Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
westside bengal

A tale of two teams.....

Recommended Posts

After going 0-7 in the playoffs and coaching the team to a below .500 record the last 2 years the Brown Family Trust gave their head coach Marvin Lewis a 2 year extension only firing the OL line coach Alexander.  The DC Guenther whose contract has expired and can no longer be held hostage might seek greener pastures elsewhere. Looks like coaching status quo with little faith of things improving especially with several veteran players having expiring contracts the next couple of years.

 

On the other hand, the Green Bay Packers also finished below .500 in 2017 missing the playoffs for the first time since 2008.  The Packers started cleaning house and kicked Ted Thompson out of his GM role, fired both Offensive and Defensive Coordinators and several other coaching assistants.  The Packers HC Mike McCarthy whose contract expires after 2018 was told the new GM can bring in his own guy if he wants after next season.

 

One team sits on their ass and does nothing.  The other changing things up to make something happen.

 

Let's see in a couple of years who has chosen wisely. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The packers have mostly wasted a future HOF QBs career.  Not exactly a textbook of how to run a club.  Put Aaron Rodgers in Dalton's place and Bengals would have multiple rings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know.  Have the Packers missed some opportunities...sure.  But going to the playoffs 8 years straight. winning some playoff games and a Super Bowl might not be considered a "waste".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Packers are firing people not because Rodgers got hurt and therefore lost the season, it's because their defense sucks ass and has for a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

The packers have mostly wasted a future HOF QBs career.  Not exactly a textbook of how to run a club.  Put Aaron Rodgers in Dalton's place and Bengals would have multiple rings.

 

Lol sure we would. Our coaching, run game, receivers, OL, and defense would all magically decide to show up in the playoffs if we had Rodgers instead of Andy.

 

Don't get me wrong, Aaron Rodgers is a HOF QB and Andy is a guy who is a bit above average statistically among current QBs, I'm not saying they're even close in terms of ability, but that statement is just ridiculous that we'd have multiple rings with Rodgers. The hyper-focus on Andy by some folks around here is laughable.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

The packers have mostly wasted a future HOF QBs career.  Not exactly a textbook of how to run a club.  Put Aaron Rodgers in Dalton's place and Bengals would have multiple rings.

By making it to 3 NFC Championship games winning 1 and winning a Superbowl?   By making it to the playoffs 8 years in a row and 8 of 9 years Rodgers was the starter?   Rodgers is 9-7 in the playoffs and has a ring, how in the hell has he been wasted?  BTW, he is only 34.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, SF2 said:

By making it to 3 NFC Championship games winning 1 and winning a Superbowl?   By making it to the playoffs 8 years in a row and 8 of 9 years Rodgers was the starter?   Rodgers is 9-7 in the playoffs and has a ring, how in the hell has he been wasted?  BTW, he is only 34.

 

Yeah I wish all the talent on our roster had been "wasted" like that

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

 

Yeah I wish all the talent on our roster had been "wasted" like that

If you want to talk about wasting talent the name Carson Palmer should be the first name that comes to one's head.   It took him 10 years to finally hook up with a competent coaching staff and organization.  Too bad he couldn't stay healthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SF2 said:

If you want to talk about wasting talent the name Carson Palmer should be the first name that comes to one's head.   It took him 10 years to finally hook up with a competent coaching staff and organization.  Too bad he couldn't stay healthy.

 

Eh.. I'm of the opinion that he did that to himself as much as he can blame anyone else.  He made it to an AFC championship game and threw 4 INTs and IIRC lost 2 fumbles..  And that's aside from whatever off-field fuckery drove him from Cincinnati (and I refuse to believe it was some trash on his lawn.)  

 

That adds up to :1violin:from me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

 

Lol sure we would. Our coaching, run game, receivers, OL, and defense would all magically decide to show up in the playoffs if we had Rodgers instead of Andy.

 

Don't get me wrong, Aaron Rodgers is a HOF QB and Andy is a guy who is a bit above average statistically among current QBs, I'm not saying they're even close in terms of ability, but that statement is just ridiculous that we'd have multiple rings with Rodgers. The hyper-focus on Andy by some folks around here is laughable.

The packers roster during Rodgers career has been mostly pretty blah.  Rodgers takes a below avg roster and makes it a contender every year.  Packers OLs have sucked most of Rodgers career but his mobility and threat to throw or run has bought him time and kept their O alive.  I'm guessing you've never watched the Packers regularly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

 

Yeah I wish all the talent on our roster had been "wasted" like that

It basically has which is why neither Marvin nor McCarthy should have HC jobs.  Position by position the Bengals have typically been better at most besides QB which is/was a significant advantage to GB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

It basically has which is why neither Marvin nor McCarthy should have HC jobs.  Position by position the Bengals have typically been better at most besides QB which is/was a significant advantage to GB.

 

You mean aside from winning a SB and multiple playoff games?  Because that's kind of a big difference..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

The packers roster during Rodgers career has been mostly pretty blah.  Rodgers takes a below avg roster and makes it a contender every year.  Packers OLs have sucked most of Rodgers career but his mobility and threat to throw or run has bought him time and kept their O alive.  I'm guessing you've never watched the Packers regularly?

I've watched them plenty. Rodgers is one of the best QBs of all time. I have no issue saying that much. 

 

However, he doesn't do it all on his own as you suggest. You're severely underrating some of their players and overrating ours. Would Rodgers be Rodgers with our scheme and coaching? What about contracts? Whatever dude, there's no point in going back and forth because you obviously have a problem with Andy and I'm not in the mood to try and talk a fellow Bengals fan into giving our God damn QB some credit for being a good quarterback. 30 other NFL teams wish they had Rodgers too but he doesn't win games by himself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why look at just one team (Packers) to see if firing a coach works out?  Why not look at every team in the league?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2018 at 7:56 PM, omgdrdoom said:

I've watched them plenty. Rodgers is one of the best QBs of all time. I have no issue saying that much. 

 

However, he doesn't do it all on his own as you suggest. You're severely underrating some of their players and overrating ours. Would Rodgers be Rodgers with our scheme and coaching? What about contracts? Whatever dude, there's no point in going back and forth because you obviously have a problem with Andy and I'm not in the mood to try and talk a fellow Bengals fan into giving our God damn QB some credit for being a good quarterback. 30 other NFL teams wish they had Rodgers too but he doesn't win games by himself. 

I've backed Andy on this board for 7 years.  He's still good, but he has big flaws.  He's also not even 20% of the QB Rodgers is and the quickest way the Bengals can get better is if they upgrade at QB as it has a much bigger impact and room for big upgrade potential. 

 

Shit rosters win with HOF QBs. Packers fans go on about how much their roster sucks and how much Ted Thompson and McCarthy suck.  They've been bitching for his firing for a long time.  The Colts roster is worst but is it a similar situation with how their roster is mostly trash but Luck makes them a contender when he plays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2018 at 12:52 PM, fredtoast said:

Why look at just one team (Packers) to see if firing a coach works out?  Why not look at every team in the league?

Good point. You could easily look at the Giants firing of Coughlin and subsequent suck as the other side of the coin. Only time will tell if the Packers and I will add Del Rio at Oakland were smart moves. 

 

Marvin's issue is different IMHO. He simply hasn't had post season success in 15 years and seems to be regressing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...