Week 13 Power Rankings

I can't disagree with what you're saying. But I would love it if we made a push to get a QB like Rivers

in the off season. I doubt that we'd do it but I think had we had him this year this team would be favorite to win it all.

Well, with the way he was talking this week after the game (and while indulging your pipe-dream scenario), you can bet that Rivers thinks the same thing.

I can't disagree with what you're saying. But I would love it if we made a push to get a QB like Rivers

in the off season. I doubt that we'd do it but I think had we had him this year this team would be favorite to win it all.

regardless of Dalton, why would you go after someone like Rivers? 

He's 32, a questionable leader, and has never accomplished anything.  They haven't made the playoffs since LaDanian Tomlinson left.  In fact, they have 1 winning season since LT left, and a 29-31 record overall.

He's 32, a questionable leader, and has never accomplished anything.  They haven't made the playoffs since LaDanian Tomlinson left.  In fact, they have 1 winning season since LT left, and a 29-31 record overall.

That's what I find so laughable about bringing in the old vet scenarios.

You are trading off the guy's age (and almost always lack of success) against the possibility of cementing a guy's growth into your team's DNA for the long-haul.  If Dalton were Bradon Weeden, I'd understand.  But even if he were Brian Hoyer (pre-injury; I thought he looked great in his few games), I'd be questioning. 

And roll the dice on a rookie QB?  When was the last time one of THOSE won the Super Bowl?

Dude, the guy is playing like a Pro bowler this year. He's a good quarterback.

You are trading off the guy's age (and almost always lack of success) against the possibility of cementing a guy's growth into your team's DNA for the long-haul.  If Dalton were Bradon Weeden, I'd understand.  But even if he were Brian Hoyer (pre-injury; I thought he looked great in his few games), I'd be questioning. 

And roll the dice on a rookie QB?  When was the last time one of THOSE won the Super Bowl?

especially a rookie that is essentially a second rounder - not like we have a #5 pick or something to invest there on a consensus huge talent.

Outta curiosity, after Dalton's contract is up....what would you like the team to do?

Dude, the guy is playing like a Pro bowler this year. He's a good quarterback.

Between the 20s.  Even before our game, he has had problems dealing with the pressure near the endzone.  Some of that is line, and the small and inexperienced WR set he has.  But it isn't like he would be immune to pressure if he magically was put behind our line.  Until this year he was a turnover maniac late in games because his situation was even worse, and he would flinch.  He's a lot better with the new coach's sounder offense but not quite the paragon the media talks him up to be.

The real sticker is the age and probably the salary. 

Outta curiosity, after Dalton's contract is up....what would you like the team to do?

Put him in the Bengals HOF, because he will be 38 years old.

Now if Dalton wins the Superbowl this year or at least takes us to the Superbowl or even the AFC Championship game I'd say sure let's do an extension. But anything less than that I would like the Bengals as a fan for us to look else where. That's my 2 cents.

Look elsewhere where and to who?

Between the 20s.  Even before our game, he has had problems dealing with the pressure near the endzone.  Some of that is line, and the small and inexperienced WR set he has.  But it isn't like he would be immune to pressure if he magically was put behind our line.  Until this year he was a turnover maniac late in games because his situation was even worse, and he would flinch.  He's a lot better with the new coach's sounder offense but not quite the paragon the media talks him up to be.

The real sticker is the age and probably the salary. 

Put him in the Bengals HOF, because he will be 38 years old.

Look elsewhere where and to who?

Draft for sure and possible FA

As far as FA I already mentioned I like Rivers. For the Draft I like Zach Mettenberger, QB, LSU. The guy can sling it and has good size and great arm strength but not sure he'll make it to us.

Rivers isn't a FA.  Who else is?  Cassel? Freeman?  Those guys are realistically far worse than Dalton is now.

Mocks have Mettenberger going to the Browns in early first, where we dont' have a pick.

So you realistically need to find a sure fire prospect that won't be snatched away be pick 20 or so.  Or you are just rolling the same dice we did with Dalton in the first place.

It is a lot easier to put this stuff in a post than to execute in real life when it costs real money.  The team, from all sources, likes Andy.  You sure its safe to pull him after a playoff run that doesnt go to the limit?

I was actually intrigued by Russel Wilson as a mid-round pickup (I didn't think he'd go in the third round). And it's no secret that the Bengals were kicking the tires on a lot of QB's in the draft last year.  So if there were a promising guy that looked like he could be developed, I'd be willing to spend a 3rd or 4th rounder on him, and give him time to learn behind Dalton.  Hopefully, in time, Dalton continues to grow.  If he doesn't, you've got someone who knows the system ready to step up. If he does, you might get lucky enough to have a guy with some serious trade value to further improve your team down the road. 

But I wouldn't think of starting over just as our window is opening.

(btw, Mettenberger looked like he shredded his knee so he'll be available later (3?).  I also think Aaron Murray will make a lot of sense in the mid-to-late rounds (same problem). 

I was actually intrigued by Russel Wilson as a mid-round pickup (I didn't think he'd go in the third round). And it's no secret that the Bengals were kicking the tires on a lot of QB's in the draft last year.  So if there were a promising guy that looked like he could be developed, I'd be willing to spend a 3rd or 4th rounder on him, and give him time to learn behind Dalton.  Hopefully, in time, Dalton continues to grow.  If he doesn't, you've got someone who knows the system ready to step up. If he does, you might get lucky enough to have a guy with some serious trade value to further improve your team down the road. 

(btw, Mettenberger looked like he shredded his knee so he'll be available late.  I also think Aaron Murray will make a lot of sense in the mid-to-late rounds (same problem). 

A late developmental guy is a whole different matter than an instant starter to lead us to glory.  That would be good insurance.

People would bitch about Murray for the same reason they want to get rid of Dalton. Advanced IQ and outstanding intangibles and experience but questionable arm, size and athleticism. Mettenberger is the exact opposite.

It's true, but it's the exact reason that I think Murray would work here.  In other words, he's a good QB for the system.

It also doesn't hurt that he has a history and chemistry with AJ.

My concern with Mettenberger would be the reverse. Sure, he has a cannon, but does he have the mobility and quick release that you'd like to have for a WCO QB?

It's true, but it's the exact reason that I think Murray would work here.  In other words, he's a good QB for the system.

It also doesn't hurt that he has a history and chemistry with AJ.

My concern with Mettenberger would be the reverse. Sure, he has a cannon, but does he have the mobility and quick release that you'd like to have for a WCO QB?

They are very similar, talk about heads exploding around here. As for Mettenberger, he's a bit sloppy and dispassionate for me, plus he has had a sexual misconduct charge filed against him.

(btw, Mettenberger looked like he shredded his knee so he'll be available later (3?).  I also think Aaron Murray will make a lot of sense in the mid-to-late rounds (same problem). 

I'd take Murray in a heart beat or Johnny football baby :)

Archived