Which Georgia player(s) are we most likely to draft?

I've seen a lot of Murray since he came to GA and I hope we don't draft him because we already have Dalton and they are basically the same guy. Not tall, neither one have big arms, not great athletes but they can run a little bit.

GA came up short in a lot of big games during Murray's time at GA despite have some of the best talent in CFB. Give me a mobile guy who can make some plays with legs when the pocket breaks down or when no one is open(Tajh Boyd) or a big armed guy who can sling it all over the field(Mettenberger)...the last thing we need is a Dalton clone.

This is probably the weakest class of GA prospects in a long time, next year when Gurley comes out it's a different story.... I would be all over him like butter on grits...

However, Garrison Smith would be an interesting late round/UDFA prospect.

What would make him a better fit than say...  Zach Mettenberger or David Fales ?

Note:  Mettenberger's hometown is Watkinsville, GA.

I believe Zach Mettenberger will be a Bengal. because hue jackson and cam cameron or very good friends and their scheme is very similar.

We might have to draft Mettenberger in the 2nd round as I think there will be an early run on QB's and while Mettenberger is not one of the top 5 prospects at his position he could still go in the second round of the draft. I think he would be a great fit, he was originally at GA before getting kicked off the team for lying to Richt about an incident. He played well for LSU last year and he has the kind of arm to make every NFL throw. 

Jimmy Garoppolo in the 3rd is the earliest I'd take a QB, and that's if there is a run on QBs and they can't wait until the 4th. This draft is very deep, it'll be hard to swallow a high pick on a player that's going to ride the bench permanently in 2014 (and beyond, if Dalton comes through).

I believe Zach Mettenberger will be a Bengal. because hue jackson and cam cameron or very good friends and their scheme is very similar.

Interesting connection.  IF Hue actually likes him and drafts him, I would not be displeased.  Hue might have a better readout on this kid than the common person.

I don't know that Mettenberger should even be considered before the 4th round.  He's not that impressive.

1181, I am not all that enamored with his 40 times or the fact he tore an ACL or that he drew comparisons to Jamarcus Russell.  However, he does have intangibles that might be worth a look in the 3rd or 4th.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=89700&draftyear=2014&genpos=qb

12/11/13 - 2013 ASSOCIATED PRESS ALL-SEC HONORABLE MENTION: Zach Mettenberger, QB, LSU, 6-5, 235, Sr,...Mettenberger leads the SEC and ranks third nationally in passing efficiency at 171.4, and he also led the conference in passing yards per completion at 16.1. He ranks third in the league in passing yards with 3,082, becoming the third quarterback in LSU history to cross the 3,000-yard plateau in a season, joining Rohan Davey and JaMarcus Russell. Mettenberger finished the season 192-of-296 passing for 3,082 yards with 22 touchdowns and eight interceptions. - LSU football

Interesting connection.  IF Hue actually likes him and drafts him, I would not be displeased.  Hue might have a better readout on this kid than the common person.

1181, I am not all that enamored with his 40 times or the fact he tore an ACL or that he drew comparisons to Jamarcus Russell.  However, he does have intangibles that might be worth a look in the 3rd or 4th.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=89700&draftyear=2014&genpos=qb

he just doesn't impress me when I watch him.  He's practically immobile, and that was before the ACL tear.  His arm isn't nearly what some would have you believe IMO, and he has a slow release.  He also makes a lot of questionable decisions.

he just doesn't impress me when I watch him.  He's practically immobile, and that was before the ACL tear.  His arm isn't nearly what some would have you believe IMO, and he has a slow release.  He also makes a lot of questionable decisions.

Who is he comparable to in the NFL today that is a starting QB ?

PM sent.

I am a different person than the one posted above...  Who am I ?

Negatives: Has marginal muscle definition and thin calves and thighs … Slow-footed moving around in the pocket and despite running for nine touchdowns, he is not threat carrying the ball

Both post #36 and this one are different QBs that have taken their teams to the Super Bowl and won.

Former Baltimore Ravens offensive coordinator Cam Cameron made some adjustments to LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger's mechanics last year, and the result helped the fifth-year senior become one of the college game's most promising NFL draft prospects at his position. Cameron, in his first year as LSU's offensive coordinator, oversaw not only marked improvement from Mettenberger, but in the Tigers' offense as a whole.

In Mettenberger, however, some very specific changes were made to help him reach his potential.

"I watched his lower body and he was, basically, a little too elongated. He'd overstride. We worked on getting his feet up underneath of him and make everything he was doing more compact. What happened is that he got better balance," Cameron said, according to shreveporttimes.com. "We had him flex his knees a little more. Everything started happening better for him. He was more accurate. The ball came out quicker. He could move in the pocket better with the subtle movements you need. Everything was just streamlined. And the numbers speak for themselves."

Indeed, they did.

Mettenberger completed 192 of 296 passes for 3,082 yards, 22 touchdowns and only eight interceptions. After tearing an ACL in his knee in the regular-season finale against Arkansas, he missed LSU's bowl win over Iowa and has been on animpressive rehab pace since undergoing surgery to repair the damage.

As a junior, before Cameron joined the LSU staff, Mettenberger threw just 12 touchdown passes with seven interceptions, and his completion percentage wasn't as good, either (59 percent vs. 65 percent). Cameron also believes Mettenberger has the necessary intangibles for the NFL, as well.

"Guys in the NFL will respond to his work ethic, toughness and personality," he said. "He's a low-maintenance guy. He's not a guy looking for publicity. He'll keep going as they all do. He was so much fun to coach. He has nothing but great things in front of him."

Mettenberger said he believes he would have improved regardless, but credited Cameron nonetheless for an improved approach.

"Having coach Cameron come in really was a blessing for me. His track record shows he's one of the great ones. He's coached up quarterbacks and made them into All-Pros. He really laid down the foundation for me to think and approach the game like an NFL quarterback," he said. "That's really the biggest thing he helped me with this past season."

Mettenberger (6-foot-5, 235 pounds) said he will be ready to throw for NFL scouts before the May 8-10 draft, most likely at the LSU pro day. He is among the prospects who have been invited to the NFL Scouting Combine this month and will attend, but might do little or no more than conduct interviews and submit to medical exams.

Mettenberger really blossomed when he had some NFL level coaching, I think he would be a good mid round draft pick. 

What are we trying to accomplish with a backup QB is the real question.  

I certainly would want some mobility at least in the pocket.   

Does Mettenberger have a lot of upside?  Watched a lot of LSU games this year and I dunno.

It would be an interesting pick.

What are we trying to accomplish with a backup QB is the real question.  

I certainly would want some mobility at least in the pocket.   

Does Mettenberger have a lot of upside?  Watched a lot of LSU games this year and I dunno.

It would be an interesting pick.

Listen, if Cam Cameron's scheme is similar to Jackson's I don't think mobility comes into it much. If the scheme fits and the QB gets the ball out quickly to the right places, that's ok for me. Say YES to Payton Manning and NO to Josh Johnson!

I wouldnt be at all surprised to see Jason Cambell com here bc of Hue.

me neither.  I conceivably see them bringing in someone like Campbell (who, like McFadden, was at his best under Hue), but also considering a QB in the draft.  Campbell would just give them flexibility.

Sorta like Newman and Kirkpatrick.  You cover your butt, but also keep your draft options open.  They tend to do that.  Re-signing Bernard Scott prior to getting Gio and Burkhead.  

Archived