Any bass fisherman here?

Couldn't find a thread anywhere about this topic. I was just curious and wondering if anyone here is as addicted to it as I am? Any special lures you would recommend or good places to go? I'm in central ohio and hoping to try other spots. I usually stick with soft plastics and spinner baits occasionally. Anyone have a color or brand that always seems to work?

Couldn't find a thread anywhere about this topic. I was just curious and wondering if anyone here is as addicted to it as I am? Any special lures you would recommend or good places to go? I'm in central ohio and hoping to try other spots. I usually stick with soft plastics and spinner baits occasionally. Anyone have a color or brand that always seems to work?

I would not say I am addicted but I was a huge fan of bass fishing for the longest time, I just prefer the taste of catfish.  I used the same method my father taught me and never really knew the name of it until you asked this question.  It's called a Texas rig but I learned it here in Kentucky.  Plastic worms can be used year round but I have a couple spinners that were handed down to me that if one does not work, I just simply switch out.  Some people I see on the lake have tried to turn this whole fishing thing into a scientific experiment.  I'd prefer just to have fun and stop over analyzing things when it comes to fishing. Best place for enjoyment is where the pole goes in the water and out comes a story...  Land Between the Lakes area in Kentucky is pretty nice and the other half actually has things to do that are not related to cleaning and cooking fish...

Pretty cool resource with a lot of good info is at the following address;

http://www.bassresource.com/beginner/Texas_Rig.html

I love to bass fish and here are a few of my favorite baits.

Rubber worm/ Soft Plastic:

1.Gary Yamamato Senkos are quite possibly the best artificial bait made. I rig the worm weedless (texas rig without the bullet weight) and just slowly twitch the bait and retrieve. I prefer the 5" Senkos in Watermelon, Motoroil w/red flake, June Bug, Rootbeer, Watermelon magic, and Rainbow Trout. These baits work in nearly every scenario, and are virtually all I use anymore.

2. Zoom Trick Worm in White or Junebug  (Tie a barrel swivel on and use a 12" monofilament leader.) Rig the worm weedless  and twitch to retrieve.

Top water baits:

1. Storm Rattlin Chug Bug  2 1/2" in Bullfrog or Bleeding Tennessee Shad

2. Boo Yah Pond Magic Buzz Bait 1/8 in Limetruse

Suspending baits:

1. Smithwick Floating Rattlin Rogue  4 1/2" in Tiger Roan (formerly known as Fire Tiger)

2. Any brand of single willow leaf blade spinnerbait in white or chartreuse (if you can only find double willow blade keep the top one and cut the bottom one off.

hope this is helpful!

I fish smallmouth. It's about all we have up here in the Catskills of New York. I'm primarily a trout fisherman, especially with flies. But when the weather is hot, the trout are not too active. That's when I fish the smallmouth. I catch them up to about 19 inches, which is a nice size for smallmouth. Those fish, I believe, put up the best fight, pound for pound, out of all freshwater fish. What do I use? Just a spinner. Specifically these ...   http://www.panthermartin.com/Lures/spinners/red-hooks

They get the job done. Let's say I never go a day fishing without catching at least 2 nice size fish.

I love to bass fish and here are a few of my favorite baits.

Rubber worm/ Soft Plastic:

1.Gary Yamamato Senkos are quite possibly the best artificial bait made. I rig the worm weedless (texas rig without the bullet weight) and just slowly twitch the bait and retrieve. I prefer the 5" Senkos in Watermelon, Motoroil w/red flake, June Bug, Rootbeer, Watermelon magic, and Rainbow Trout. These baits work in nearly every scenario, and are virtually all I use anymore.

2. Zoom Trick Worm in White or Junebug  (Tie a barrel swivel on and use a 12" monofilament leader.) Rig the worm weedless  and twitch to retrieve.

Top water baits:

1. Storm Rattlin Chug Bug  2 1/2" in Bullfrog or Bleeding Tennessee Shad

2. Boo Yah Pond Magic Buzz Bait 1/8 in Limetruse

Suspending baits:

1. Smithwick Floating Rattlin Rogue  4 1/2" in Tiger Roan (formerly known as Fire Tiger)

2. Any brand of single willow leaf blade spinnerbait in white or chartreuse (if you can only find double willow blade keep the top one and cut the bottom one off.

hope this is helpful!

Thanks for the reply. I've never tried anything by Yamamato. I'll have to give those a try sometime. As far as what I would recommend:

1.) Berkley 4" power worms either in purple or green pumpkin have always worked as a good pulse bait just about everywhere I have been. I've had a little luck with the 7" tequila sunrise power worm.

2.) Guido Bug: Black and Blue in any size.

3.) Any kind of chartreuse spinner bait with chartreuse blades have worked well for me. I have had better luck with the non-willow leaf blades and almost no luck with any other color of spinner bait.

I don't. I catch and release mostly.

I know this is a wuss thing but I've been trying to get myself to kill an animal (to eat it). My friend has a huge woods and deer run rampant through there and I love deer meat... just killing those innocent things is too much for me to even attempt hunting. I couldn't even fish last fall up north cause I couldn't cut the minnows in half. Don't get me wrong, I'll eat the heck out of about any animal and love every second of it, but I don't want to see the killing or be the one to do it... which is weird, I know. I'm trying to overcome my mental issue.

I know this is a wuss thing but I've been trying to get myself to kill an animal (to eat it). My friend has a huge woods and deer run rampant through there and I love deer meat... just killing those innocent things is too much for me to even attempt hunting. I couldn't even fish last fall up north cause I couldn't cut the minnows in half. Don't get me wrong, I'll eat the heck out of about any animal and love every second of it, but I don't want to see the killing or be the one to do it... which is weird, I know. I'm trying to overcome my mental issue.

Caveman fail

Caveman fail

I was discussing with a friend about the nutritious value of wild meat and it pretty much sold it for me. Here's my biggest fear... say this deer walks by and I pop the guy and he hits the ground. What if he's still alive? Do you shoot it again in the head it cut it's throat? What if the gun jams and you have to cut its throat. A hand to hand kill seems so personal. It could be heart-wrenching.

Sometimes, but mostly perch/crappie/catfish & not bass.  Pan-fried or occasionally in the deep fryer if there's a few of us eating.

Damn, I am getting hungry.  I know it's not the most healthy aspect of my life but I love to fire up the deep fryer (with propane and propane accessories...).  Throw together a good corn meal batter with salt, pepper (cayenne and black), buttermilk, and flour fried up in Peanut Oil.

Note:  If the fishy taste is too strong soak it some milk before placing it in the batter mix.

I was discussing with a friend about the nutritious value of wild meat and it pretty much sold it for me. Here's my biggest fear... say this deer walks by and I pop the guy and he hits the ground. What if he's still alive? Do you shoot it again in the head it cut it's throat? What if the gun jams and you have to cut its throat. A hand to hand kill seems so personal. It could be heart-wrenching.

Take a sidearm for "dispatching" an injured animal. Just remember that longer you sit there pondering what to do the longer that animal suffers. Better to just do the deed and deal with any emotions later. If you want to make it a religious experience you could cut out the heart and eat it while it's still beating so the deer's soul could pass through you.

Take a sidearm for "dispatching" an injured animal. Just remember that longer you sit there pondering what to do the longer that animal suffers. Better to just do the deed and deal with any emotions later. If you want to make it a religious experience you could cut out the heart and eat it while it's still beating so the deer's soul could pass through you.

I grinned.

Hahaha!

My understanding of Ohio hunting laws is that you can't carry more than one firearm at a time? Of course, you can't use a rifle other than a muzzle-loader here, either.

My advice is to quit being such a pansy and rip its throat out with your teeth.

Archived