Something in my eye

BengalBacker

nice..

by my old office, there are a few "homeless" guys, have the veteran, god bless, family pics, etc.. signs... i never gave them anything, tons of people did, they were clearing $5-10 per red light (it was the off ramp of the highway near the mall).. people gave food, shoes, drinks, etc..i noticed ANY inclimate weather, they werent there.. little rain, etc..

then one day, one came into my store.. smelled like absolute shit...however.. he was paying his cell phone bill, which was $400, in cash, obviously lots of $5's and singles and so on from begging, had 6 lines on it, A1 credit, and when he left, i went to lunch shortly after.. heard him on the phone, saying he made $150 that morning, which was the lowest he made so far that week, and was going to so and so other corner to see if he did any better.. so essentially this guy was making almost as much as me, begging for 3-4 hours in the morning, in cash...

a year or so later.. there was an accident off that intersection, so traffic was backed up, i sat for about 20 minutes at the light like 10 cars back.. watched his buddy walk away from the intersection, in his dirty jeans, filthy boots, ragidy flannel, walk across the ramp to a parking lot at the office complex, to a new toyota camry, took off the jeans, boots and flannel, was waering nike jogging pants under, tossed on brand new sneakers (seemingly) and had a nike t shirt on, and tossed the shitty stuff in the trunk and drove away..

and lastly, when i worked in kenwood near the mall, some middle aged lady parked in our parking lot in a brand new honda element, we tried to have it towed, etc... couldnt find out where she worked.. turns out it was the "homeless with 2 kids to feed" lady that always begged off the I71 ramp at kenwood road... she was a huge bitch too, asked her not to park in our lot (had like 8 spaces and busy as hell) and she cussed at us and drove off..

awesome to see real people in need getting some help and helping others, but i will pretty much never give anyone cash... unless i know them..

60 minutes did a story on a begger in NYC, lived in jersey in a huge house, wife and kids, his full time job was begging, made like $60k/yr begging 4 days a week...

sidenote: its terribly hard to find a place to volunteer with my kids, food banks, donation centers, etc, all require you to be 18, for obvious injury reasons.. but i would like to get my kids involved in helping other people and understanding how nice it is to have the things they have..and how important it is to help other people.

sidenote: its terribly hard to find a place to volunteer with my kids, food banks, donation centers, etc, all require you to be 18, for obvious injury reasons.. but i would like to get my kids involved in helping other people and understanding how nice it is to have the things they have..and how important it is to help other people.

week...

Scouts or other youth groups tend to do a lot of that kind of thing, might try something like that? Maybe encourage them to go through their toys & clothes for stuff they no longer use or help you clean out the pantry to drop off a donation.

No kids of my own but was around some incredibly shitty spoiled ones kind of recently, like borderline Honey BooBoo trainwreck shit, so I'm just throwing out some ideas.

nice..

by my old office, there are a few "homeless" guys, have the veteran, god bless, family pics, etc.. signs... i never gave them anything, tons of people did, they were clearing $5-10 per red light (it was the off ramp of the highway near the mall).. people gave food, shoes, drinks, etc..i noticed ANY inclimate weather, they werent there.. little rain, etc..

then one day, one came into my store.. smelled like absolute shit...however.. he was paying his cell phone bill, which was $400, in cash, obviously lots of $5's and singles and so on from begging, had 6 lines on it, A1 credit, and when he left, i went to lunch shortly after.. heard him on the phone, saying he made $150 that morning, which was the lowest he made so far that week, and was going to so and so other corner to see if he did any better.. so essentially this guy was making almost as much as me, begging for 3-4 hours in the morning, in cash...

a year or so later.. there was an accident off that intersection, so traffic was backed up, i sat for about 20 minutes at the light like 10 cars back.. watched his buddy walk away from the intersection, in his dirty jeans, filthy boots, ragidy flannel, walk across the ramp to a parking lot at the office complex, to a new toyota camry, took off the jeans, boots and flannel, was waering nike jogging pants under, tossed on brand new sneakers (seemingly) and had a nike t shirt on, and tossed the shitty stuff in the trunk and drove away..

and lastly, when i worked in kenwood near the mall, some middle aged lady parked in our parking lot in a brand new honda element, we tried to have it towed, etc... couldnt find out where she worked.. turns out it was the "homeless with 2 kids to feed" lady that always begged off the I71 ramp at kenwood road... she was a huge bitch too, asked her not to park in our lot (had like 8 spaces and busy as hell) and she cussed at us and drove off..

awesome to see real people in need getting some help and helping others, but i will pretty much never give anyone cash... unless i know them..

60 minutes did a story on a begger in NYC, lived in jersey in a huge house, wife and kids, his full time job was begging, made like $60k/yr begging 4 days a week...

Not sure how it works now but when I was a kid my parents had us help with the Special Olympics, might look into that.

Scouts or other youth groups tend to do a lot of that kind of thing, might try something like that? Maybe encourage them to go through their toys & clothes for stuff they no longer use or help you clean out the pantry to drop off a donation.

No kids of my own but was around some incredibly shitty spoiled ones kind of recently, like borderline Honey BooBoo trainwreck shit, so I'm just throwing out some ideas.

We do the toys thing twice a year. They pick toys they don't play with much and would like other kids to have that can't afford toys, etc. and I had them both shop for new toys that we donated to toys for tots and Salvation Army toy donation event by my work.
The next one I'm going to have them earn the money we use and have them spend it from their pocket to make it stick a little more. I was getting "if they can't afford much they would REALLY like an Xbox" at some points. So I think doing chores for money and spending it out of pocket may be a better lesson overall.

. I was getting "if they can't afford much they would REALLY like an Xbox" at some points. So I think doing chores for money and spending it out of pocket may be a better lesson overall.

:lol:   Maybe so.

Parents sometimes bring their younger kids to the food pantry I volunteer with & we usually have them check dates on donations or follow a list of stuff loading the extra bags we give out on holidays or for the start of the school year. 

:lol:   Maybe so.

Parents sometimes bring their younger kids to the food pantry I volunteer with & we usually have them check dates on donations or follow a list of stuff loading the extra bags we give out on holidays or for the start of the school year. 

that would be a decent option, how old are the kids usually? mine at 7 and 9... 

that would be a decent option, how old are the kids usually? mine at 7 and 9... 

Right around there, probably closer to 9 than 7.  Honestly with a clear goal like that or a list to follow etc & a parent keeping them on task they'll sometimes outwork some of the adults.  Shit, just ask Nike or Reebok.  :ninja:

nice..

My father works in downtown Dayton, and travels around the city quite a bit. There are several "beggers" that he has seen over the years walk from their corner to their newer pickup truck they parked a few blocks away.

Archived