Training Camp Thread

1. first team linebackers MLB Rey Maualuga, SLB James Harrison, WLB Vontaze Burfict, as expected

2. Taylor Mays first team safety today next to Reggie Nelson. Shawn Williams and George Iloka second team

Expand
    1. best outfit I've seen yet pic.twitter.com/gSG3IpTU0t

BQNGytrCUAAPsko.jpg

3:43 PM - 27 Jul 13 · DetailsFlag media
      Tweet text
      Reply to @JustBeWarned

Image will appear as a link
  3. FB John Conner just destroyed Margus Hunt on a power run play. DL Coach Hayes smiling told Hunt, "We're playing in pads now"

Expand
  4. Orson Charles lined up at FB and threw his guy down. coaches loved it

Expand
  5. Great coverage by Reggie Nelson and George Iloka in one on ones

Expand
  6. WR Dane Sanzenbacher has already shown great route running and really natural hands

Expand
  7. Marvin Jones follows up with a 40 yard diving catch , nice ball by Dalton. crowd applause

Expand
  8. WR Roy Roundtree made a nice contested catch on a deep ball just now

Expand
  9. Dalton threw an easy interception right into the belly of LB Bruce Taylor, but he dropped it

Expand
  10. Adam Jones showing frustration after letting up a five yard completion. he loves competition

Expand
  11. I'm following the beat writers around to see what they're looking at

Expand
  12. Dave Lapham in the foreground, Marvin Lewis in the background pic.twitter.com/esptQmQlsX

13. good to see Dre Kirkpatrick, Brandon Ghee, Adam jones all healthy and on te field

Expand
  14. WRs working on beating jams at the line of scrimmage. hard knocks crew has been with them the whole time

Expand
  15. not a lot to say right now because these are just drills. I want to see 7 on 7 or actual competition

Expand
  16. DBs working on backpedal, turning hips, catching ball. QBs making ten yard warmup throws with pressure in face from QB coach

Expand
  17. a lot to take in right now. they all broke out into positional groups

Expand

1. WR Andrew Hawkins catches a 30+ pass from Dalton. He absolutely burned rookie S Shawn Williams up the sideline.

2. Roy Roundtree just caught a deep ball with Chris Lewis-Harris draped all over him. First audible crowd "oooooh" of the day. #Bengals

Expand
  3. Dalton passing to Bernard looks so good.

Expand
  4. Must. See. Margus Hunt in person.

Expand
  5. Positional drills at the moment. #Bengals

Expand
  6. Already seems to be a bigger turnout than the first Saturday of camp 2012.

Expand
  7. For those that missed the #Bengals Training Camp Hype ad I did on Vine: https://vine.co/v/hAubQjjvmLj 

8. Interesting Dalton stat. in 2012, his passer rating was 87.4 overall. Against the AFC North, it was 82.9. Not too far off. #Bengals

I was wondering where you were. I've been forced to click back and forth between Reedy, Hoard, Kirkendall and these two new kids you put links to earlier.  Both of whom, by the way, are blowing away the paid competition in terms of info.

That Gio post gives me a true woody.  I'm also encouraged by seeing him taking so many snaps in all of the vids.  Seems like Marvin's old way of easing the rookies in has gone by the wayside of late.  Throwing talents like AJ and Dalton into the fire will help open your eyes...

Big crowd today. pic.twitter.com/rE9SyWb9A2

BQNItykCIAAkqUH.jpg

Newman steps in front of Whalen to pick off Dalton pass in 11-on-11. #Bengals

1. Dalton pretty deep ball to a leaping and then tumbling Roy Roundtree for catch...crowd applauds #Bengals

Expand
  2. Giovani Bernard......shifty #Bengals

Expand
    1. Tweet text
      Reply to @LanceMcAlister

1. Great catch in traffic by Sanu, followed by an equally impressive catch by Gresham -- I can almost see the chip on his shoulder from here.

2. Terence Newman intercepts a pass from Dalton. Crowd loves it and hates it of course.

1. Orson Charles with a nice job holding his block on one of the running plays. Eifert also looked good in run blocking #bengals

2. John Connor With a Terminator type block on Margus Hunt in short yardage #bengals

Gresham right down seem behind Harrison #bengals

Dalton shows good zip on seam pass to Gresham in tight coverage, then on out route to Sanu. #Bengals

Oh, wow. I have a hard time believing he got "fat"... he seems like a gym rat.

Yep. Given that pic of him sprinting on the machine next to Geno, who was training with, I'd have to believe that's good weight.  I just hope he's kept a premium on his quickness.

Margus Hunt adding a few inches. #Bengals pic.twitter.com/hYh4nVKT50

BQNMMocCAAEsWSu.jpg

1. #Bengals linebacker James Harrison gets an adjustment during first camp practice with shoulder pads pic.twitter.com/YktRQtPA85

BQNLxNQCUAAw4TZ.jpg

4:05 PM - 27 Jul 13 · DetailsFlag media
      Tweet text
      Reply to @JayMorrisonCMG

1. Pack, Hawk, Gio in punt return #bengals

Expand
  2. Domata Peko is quick to engage with kids on the sideline as he walks the field. #Bengals

BQNMjOjCEAAVCsS.jpg

I seem to be talking to myself this afternoon.  I hope that's because you are all at practice and diligently recording all observations to be fully reported here promptly upon your return...

Harrison puts Kevlar in his helmet.  That's some funny shit:

Saturday notes: Harrison on display in Sunday's Oklahoma Drill; Padded debate

Posted 3 hours ago

hobson60x60.jpgGeoff HobsonEditorBengals.comFollow Me Blog

In Cincinnati, there is a bevy of rites of summer. Sunday afternoon at the Reds, Fourth of July at Riverbend with the Pops, and Marvin Lewis's Oklahoma Drill when the Bengals wear pads for the first time at training camp.

harrison130521_630.jpg
James Harrison

Updated: 2:45 p.m.

In Cincinnati, there is a bevy of rites of summer. Sunday afternoon at the Reds, Fourth of July at Riverbend with the Pops, and Marvin Lewis's Oklahoma Drill when the Bengals wear pads for the first time at training camp.

Lewis has set the date for Sunday on the Paul Brown Stadium practice fields in a 3 p.m. workout and it's pretty basic and brutal and done only once all season. An offensive blocker lines up in an alley with a defender across from him and a ball carrier behind him. The whistle goes and we're live.

"It's tradition," defensive tackle Domata Peko said before Saturday's practice.

All eyes are going to be on the man who has gone through his career as the most feared player in the NFL, hard-hitting James Harrison, the new Bengals SAM linebacker.

On Saturday cornerback Terence Newman admitted he can't wait for the show.

"It will be fun to watch 92 over here," said the nodding Newman, whose locker is one over. "Take his leash off and let him go. It's going to be interesting to watch. I'm going watch the Oklahoma Drill and stay in his section and watch what goes on. That dude is strong. He's tough. He's got Kevlar in his helmet. That's how hard he hits."

Kevlar is a form of body armor that Newman has never seen during 11 NFL seasons in a helmet. That got him thinking about the preseason coming up. Last preseason safety Taylor Mays hurt some teammates in a couple of collisions.

"I've seen it on ribs on people, but never in the helmet," Newman said. "Actually, that's not a bad idea. I'll probably have to do it if Taylor stays at safety. Sometimes he comes in with a little bit of friendly fire every now and then."

PADDED DEBATE: Sunday's first day of pads unveils the new knee pads and thigh pads dictated by the NFL during the offseason. Like most of the players, Michael Johnson, the towering Bengals right end, hasn't worn them in the four years he's been out of college. He doesn't think it's going to matter much.

"It's just for show," Johnson said. "I'm going to wear the smallest ones I can. You want to be light out there. A few ounces aren't going to make a difference. You just have to get used to playing with it."

The 6-7 Johnson's knee pad doesn't look like it would cover a song. It's a Styrofoamish pad about two inches by three inches. His thigh pads are going to be built into the girdle he wears under his pants.

Bengals equipment manager Jeff Brickner says there are three kinds of knee pads and more than two dozen types of thigh pads. All have been tested and approved by the NFL and the players can choose which ones they want.

Newman, the 11-year man that has played the most NFL games on the Bengals roster, figures the last time he wore pads was in Bill Parcells's last season coaching the Cowboys in 2006.

"When I was returning more punts early in my career, I wore just the thigh pads. Well, actually, Parcells, he kind of mandated it," Newman said. "We had to wear thigh pads anyway. I wore them for quite a while, then kind of just shed them because I didn't really get hit in my thighs.

"It's not really what happens to DBs, so there was no sense in wearing them. Plus most guys want to be as light as possible. They think these are going to slow us down, but I don't think necessarily they do. You can get thinner thigh pads or smaller ones and it'll be all right."

Newman doesn't think it matters all that much when it comes to his position. Like Johnson, he's also going light, particularly with the thigh pads.

"It should be pretty simple, to be honest with you. The knee pads sometimes kind of annoy you a little bit. They move. That's probably going to be the worst part for me," Newman said. "I couldn't tell you the last time I wore knee pads. I had these little bitty donuts in college, but I guess you can't wear those. It shouldn't be that big of a deal though."

Center Kyle Cook never stopped wearing them when he got to the NFL out of Michigan State and he figures they've saved him some aches and pains.

"Like getting kneed in the thigh or something in a pile. I'm sure I've avoided bruises," Cook said. "They don't bother me. It won't be a big change for me. It will probably have an effect on the skill guys who have been just running in basically Spandex. I'm sure they'll get used to it."

1. Dane Sanzenbacher also catching punts too, Brandon Tate is back there just watching

2. Gio Bernard, Andrew Hawkins, Adam jones catching punts today. that's an elusive crew

Expand
  3. QB Josh Johnson makes a great throw in zone coverage. tight window 30 yards down the field to Roy Roundtree who sat in the hole

Expand
  4. Dre Kirkpatrick, George Iloka, Taylor mays all taller than I remembered. tallest DBs we have

Expand
  5. Maualuga and Harrison in as nickel LBs, Jermaine Gresham finds hole between them for 20 yard gain up the middle

Expand
  6. Nickel corners Adam Jones and Terence Newman outside, Leon Hall inside. same as last year

It's a three man battle between George Iloka, Taylor mays, Shawn Williams for starting S. the way they are rotating snaps, no clear favorite

Expand

I'm getting the very strong feeling that all three make the team.  With Nelson, that's a gimme 4 (Iloka can play FS as well).  It's looking like they'll have to keep 5 if Miles et al want to make it.

CB locks are: Leon, Dre, Newman, Pac, and then Ghee and Prater in order.  One of those guys will have to get cut to make room for another safety.  Unlike in typical years, we don't seem to have many covertible CB/S types.  Iloka and Tony Dye are the only two that come to mind.  Does that give them an edge?

Archived