2 hours ago, BengalBaron said:

Stick around.  You will cherish what Marvin did.  I remember well those playoff games. I went to almost every one.....  including the away games.  His run as a head coach is better than any other coach in my memory and I'm not young. Lol.  I honor what he did for us.

And, yes, I know the Bengals don't have a hall of fame....   he is gone or will be shortly, give him the credit he deserves.

Oh there is no doubt that Bengal fans owe some level of gratitude to marvin for what he did. I see two different Marvins. The 03-05 Marvin seemed like a fiery coach who seemed to be able to prepare his team well for their biggest games. When those games came, the team often played as if it had no fear. Something changed after that year and outside of the Week 16 game at Pittsburgh in 2012, I can't recall seeing a Marvin-coached Bengals team show up with their backs against the wall.

The question becomes, for how bad a shape as this organization was in 2002, could any moderately successful coach who had been apart of successful franchises in the past been able to right the ship to the degree that Marvin did? I would say that certainly not all could have, but I think there are a lot of coaches that could have at least replicated Marvin's success. This was not an NFL franchise before 2003. The fact that Marvin was able to bring some credibility to the organization is admirable, but certainly not heroic. I think there is a good chunk of coaches from outside the organization who could have brought a strand of professionalism to the organization. it was literally impossible for things to be run worse. 

We have to face facts here: this team did not go to multiple AFC Championships or win a Super Bowl. While Marvin did bring this team from the abyss, under his watch they have never achieved a first round bye or even won a playoff game. For as good a job as he did to turn things around, there are statistics on his teams that are ungodly. Over a four year playoff stretch, Marvin's teams scored 6 second half points total. How can that happen in the NFL?

I will always admire the fact that Marvin was able to right the ship for this organization, but has not achieved enough to be honored. 

Archived