Gruden wants to see if he can build a team around Colt McCoy

Montana Bengal

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/07/gruden-wants-to-see-if-he-can-build-a-team-around-colt-mccoy/

If Jay Gruden has a future in Washington — and he might not — he wants to see if he can build a team around his chosen quarterback. And that quarterback is Colt McCoy, not Robert Griffin III.

Gruden told the Washington Post he’d like to have a franchise quarterback in place for next season, and he’d like to see McCoy emerge over the last four games of this season as that franchise quarterback.

“You don’t want to have competition at that position all the time,” Gruden said. “You’d like to have a guy you can say, ‘Hey, this is our quarterback, fellas. Let’s build our team around him!’ And then you have the competition between No. 2 and 3. We’ll see what happens these last four games. Then as a staff we’ll have to talk about the future of the position — whether we’re going to build around Colt, whether we’re going to have a competition between Colt and Robert and Kirk.”

What’s fascinating about that quote is that Gruden doesn’t even seem open to the possibility that the future of the franchise might be built around Griffin. Gruden seems to think the only option involving Griffin is a three-way quarterback competition with McCoy and Kirk Cousins.

When Gruden got the job last year, he didn’t make it a three-way competition. He installed Griffin as the starter, Cousins as No. 2 and McCoy as No. 3. Now that Gruden has had an opportunity to work with all three quarterbacks, he thinks McCoy is the best of the bunch. And the only one he’d consider building a team around next year. If Gruden is the coach in Washington next year at all.

Sort of related:

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/12/08/eb-of-the-junkies-tells-london-fletcher-hes-a-phony-for-haslett-remarks-listen/

WASHINGTON (CBSDC) – London Fletcher went off Sunday on his former coach, calling Jim Haslett — for whom he played four seasons in Washington — a “clueless” defensive coordinator, and a backstabber.

“The Washington Redskins, and Jay Gruden in particular, better watch his back and get Jim Haslett out of the door,” Fletcher, now an NFL analyst, said on CBS Sports Network’s That Other Pregame Show.“Jay Gruden better get him out of the door because he’s probably backstabbing Jay Gruden like he did everybody else; like he did to Scott Linehan in St. Louis, and like he did to Mike Shanahan in Washington.”

Later in the day, Fletcher defended his comments on Twitter to Haslett’s son, Chase.

Gruden has some sort of disease where he wants to somehow make mediocre players be super champions..

i dont get it...

Like me when I played Madden, I would always get Ryan Leaf or someone crappy and try to make him MVP.

Like me when I played Madden, I would always get Ryan Leaf or someone crappy and try to make him MVP.

Speaking of Leaf....good news(?)...he is out of prison.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/ryan-leaf-released-montana-prison-served-more-than-two-years-breaking-into-home-120314

http://playboysfw.kinja.com/ryan-leafs-jailhouse-confessions-written-by-his-cell-1254883817

Kind of interesting read on Leaf. Total self admitted asshole.

Thanks for posting that. It's WAY more than "kinda" interesting. I think it's extremely interesting, and a good take on a human life gone awry. Especially love the "former inmate writes article and by the way, he's a Brit!" angle as the article is peppered with language that only an Englishman would use, and that in itself provides insane comedy and insightful value.

Some of the comments from the article are pretty striking and hilarious:

"I’m an import from England; we don’t swaddle ourselves in body armor prior to playing a game. American football, to me, is overly refereed rugby for the squeamish. Even real football, what you Colonials insist on calling soccer, "

"Most major media outlets, including the sweaty wretches manning sports desks across the country,"

"When Leaf was asked to expound on his failings in therapeutic community (oh, it hurts to report such touchy-feely feculence)"

Beautiful.

Archived