TikTok ban in the US?

Go Skins

6 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

this is so stupid

Apple, Nike, etc use Chinese political prison labor to prop up their entire supply chain = no problemo!!

Chance to set precedent of banning open-sourced media sites = China bad!!

On 3/13/2024 at 7:56 PM, Jamie_B said:

this is so stupid

I could go either way.. (Seinfeld joke)... Anyway, I see people saying what about their free speech?! It has nothing to do with free speech because it's an APP. Freaking Apple band apps all the time. Hosts ban web pages all the time too! 

9 minutes ago, Gary said:

I could go either way.. (Seinfeld joke)... Anyway, I see people saying what about their free speech?! It has nothing to do with free speech because it's an APP. Freaking Apple band apps all the time. Hosts ban web pages all the time too! 

The difference between Apple taking an app out of their store and a federal ban that includes a provision for shutting off an individual's internet access entirely should be obvious

I didn't see the "cutting off internet" part of it. They threatening to cut it off if people access the app? It's not going to go that far anyway, no matter how much I hate tiktok, and the people that use it for stupid dancing videos or cry videos. Hell, take the whole internet away from everyone. It's only caused division anyway. 

tiktok sent out this message to users to talk to their local representative (congress) and let them know you want to stop the ban on tiktok. There were quite a few threats sent to different offices (most likely by children who don't know any better), or messages that say if they ban it then they would kill themselves. I then understood why a ban would be good. People spend far too much time on their "devices". When I get home my phone goes on the charger until the next day, or if I need to take it to the store with me to access music. I spend maybe 10-30mins a day with my phone. 

Having 2 young kids I get it. I will ban social media from them as long as possible. It's an attention span killer and creates very negative situations when it comes to comparison. 

What I found really interesting is when they brought in the leaders of Facebook and they chastised them for what they do and how dangerous it is. There is a direct parallel that can be drawn to gun manufacturers and the same people won't touch it. whats good for the goose is good for the gander. They are finally going after parents related to guns. They have to go after the manufacturers to.

The government is full of greedy cowards. 

On 3/16/2024 at 12:26 AM, Gary said:

I didn't see the "cutting off internet" part of it. They threatening to cut it off if people access the app? It's not going to go that far anyway, no matter how much I hate Tiktok, and the people that use it for stupid dancing videos or cry videos. Hell, take the whole internet away from everyone. It's only caused division anyway. 

Tiktok sent out this message to users to talk to their local representative (congress) and let them know you want to stop the ban on Tiktok. There were quite a few threats sent to different offices (most likely by children who don't know any better), or messages that say if they ban it then they would kill themselves. I then understood why a ban would be good. People spend far too much time on their "devices". When I get home my phone goes on the charger until the next day, or if I need to take it to the store with me to access music. I spend maybe 10-30 mins a day with my phone. 

Do you get a lot of texts?  Take social media out of it, I could be on my phone for 30+ minutes a day off texting alone.  

This is the one area that I lean Libertarian.

It isn't the governments responsibility to police social media for anything other than potential terror threats. If your kids are spending too much time on social media, that's something you should deal with. If you don't like the content they see, again put blockers on the apps. 

The idea that China is using TikTok to dumb down our populace as a way to make us weaker is kind of a hard sell to me, our populace is already dumb enough, they don't need TikTok to help that.

If anything I think I believe this is more of a way for those in power to stop Gen Z from organizing as TikTok has been the predominate way they have been doing that.

5 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

If anything I think I believe this is more of a way for those in power to stop Gen Z from organizing as TikTok has been the predominate way they have been doing that.

That's exactly what it is about.  All this moralizing shit is just a weak excuse, it's about as valid as comic books causing juvenile delinquency in the 50's or the Satanic Panic of the 80's.  If China is such a threat maybe we shouldn't be dependent on them for anything that runs on electricity.

13 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

That's exactly what it is about.  All this moralizing shit is just a weak excuse, it's about as valid as comic books causing juvenile delinquency in the 50's or the Satanic Panic of the 80's.  If China is such a threat maybe we shouldn't be dependent on them for anything that runs on electricity.

Not my words, but paraphrasing

We have to block TikTok to stop China from influencing us on the same phones they sell us.

30 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Not my words, but paraphrasing

We have to block TikTok to stop China from influencing us on the same phones they sell us.

If the powers that be want to have a conversation about how social media algos are being written & why, across the board, that's a different conversation. 

Or if we're worried about China "influencing" us, anyone else familiar with the OceanWide Plaza mess in DTLA?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceanwide_Plaza

Would love to see the feds turn a team of forensic accountants loose on that shit.  Or just seize it, but they won't, because Chinese influence 💰💰💰

19 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

This is the one area that I lean Libertarian.

It isn't the governments responsibility to police social media for anything other than potential terror threats. If your kids are spending too much time on social media, that's something you should deal with. If you don't like the content they see, again put blockers on the apps. 

The idea that China is using TikTok to dumb down our populace as a way to make us weaker is kind of a hard sell to me, our populace is already dumb enough, they don't need TikTok to help that.

Speaking of Gen Z:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/how-gen-z-is-challenging-the-taboo-of-talking-about-salaries-its-important-to-showcase-my-finances-in-a-transparent-way-230652337.html