Training Camp Thread

PBScamp.jpg

The first training camp practice open for fans is Friday. U.S. Presswire photo

Because everyone loves a good list — at least that’s what the Internets tell us — every Wednesday we’ll break out a top five list of whatever topic we come up with that day. Feel free to dispute and chime in your thoughts in the comment section. I’m sure they will be calculated, rational and eloquent, as all comment boards are.

With camp beginning tomorrow, let’s rank the top five players with the most to gain/lose over the next five weeks.

5. CB Brandon Ghee: He’s entering his fourth season, but has only played 13 games, ravaged by injuries each year. Last year the 2010 third-round pick showed flashes of being one of the top corners in camp before suffering a season-ending injury prior to the first preseason game. He needs to prove he’s not only practice talent and, most importantly, he can survive even the preseason without suffering a significant injury or this could be his end of the line in Cincinnati.

4. RT Andre Smith: Perceptions can change quickly. Smith can alter his by arriving at camp in top condition and not bringing doubts that he reverted to the Smith who repeatedly struggled with weight during the early portion of his career. Rich, fat and happy is a great way to go through life, but not training camp when all eyes will be focused on the waistline of No. 71.

3. RB Bernard Scott: He unfortunately ends up on this list due to last year’s ACL injury, but with the arrival of Giovani Bernard, the other Bernard will have limited time to prove his worth to this team. That is if he’s even able to return from the injury that ended his 2012 campaign Oct. 7 against Miami.

2. C Kyle Cook: Hard to believe one of the centerpieces of this franchise and most respected players in the locker room would be considered for a list like this, but the emergence of Trevor Robinson last year thrust Cook into a position battle. Don’t expect a rotation at center like what happened at the end of last season, one of the two will surface as the starter. A player of Cook’s caliber and cap number on the bench would create a dilemma for the coaching staff.

1. S Taylor Mays: The club enters Year 3 of hoping Mays’ instincts catch up with his elite physical skills at the safety position. With a heated competition between Mays, Shawn Williams, George Iloka and Jeromy Miles for the spot opposite Reggie Nelson, the difference between a great camp and subpar one could be the difference between starter and off the roster.

Agree or disagree? Let’s hear it.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2013/07/24/walkthrough-who-has-the-most-to-lose/

why wouldn't he?  He's shown up in shape each of the last two training camps and was in shape when he signed his contract in April. 

It's really a non-issue IMO.

If it was a non issue, he wouldn't have gotten the clauses in his contract. 

do we even know that there were clauses in his new contract?

I thought there were.   Anyway TC thread.    Don't want to steal the thunder talking about a fat Andre that may or may not happen.  I will wait and see.

I'm very curious to see what happens with Ghee this camp.

It will be huge if either him or Dre (or both) have solid camps and can reliablly handle snaps as the #3 or even #2 CB. Its a passing league and quality depth at DB is a must.

I think our top 4 CB's (whomever you project) could match up well with just about any WR corp right now.

PBScamp.jpg

The first training camp practice open for fans is Friday. U.S. Presswire photo

Because everyone loves a good list — at least that’s what the Internets tell us — every Wednesday we’ll break out a top five list of whatever topic we come up with that day. Feel free to dispute and chime in your thoughts in the comment section. I’m sure they will be calculated, rational and eloquent, as all comment boards are.

With camp beginning tomorrow, let’s rank the top five players with the most to gain/lose over the next five weeks.

5. CB Brandon Ghee: He’s entering his fourth season, but has only played 13 games, ravaged by injuries each year. Last year the 2010 third-round pick showed flashes of being one of the top corners in camp before suffering a season-ending injury prior to the first preseason game. He needs to prove he’s not only practice talent and, most importantly, he can survive even the preseason without suffering a significant injury or this could be his end of the line in Cincinnati.

4. RT Andre Smith: Perceptions can change quickly. Smith can alter his by arriving at camp in top condition and not bringing doubts that he reverted to the Smith who repeatedly struggled with weight during the early portion of his career. Rich, fat and happy is a great way to go through life, but not training camp when all eyes will be focused on the waistline of No. 71.

3. RB Bernard Scott: He unfortunately ends up on this list due to last year’s ACL injury, but with the arrival of Giovani Bernard, the other Bernard will have limited time to prove his worth to this team. That is if he’s even able to return from the injury that ended his 2012 campaign Oct. 7 against Miami.

2. C Kyle Cook: Hard to believe one of the centerpieces of this franchise and most respected players in the locker room would be considered for a list like this, but the emergence of Trevor Robinson last year thrust Cook into a position battle. Don’t expect a rotation at center like what happened at the end of last season, one of the two will surface as the starter. A player of Cook’s caliber and cap number on the bench would create a dilemma for the coaching staff.

1. S Taylor Mays: The club enters Year 3 of hoping Mays’ instincts catch up with his elite physical skills at the safety position. With a heated competition between Mays, Shawn Williams, George Iloka and Jeromy Miles for the spot opposite Reggie Nelson, the difference between a great camp and subpar one could be the difference between starter and off the roster.

Agree or disagree? Let’s hear it.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2013/07/24/walkthrough-who-has-the-most-to-lose/

5. I think Ghee is a lock to make the roster if his wrist injury isn't a long-term concern, and since I can't speak to that I'm fine with him beiong viewed as player on the bubble.

4. I stopped worrying about Andre's off-season conditioning years ago.

3. I have no idea why Bernard Scott is still on the team, and I look forward to the day when I can officially thank him for the fish and wave goodbye.

2. I think the so-called competition for the starting OC job is little more than a combination of media chatter and overblown coachspeak.

1. Saying Taylor Mays could easily start or be off the roster, depending on what type of camp he has, seems remarkably pointless. Worse, it's probably just as true for all of the other players mentioned save for rookie Shawn Williams.

5. I think Ghee is a lock to make the roster if his wrist injury isn't a long-term concern, and since I can't speak to that I'm fine with him beiong viewed as player on the bubble.

4. I stopped worrying about Andre's off-season conditioning years ago.

3. I have no idea why Bernard Scott is still on the team, and I look forward to the day when I can officially thank him for the fish and wave goodbye.

2. I think the so-called competition for the starting OC job is little more than a combination of media chatter and overblown coachspeak.

1. Saying Taylor Mays could easily start or be off the roster, depending on what type of camp he has, seems remarkably pointless. Worse, it's probably just as true for all of the other players mentioned save for rookie Shawn Williams.

I figure Mays has a reasonable chance to make the roster.  Even if both Iloka and Willams look better, he has played on teams and has veteran knowledge. 

Dontay Moch. The backup position and heir apparent to James Harrison at SAM is wide open. Would love to see Moch grab it. He has the speed and explosiveness we need at the LB position.

Moch is the Taylor Mays of LBs.

Archived