Marcus Martin, son of former Bengal Mike Martin, dies unexpectedly at 25

From WCPO website:

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/marcus-martin-son-of-former-bengal-mike-martin-dies-unexpectedly-at-25

CINCINNATI -- The son of former Cincinnati Bengals great Mike Martin has died. Marcus Martin was 25.

Mike Martin told WCPO his son was in Washington, D.C. on Tuesday when he suffered from shortness of breath and chest pains at work. He was then taken to a hospital where he was admitted for observation.

At some point during the overnight hours Marcus Martin stopped breathing, his father said. Revival efforts were unsuccessful.

Mike Martin described his son as suffering a "massive heart attack.

Marcus Martin played football at Taft High School under his father before going on to study at Wabash College in Lafayette, Indiana and Columbia College in Chicago, according to his LinkedIn profile. He later returned to his former high school to serve as an assistant football coach for nearly four years.

While the coroner hasn't determined an official cause of death, heart disease affects the lives of many Americans, either directly or indirectly.

About 600,000 people die of heart disease in the United States every year – that’s 1 in every 4 deaths, according to the Center for Disease Control. It's the leading cause of death among both men and women.

The news of Marcus Martin's unexpected passing may seem eerily familiar to Bengals fans who recall the 2010 death of 16-year-old Elbert Jovante Woods, the son of former running back Ickey Woods.

Jovante was taken to Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center in August 2010 after suffering an asthma attack after practicing with the Princeton High School football team earlier that morning.

The Woods family told KyPost.com, Jovante went for about 30 minutes without oxygen. He was placed in the ICU at the hospital and died three days later.

Mike Martin, 53, played with the Bengals for seven seasons in the '80s, was a former teammate of Woods and was with him at the hospital when Jovante passed away.

When Woods heard the news of Marcus Martin's death, he told WCPO he immediately reached out to the family of his former teammate.

There's also been an outpouring of support on social media for Martin family.

Mike Martin is a regular contributor to various WCPO sports programs including Sports of All Sorts.

Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Just last month I attended the funeral for a 24-year-old who died unexpectedly. 

As the father of a 25-year-old and a 29-year-old, I cannot begin to imagine what the family is going through.

...prayers for the Martin family.

As the mother of Jovante Woods, I have experienced the pain of having to bury my child.  It is not by far an easy ordeal.  I would like for Mike, Michelle, and Morgan to know that I would glad to help in any way I can and will be there for them for a shoulder to cry on.  I can't say it will ever get better for there are times when I still feel like this is all a dream.  But I can say, the whole series of events to follow will make you stronger and appreciate the little things in life.  Please understand that life and death is not in our control yet belongs to the Lord and was determined long before we ever help our precious children.  I say that to let you know that there was nothing you could have done differently to change the outcome.  To those out there that still have a child tangible, please reach out to them as often as possible and no matter the issues, appreciate the fact that they are still on the face of the earth.  My prayers and deepest sympathy go out to the entire Martin family and all those near and dear.

Sincerely,

Chandra Baldwin Woods

Archived