MY Mock

I would love to get Vaccaro but he will be long gone by 21. Im not sure im sold on Elam at 37 but wouldnt hate the pick and the next best guy (from FIU) will be drafted before pick 2b most likely.

21 is too high for any RB this year. My guess is Lacy and Bernard will both be gone by 37. Ellington is the next best player at that position, is a great value in rd 4 and will complement BJGE nicely.

They need to upgrade the O-Line. Cook is below average and clearly the way they mishandled that position the back half of last season leads me to believe they arent all that high on Robinson either. Dont count out Barrett Jones, he can play all over the line. If he's there at 2b he's definately a value pick and worth the look. He starts day one on any team.

If Jones or Hall go down we are fucked. We can always use a legit corner.

Cook and Robinson are fine at center. They weren't confident with Robinson playing against Pitt and Baltimore because he literally never played center before he was in the NFL. Extremely green. He is the future at the position. We're not spending a highly valuable 2nd round pick on a center when we have 1 solid vet and a very young guy who played a high level in his first year at the position.

If any team loses their top corner they're fucked. Hall, Kirkpatrick, re-signed Jones, re-signed Newman, healthy Prater/Ghee is a very good group of corners.

Not only is Giovanni Bernard the best back in this draft, he's also a much better for or the Bengals than Eddie Lacy.

Tyrann Mathieu as a second round pick would be stupid. If all of our free agents are back, you're talking about a guy that would struggle to even make the team. If the Bengals want to add a corner, it should be at 21 on a guy that would push to start in the very near term.

FWIW, I'd like to see the Bengals come out of this draft with a QB. I don't think Tyler Bray will fall anywhere near the 5th round. I think the Bengals should invest their 3rd or 4th rounder on a guy like Bray or E.J. Manuel.

man, I didn't even catch that Mathieu was a 2nd rounder until just now.  Even if you take out his issues, he's still a 5'8" 174lb corner.  He was only a 2nd round prospect at best in most people's eyes BEFORE he got kicked out of LSU.

Cook and Robinson are fine at center. They weren't confident with Robinson playing against Pitt and Baltimore because he literally never played center before he was in the NFL. Extremely green. He is the future at the position. We're not spending a highly valuable 2nd round pick on a center when we have 1 solid vet and a very young guy who played a high level in his first year at the position.

If any team loses their top corner they're fucked. Hall, Kirkpatrick, re-signed Jones, re-signed Newman, healthy Prater/Ghee is a very good group of corners.

a combined 4 sacks and 16 pressures from a rookie and a vet who's coach said he was only at 85%.  

Here is my post combine mock:

1st. 21: Alec Ogletree ILB Georgia
2nd 37: Johnathan Banks CB Mississippi St.
2nd 53: Barrett Jones C Alabama
3rd 84: Brandon Jenkins LB Florida St.4th 115: Andre Ellington RB Clemson
5th 149: Shamarko Thomas SS Syracuse
6th 180: Marquess Wilson WR Washington St.
6th 187: Caleb Sturgis K Florida

I would punch my wife if we ended up with those picks

a combined 4 sacks and 16 pressures from a rookie and a vet who's coach said he was only at 85%.  

As far as that stat line goes it needs to add that was in 8 starts.  Where would 8 sacks and 32 pressures given up by the Center position for all 16 games rank?

As far as that stat line goes it needs to add that was in 8 starts.  Where would 8 sacks and 32 pressures given up by the Center position for all 16 games rank?

good point, and probably not great, but it can't just be assumed that it will double (though I get why you did it).  Between the two of them they started 9 games, and then Robinson played an entire half of another game. So basically 4 sacks and 16 pressures in 9 1/2 games.

For perspective, Andre Smith I beleive gave up 7 sacks and took nearly every snap.

probably not great, but it can't just be assumed that it will double (though I get why you did it).  Between the two of them they started 9 games, and then Robinson played an entire half of another game. So basically 4 sacks and 16 pressures in 9 1/2 games.

Andre Smith I beleive gave up 7 sacks and took nearly every snap.

Wow.  Smith gave up 7 sacks?  I saw where PFF had him giving up a total of 9 hits.  But didn't see anything on sacks. 

Ogletree ain't happening.  The Bengals will take character risks, but not in the first round, and he was a character risk BEFORE his recent DUI.

Bengals MO under Marvin is safe, sensible first round picks who can come in and play right away.

Dre Kirkpatrick just last year dropped down the board because of marijuana possession.  Before you say charges were dropped and mysteriously, no reason was given, the guy was higher than Mr. Towlie in his mugshot.

Dre Kirkpatrick just last year dropped down the board because of marijuana possession.  Before you say charges were dropped and mysteriously, no reason was given, the guy was higher than Mr. Towlie in his mugshot.

it was also an isolated incident.  Ogletree had character concerns before the DUI.

Wow.  Smith gave up 7 sacks?  I saw where PFF had him giving up a total of 9 hits.  But didn't see anything on sacks. 

He was responsible for seven sacks last season, which led the entire offensive line in that regard. Those seven sacks tie him for tenth among all tackles, putting him in the bottom-third of the league. Moreover, Smith also surrendered a total of 33 quarterback pressures, compared to only 16 byAndrew Whitworth. You can argue that comparing Smith to Whitworth is misleading, as Whitworth was graded as the best pass blocking tackle in the league last season, but Smith still gave up enough pressures to exclude him from being in the top third of all tackles in that category for 2012.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2013/2/27/4035840/cincinnati-bengals-commentary-is-andre-smith-really-deserving-of-a-big-payday

Thanks for the info B1181.   I was thinking Smith was more average in Pass Pro and obviously excelled in Rushing.   Really wonder what Smith and his agents perceived value is versus what the Bengals think.  

Thanks for the info B1181.   I was thinking Smith was more average in Pass Pro and obviously excelled in Rushing.   Really wonder what Smith and his agents perceived value is versus what the Bengals think.  

I think what will help is that he was basically already being paid as the top RT in the league based on money/yr, so he and his agent can't really point to anyone else and say "my new contract should be higher than that guy's."

Ogletree is soft.  He has many of the same traits everyone hates about Maualuga.  Doesn't attack the line and struggles to shed blocks. Doesn't have tape to show he can play man coverage. He's a first round athlete with second round play.

And he wouldn't really be "slipping".  He was likely a late teens guy as it was before the DUI.

Maybe you should reevaluate your "tape"

@McShay13: Pound-for-pound,Ogletree is one of five-best athletes and football players this class has to offer. Shake my head in amazement every tape.

@McShay13: When you make as many plays as #9 (UGA LB Ogletree) it's much easier to overlook some baggage. Right or wrong.. just facts of life.

Yea I saw those, and I still disagree with him. Ogletree looks like a top ten pick for ten plays a game and a second round pick for the other 50.

And don't forget that in the past McShay has been accused of overhyping players of certain agents.

That's one thing that you have to take into account during the draft process, alot of these talking heads on ESPN and the NFL Network have relationships with agents and they use their position as a TV analyst to their advantage. It's a way for them to supplement their income and also get "insider" information. Perfect example would be Deion Sanders and Eugene Parker, Parker represents alot of NFL players one of them is ex-Bengal Ced Benson. Back in 09-10 season whenever Benson would have a big game Deion would be on NFL Network yelling "pay da man"...he also got Dez Bryant suspended in his last year because of their relationship.

That's one thing that you have to take into account during the draft process, alot of these talking heads on ESPN and the NFL Network have relationships with agents and they use their position as a TV analyst to their advantage. It's a way for them to supplement their income and also get "insider" information. Perfect example would be Deion Sanders and Eugene Parker, Parker represents alot of NFL players one of them is ex-Bengal Ced Benson. Back in 09-10 season whenever Benson would have a big game Deion would be on NFL Network yelling "pay da man"...he also got Dez Bryant suspended in his last year because of their relationship.

Trent Dilfer also hypes players who have the same agent as him. At one point he called Mark Sanchez a top 10 QB. I think it was early 2012.

• 3 weeks later...

Updated Mock..

1. Eddie Lacy RB Alabama

2. Menelik Watson OT FSU

2. DJ Swearinger S USC

3. Tyron Mathieu CB/PR/KR LSU

4. Mike Gillislee RB UF

5. Vince Williams MLB FSU

6. Etienne Sabino OLB OSU

6. Brandon Kaufman WR EWU

7. James Vandenberg QB Iowa

7. Quanterus Smith DE WKU

BEST MOCK EVAH!!!!

Yesterday Mayock mentioned how well Vince Williams looked at the FSU pro day. Mentioned how he's off of most radars due to not being invited to the combine, but said NFL types know who he is and most have him graded as a 3rd round guy. While he spoke they showed some rather unspectacular highlites of Williams but he did look well put together and he moved and changed direction very smoothly. 

Updated Mock..

1. Eddie Lacy RB Alabama

2. Menelik Watson OT FSU

2. DJ Swearinger S USC

3. Tyron Mathieu CB/PR/KR LSU

4. Mike Gillislee RB UF

5. Vince Williams MLB FSU

6. Etienne Sabino OLB OSU

6. Brandon Kaufman WR EWU

7. James Vandenberg QB Iowa

7. Quanterus Smith DE WKU

BEST MOCK EVAH!!!!

I like some of those picks, but I don't see us waiting to take LB until 5 and 6.  Little chance to upgrade our most glaring need.

Yesterday Mayock mentioned how well Vince Williams looked at the FSU pro day. Mentioned how he's off of most radars due to not being invited to the combine, but said NFL types know who he is and most have him graded as a 3rd round guy. While he spoke they showed some rather unspectacular highlites of Williams but he did look well put together and he moved and changed direction very smoothly. 

I saw Williams at the Senior Bowl and he was looking like one of the best LB's there, he's a very physical player who makes himself known when he hits someone. Perfect for special teams and stopping the run, I think there is some solid depth at LB in the 2nd and 3rd day of the draft.

I saw Williams at the Senior Bowl and he was looking like one of the best LB's there, he's a very physical player who makes himself known when he hits someone. Perfect for special teams and stopping the run, I think there is some solid depth at LB in the 2nd and 3rd day of the draft.

I watched some of him a couple of weeks ago.  Remember him being an interesting prospect for SLB.  

I like some of those picks, but I don't see us waiting to take LB until 5 and 6.  Little chance to upgrade our most glaring need.

I disagree that LB is our most glaring need and I don't think there are too many rookie LB's available that could come in and do a better job than the guys we have on the roster. Also, I think we will re-sign Howard once he's fully recovered from his knee injury. If we don't re-sign Howard then I do think we will take a LB in the first three rounds.

I really like Lamur, I think he can be the athletic LB on passing downs that this defense needs. He's already in the Bengals program and the coaches seem to like him so why draft another young LB to do the samething that Lamur would do.

I disagree that LB is our most glaring need and I don't think there are too many rookie LB's available that could come in and do a better job than the guys we have on the roster. Also, I think we will re-sign Howard once he's fully recovered from his knee injury. If we don't re-sign Howard then I do think we will take a LB in the first three rounds.

I really like Lamur, I think he can the athletic LB on passing downs that this defense needs. He's already in the Bengals program and the coaches seem to like him so why draft another young LB to do the samething that Lamur would do.

Fair points.  I guess my concern is that we have a lot of unknowns at the position.  Burfict will play somewhere, but other than that we don't know what's going to happen.  

Howard isn't even on the team yet.  Lamur looked promising, but if Burfict moves to the middle, he's your only WSLB.  And then we have a scrum of people who are going to be in play at SLB, none of them totally proven (Rey would be the most, assuming he goes there).

I guess it all depends on whether or not they actually plan on moving Burfict/Rey.  Depending on which way they slide them, I think we'll still need to draft at least one WLB or SLB.  Of course, they could fool us all and leave Burfict in at WLB, slide Rey over to SLB, and then draft a starting MLB...

Fair points.  I guess my concern is that we have a lot of unknowns at the position.  Burfict will play somewhere, but other than that we don't know what's going to happen.  

Howard isn't even on the team yet.  Lamur looked promising, but if Burfict moves to the middle, he's your only WSLB.  And then we have a scrum of people who are going to be in play at SLB, none of them totally proven (Rey would be the most, assuming he goes there).

I guess it all depends on whether or not they actually plan on moving Burfict/Rey.  Depending on which way they slide them, I think we'll still need to draft at least one WLB or SLB.  Of course, they could fool us all and leave Burfict in at WLB, slide Rey over to SLB, and then draft a starting MLB...

My only concern with drafting a rookie MLB like Ogletree or Alonso or swithing Burfict from OLB to MLB is that their will be a learning curve from college to the NFL. The MLB is the QB of the defense; he has to make the reads, put everybody into position, and then make a play if he can.

Most QB's struggle their first few years in the league, hell look at Dalton. He's looked good at times and other times not so much, but why most fans don't give MLB's the same leeway to learn the position and grow into it I don't understand. This is why Zimmer made the comment about switching Burfict to MLB because he understands it's not an easy position to play and it may take a guy a couple of years to fully understand everything that it takes to play the position without hesitation. 

And if you think about it from that perspective you can see why Marvin said he has no plans to move Rey, because Rey has qb'd two top 10 defenses since he has been the starting MLB for the Bengals. I know it has alot to do the pass rush and emergence of guys like Atkins, Dunlap, and Johnson but you can't discredit the positive things that Rey has done for this team...Zimmer and Marvin don't and that's really all that matters.

Archived