The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - Ravens - Game 1

[quote name='IKOTA' timestamp='1347395491' post='1157424']
Yeah, he's not as horrible as I was making him out to be. But there was the deep ball to AJ on the second possession where AJ beat Webb on a deep post it looked like and Dalton threw a horrible ball that landed 5 yds in front of Green. Could have been a TD. His deep ball needs A LOT of work
[/quote]

I'll agree with that, have to hit those

Yeah, he's not as horrible as I was making him out to be. But there was the deep ball to AJ on the second possession where AJ beat Webb on a deep post it looked like and Dalton threw a horrible ball that landed 5 yds in front of Green. Could have been a TD. His deep ball needs A LOT of work
[/quote]

True, but can't be defined by one throw. Not sure if it was rushed. Will look for it while rewatching.

[quote name='coup000' timestamp='1347395416' post='1157423']
Through the first drive in the 2nd half Dalton was 16 of 23 for 168 yards. Almost 70% at over 7 YPA.

Care to reconcile your statement with reality?
[/quote]

He was throwing a lot of stuff high. Dudes were open, he could have made slightly better throws. I've seen him be more accurate.

Look at his 3rd down plays. He didn't do crap when the heat was on. He was like 1-4 for six yards and a TAINT on third down before the wheels came off.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1347396232' post='1157430']
Dalton was the least of our issues last night, though at times he did look Carsonesque
[/quote]

Meanwhile Carson looked great. He looked like the old Carson (12-14 100 yards on 3rd down). Balls had zip, too bad the long snapper sabotaged the game.

Dalton was 2-7 for 14 yards and a pick for the game on 3rd down.

He may not have been the biggest problem, but he wasn't helping things much.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1347396434' post='1157431']

Meanwhile Carson looked great. He looked like the old Carson. Balls had zip, too bad the long snapper sabotaged the game.

[/quote]

And as PFT noted, Carson also only threw safe, short passes all night.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1347396697' post='1157432']
And as PFT noted, Carson also only threw safe, short passes all night.
[/quote]

His two top WR's were out of the game. He played very well. Good to see him playing like his old self.

[/quote]

Just watched it. He had a free blitzer about to unload on him. He may have rushed the throw, but also could have made a better throw.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1347395747' post='1157426']
True, but can't be defined by one throw. Not sure if it was rushed. Will look for it while rewatching.
[/quote]

I don't believe I implied that it was that one throw that made me question Dalton....it's his body of work and his deep ball is lacking severely. It's because He was a little rushed....but not enough to overthrow Green that bad. It was a throw an NFL QB should be able to hit. I'll wait until you re-watch it because I've only seen it once.

Meanwhile Carson looked great. He looked like the old Carson (12-14 100 yards on 3rd down). Balls had zip, too bad the long snapper sabotaged the game.

[/quote]

I didn't watch, did they bring in Brad St. Louis?

:ninja:

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1347331814' post='1157090']

Ray Lewis just made a nice play on the ball and tipped it away or Gresham would have had the TD.
[/quote]

I stand corrected on the Lewis tip, though I still wouldn't say he alligator armed it. He didn't brace for contact, Lewis wasn't even close enough. Gresham just lost focus and missed it.

Don't think I'll ever re-watch that game... And it's not ultimately because we lost, or this guy looked like ass, or whatever. I have a physical and emotional response to that gadget play offense they played last night, and that Pittsburgh played for years and years. It drives me batshit crazy.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1347398721' post='1157446']
Don't think I'll ever re-watch that game... And it's not ultimately because we lost, or this guy looked like ass, or whatever. I have a physical and emotional response to that gadget play offense they played last night, and that Pittsburgh played for years and years. It drives me batshit crazy.
[/quote]

It's odd it's like they did the exact opposite of last year. Last year they ran rice and faked the reverses. Last night they faked rice and ran the reverses.

Jon gruden said the Bengals would see that play again tonight. He was right.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1347397794' post='1157441']
I stand corrected on the Lewis tip, though I still wouldn't say he alligator armed it. He didn't brace for contact, Lewis wasn't even close enough. Gresham just lost focus and missed it.
[/quote]

Check his arms. Did they extend fully and sufficiently to get the ball? No. And Lewis was right in front of his visual field.

[quote name='mongo' timestamp='1347398721' post='1157446']
I have a physical and emotional response to that gadget play offense they played last night, and that Pittsburgh played for years and years. It drives me batshit crazy.
[/quote]

You mean you have a disaffinity towards plays that actually work by deceiving the opposition?

Is football a game of moving the ball or is it a game of banging heads against one another till someone drops?

If it works, don't hate it, join it.

[quote name='Abu-Zayd' timestamp='1347400146' post='1157450']

Check his arms. Did they extend fully and sufficiently to get the ball? No. And Lewis was right in front of his visual field.

[/quote]

Yes. The ball hit him in the hands as it was. Extending any more wouldn't have done any good, in fact it would have been worse. He simply dropped the ball.

Semantics really. Alligator armed or concentration lapse, he should have made the catch.

Side note, why were they throwing a 17yd pass on 3rd and 2 in the red zone in the first place?

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1347401819' post='1157455']
Yes. The ball hit him in the hands as it was. Extending any more wouldn't have done any good, in fact it would have been worse. He simply dropped the ball.

Semantics really. Alligator armed or concentration lapse, he should have made the catch.

Side note, why were they throwing a 17yd pass on 3rd and 2 in the red zone in the first place?
[/quote]

I dunno it certainly looked like alligator arms to me. The second piece of evidence is to look at his head. He clearly took his eyes off the ball to see if a hit was coming..and one was, but that isn't an excuse.

I'm late to the party on this thread. Read through everyone's comments. Where I differ is on Leon Hall. He was the only player on defense that was actually in position to make a play on the ball it appeared. There were some damn perfect passes by Flacco that an inch one way or the other are not completed. And The bullshit PI call. He was a millisecond late or an inch away. Clements and Newman on the otherhand? Move Clements to Safety. Put Jones as the other corner opposite of Leon. And then see what Allen can do when healthy.

[quote name='B.A.B.' timestamp='1347334121' post='1157135']
I'm so sad after this game. I want Leon, Rey, and MJ replaced after this year. Badly. We need to start looking for a new TE as well
[/quote]
After watching the game last night, the first thing I thought of was 'another first round corner' come April.

[/quote]

No he didn't. Not sure what the long snapper had to do with only scoring 2 field goals.. If the bolts don't go to prevent in garbage time to run out the clock he likely doesn't get that last 7. Carson looked like he did the last couple years with us.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1347401819' post='1157455']

[/quote]

Terrible play call. You have to make sure you get the first down in that situation. I put my face in my hands when that play happened. It reminded me of the 4th and 1 TD pass to Chad Johnson against Carolina from like the 30, where he extended beyond Gamble to catch it. Unnecessary and too high risk on 3rd and a short 2.

Archived