Training Camp Thread

Yeah, no shit he does.

Much as I appreciate the various roles these 2 can play on defense, "nickel LB" would not have been on my list.

I had the same response.  Hopefully they get cured of the notion of those two guys in pass coverage together real quick.

Shawn Williams lining up next to Reggie w/ 1st team D in 11 on 11 #bengals

Expand

Gio Bernard and Vontaze Burfict in each other's face after a play not involving Burfict. Teammates quickly diffuse. #Bengals

Expand

Awesome, Gio's got some spine to boot.

Also nice to see that Vontaze picked up where he left off in the smack department.  As long as he doesn't take flags, that guy proved last year he could really get under people's skin - and take a dive...

I had the same response.  Hopefully they get cured of the notion of those two guys in pass coverage together real quick.

I mean, it's probably just some specific pressure package they're trying out or the like, but still sounds like "easy completion underneath" to me

1. Dre makes great diving breakup of pass down far sideline #bengals

2. 2nd team d-line is geathers, still, thompson, and gilberry...db's ghee, dre, shawn williams and illoka

Expand
  3. Shawn Williams lining up next to Reggie w/ 1st team D in 11 on 11 #bengals

Dalton completes 13 of 21 in 2nd 11-on-11 period including 4 grabs for Giovani Bernard. #Bengals

1. Eifert.....a TE with stickum on hands, over middle, in traffic? I think #Bengals fans might like this guy.

2. Good thing they're on the same team! RT @AndrewFoxMiller: ANOTHER swatted pass by Geno Atkins. Dalton is the victim again.

Second team linebackers Emmanuel Lamur, Vincent Rey, Jayson DiManche. DiManche is a surprise there

Expand

The surprise will be if Vinny Rey makes the team.  Knowing what Marvin has said about ST's from now on having also be able to push on the field, there may be too much pressure from the new guys...

Bernard on screens....I'm liking that page of Jay's playbook #Bengals

@joereedy: Dalton having a good day on passes over the middle. Nice zip and velocity #bengals

1. Biggest disappintment of the weekend, no Margus Hunt special teams action so far. Camp is still early though

2. Dre Kirkpatrick with his third straight day of a stellar play. Nice PBU on a ball intended for Whalen

1. @JoeGoodberry Hawkins catching punts and Miles was lines up inside. if they audibled to double team the gunner, Miles and Whalen moved out

2. third team defensive ends Margus Hunt and Dontay Moch

Expand
  3. Brandon Ghee and Dre Kirkpatrick first team covering punt gunners. both extremely good at keeping their guy in front of them

Expand
  4. Dre Kirkpatrick leaps and tips a deep pass. he's showing better instincts and awareness for the football

Expand
  5. Second team linebackers Emmanuel Lamur, Vincent Rey, Jayson DiManche. DiManche is a surprise there

Expand
  6. second team defensive line: Robert Geathers, Devon Still, Brandon Thompson, Wallace Gilberry

Expand
  7. Dalton overthrows a wide open Mohamed Sanu 50 yards downfield

Expand
  8. Tyler Eifert has been lined up out wide a lot today. same with Gresham. I haven't seen Orson Charles on the field as much as I hoped

Expand
  9. FB John Conner can lay the wood. he goes all out every play and throws his whole body into his blocks. several big hits today

Expand
  10. Gio Bernard takes a hard hit from Iloka, then Vontaze Burfict stepped in and started talking smack to Bernard. had to be separated

Expand
  11. I didn't realize just how short James Harrison was. maybe our shortest guy in the front seven, including backups

Expand
  12. QB Josh Johnson struggling today. inaccurate throws downfield and he just fumbled a snap

Expand
  13. Mohamed Sanu makes catch 25 yds downfield down the middle. should see that a lot this year

Expand
  14. it's really hard to keep track of the defensive and offensive linemen. maybe I'll focus on them tomorrow

Expand
  15. They rotated a ton of different guys at that second inside spot last year (domata peko, pat sims, Devon still, DE Robert Geathers, Gilberry)

Expand
  16. first team pass rushers Michael Johnson, Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap. DE Wallace Gilberry moved inside to be the other DT.

1. #Bengals winding down with stretches as camp draws to a close. pic.twitter.com/aLAvkZM74h

BQNVuD6CEAApjbh.jpg

1. HBO Hard Knocks crew. pic.twitter.com/i2X86lkqr8

BQNT_8cCcAAu2ay.jpg

4:41 PM - 27 Jul 13 · DetailsFlag media
      Tweet text
      Reply to @AndrewFoxMiller

Image will appear as a link
  1. RB Rex Burkhead has been a force this afternoon. He's playing with some grit today. Reveling in contact.

@Dan_Hoard: Dalton completes 7 of 8 passes in first 7-on-7 drill, concluding with deep ball to Roy Roundtree #Bengals

Tomorrow's Oklahoma drill is scheduled for 330, if you are coming to #Bengals camp practice

Dalton 5 for 6 in first 11-on-11 period with 3 completions to Mo Sanu. But also a pick 6 for Terence Newman

now final huddle. practice is over

This rookie hazing is getting out of hand. #Bengals pic.twitter.com/aR9UcB3c8L

BQNYmNICcAAhiAe.jpg

1. #bengals training camp was good, set up well for the fans, bengals staff all very friendly and no one got hurt...Who Dey

Full go // RT @Rick_LaRue: @Dan_Hoard Has Big Whit been full go or have they been easing him back in?

+ First team pass rushers were Michael Johnson and Carlos Dunlap at defensive end with Geno Atkins and Wallace Gilberry inside. First team linebackers were Rey Maualuga (MLB), James Harrison (SAM) and Vontaze Burfict (WILL).

One of the reasons I'd rather see Burfict move to MLB and Lamur to WILL is that there's a potential seemless transition to nickle - with Harrison playing the role of joker and rushing from god knows where.

with practice over these are obviously all a little dated:

1. Pollak working at LG with first team

2. Bernard helps with catch after Atkins tip screen

Expand
  3. More 3rd and long: Dalton 5-7

Expand
  4. Sanzenbacher also returning

Expand
  5. Today's punt returners: AJones Bernard Hawkins

Expand
  6. Roundtree having nice day. 3rd-long catch from Johnson

Expand
  7. Bernard nice pickup block on Gilberry

Expand
  8. Sanu 3 of the catches

Expand
  9. 3rd and long period Dalton 5-5 plus pick

Expand
  10. Newman picks Dalton on quick throw to Whalen

Expand
  11. Lewis has team in shoulder pads today before full pads Sunday

Expand
  12. Charles big hit followed by Conner pan cacking Hunt

Expand
  13. Some popping from FB spot in run game drills

Going only off of twitter feeds over the first three practice dates, it sounds like these have been the five most impressive guys.

Eifert

Kirkpatrick

Marvin Jones

Bernard

Sanu

I would have had Harrison on this list, but it sounds like he wasn't as productive today as he was the first two days. Gresham seems to have had a great practice today, but we didn't hear much from him the first two days.  I also wonder if the twitter folks are concentrating the most on the high draft choices, although Eifert has clearly drawn gushing praise from nearly everyone.

Anyone have a different take on this admittedly rough list?

I bet you're right about the draft choices being a focal point, as I know that's where my attention would be focused.

Things that jumped out to me were:

Roy Roundtree sounds like he's making plays.  Gotta love it when an FA comes in and turns heads.  He's been mentioned every single day.  That always bodes well...

As I posted in the thread, Eifert's constant mention is most glaring because of what we're not hearing - much about Gresham.  Surely this would explain the "chip on his shoulder" that we're hearing about today.  We can only benefit in that situation.

Sanu made some plays, but I'm particularly happy to hear about him being wide open 50 yards down field.  I think he's going to much more Anquan Boldin-like than people think, rather than just a TJ move the chains kind of guy (not that I'd be complaining about that either).

Geno batting 2 passes.  Nice to see that, even though he can't go full contact, Geno still knows how to disrupt.  I love it when the best players on your team are also the hardest workers.

Dalton's hit and misses: I'd love someone there to give perspective on his deep balls.  Overthrowing a guy 50 yards down field, while encourage vis-a-vis arm strength, wasn't an unfamiliar site last year.

Iloka. Sounds like had some good coverage going. That gets me excited.  As much as all of the talk around here has been of interchangeable safeties, the Bengals seem to have been choosing more classic FS and SS types the last couple of years.  Iloka losing a few pounds encourages me that he might be a good candidate to take over the other spot.  Also, after seeing that Mays lost 10 pounds, between the two of them and the rookie I'm optimistic that someone will work.  The only problem with Williams is that he's a rookie and the inevitable learning curve will hurt if it happens in prime time.

Hunt. The question on him has been whether or not he has a violent mentality.  Getting knocked on his ass in appropriately embarrassing manner will hopefully do something to wake him up.  I'm glad that Hayes said something about "we're wearing Pads now," as it suggests that Hunt had been lulled into a finesse game with all of this underwear football.  Let's hope that's all it is.

Kirkpatrick has been getting raves three days in a row now. I'm confident Ghee is going to be a player, which makes me pretty damn comfortable with at least five of our guys.  As others have said, it'd be nice to give Pacman more time on punts.  Which leads me to:

The three guys returning punts.  As was said on Twitter, Pacman, Gio, and Hawkins make for a helluva shifty trio.

And finally, though it's been mentioned a lot in the tweets, I couldn't be happier about both Eifert and Gio.  Whether it's Andy having confidence with them or Gruden calling their numbers to build that bond, it's clear that they are both being heavily featured.  After years of kvetching over leaving talent on the bench for the sake of leaving Vets in their spots, I'm glad to see that we are starting to adopt the same approach of cycling in the best guys that NE, Baltimore, and Pitt have been so good at recently.

In fact, Gio catching so many balls, in particular, is so foreign to this offense that I almost do know what to do with it.  

Pop a beer?

Archived