillion chance everyone else is wrong. Certainly there is a chance that the [b]next time someone measures the rate of a falling object it will turn out different than 9.8 m/s [/b]and all we know about gravity will have to be re-evaluated...but who wastes their time championing the idea that gravity is "just a theory?"

[/quote]

thats easy to do, the object just needs to be in free fall for more than a second.

m/s = velocity
m/s^2 = acceleration

you clearly have no idea what your alking about so I'm on Jamie's side now

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1342617961' post='1139429']
The Patriots are also being investigated for having a radio scrambler where they could steal the other teams play calls, yet that has been swept under the rug. You don't think that is similar?
[/quote]

there was talk about that years ago, but to my knowledge its not still an on-going search.

If it were ever to be confirmed true, I'd expect them to get their asses nailed to the wall.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1342618097' post='1139431']
you calling someone brain dead? Really?

CONSIDERING the potential leak of information this would have if it wasn't secure, I'm quite certain teams put in as much time and effort as they did on evaluating a draft pick.

Sure, billion dollar companies make mistakes, but you're argument works off the assumption that they always make mistakes.
[/quote]

Where in the world did I say they ALWAYS make mistakes? I said companies (a collective) make mistakes all the time. Not Every single company makes mistakes all the time. Really? If anything you are the one trying to say companies do so much research that they NEVER make mistakes.

What we have here is a classic case of someone reading a buzzword and insisting upon it.

Ive had bosses read something in some tech magazine and insisting that we have to build it into the software, only to have to sit and explain why its not a good idea.

Or in the case of a voting system one of my coworkers once built where they were insisting we use a technology that really didnt work with what thy were doing because the owner of that company donated to a political campaign (yeah that happened, in ohio no less)

Archived