Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason

Word compatible App?

A few months ago I bought a new Macbook Pro.  Did not realize when I bought it id did not have a CD-Rom drive.  Everything is now downloaded off the App store.  My wife has a resume that is Word based.  Does anyone know if there is an App that she can import and edit it? 

Open Office is free. There are a couple of other suites out there as well that I'll look up when I'm not on my phone...

Here's the other one I was trying to remember:

Neo Office

I prefer it to Open Office on OS X.

Scratch that, I just noticed they've started charging.  Screw that.  Open Office it is... 

Why not libre office?

Same thing.  Libre was just a fork of OO when The Evil Lord Ellison bought Sun and thus the rights to OO (technically it was still GPL but just the stench of Ellison near the project was enough to drive folks away).

TL/DR I use them interchangeably.. 

Compatibility between Word and OpenOffice/LibreOffice/etc. is still dicey at best.  Yes, either will open your document from the other program, but formatting will get all garked up in the most annoying and tedious ways.

Same thing.  Libre was just a fork of OO when The Evil Lord Ellison bought Sun and thus the rights to OO (technically it was still GPL but just the stench of Ellison near the project was enough to drive folks away).

TL/DR I use them interchangeably.. 

Why I switched to Libre....

Goggle docs

Good one. It doesn't tend to gark up the formatting as badly either...