Bengals safety Dax Hill: 'I have so much more to contribute'

6d0b487f-4755-4767-b7a9-8eb75411a753-CG_Charlie Goldsmith
Cincinnati Enquirer

One play summed up a year filled with inconsistency and learning curves in the Cincinnati Bengals’ secondary. 

The Pittsburgh Stealers set the tone for Saturday’s 34-11 win over the Bengals with an 86-yard touchdown to wide receiver George Pickens on their opening drive. As Pickens caught the slant over the middle of the field, Bengals second-year safety Dax Hill tried to get in position to make a tackle that would limit an explosive play.

“The No. 1 thing that (safeties) are being taught is to take the proper inside-out angle to the ball and don’t overrun it,” Bengals defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo said. “He overran it.”

Hill took a bad angle, tackled Bengals cornerback DJ Turner and watched Pickens sprint to the end zone. 

The Bengals believed in their young secondary entering the season based on the speed, pedigree and football IQ within the group. Expectations were higher for Hill than anyone else, but his second year in the NFL hasn’t been the breakout season that Hill and everyone at Paycor Stadium expected.

“I haven’t really tapped into what I can do,” Hill said. “I have so much more to contribute. I can do so much more. Picks. Different things like that. I haven’t really shown that so far. I’m making plays, but you’ve got to convert on the splash plays.”

Entering last season, the Bengals had a veteran secondary with Chidobe Awuzie, Eli Apple and Mike Hilton at cornerback and Jessie Bates III and Vonn Bell at safety. Awuzie and Hilton are the only starters remaining from that group, and Awuzie hasn't come back to the same level of player that he was in 2022 before he tore his ACL.

As the Bengals built a new-look secondary, Hill was expected to immediately become the piece that tied it all together. During training camp before Hill’s rookie year in 2022, he looked ready to make splash plays in coverage when he got reps with the first-team defense. The Bengals drafted Hill to replace Bates, and Hill gave the Bengals’ defense the potential to be even more versatile.

Compared to Bates, Hill is a better blitzer, better in man coverage and stronger in contested catch situations. But over the course of the year, the Bengals have constantly been reminded of the areas that Bates was turning into strengths of the defense.

Over the last few weeks, Hill allowed a deep catch over the middle when Hill says, he “could have aligned a little bit better against the tight end.” He dropped two picks against the Jacksonville Jaguars. One of them slipped out of his hands and fell right to a wide receiver in the end zone, and Anarumo said that Hill didn’t attack the ball well enough on the other one. Hill also filled the wrong gap on an explosive run by the Minnesota Vikings.

“One week is a good week and the next is an up-and-down week,” Hill said. “You can only say so much that ‘it’s about time’ or ‘it’s (about) reps.’ There are opportunities for me. I’m trusting myself and my abilities.”

Hill, a first-round pick and one of the best athletes on the defense, has had plenty of moments where he highlighted his ceiling as a Pro Bowl caliber player. Against the Vikings, he read a deep ball to wide receiver Justin Jefferson perfectly and helped Bengals cornerback Mike Hilton knock it away. Hill’s instincts and ability in coverage helped the Bengals take away a near game-changing deep throw to the best receiver in football.

Later in that game, during overtime, Hill made a diving tackle to stop Vikings tight end TJ Hockenson short of the sticks. On the next two plays, the Bengals stopped quarterback sneaks to force a turnover on downs. Hill’s ability to guard tight ends in one-on-one matchups and his tackling have exceeded the expectations of the coaching staff.

But one week later, Hill was reminded of how much room he has to grow when Rudolph threw for 290 yards.“There are so many bright spots, but it’s (Hill’s) rookie year playing safety,” Anarumo said.

“He has done some really good things playing safety, and he has done some not so good things. That’s a part of it. I really think he has a high ceiling. I really love everything about him. He’ll be bigger, stronger and better next year. We need him to be bigger, stronger and better on Sunday.”

In 2021 and 2022, Bates and Bell played their best football when the Bengals faced the Kansas City Chiefs. Now, that responsibility falls on Hill and rookie safety Jordan Battle. 

Hill will be the player trying to take away deep throws from Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes, who has the best arm in the NFL. On third downs and in two-minute drills, Hill will be guarding future Hall of Fame tight end Travis Kelce. 

Before practices recently, Hill has been getting extra work in with practice squad quarterback Drew Plitt. Hill is working on swooping in from a high zone coverage and cutting off a deep pass down the sideline. He’s working toward the first big interception of his NFL career, and Hill will get that chance on Sunday.

“The coaches are putting me in good positions to make plays,” Hill said. “I’m trying to make sure I get those catches.”

(cincinnati.com)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

he needs to step it up

Certainly does.

I still wonder if he's better suited for the slot with his speed and tackling talent.

Jordan Battle could roam centerfield 

if they draft a SS that could contend for a starter role next year.

Hopefully he has the game of his life against Kelce this week to erase my fears.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Certainly does.

I still wonder if he's better suited for the slot with his speed and tackling talent.

Jordan Battle could roam centerfield 

if they draft a SS that could contend for a starter role next year.

Hopefully he has the game of his life against Kelce this week to erase my fears.

I suspect if he doesn't come on next year they will find another safety and try him in the slot when Hilton leaves.

On 12/28/2023 at 4:45 PM, sparky151 said:

I'd like to see the Bengals draft Michigan CB Mikey Sainristil as the heir to Hilton. He's feisty and plays bigger than his actual size. I think he'll be around in the 4th round. 

100%. he’s got some Hilton in his game, too. Good tackler, fiery, a leader. And a playmaker. 

• Upvote 1