MY Mock

Again, I have more than one memory of Rey running around, confused, with Burfict barking at him where to line up.  Perhaps if Rey has less to think about he could be a better player...

you continue to make too much of that. You can find 10:1 times where Rey did the same to Burfict, not to mention stuff like that happens on EVERY team.  It's called communication.  Guys pointing out different things to their teammates.

Watch other defenses.  You'll see it.

you continue to make too much of that. You can find 10:1 times where Rey did the same to Burfict, not to mention stuff like that happens on EVERY team.  It's called communication.  Guys pointing out different things to their teammates.

Watch other defenses.  You'll see it.

I'm not talking about communicating.  And I'm really not even talking about Burfict barking orders at Rey, either.  What I'm really talking about is Rey, throwing up his arms, clueless, and running around like a chicken without his head.  Rey quit on us in that Houston game long before it was over.  And you could see it.  He speaks with very loud body language, and it's obvious when he's lost (or given up)- which is really something you don't want out of the "QB of the Defense." 

I'm not talking about communicating.  And I'm really not even talking about Burfict barking orders at Rey, either.  What I'm really talking about is Rey, throwing up his arms, clueless, and running around like a chicken without his head.  Rey quit on us in that Houston game long before it was over.  And you could see it.  He speaks with very loud body language, and it's obvious when he's lost (or given up)- which is really something you don't want out of the "QB of the Defense." 

throw out some examples.  You can say a lot of things about Rey's game, but I've never once seen anything like that.

To go back through games to which I don't have access would take too much time, but why not rely on words from Rey himself, when talking about Vontaze's understanding of the game?

"He's way ahead of schedule. Way ahead of where I thought he would have been," Maualuga said. "Way ahead of where I was last year at the mike position. Smart, he's very patient. That's where I tend to learn my game from watching him play in our practice reps."

Our middle linebacker is LEARNING HIS GAME from the new inexperienced guy?!

Child please.

I don't think he quit, if that was the case I doubt the coaching staff would have pushed to bring him back because they see him practice and they would know if he was giving it 100% effort or not.

Look Rey is not the most physically gifted MLB or the most instinctual MLB but I will say he tries hard when his out there on the field. He gives it his all, sometimes it's not good enough and that's the problem that many fans have with this guy....but maybe the coaches feel like they can get something more out of him and he has some room to improve...well just have to wait and see.

I don't think he quit, if that was the case I doubt the coaching staff would have pushed to bring him back because they see him practice and they would know if he was giving it 100% effort or not.

Look Rey is not the most physically gifted MLB or the most instinctual MLB but I will say he tries hard when his out there on the field. He gives it his all, sometimes it's not good enough and that's the problem that many fans have with this guy....but maybe the coaches feel like they can get something more out of him and he has some room to improve...well just have to wait and see.

See, that's the thing. I don't see him trying hard.  Those guys, I love, and frankly, I feel that they don't get the credit they deserve.  

See BJGE. That guy brings it all every play, and I'm convinced that type of effort adds about a yard to his YPC.  Just that little extra bit every time.  

But Rey? How many times have we seen him jogging after the play, or to the sideline when he thinks a player is boxed in by others or going to run out of bounds? I think Rey, rather, is the type of guy that wants people to like him, that wants to be the hard worker - but those same desires are the same things that take the fire he needs in his belly out of him.  He's a nice guy.  Burfict, meanwhile, is jawing and jostling and wants to hurt some bitches.

Honey Badger Don't Care was funny because it was true.  That little fucker is hardwired to take on the viper, and even after it bites him, he shakes it off and goes back for more.  Give me 22 of those guys, even with limited ceilings, and I'll give you a Super Bowl.

(incidentally, this is also why the guys that have Talent AND that Attitude (see Atkins, Geno and Green, AJ) are true superstars that you build a team around - and deserve to get paid every penny.  The message they are sending to the rest of the team is "Talent is nice; Tenacity is better."

See, that's the thing. I don't see him trying hard.  Those guys, I love, and frankly, I feel that they don't get the credit they deserve.  

See BJGE. That guy brings it all every play, and I'm convinced that type of effort adds about a yard to his YPC.  Just that little extra bit every time.  

But Rey? How many times have we seen him jogging after the play, or to the sideline when he thinks a player is boxed in by others or going to run out of bounds? I think Rey, rather, is the type of guy that wants people to like him, that wants to be the hard worker - but those same desires are the same things that take the fire he needs in his belly out of him.  He's a nice guy.  Burfict, meanwhile, is jawing and jostling and wants to hurt some bitches.

Honey Badger Don't Care was funny because it was true.  That little fucker is hardwired to take on the viper, and even after it bites him, he shakes it off and goes back for more.  Give me 22 of those guys, even with limited ceilings, and I'll give you a Super Bowl.

(incidentally, this is also why the guys that have Talent AND that Attitude (see Atkins, Geno and Green, AJ) are true superstars that you build a team around - and deserve to get paid every penny.  The message they are sending to the rest of the team is "Talent is nice; Tenacity is better."

i hear ya...but I don't think a coach like Mike Zimmer who is known around the league for being a hard ass would let a player who dogged it on the field start and be the captian of his defense...I just can't see that happening.

• 1 month later...

v.3.0

1.Jarvis Jones OLB UGA - Unlikey he falls this far but I hope his subpar workout and injury history keeps teams away. Jones is a straight up stud and with the recent signing of Harrison would give this defense another pass rushing beast at the OLB position. 

2.Eddie Lacy RB Bama - Another guy with great production but subpar pre-draft workouts. Don't know if Lacy will fall the to the 37th pick but if he does then make that move. Lacy would be a great feature back for this offense, he just needs to improve on his pass blocking. He can learn from BGJE for a few years and be the man for the next 5-7 years.

2. DJ Swearinger S USC - A versatile safety who played a ton cb this season due to injury, he's a physical player who makes himself known to opposing wr's.

3. Kyle Long OT Oregon - Long is a great athlete who is inexperienced as he only played one season at Oregon, I think our coaching staff can get him up to speed after a season or two. Long could be the starting OT in a few years, he's got great potential.

4. Vince Williams LB FSU - Williams is a physical player who can come in and be a ST demon while learns the defense.

5. Brandon Kaufman WR Eastern Washington - Tall WR who caught 16 TD's last season, a real red zone who could be a solid possesion receiver.

Don't really feel like doing 6th and 7th round picks because they probably won't make the team...

Jarvis makes no sense with Harrison signing now.  The rest is pretty good, though I'm not a big Kaufman fan.  It's also sounding like Kyle Long may sneak into the top 20. He certainly won't be there in the 3rd.

He's the BPA in my dream scenario, plus it's not like Harrison the long term answer. He has a two year deal, same as Rey, that means there will be some open spots at LB in the next few years so why pass on potential stud LB because of the current roster.

Plus if you take Jones and move Burifict to MLB then Rey can go to the bench were most fans think he belongs.

As for Long in the top 20 I think that would be a reach but he has potential to be a good player in the NFL.

Jarvis makes no sense with Harrison signing now.  The rest is pretty good, though I'm not a big Kaufman fan.  It's also sounding like Kyle Long may sneak into the top 20. He certainly won't be there in the 3rd.

Jones can play either SLB or WLB. He would be a great pick. 

1. Eric Reid S LSU
2. Terron Armstead OT Arkansas Pine-Bluff
2. Jonathan Franklin RB UCLA
3. Tryann Mathieu CB/KR/PR LSU
4. John Simon DE/OLB OSU
5. Vince Williams LB FSU
6. Mike Catapano DE Princeton
6. Brandon Kaufman WR Eastern Washington
7. Etine Sabino LB OSU
7. Spencer Ware RB LSU

Nice one. I have several of the same, or same position/different guy...

1 Eric Reid, S LSU
2a Kyle Long, T/G Oregon
2b Jonathan Franklin, RB UCLA
3 Tyrann Mathieu, DB/RS LSU
4 Ryan Swope, WR, Texas A&M
5 Nico Johnson, LB Alabama
6a Corey Fuller, WR Va Tech
6b Mike Catapano, DE Princeton
7a Jonathan Stewart, LB Texas A&M
7b Theo Riddick, RB Notre Dame

Nice one. I have several of the same, or same position/different guy...

1 Eric Reid, S LSU
2a Kyle Long, T/G Oregon
2b Jonathan Franklin, RB UCLA
3 Tyrann Mathieu, DB/RS LSU
4 Ryan Swope, WR, Texas A&M
5 Nico Johnson, LB Alabama
6a Corey Fuller, WR Va Tech
6b Mike Catapano, DE Princeton
7a Jonathan Stewart, LB Texas A&M
7b Theo Riddick, RB Notre Dame

that'd be a pretty solid top 4.  I don't think Swope fits though, already a pile up at slot WR.

that'd be a pretty solid top 4.  I don't think Swope fits though, already a pile up at slot WR.

I think he could play outside... he's a strong kid. For that matter, so could Sanu. I'm sure both would get time in the slot, but a lot of peeps said Kendall Wright, who's smaller than Swope, was a slot guy, and every time I saw Tenn play, he was lined up outside. 

Jones has no business in a 4-3

Why do you say that?

I think he's very scheme versatile, he can drop back into coverage, set the edge vs. run attack, and get after the qb. Before the underwear olympics started he was considered to be the best LB prospect and a top 10 pick, but workout warriors like Jordan, Ansah, and Mingo are considered better prospects because of a 40 time or other drill.

On the field Jones proved he was a special player and if he falls to #21 then we would lucky to have him on the team.

Why do you say that?

I think he's very scheme versatile, he can drop back into coverage, set the edge vs. run attack, and get after the qb. Before the underwear olympics started he was considered to be the best LB prospect and a top 10 pick, but workout warriors like Jordan, Ansah, and Mingo are considered better prospects because of a 40 time or other drill.

On the field Jones proved he was a special player and if he falls to #21 then we would lucky to have him on the team.

Well he's never played in a 4-3 and I've yet to see any tape of him in coverage. No doubt he has a good motor and is a savvy pass rusher but unlike Von Miller (who many poorly compare him to) he absolutely does not have the athletic ability to be a 4-3 linebacker. It's a waste of his talent. He's at his best chasing the qb in a 3-4. Plus he has that whole degenerative spine thing that will shorten his career.

Well he's never played in a 4-3 and I've yet to see any tape of him in coverage. No doubt he has a good motor and is a savvy pass rusher but unlike Von Miller (who many poorly compare him to) he absolutely does not have the athletic ability to be a 4-3 linebacker. It's a waste of his talent. He's at his best chasing the qb in a 3-4. Plus he has that whole degenerative spine thing that will shorten his career.

He wasn't asked to cover much in college but he did have 4 passes defensed and an INT, so has some experience defending the pass. I'm sure he can do it given his abilities to get to the qb.

As for the whole spine thing, it's an non-issue..He dominated two years in the SEC with the spine condition and he never missed a game because of it. His production is at UGA was unreal, we would be lucky to have him on the team.

He wasn't asked to cover much in college but he did have 4 passes defensed and an INT, so has some experience defending the pass. I'm sure he can do it given his abilities to get to the qb.

As for the whole spine thing, it's an non-issue..He dominated two years in the SEC with the spine condition and he never missed a game because of it. His production is at UGA was unreal, we would be lucky to have him on the team.

It's the degenerative part that screws him. It will continue to get worse. He's not going to have a long career.

Archived