MY Mock

I'm making these picks on the assumption that we re-sign the following players: MJ, Smith, Gilberry, Geather, Sims, Peerman, Hawkins, Howard, Mauluga, & A Jones.

1.Eddie Lacy RB Alabama -Marvin said he wanted to run the ball and by taking Lacy in the first we get the best rb available in FA or the draft, imo. Lacy will learn from fellow LA native BJGE on how to be a pro and will be an excellent compliment to the rest of the back on the roster. Lacy also makes Dalton better because he forces defenses to respect the running game which should free up the playmakers like Green, Sanu, Gresham, etc...

2a.DJ Swearinger S USC - Swearinger is a beast, Zimmer loves the guy.

2b.Tyron Mathieu CB/KR/PR - Possible the best player in the draft, could be the playmaker this team needs to win a Super Bowl..he's a big play waiting to happen.

3. Jamie Collins LB Southern Miss

4. Menelik Watson OT FSU

5.Tyler Bray QB Tennessee 

6.a Vince Williams LB FSU

6.b Miguel Maysonet RB Stony Brook

How are we keeping both Johnson and Smith and why are we keeping Hawkins?

Signing both or...

Signing one and franchising the other.

Hawkins is productive and gives a dimension, broken field running, lacking in the other receivers.  Plus he's an ace cover guy on ST's.

I like Lacy at 21. I have him falling to 37, but a lot depends on his pro day.

The second round is high for Swearinger. I see him as a solid 3rd rounder. If we take honey badger any higher than 4, I'll be pissed. One, CB is not a need. He hasn't played football in over a year, when he did, he was not great in coverage. He made a lot of plays on blitz packages and ST, but when put on an island with a wr, he got beat a lot. Lastly he is too much of an off field risk to use a 2nd round pick.

The late picks are great.

As long as they re-sign Andre, I think the only two guys on offense I'd consider using the 21st pick on are Tavon Austin and Johnathan Cooper...and that's only because both of them are so unique. You're not gonna be able to find guys like those two later on down the road IMO.

Here is my post combine mock:

1st. 21: Alec Ogletree ILB Georgia

2nd 37: Johnathan Banks CB Mississippi St.

2nd 53: Barrett Jones C Alabama

3rd 84: Brandon Jenkins LB Florida St.
4th 115: Andre Ellington RB Clemson

5th 149: Shamarko Thomas SS Syracuse

6th 180: Marquess Wilson WR Washington St.

6th 187: Caleb Sturgis K Florida

Here is my post combine mock:

1st. 21: Alec Ogletree ILB Georgia
2nd 37: Johnathan Banks CB Mississippi St.
2nd 53: Barrett Jones C Alabama
3rd 84: Brandon Jenkins LB Florida St.
4th 115: Andre Ellington RB Clemson
5th 149: Shamarko Thomas SS Syracuse
6th 180: Marquess Wilson WR Washington St.
6th 187: Caleb Sturgis K Florida

You hate the Bengals?

He also takes the BPA and if Ogletree slips to 21 I think it would be hard for them to pass on him. Especially if Rey isnt back. Fills a huge need and would be a great value pick at 21. The Bengals have proven they will take a risk if the value is there. Im sick of being average in the middle of our Defense. Ogletree is a beast

He also takes the BPA and if Ogletree slips to 21 I think it would be hard for them to pass on him. Especially if Rey isnt back. Fills a huge need and would be a great value pick at 21. The Bengals have proven they will take a risk if the value is there. Im sick of being average in the middle of our Defense. Ogletree is a beast

Ogletree is soft.  He has many of the same traits everyone hates about Maualuga.  Doesn't attack the line and struggles to shed blocks. Doesn't have tape to show he can play man coverage. He's a first round athlete with second round play.

And he wouldn't really be "slipping".  He was likely a late teens guy as it was before the DUI.

I disagree... Mayock (one of the best) and many others have Ogletree rated their top ILB and being drafted top 15. The Bengals havent had a top notch MLB in a decade... I would like to note id be equally happy with Xavier Rhodes at 21 and Kevin Minter at 37.

Absolutely not.

Ogletree is a complete dumbass, Banks fills zero need and absolutely bombed the combine and we're not drafting a center. Ellington is a speed back that ran a 40 slower than Green-Ellis. I like Thomas and while I don't think he lasts until round 5, I hate waiting so long to fill our #1 need. Same with waiting on a RB until 4. If you flip Banks and Jones with a safety and a running back I would like this much more.

I disagree... Mayock (one of the best) and many others have Ogletree rated their top ILB and being drafted top 15. The Bengals havent had a top notch MLB in a decade... I would like to note id be equally happy with Xavier Rhodes at 21 and Kevin Minter at 37.

He may be the top MLB but we learned our lesson already in taking ultra talented Georgia linebackers with no brain

Ogletree is a complete dumbass, Banks fills zero need and absolutely bombed the combine and we're not drafting a center. Ellington is a speed back that ran a 40 slower than Green-Ellis. I like Thomas and while I don't think he lasts until round 5, I hate waiting so long to fill our #1 need. Same with waiting on a RB until 4. If you flip Banks and Jones with a safety and a running back I would like this much more.

to be fair, Ellington pulled a hammy in the middle of that 40 (only ran once).  He's certainly faster than a 4.61.

I would love to get Vaccaro but he will be long gone by 21. Im not sure im sold on Elam at 37 but wouldnt hate the pick and the next best guy (from FIU) will be drafted before pick 2b most likely.

21 is too high for any RB this year. My guess is Lacy and Bernard will both be gone by 37. Ellington is the next best player at that position, is a great value in rd 4 and will complement BJGE nicely.

They need to upgrade the O-Line. Cook is below average and clearly the way they mishandled that position the back half of last season leads me to believe they arent all that high on Robinson either. Dont count out Barrett Jones, he can play all over the line. If he's there at 2b he's definately a value pick and worth the look. He starts day one on any team.

If Jones or Hall go down we are fucked. We can always use a legit corner.

Not only is Giovanni Bernard the best back in this draft, he's also a much better for or the Bengals than Eddie Lacy.

Tyrann Mathieu as a second round pick would be stupid. If all of our free agents are back, you're talking about a guy that would struggle to even make the team. If the Bengals want to add a corner, it should be at 21 on a guy that would push to start in the very near term.

FWIW, I'd like to see the Bengals come out of this draft with a QB. I don't think Tyler Bray will fall anywhere near the 5th round. I think the Bengals should invest their 3rd or 4th rounder on a guy like Bray or E.J. Manuel.

Archived