Training Camp Thread

1. Dalton on QBs who he watches and follows mentions Rodgers and Brees

2. Dalton: "When I first got here the media didn't think we were going to win a game. The expectation is to get… http://tl.gd/mbkb3c 

Expand
  3. Dalton: "You have to make sure the other guys trust you. A quarterback has to take control."

Expand
  4. Dalton: "I think I've really taken control of this offense. I'm doing everything they ask me to do."

Expand
  5. Dalton on Houston loss: "You have to take advantage of every opportunity you get. We didn't hit on a big pla… http://tl.gd/mbk96t 

Expand
  6. Dalton: "We've got a lot going into this year. We added some new guys which are going to help us out a lot. … http://tl.gd/mbk8ut 

Expand
  7. Dalton: "I think as soon as A.J. and I were drafted we were linked together. We've done some good things and want to keep getting better."

Expand
  8. Green on Dalton: "You can see he is more confident in what he does. This is his team and his offense."

Expand
  9. Green on Houston loss: "I'm still a little angry. We played our worst game of the season and still had a chance to win."

Expand
  10. Green: "I kept working on the little things, getting in and out of my breaks. Being more of a student of the game."

Expand
  11. Green on being in the slot: "There are going to be a lot mismatching. They can't double you in the slot."

Expand
  12. Green on loss to Houston: "The one we missed, I should have dug a little bit more but I looked early."

Expand
  13. Green: "I don't want to regress this year. The biggest thing is being consistent."

Expand
  14. Green: "I'm not going to say that much but if you watch me I'm going to be a leader."

Expand
  15. A.J. Green: "I feel like we have more leaders, more family. We are going to fight for each other. Whole vibe is getting better."

The Bengals' first full day of work in the preseason spotlight began, fittingly enough, with Pro Bowl wide receiver A.J. Green and quarterback Andy Dalton alternating in the media room Thursday.

For Green, the reluctant superstar, it was his first tip into the room since Draft Day two years and a surprise as PR chiefs Jack Brennan and P.J. Combs looked for filler since Dalton stayed late on the practice field after the morning walk through.

But Green was relaxed and comfortable as he accepted congratulations on last week's engagement. It turns out he popped the question right after the last session of the A.J. Green football camp.

While Dalton got all the leadership questions, Green admitted that he, too, in his third season, feels more at ease in the spotlight and leading his teammates.

"I'm not a vocal leader, but if you watch me…," he said.

And while Dalton has taken the heat for seven months for his overthrow in the end zone as the clock ticked under three minutes in the 19-13 Wild Card loss in Houston, Green said Thursday he should have put his head down and "dug," a little harder.

"This is his team," Green said of Dalton. "You can tell he's more confident," and Dalton agreed.

"That's the way it should be," he said. "The quarterback has to be the leader. He's the one with the ball in his hands every play."

Other notables out of the locker room before they took the field at 3 p.m. for their first practice:

_The plan for right tackle Andre Smith, who didn't report to the voluntary camps and was fined for missing the mandatory camp, is for him to address the media after practice. He's not working and has gone on the non-football injury list with what is believed to be not a serious calf injury.

_His Alabama teammate, cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick, said Smith has given him a lot of support and "is like my big brother." Kirkpatrick, who missed virtually his entire training camp as a rookie last year before only playing in five games with a bone spur near his knee, is ready to go Thursday and as he surveyed the media crush at his locker he observed, "I'm probably the only guy in the country excited about training camp."

Kirkpatrick is not excited about all that missed time.

"My mom called me because the guy on the news back home said, 'The forgotten Dre Kirkpatrick.' That just adds a little more fuel to my fire…You motivated me."

_No one had a rougher offseason this side of the Rockies than running back Cedric Peerman. He missed all of the spring workouts because of a foot injury he suffered while chasing down a man who swiped his fiancée's cell phone off the table they were sitting at outside a New Orleans restaurant. Then about three weeks ago at Virginia Beach, he got his foot caught awkwardly in a wave and hurt his ankle. It sounds like he could be on the non-football injury list for a week or two.

Bu the way, the thief gave up the cell phone when he looked back and saw Peerman had closed to within 10 yards of him, but Peerman doesn't advise getting in a chase because, "You never know if they're carrying a gun or working with somebody."

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Quick-hits-Green-Dalton-take-the-lead/2a8dea41-bc47-43d2-9668-a50bc86e12e6?campaign=cin:fanshare:twitter

There's Herron and Burkhead gunning for that job too.  Can't play on teams from the trainer's table.

While true, I wouldn't put much into Herron, who was a practice squad guy before injuries put him on the roster, Brukhead remains to be seen.

There's Herron and Burkhead gunning for that job too.  Can't play on teams from the trainer's table.

Marvin has also said that players can't continue to earn a roster spot year after year just by playing special teams.

Rather, they have to keep developing as position players, and if they don't they're at risk of being replaced by younger projects.

Johnson on playing this year under the franchise tag

With Thursday being the first time back in the locker room, Bengals defensive end Michael Johnson said he was happy that Carlos Dunlap got a contract extension. The team tried to get something done with Johnson before the July 15 deadline for those who received the franchise tag but now will have to wait until the offseason. 
"I knew they wanted to get something done with me, him and Geno. It just didn’t work out with me," Johnson said. "It is what it is. It’s not going to be a distraction or anything. We’re still going to go out and ball, and when it’s time to take another look at that next year, then we’ll do it." 
Said Johnson of Dunlap's extension: "He’s done a lot of good things for us since he’s been here. He works hard. He deserves it."

http://sulia.com/channel/cincinnati-bengals/f/c2e1a4cd-9cf4-426f-9f1f-c6a9f6bce452/?source=twitter

1. First 11 on 11 snaps Cook at center Mays at safety Charles at fb

2. Bengals flipping fields for pre and regular season from last year

Expand
  3. Bleachers facing west as #Bengals open practice

<p>

Does Hobson mean that the bengals bench this year is gonna be where the away team bench has always been?? If so that kinda sucks...

Archived