Might be time to eat some crow for Adam Dunn...

Guest bengalrick

Guest bengalrick
bengalrick

i have to admit, dunn is flat out on fire... sign here if you also bashed dunn consistantly, and ready to admit, that he might be "the man"...

Guest BlackJesus
[color="red"][b]Might be time to stop paying attention to the Reds altogether !!![/b][/color]

[b][color="orange"]Go Bengals [/color][/b]

[quote name='VonBlade' date='Aug 4 2005, 09:24 PM']If people thought he was crap and are here to eat crow, can those of us who thought he was great, gloat?

*gloats*.
VB
[right][post="124879"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

That's why I'm here!

*gloats*

Guest bengalrick
i never said he sucked... but if he hits the way he has been, i can deal w/ mediocrity on other sides of the ball..

btw diesel... i still wouldn't move him to first... just my opinion, but just b/c he's hitting, doesn't make up for being a bad fielder... and as a first baseman, you have to be able to be at least a good, preferably great fielder...

I never said he sucked as a hitter, other than to point out that he doesn't hit for average and is either striking out or hitting homeruns. Until recently, his RBI totals sucked as well because he was hitting meaningless homeruns when nobody was on base. The law of percentages would dictate that he would start knocking them outta here when someone was on base. He does however, have marginal skills on defense--a weak throwing arm for someone his size, coupled with a bad glove and poor closing speed on outfield shots...

I maintain that while I like him and there is no denying his power, he was a hot commodity for a contending team and had the most trade value for players that were being considered for a trade. Well, the deadline is over now, and we'll just have to see what happens with him in the offseason....

Guest bengalrick
[url="http://http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=4808&context=fielding"]dunn's fielding stats[/url]

1st base: .988 for his career

it is better than he is in the outfield, but its still not very good considering how many putouts you get credited for...

it also mentions a "zone rating" which is "The percentage of balls fielded by a player in his typical defensive "zone," as measured by STATS, Inc." and that is at a .785... he is much higher in the outfield... this would definately be considered a hidden stat, b/c errors don't show you how much range someone has...

compare those stats to [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/fielding?statsId=5930"]casey[/url]:

casey in [color="red"]red[/color], dunn in [b]black[/b]

1st base %: [color="red"].995[/color] [b].988[/b]
zone range: [color="red"].874[/color] [b].785[/b]

casey is 7th in [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fielding?groupId=9&season=2005&seasonType=2&split=79&sortColumn=zoneRating"]zone rating[/url] this year... i'll give dunn some credit though... in limited playing time this year, he is at .857... , which would be 13th in the league in the ZR... but his fielding % would leave him at 21st, where casey is number one...

first base is too important for dunn to be out there... he is a liability in the field as it, but i guess he has gotten better... his first year, he was pathetic...

casey might be slow on the base paths, but he has a hell of a bat, and is a great fielder...

I just want a power hitting first baseman because casey might have 5 homeruns this year and out of starting first baseman i would bet my bottom dollar that is last in the league...we need more run production out of our first baseman. We are in a small park where people hit it out all the time...casey is just a singles hitter and a singles hitter just aint cutting it :thumbsdown:

:headbang: :headbang:

[quote name='Palmerforpresident9' date='Aug 7 2005, 12:40 AM']I just want a power hitting first baseman because casey might have 5 homeruns this year and out of starting first baseman i would bet my bottom dollar that is last in the league...we need more run production out of our first baseman.  We are in a small park where people hit it out all the time...casey is just a singles hitter and a singles hitter just aint cutting it :thumbsdown:
:headbang:   :headbang:
[right][post="126180"][/post][/right][/quote]

We have enough power in the lineup already with Junior, Dunn, Lopez and Kearns/Pena. Pete Rose was a singles hitter with about the same speed, and most years a similar batting average, and he played 1st, 3rd, and the OF, ALL power positions and NEVER hit more than 16 HR in a year. And Casey is a better defensive 1B than Rose was.

Just last year, Casey hit 24 or 25 HR.

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='Palmerforpresident9' date='Aug 6 2005, 11:40 PM']I just want a power hitting first baseman because casey might have 5 homeruns this year and out of starting first baseman i would bet my bottom dollar that is last in the league...we need more run production out of our first baseman.  We are in a small park where people hit it out all the time...casey is just a singles hitter and a singles hitter just aint cutting it :thumbsdown:
:headbang:   :headbang:
[right][post="126180"][/post][/right][/quote]

hell, we have a power hitting SS!!! that would make up for our lack of power at the corners... we also have a power hitting CF...

power is DEFINATELY not this teams problem :D

and casey is a slap hitter, who is known for doubles... not only getting singles...

i dont quite understand this zone rating stat. so that means that if i can only move 1 foot to either side but i field all the balls within thhose two feet then ima great fielder? help me out here rick. also if you are going to keep casey here, just dont bat him anywhere above the 6 spot please, if hes not a power hitter he shouldnt be hitting in a power hitters spot in the lineup. and hes not worth 8 mil next year.

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='dieselman44' date='Aug 9 2005, 12:59 PM']i dont quite understand this zone rating stat. so that means that if i can only move 1 foot to either side but i field all the balls within thhose two feet then ima great fielder?  help me out here rick.    also if you are going to keep casey here, just dont bat him anywhere above the 6 spot please, if hes not a power hitter he shouldnt be hitting in a power hitters spot in the lineup. and hes not worth 8 mil next year.
[right][post="127419"][/post][/right][/quote]

he's not worth 8 million, but he's worth alot of money... i'll give you that... i'd also like to see him around the 6 spot... we're not disagreeing much actually :)

about the ZR thing, when i posted that stuff, it was the first i heard of it... it says this about it: [i]ZR: Zone rating. The percentage of balls fielded by a player in his typical defensive "zone," as measured by STATS, Inc[/i].

heres a more indepth [url="http://www.baseball-almanac.com/stats3.shtml"]definition[/url]: [i]Zone Rating [ZR] - STATS, Inc. developed their own defensive rating system to also track locations of EVERY hit ball for EVERY game played - similar to the above Defensive Average statistic. The Zone Rating system is different because the area of responsibility, or zone, for each fielder is considered a "playable" area and does not account for balls hit into "Bermuda Triangles", "No Mans Land" or other impossible to field balls. A fielder that turns a double play is credited with 2 outs in the ZR system as their play on the ball actually resulted in both outs versus Defensive Average which only credits the 1 out. STATS, Inc. books area available at every bookstore and their work is updated on a yearly basis for player comparisons.[/i]

it sounds like there is an imaginary "zone" that they determine should be fielded... they don't count balls in the hole or other balls that can't realistically be played... we have to take the stats for what they are, considering there is no way to check them out ourselves...

Archived