Is Joe Brady what we wanted Zac Taylor to be?

2019 January

We were done with Marvin. It was evident that we weren't going anywhere more than where he had brought us.

We kind of talked ourselves into Zac Taylor. He was coming from an innovative offense and had interviewed several places adding to his legitimacy despite his lack of a long resume. 

We hoped despite his long resume, his relationships would allow him to add a veteran coaching staff.

2019 January-2020 December

We have won 4 games in 2 years. 

We glanced over the part that he was an assistant for the Rams, not in charge of calling plays and just another piece of the puzzle when it came to designing plays

He hired his friends. His Defensive Coordinator and Offensive Coordinator were both his friends who shared his lack of experience. He likely had the chance at Bill Callahan to run his OL and he didn't take it.

The plan seemed ok. Maybe we had the wrong guy. When I started considering potential options to replace Taylor I posed the question to Locked On Bengals Jake Liscow about what OC would be the best fit with Burrow. My mind went right past the obvious believing we couldn't repeat our mistakes. Liscow responded "Joe Brady, LOL.". I still dismissed it. But I think he deserves more consideration. 

Taylor's offensive genius was overstated. Brady's isn't. He worked with Brees in New Orleans for 2 years, Burrow in Baton Rouge for a year and now has improved the offense in Carolina. He has a deeper track record of both calling and designing plays. 

His connections are also deeper....assuming he is willing to delve into them.

OFFENSE

• He is likely to design the offense but maybe he will be willing to let someone else call plays. Joe Lombardi is stuck behind Pete Cunningham in New Orleans. Lombardi has been an OC before in Detroit. Jim Bob Cooter was the QBs coach for Lombardi in Detroit. He is likely to be out as RBs coach in New York and could coach either position under Brady. He was the Lions OC after Lombardi was let go. Some interesting guys who coached with Cooter this year, Shawn Jefferson (WR), Hines Ward, (Assistant WR) and Frank Pollack (OL). 
  • If you rabbit hole it a little more Sean Payton has ties to both Doug Marrone and Anthony Lynn. Both head coaches are likely out this year. Marrone was the OC for Payton prior to Cunningham and has coached the OL. While I doubt you could get both, each is well recognized as being a very good coach despite the results and could be the perfect person to help Brady navigate the ins and outs of head coaching in the NFL. Something that has been absent for Taylor. Let's say Marrone came on board because he has the added bonus of giving us a solid OL coach as well. Some interesting guys who coached with Marrone this year, Jay Gruden (OC), Ben McAdoo (QB) and Keenan McCarddell (WR). You could easily switch and have Lynn be the RBs coach and Asst HC (Cooter the QBs coach) and then beg Pollack to come back. 
  • If you had Lombardi, Jim Bob Cooter, McAdoo and Doug Marrone on your offensive staff you would have a long term head coach and 5 guys who had called plays in the NFL.  That's probably unrealistic but you can see how a combination of these veteran coaches makes sense. 
  • A wildcard is Michigan OC Josh Gattis. He was the WRs coach for Penn State when Brady was a GA there.

DEFENSE

• Anarumo is probably replaced this year. The 2 guys who seem to have the most momentum that we were linked to before hiring him were Aaron Glenn and Aubrey Pleasant. Glenn obviously has direct ties to Brady having coached with him for 2 years in New Orleans. 
  • Glenn coached with Anthony Weaver, the Texans interim DC and DL coach in Cleveland.

I actually think Zac's offensive system was pretty good until Burrow went down. My main criticism is that he passed too often. Think what he could have done with an O-line? It's all the other things that have brought Zac down as a head coach such as his choices of assistants

7 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

2019 January

We were done with Marvin. It was evident that we weren't going anywhere more than where he had brought us.

We kind of talked ourselves into Zac Taylor. He was coming from an innovative offense and had interviewed several places adding to his legitimacy despite his lack of a long resume. 

We hoped despite his long resume, his relationships would allow him to add a veteran coaching staff.

2019 January-2020 December

We have won 4 games in 2 years. 

We glanced over the part that he was an assistant for the Rams, not in charge of calling plays and just another piece of the puzzle when it came to designing plays

He hired his friends. His Defensive Coordinator and Offensive Coordinator were both his friends who shared his lack of experience. He likely had the chance at Bill Callahan to run his OL and he didn't take it.

The plan seemed ok. Maybe we had the wrong guy. When I started considering potential options to replace Taylor I posed the question to Locked On Bengals Jake Liscow about what OC would be the best fit with Burrow. My mind went right past the obvious believing we couldn't repeat our mistakes. Liscow responded "Joe Brady, LOL.". I still dismissed it. But I think he deserves more consideration. 

Taylor's offensive genius was overstated. Brady's isn't. He worked with Brees in New Orleans for 2 years, Burrow in Baton Rouge for a year and now has improved the offense in Carolina. He has a deeper track record of both calling and designing plays. 

His connections are also deeper....assuming he is willing to delve into them.

OFFENSE

• He is likely to design the offense but maybe he will be willing to let someone else call plays. Joe Lombardi is stuck behind Pete Cunningham in New Orleans. Lombardi has been an OC before in Detroit. Jim Bob Cooter was the QBs coach for Lombardi in Detroit. He is likely to be out as RBs coach in New York and could coach either position under Brady. He was the Lions OC after Lombardi was let go. Some interesting guys who coached with Cooter this year, Shawn Jefferson (WR), Hines Ward, (Assistant WR) and Frank Pollack (OL). 
  • If you rabbit hole it a little more Sean Payton has ties to both Doug Marrone and Anthony Lynn. Both head coaches are likely out this year. Marrone was the OC for Payton prior to Cunningham and has coached the OL. While I doubt you could get both, each is well recognized as being a very good coach despite the results and could be the perfect person to help Brady navigate the ins and outs of head coaching in the NFL. Something that has been absent for Taylor. Let's say Marrone came on board because he has the added bonus of giving us a solid OL coach as well. Some interesting guys who coached with Marrone this year, Jay Gruden (OC), Ben McAdoo (QB) and Keenan McCarddell (WR). You could easily switch and have Lynn be the RBs coach and Asst HC (Cooter the QBs coach) and then beg Pollack to come back. 
  • If you had Lombardi, Jim Bob Cooter, McAdoo and Doug Marrone on your offensive staff you would have a long term head coach and 5 guys who had called plays in the NFL.  That's probably unrealistic but you can see how a combination of these veteran coaches makes sense. 
  • A wildcard is Michigan OC Josh Gattis. He was the WRs coach for Penn State when Brady was a GA there.

DEFENSE

• Anarumo is probably replaced this year. The 2 guys who seem to have the most momentum that we were linked to before hiring him were Aaron Glenn and Aubrey Pleasant. Glenn obviously has direct ties to Brady having coached with him for 2 years in New Orleans. 
  • Glenn coached with Anthony Weaver, the Texans interim DC and DL coach in Cleveland.

Good post, solid analysis, but it probably won't happen. I think all of the coaches will be back before this happens. 

3 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Good post, solid analysis, but it probably won't happen. I think all of the coaches will be back before this happens. 

No they wont..

Turner will be gone as well as Al "not so" Golden..

I believe Golden is as bad as Turner..

Have you seen Any improvement in any backer this year? No..

Anusumo should be gone as well..

2 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

So you guys are all saying we not only have to draft good players, but in addition, coach them well? Wow, no wonder Pumpkin said it was hard to run an NFL team. 

Question..

Injuries are part of the game..Next man up and so..

Have the Bengals been decimated by all these injuries this year?

12 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Question..

Injuries are part of the game..Next man up and so..

Have the Bengals been decimated by all these injuries this year?

Lots of teams have injuries, our issue is most of our starters are backups on good teams which means our backups should not even be in the league. If we had better coaches the starters and backups would perform better. Injury exception to JB - any team that loses its starting QB is farked. But we only had 2 wins with JB. 

We draft shitty and coach shitty, until that is fixed, we are shitty.

32 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Lots of teams have injuries, our issue is most of our starters are backups on good teams which means our backups should not even be in the league. If we had better coaches the starters and backups would perform better. Injury exception to JB - any team that loses its starting QB is farked. But we only had 2 wins with JB. 

We draft shitty and coach shitty, until that is fixed, we are shitty.

When you lose both DTs and Hubbard what line do you have? Just Lawson..

When yoyr backers arernt improving..

When your Dbacks have been in and out with injuries..

When you lose Mixon and JB..

Ita astonishing to me that they even won a game this year..

The Pats had what 6 guys on Defense who opted out, plus some injuries and they lost Brady, have no TE's or WR's yet they are essentially at .500? 

Some teams deal with injuries and some just make excuses about them. 

Goes back to how all all the planets and stars have to align for us to even be mildly competitive.  Every season the team crosses its collective fingers and toes and hopes for both no injuries and every player having a breakout season. Seems reasonable...

2 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

The Pats had what 6 guys on Defense who opted out, plus some injuries and they lost Brady, have no TE's or WR's yet they are essentially at .500? 

Some teams deal with injuries and some just make excuses about them. 

The Pats have a lil bit better HC than Taylor..

Theey also have good assistants to 

coach the players up...

And we have what??

Archived