jaylon smith injury

with jaylon smith's unfortunate looking leg injury in the early part of the fiesta bowl, a player that we all thought was out of reach might have just come available. he would be a tremendous fit giving us a LB that can actually compete against TEs on passing plays...a constant major thorn in our side. i can't think of a player that'd be a better fit in this draft...well, aside from boza.

I feel awful for Jaylon.  The kid is a freak.  Quite a few athletic linebackers in this draft.  Hoping we can get our hands on one.  Myles Jack rehabbing from a knee injury as well.  Only problem I have with these two are that they are pretty slight.  They look like big safeties and they are certainly going to have to put on some weight.

I feel awful for Jaylon.  The kid is a freak.  Quite a few athletic linebackers in this draft.  Hoping we can get our hands on one.  Myles Jack rehabbing from a knee injury as well.  Only problem I have with these two are that they are pretty slight.  They look like big safeties and they are certainly going to have to put on some weight.

i'm fine with smith's size. those prototypes of yesteryear can't keep up with the TEs in coverage. unfortunately we've seen that play out all to often. i'm ready for a hybrid sized guy.

• 1 month later...

Roto report that I just saw.  If this guy falls to us, I will probably do some of the same crazy things I did when Taz intercepted that ball.  Taz and Smith together for 10 years would be incredible.

NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks compares Notre Dame LB Jaylon Smith to retired seven-time Pro Bowler Patrick Willis.

Willis was drafted by the San Francisco 49ers drafted No. 11 overall in 2007. "Jaylon Smith is an all-time athlete, a guy you absolutely love. He's a thumper in the middle, he can run from sideline to sideline. He's very violent in his play, a guy that I believe is a three-down linebacker, very versatile. He kind of reminds me of a young Patrick Willis in terms of his ability to play in the middle of a 3-4 defense," Brooks said. "(He'll) make plays, communicate all the calls, and do all the things you look for from that position. A natural leader. He's a guy that I think is going to be a star. If not for the injury, I think we're talking about a top-five talent." Smith tore his ACL and LCL in the Fiesta Bowl. His 2016 season is currently in question, though his rehab is reportedly ahead of schedule. An AFC college scouting director said last month that he believes Smith's "draft floor" is the No. 18 selection.

i'm fine with smith's size. those prototypes of yesteryear can't keep up with the TEs in coverage. unfortunately we've seen that play out all to often. i'm ready for a hybrid sized guy.

well you might wanna consider Su'a Cravens or Deion Jones then because I think, even with the injury, Smith will be long gone.

Came here to post the exact same thing. I'm sure there would be a lot of fans ticked that they used another first rounder on a guy who might not be able to participate until mid season but it'd be an almost ideal fit.

Sweet that we're in the position to sit our 1st rounders. Most teams need a play now pick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived