Bengals join the iPad playbook movement

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1340281621' post='1136122']
[b]It is very secure, now we can give them practice video.[/b]

[b]Relative to what?[/b] Because nobody I know in the security field describes wireless as "very secure"
[/quote]

Relative to 3 ring binders (for playbooks and gameplans). I'm not sure how sensitive video is.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1340310807' post='1136183']
The force doesn't exist in Spock's universe. And with his mental faculties jedi mind tricks wouldn't work on him.
[/quote]

Hmmm, perhaps it comes down to home field advantage then?

:39:

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1340310720' post='1136182']
Relative to 3 ring binders (for playbooks and gameplans). I'm not sure how sensitive video is.
[/quote]

Assuming of course that the Ipads have been set up to have passcodes on them, if not they are no more secure than a 3 ring binder and with the stuff on them potentially more dangerous than just stealing a playbook.

The force doesn't exist in Spock's universe. And with his mental faculties jedi mind tricks wouldn't work on him.
[/quote]

Since when is Spock a [color=#000000][font=sans-serif][size=3]Toydarian?[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1340311310' post='1136189']
Assuming of course that the Ipads have been set up to have passcodes on them, [b]if not they are no more secure than a 3 ring binder and with the stuff on them potentially more dangerous than just stealing a playbook.[/b]
[/quote]

Because, obviously they are going to be complete retards about setting this shit up. To me, it would seem one of the advantages to this (assuming the team is providing all the ipads and not letting players use personal ones for playbooks etc), is that you have a uniform system in place with standards on security.

[/quote]

So home field advantage comes into play? Interesting.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1340311310' post='1136189']

Assuming of course that the Ipads have been set up to have passcodes on them, if not they are no more secure than a 3 ring binder and with the stuff on them potentially more dangerous than just stealing a playbook.
[/quote]

Have you ever seen a Trapper Keeper? That's pretty secure.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1340311472' post='1136192']
Because, obviously they are going to be complete retards about setting this shit up. To me, it would seem one of the advantages to this (assuming the team is providing all the ipads and not letting players use personal ones for playbooks etc), is that you have a uniform system in place with standards on security.
[/quote]

uniform system in place with standards on security is all very generalized language, you must be in management :lol:

The original point being made here is that wireless security is not all that secure, that point still stands.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1340311740' post='1136196']
Have you ever seen a Trapper Keeper? That's pretty secure.
[/quote]

Uhm that shit syncs up with the Paddington Bear calculator, that is tech that nobody can hack.

[img]http://static.tvfanatic.com/images/gallery/cartmans-trapper-keeper.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1340311838' post='1136197']
uniform system in place with standards on security is all very generalized language, you must be in management :lol:

The original point being made here is that wireless security is not all that secure, that point still stands.
[/quote]

So is the security of the previous system.. Improvement is still a good thing, even if it isn't perfect. And of course I am using general language.. I have no idea what standards they are implementing.. But having something in place is better than not.. You sound like you like to argue over trivialities

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1340315750' post='1136205']

So is the security of the previous system.. Improvement is still a good thing, even if it isn't perfect. And of course I am using general language.. I have no idea what standards they are implementing.. But having something in place is better than not.. You sound like you like to argue over trivialities
[/quote]

Not at all but a few were attempting to pan off wireless as secure which I suppose compared to a 3 ring binder its very slightly more, but I wouldn't pretend its all that secure either.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1340317228' post='1136208']
Not at all but a few were attempting to pan off wireless as secure which I suppose compared to a 3 ring binder its very slightly more, but I wouldn't pretend its all that secure either.
[/quote]

I guess the point being.. If security is ≥ then why is it even an issue?

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1340325675' post='1136214']
To correct the notion that wireless = secure
[/quote]

JFC. Compared to a paper notebook it's "slightly" more secure? Really? Do you have the skills & tools to do it? Doubtful but correct me if I'm wrong. Yet, I would hope anyway, you are capable of picking up a notebook and opening it. You've demonstrated your ability to read, as well, so I think it should be fairly obvious to you the relative difference in security is a bit more than "slight".

Not to mention that you (and others, to be fair) are confusing wireless security with information security. Potentially gaining access to their network is not at all the same as gaining access to whatever data may be stored on it, somewhere; let alone being able to read any of it even if you could gain access to it.

So, you know, thanks so much for your tireless efforts "to correct the notion that wireless = secure".. Only I'm pretty sure nobody here was claiming anything of the sort.

For the best security? I'd hire Jamie to hand-write it all out and count on the misspellings to confound would be hackers. Of course, the downside would be that during practice, guards would be lining up as wide receivers and cornerbacks would be playing nose tackle. :25:

[quote name='Homer_Rice' timestamp='1340337340' post='1136230']
For the best security? I'd hire Jamie to hand-write it all out and count on the misspellings to confound would be hackers. Of course, the downside would be that during practice, guards would be lining up as wide receivers and cornerbacks would be playing nose tackle. :25:
[/quote]

He'd be the only one able to decipher the code! A secret weapon!

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1340327356' post='1136217']
JFC. Compared to a paper notebook it's "slightly" more secure? Really? Do you have the skills & tools to do it? Doubtful but correct me if I'm wrong. Yet, I would hope anyway, you are capable of picking up a notebook and opening it. You've demonstrated your ability to read, as well, so I think it should be fairly obvious to you the relative difference in security is a bit more than "slight".

Not to mention that you (and others, to be fair) are confusing wireless security with information security. Potentially gaining access to their network is not at all the same as gaining access to whatever data may be stored on it, somewhere; let alone being able to read any of it even if you could gain access to it.

So, you know, thanks so much for your tireless efforts "to correct the notion that wireless = secure".. Only I'm pretty sure nobody here was claiming anything of the sort.
[/quote]

Here is the difference, anyone can pick up a 3 ring binder and get the info, a hacker with mediocre skills can hack over a wireless network to get info. So in the eyes of the hacker yes slightly more secure.

I'm not a hacker so I dont mess with that stuff, but I've got enough friends in network security to snicker at you when you talk about security in such a general sense.

Right except once you gain access to a network gaining access to data is just a matter of looking for what you want.

[quote name='Homer_Rice' timestamp='1340337340' post='1136230']
[/quote]

:lol:

You joke but I once was working on some software for a client whom shall rename nameless that required a data transfer from their top secret network to their unclassified network. They didnt have the secure network facilities to transfer between the two (think more than just wired networks) and wanted to ensure all the data coming down was manually scrubbed so as to be completely safe, so their solution was have someone take the secure data scrub out what they didnt want and then manually type a new file with the data that was acceptable.

• 4 weeks later...
[quote][color=#333333][font=inherit][size=4][background=transparent]In fact, as several people explained, the iPad might actually be more secure than a hard-copy playbook, particularly those issued by teams like the Broncos. Information can be wiped from an iPad from anywhere, which means a waived player could have his playbook erased before he ever even reaches the coach’s office to get the bad news.[/background][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif][size=2][left][background=transparent][background=transparent]

[/background]
[/background][/left][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif][size=2][left][background=transparent][background=transparent]

[color=#333333][font=inherit][size=4]
“The big difference and benefit we have now is, there’s no security on a personal iPad,” Boxer said. “Now, we have a COBOLT Device Management system so we can secure what’s out there on the devices. It’s all highly secure. We can wipe an iPad from anywhere in the world, and it now has two passwords on it. It has a four-digit keycode and password required to access the actual app.”[/size][/font][/color]
[/background]
[/background][/left][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=inherit][size=4][background=transparent]As for the prospect of hacking? The encryption currently being used to secure the iPads on a remote level is equivalent to the military grade. So while the idea of SpyGate II might be something nobody will want to discount, it hasn’t created enough concern to steer most teams away from the technology at this point. Not considering the security currently being utilized.[/background][/size][/font][/color][/quote]

[url="http://www.nfl.com/qs/ipadplaybook/index.jsp?module=HP11_content_stream"]http://www.nfl.com/qs/ipadplaybook/index.jsp?module=HP11_content_stream[/url]

[img]http://www.nfl.com/qs/ipadplaybook/assets/images/photo-3_1342218157.jpeg[/img]
[quote]
[left]This is a screenshot of an opponent's game footage, which can be viewed as edited cut-ups from any number of game situations or as .PDFs of specific plays.[/left]
[/quote]

[img]http://www.nfl.com/qs/ipadplaybook/assets/images/photo-4_1342218158.jpeg[/img]
[quote][color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][left]The playbook application that the Broncos use also features statistics for opponents and allows the user to make notes along the way.[/left][/font][/color][/quote]

A 3 ring notebook can be swiped physically by someone as can an Ipad, however an Ipad's data can be swiped by someone without them having to physically touch it, more secure is just laughable.

Also as far as being able to wipe the data, sure, but that happens as far as stolen ipad (or hacked) is concern, after the fact, when they already have the data.

There are certainly benefits from using the ipad, and i like the idea, but the notion that its security is that much more, is all very 'meh.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1342457409' post='1139100']
Also as far as being able to wipe the data, sure, but that happens as far as stolen ipad (or hacked) is concern, after the fact, when they already have the data.
[/quote]

:facepalm:

You still don't get it. Maybe stop sitting around "snickering" at people for and go talk to these network security friends of yours.. FFS dude "I have a friend that does this" doesn't make you an authority. I have a friend that has a PhD in neurochemistry; that doesn't mean I know wtf your problem is... :P

Wireless, yes, not particularly secure. The point you are missing, even though it's been repeated several times, is that they don't have to broadcast that data in the clear. Yeh, it's fairly easy to hack someone's wireless password. But, oh no, it turns out they've encrypted all the data before they sent it.. In fact, the only time it's probably not encrypted is when it's being viewed in whatever front-end they have. Playbook 3.0, or whatever. Which has its own login/pw, I'm sure, and maybe even a keyfob or the like to go with it.

Imagine it as tapping into someone's phone line.. Fairly easy right? But, oh no, they're speaking Croatian.

Only it's not Croatian; it's a made-up language that changes every fraction of a second and, oh no, not only do you need 2 different keys to decrypt it into English, one is stored on the iPad (somewhere, it's not in "heythisismypassword.txt" - in fact, one of the features Apple is trumpeting about the new iPad is [i]how difficult it is to find this - [/i]didn't I point that out already, too?) and the other on a server that definitely isn't running some child-proofed bubblewrap Apple OS, and with its own separate, unique security (ie, a whole other login/pw & file structure to defeat.)

So, once again, hacking someone's wifi does not give you unfettered access to all the data on their system. Go back and read that again, please, until it sinks in?

:39:

Archived