Training Camp Thread

• bernard130725--nfl_thumb_105_70.jpg
    Training Camp: Giovani Bernard Highlights
    (1:15) By Bengals.com - Posted 4 hours ago

The Bengals rookie second-round draft pick flashes his speed on the first of training camp.

• lewis-aj130725--nfl_thumb_105_70.jpg
    Marvin Lewis on A.J. Green injury
    (0:48) By Bengals.com - Posted 4 hours ago

Coach Lewis talks about the leg injury suffered by wide receiver A.J. Green on the first day of training camp.

• lewis-dre130725--nfl_thumb_105_70.jpg
    Marvin Lewis on Dre Kirkpatrick
    (1:09) By Bengals.com - Posted 4 hours ago

Coach Lewis talks about Dre Kirkpatrick's first day of training camp.

• tc130725-dl--nfl_thumb_105_70.jpg
    Training Camp: D-line drills
    (2:38) By Bengals.com - Posted 4 hours ago

The Bengals defensive line gets in some work on the first day of training camp.

Views: 6
  • smith130725--nfl_thumb_105_70.jpg
    Andre Smith: 'I'll be back Sunday'
    (2:44) By Bengals.com - Posted 4 hours ago

Bengals offensive tackle Andre Smith says he is in great shape and expects to be back on the practice field soon.

Views: 16
  • green130725--nfl_thumb_105_70.jpg
    A.J. Green: Playoff loss still haunts
    (11:29) By Bengals.com - Posted 9 hours ago

The Bengals discusses the new season as training camp gets underway.

Views: 725
  • dalton130725--nfl_thumb_105_70.jpg
    Andy Dalton: Year No. 3
    (15:25) By Bengals.com - Posted 9 hours ago

The Bengals quarterback talks about his role as a leader as he embarks on his third NFL season.

Views: 670
  • kirkpatrick130725--nfl_thumb_105_70.jpg
    Dre Kirkpatrick: Happy to be back
    (2:03) By Bengals.com - Posted 9 hours ago

After a rough rookie season, the second-year cornerback says he is "probably the only guy in the country excited about training camp."

Views: 1,051
  • johnsonm130725--nfl_thumb_105_70.jpg
    Michael Johnson: Focused on 2013
    (3:13) By Bengals.com - Posted 9 hours ago

The Bengals defensive end talks about his goals for the upcoming season.

Views: 631

Marvin Lewis will hold his first formal press conference of camp at noon where we should get more information about A.J. Green, who appeared to twist his knee during the final half hour of Thursday’s practice. Lewis usually holds a press conference on the second day so this wasn’t a last-minute addition to the schedule.

I’m not a doctor (nor do I play one on TV) but by the way the training staff was looking at the knee and the way Green was walking it could be hyperextended. The only game Green has missed was due to a hyperextended knee that occurred in Week 10 of the 2011 season against Pittsburgh.

I’m also sure Hard Knocks producers for a couple minutes were bracing for the second major knee injury in series history. In 2001, Ravens RB Jamal Lewis tore his ACL during practice. The cameras were at Brian Billick’s house when he got the news.

FIELD OF CONCERN?

The West practice field adjacent to the Clay Wade Bailey bridge is being used as the main field this year. For fans coming to training camp, the one thing that they will notice is that there is not a lot of room on the right sideline or behind the end zones. For receivers and corners going on deep routes, there could be some frequent running into the bushes or sliding into them while trying to stop.

When Green twisted his knee, Terrence Newman was trying to stop and ended running down into what is a small drainage ditch.

That field does receive extensive use during the regular season and was the first to go to a Bermuda surface which is now used on all three fields. Lewis and the players are used to practicing on that field, which is why Lewis isn’t concerned, but training camp sessions are run at a quicker pace. The field was not the cause of Green’s injury and could have happened anywhere but the tight sidelines will be something to watch.

IN CASE YOU MISSED IT

For the first time, Andy Dalton looked and sounded the part of a confident leader who truly believes this is his offense.

Cleared for practice, Dre Kirkpatrick is excited to be injury free.

A photo gallery from last night’s Pep Rally at Paul Brown Stadium. The Bengals said that just over 7,000 attended.

AROUND THE DIVISION

Browns: Trent Richardson opens camp with an endorsement from Jim Brown and a strong practice.

Ravens: CB Lardarius Webb inspired by Adrian Peterson’s return from ACL injury

Steelers: With Pittsburgh reporting today, 10 things to watch.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2013/07/26/the-walkthrough-hold-your-breath-friday/

#Bengals Terence Newman wary of expectations, but knows why they're so high: "As far as the talent on this team, it's unparalleled."

Capturing some footage of the @Bengals' defensive line. #HardKnocks #BehindTheScenes http://instagram.com/p/cPNyo5HDuc/ 

green-injury130725_630.jpg

Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis got his wish the hard way as he pulled wide receiver A.J. Green out of practice for at least the weekend with a knee bruise. Lewis doesn’t think it will be much longer after that before his two-time Pro Bowl wide receiver is back on the field.

Although Green said the injury felt like the hyperextended knee he suffered catching a touchdown pass against the Steelers two years ago, Lewis said in his Friday news conference the injury has been diagnosed as an external bruise and a mild internal bruise of the knee.

"We'll take our time with it and let him get it right. He'll be fine. Hopefully very quickly," Lewis said.

As Green discussed his injury while sitting in front of his locker after Friday morning's walkthrough, he was adamant that he won't change his go-after-any-ball-anywhere style that has made him one of the NFL's top receivers in his first two seasons.

And Lewis isn't too sure he wants to talk him out of it.

"I don't know. He made one catch this spring that was the most incredible catch I've ever seen," Lewis said. "He stretched out for the ball, put his left hand down, rolled, came up on his feet and he was parallel to the ground about a foot above the ground. He's kind of put together that way."

With the Bengals working on the tight quarters of the practice field adjacent to the Clay Wade Bailey Bridge, Lewis has no plans to switch. Green said he landed awkwardly on his knee chasing an Andy Dalton deep ball out-of-bounds because he twisted his body trying to stay in-bounds. He's not sure if he stepped on sand or a rock. Both are several yards from the sideline.

"I don't have any concerns; that's part of football," Lewis said. "We have to make sure we try and stay on our feet as best we can."

Cornerback Terence Newman, the unfortunate guy covering Green, didn't think it could have been avoided.

"I don't know if it was the sideline. I think his plant foot came down wrong," Newman said. "I don't know if really there's any place that could have prevented it. It sounded like he said he just planted wrong."

And, yes, Newman was just like everyone else in Bengaldom and almost had a medical event of his own when he saw what happened to Green.

"We were so close to the sideline. I saw that the ball was going to sail out of bounds so I tried to pull up and just go behind him," Newman said. "But he's the type of receiver that tries to make every single catch possible. So I just kept on running and I came back and saw him on the ground. I didn't know what happened to him. It was a scary moment, for sure.

"That's one of those guys that if he threw up on the sideline, I'm nervous. Now I'm seeing him grab his knee, so I'm really nervous. Sounds like he's going to be good, though, so that was a breath of fresh air."

LAW IS FIRM: Running backBenJarvus Green-Ellis, he of the law-firm nickname and judicial demeanor, is becoming more and more of a high-profile figure and leader in Bengaldom in his second season since coming down from New England.

He was one of the five players that spoke briefly at the Bengals Pep Rally.

"My job is to try to make sure everything is going well with the team and they want to help get the fans involved, I'm all for it," BJGE said. "I like it. Some things come natural like being the leader of (the backs) right now. I'm the most experienced guy and that's where it is right now."

Green-Ellis, heading into his sixth season after being in the middle of New England's Super Bowl run in 2011, wouldn't say he's more of leader but admits, "I feel wise."

"I was like a quarterback. I played four or five games my rookie year, had (26) carries my second year," BJGE said. "I sat back and learned a lot from veterans like Kevin Faulk and Fred Taylor. How to take care of my body and what to do on and off the field."

LAW FIRM ON LAW: Green-Ellis, a former teammate of tight end Aaron Hernandez in New England, challenged his fellow players to help lift the cloud now hovering over the league.

"We have to come out here and play ball. That’s the only thing we can do right now to help the situation," he said. "Not only that but just to help the league. The best thing for the league right now is for every guy on all 32 teams to go out and perform at a high level and put all of the negative we have going on behind us in our rearview mirror."

BJGE is like everyone else and finds it unfathomable. And he knows Hernandez.

"I think it was shocking to everyone. Anytime you know anybody, like if one of you guys were to do something, or be committed or acquitted or accused of something like that of course it’s going to be shocking," he said. "But right now we just have to send out our prayers to both families and let the good Lord take care of that situation.

"My heart goes out to both families and hopefully everything turns out the way everyone is OK with, but it’s a trying situation and it’s really sad the way it happened. It’s been a tough offseason for the league in general but we have to move past those things and try to get down to playing football."

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Green-out-this-weekend-Law-Firm-shocked-by-Hernandez-case/ffd60c4a-49df-4d98-b01c-dce8954a253b

Archived