In Memory of My Room Mate

Lewdog

My room mate had been partying with some people last night, and I checked on him periodically through the night because they said he fell asleep. The last time I checked on him was around 4 am. When I fell asleep and woke up again around 8:30 he was no longer snoring. He was ghost white, cold and had dry blood coming out his nose. I had never found someone deceased like that before. He was my best friend and I tried my best to keep him from doing something stupid like this. I'm trying my best to get a hold of his family. I just don't know how to act or what to say anymore.

You were at the same house? You were just in your room or something?

Drug related?

Horrible news. Sorry to hear about your loss. I hope you find comfort somehow.

A boy, 16 years old, who I coach... OD'd on methadone two Fridays ago. Saddest funeral ever. He was a good kid; just made a stupid decision.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1351265623' post='1174713']
You were at the same house? You were just in your room or something?

Drug related?

Horrible news. Sorry to hear about your loss. I hope you find comfort somehow.

A boy, 16 years old, who I coach... OD'd on methadone two Fridays ago. Saddest funeral ever. He was a good kid; just made a stupid decision.
[/quote]

Yeah he has some other friends that live next door but I don't associate with them much. I don't snort pills and smoke dope. I believe he got some Xanax last night. The neighbor came to my room and told me he had passed out asleep. I went in there to check on him and he was snoring like crazy. I check on him through out the night and he was still snoring. Around 4 am I fell asleep and woke up at like 8:30. That's when I found him dead. Police questioned me about what happened last night and I told them the truth I stayed in my room, and I don't do drugs like that. I do believe they are going to stick a murder charge on the neighbor for getting the Xanax for him. It might be something like involuntary manslaughter. The neighbor has already been charged with trafficking before.

I tried my best to keep him from doing that stuff. He just got a big part of a disability settlement and swore he wouldn't do something like this. He actually had two relatives who died by overdose shortly after getting their disability. This is an unreal day. Telling his family that he died of an overdose under my roof is hard. I really had no idea what all was going on in his room. I keep to myself and try not to be connected with the type of people that would come to see him.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1351276067' post='1174778']
I don't know what to do with myself. I'm waiting for his sister to come get his belongings.
[/quote]

Once his sister comes to get his belongings, it's probably be good to just get out of the house. Go to a movie or something, just try to get your mind off it for a bit if possible.

I'm no lawyer and don't really know much about law. Also it sounds like you had nothing to do with this. With that being said it might be a good idea to delete this thread and or stop posting about this. Who knows what they could try to get you with, maybe knowing he was taking and not Doug anything? Or knowing he was messed up but not calling the cops? Once again I have no idea but I just wouldn't discuss it too much online till things settle down. But I don't know I might be way wrong.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1351282797' post='1174817']
I'm no lawyer and don't really know much about law. Also it sounds like you had nothing to do with this. With that being said it might be a good idea to delete this thread and or stop posting about this. Who knows what they could try to get you with, maybe knowing he was taking and not Doug anything? Or knowing he was messed up but not calling the cops? Once again I have no idea but I just wouldn't discuss it too much online till things settle down. But I don't know I might be way wrong.
[/quote]

I've already talked to the cops and I did absolutely nothing wrong. In fact they already arrested the neighbor. I didn't do anything wrong and haven't lied about anything.

Are you certain the neighbor got the pills? Your roommate did just feet his settlement.

Neighbor probably just got arrested for illegal possession of a prescription drug or something. Can you be convicted of manslaughter this way? I'm sure he didn't force your roommate to take anything. The only way I could see him being charged is if your roommate was deemed mentally incapable and disabled and the neighbor influenced him into doing the drugs.

What kind of disability was he on?

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1351282897' post='1174818']

I've already talked to the cops and I did absolutely nothing wrong. In fact they already arrested the neighbor. I didn't do anything wrong and haven't lied about anything.
[/quote]

You can't stop someone from doing drugs. If someone wants to swallow something, it's probably going to happen. It sounds like you didn't even know for sure he was on anything.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1351284026' post='1174821']
You can't stop someone from doing drugs. If someone wants to swallow something, it's probably going to happen. It sounds like you didn't even know for sure he was on anything.
[/quote]

Well he just got a pretty significant disability amount. I tried to watch him as best I could because he did have a bad drug problem. When I got my money, me and him had planned on buying a truck and a nice camper and traveling the country. Unfortunately he is an adult and I can't make him doing anything. He had told me in the past that he had 2 relatives that had gotten Social Security checks and they overdosed within a few months. He just got part of his like 4 days ago. He promised me this wouldn't happen, and now this. His sister is here getting his stuff. I just can't explain the numbness feeling I have. I have had relatives die including my father, I should be getting used to this bye now.

You're on disability too?

My sister has been trying to get it. She's also a felon; not sure if you can get disability with that on your record.

And guess what he was convicted of.... assisting someone in a drug deal. I can't remember the legal name of the charge, but she was a pasenger in her car, and allowed someone else to drive it and use it in a drug deal.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1351289835' post='1174837']
You're on disability too?

My sister has been trying to get it. She's also a felon; not sure if you can get disability with that on your record.

And guess what he was convicted of.... assisting someone in a drug deal. I can't remember the legal name of the charge, but she was a pasenger in her car, and allowed someone else to drive it and use it in a drug deal.
[/quote]

No I am waiting on my court case. I have several problems but the one I can't do anything about is my back. The only way I could take care of things is getting Disability and the insurance for the operation. I was in a car accident where the guy that at fault was under-insured. So not I hate to wait like 2 years for a settlement, only to find out the money I was getting from him would go to pay off all my medical bills, other bills that were behind, and my lawyers fees. So now I have been stuck holding the bag because of that. I have nothing on my record I just have been stuck in the long line of disabled people.

The coroner released my room mates belongings to his sister and he told them that the neighbor is in BIG trouble. He said he couldn't get any further in detail. I'm guessing murder or Involuntary manslaughter.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1351290561' post='1174839']
How could he be in trouble? Not being combative; j just really don't know how he could.
[/quote]

If it comes back as an over dose, he not only went and got the drugs for him, he took them with him and knew how much he had taken and didn't tell me. Plus, even though I live in a good town, the neighbor was already on probation for dealing drugs. He was caught on video and audio doing it. The Police Chief or whomever it was that took my statement really didn't have to ask me any questions once I told him that my neighbor and a girl were in his room with him last night. The way my apartment is set up I can't see who goes in and out of his room when I am in my room with the door shut. The police searched his room and found a bunch of pills I had no idea about, then his sister found even more that was put in sugar tester strip bottles. She gave them to the coroner and he said he thinks they were Hydorcodone and some kind of never medicine. Cloazapam or something like that?

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1351290774' post='1174841']
How could he be in trouble? Not being combative; j just really don't know how he could.
[/quote]

If you leave someone knowing they may have overdosed and don't at least call for help I know that they can get you fro manslaughter. But they would have to prove that you knew the person was in need and did nothing.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1351291844' post='1174845']
If you leave someone knowing they may have overdosed and don't at least call for help I know that they can get you fro manslaughter. But they would have to prove that you knew the person was in need and did nothing.
[/quote]

I had no idea what he had actually taken, the neighbor and the girl that was in his room did. I had no idea about a bunch of the stuff in his room. To make things even worse, they can't do an autopsy here, they sent his body to Frankfurt. Not to mention I have to keep reliving this over and over today, every time a member of his family calls.

Archived