2 months into Sports Betting in Kentucky and some people have already lost it all.

Catfish Bob

Guy that I know (we will call him Tom) who is a pretty normal guy. Late 60s. His wife passed away from cancer some time ago. He's been living alone since doing seemingly fine. Has kids and grand kids that visit him often.

Anyway I noticed Tom's house had a for sale out front. So I asked him about it. "What's up Tom? Where the hell you moving to?"  "Hopefully my daughter will take me in" he says.

I'm like oh your going to live with them and help out with the kids and stuff?   "Not really," he says.  I'm like well whats the deal man? you not like living here no more?   Then that's when he tells me that he has lost everything to Fanduel.  I didn't ask him too much after that I just kinda said ok buddy. My wife knows one of his daughters and she was telling my wife that ol Tom done blew through his retirement funds and went into debt. Now he has to sell the house to pay the debt and has no where to go except for his daughter's.

Pretty sad story.  I know him fairly well and I've never heard him talk about gambling. Its really a surprise to everyone.  He just kept losing and just kept betting more and more higher stakes. Each time thinking this will be the one that I win and get back to even or not down so much. 

I can see why gambling has been against the law for so long. Maybe it should've stayed that way.  Some people just get so sucked in its crazy. 

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

I can no stress enough how much gambling hurts poor people.

It’s predatory as fuck. They should require bank statements and debt to income analysis before letting people gamble over ‘X’ amount of money. The house always wins, and people need to be protected from the house. Particularly online. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Elflocko said:

It’s predatory as fuck. They should require bank statements and debt to income analysis before letting people gamble over ‘X’ amount of money. The house always wins, and people need to be protected from the house. Particularly online. 

Completely agree.

• 2 weeks later...