Reagan Warned Us About Mitt Romney Backs Obama Buffett Rule

Montana Bengal

ha ha

I was living in DC when the ol' Gipper kicked it. A colleague of mine said, "hey, are you going to the funeral procession thing?" so I told him, "No, Reagan's policies make him kind of a douche. No." He said, "but it's history." and I said, "Goddammit Marcos you fucking dirty Mexican." And he said, "My family is from New Mexico and we've been Americans for many generations, asshole." and I was all like, "whatevs, take our jobs, filthmonger."

So Marcos and I and a few hotties from the office hopped off the Orange Line at Federal Triangle and we stood there and watched several West Pointers and Coast Guard Academy-ers pass out in the "brutal" September sun. Then eventually we ended up seeing the motorcade, the riderless horse with the boots in the stirrups backwards (fucking weird) and the casket march by. I think we then got some beers near Dupont Circle.

That was my Gipper story.

I have been saying for a couple years now that Obama is much closer to a Republican from 20 years ago than a Democrat from that time period. It's just that the Republican party has kind of gone off a cliff the better part of the last decade. I don't mind that Obama is what he is. I do mind that the conservative wing of my government presents a platform that I can not vote for.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1346800730' post='1154419']
I have been saying for a couple years now that Obama is much closer to a Republican from 20 years ago than a Democrat from that time period. It's just that the Republican party has kind of gone off a cliff the better part of the last decade. I don't mind that Obama is what he is. I do mind that the conservative wing of my government presents a platform that I can not vote for.
[/quote]

I think you hit that on the head. Obama is much more of a centrist, than a progressive. the problem is that the republicans of today are WAY FARTHER RIGHT than the Republicans were in the '80s and '90s when I never voted a party line ticket. Today, there is zero chance of me voting for a republican, because even if I thought he had sense, I realize that he would not be allowed to vote it.

The frightening thing to me about the Republican party moving so far right is that I'd prefer to think their policies are so extreme as to make them irrelevant, yet they must think they have enough popular support to make it worthwhile or they wouldn't be doing things this way. It implies that there are a lot more evangelical and/or xenophobic and/or misogynistic people in this country than I'd like to believe, and that's disturbing. I would've expected they would go for someone relatively bland and hope to appeal to people who are more interested in voting [i]against[/i] Obama than [i]for[/i] anyone in particular. Instead we get.. Ugh.

It's hard for me to fathom that someone could espouse the values that their candidates do and still have any chance to win a popular election. I kind of felt the same way when Palin joined the McCain ticket, but at least then I could reassure myself that after the absolute dumpster fire that Bush had created, the Democrats could've run a pair of mismatched socks and still won the election, so they kind of figured "What the hell? Why not?". More of a desperation/"fuck it" move, in other words. With Romney/Ryan on the other hand, I know they must've run their polls and all that and determined that a pair of disconnected, entitled, rich hypocritical douchenozzle bigots would actually appeal to a very large segment of Americans. I really, really hope they're wrong about that.

Archived