Mixon in the Ring?

Comparing stats doesn't really hold up for more than 10 years or so, anyone playing before then was in a very different game.  

I'd put Gio in there before Mixon tbh..  It's not the Ring of Stats anyhow, being average and waving guns at people doesn't do it for me.  Likewise Dillon has great numbers but was kind of a raging asshole by all accounts.   The Ring's for people that played well AND represented the team & city well at the same time.  Should be about more than who gained the most yards from scrimmage IMHO.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Griever said:

Where would you put Geno?

Aw geez.... that line on my spreadsheet was hidden.  Lol.  And my top 10/20 were done by hand assuming all the players I could see were all the players being considered.

Mea culpa.  I'll redo the post shortly to update it for the HUGE oversight on my part.

Among DLs, I would slot Geno as #2 between Tim and Carlos.

Hell ... Anybody else as obvious as Geno that I forgot? Klingler? Ross?  Verser?  Akili?  Lol.

• Upvote 1

Okay....  Having included Geno now (still embarrased btw) here's the update.  Geno slots in between Krumrie and Dunlap as my #2 Defensive Lineman for induction, and he bumps Dalton out of the top 10 overall.  

To answer the question....  yes. I believe Joe Mix will be on the ring.  But think Brooks and Dillon go first, so it may be a while.

For what it's worth, here's MY list at each position for the ring.  Earlier names should preceed later ones, left-to-right.  Current nominees are underlined, those in my overall Top 10 are BOLDED:

QB: Dalton Palmer Kitna

RB: DILLON BROOKS Mixon Rudi Ickey

WR: GREEN Collinsworth Pickens

TE: Trumpy Holman

OL: MONTOYA WHITWORTH Lapham

DL: KRUMRIE GENO Dunlap Peko Wilkinson

LB: SPIKES R.Williams
DB: PARRISH Fulcher

PK: Breech

HC: WYCHE Lewis

My Overall Top 20:

1-10: ParrishKrumrieDillonMontoya, Green, Wyche, Brooks, Spikes, Whitworth, Geno,

11-20: Dalton, Marvin, Trumpy, Dunlap, Palmer, Collinsworth, Reggie, Peko, FulcherLapham

The actual order of induction will be shuffled, based on recency bias, popularity, exposure, and (I would hope) age, since older players should go in right away while they're here to be recognized (cough Ken Riley cough).  I expect Trumpy and Collinsworth will probably leapfrog many on this list due to exposure, and Whitworth finishing as a Ram will push him down the list in the eyes of the voters.  But if it were up to me, based on impact, talent, and the value they brought to the franchise, I'm comfortable with the list as shown.

Note: Ickey is on the list because he's in the same "Ambassador" class as Chad and Boomer. He is one of the universally-recognizable "faces" of the Bengals and he and the team will be forever linked... he'll never see Canton, but I wouldn't be surprised to see his name on the ring at some point.

You'll disagree.  That's cool, because we can't both be right and it's nice to know it's me.    :)

• Like 1

The toughest part of that ^^ list for me is what to do about the 1st generation Bengal.  No idea how to compare players like Bob Johnson, Paul Robinson, Bill Bergey, Jim LeClair, Tommy Cassanova, Greg Cook and even Coy Bacon and others with those shown above.  If the team hasn't included them on the ring ballot, then I certanly don't know what to do about them.

And to be honest, looking back at Geno's career, even though I've got him behind Timmy, (and stand by that) I'm thinking that at #10 overall he's probably too low.  Maybe #7 (beween Wyche and Brooks)?  Gotta think on that one.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AmishBengalFan said:

The toughest part of that ^^ list for me is what to do about the 1st generation Bengal.  No idea how to compare players like Bob Johnson, Paul Robinson, Bill Bergey, Jim LeClair, Tommy Cassanova, Greg Cook and even Coy Bacon and others with those shown above.  If the team hasn't included them on the ring ballot, then I certanly don't know what to do about them.

And to be honest, looking back at Geno's career, even though I've got him behind Timmy, (and stand by that) I'm thinking that at #10 overall he's probably too low.  Maybe #7 (beween Wyche and Brooks)?  Gotta think on that one.

Krumrie and Brooks .

They were beasts on the field.

True delight for fans ..

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, GoBengals said:

this is one of the more grotesque things to ever be posted on the internet. i am both personally and emotionally offended.

Palmer had more skill, but his hissy-fit at the end of his stay in Cincy knocks him down.  Dalton came in with little notice, as a rookie, and had a great season.   Went from 4-12 to a playoff spot in one season, and started a run of five straight playoff appearances.  His leadership, compared to Palmer's hysteronics, plus the fact that Palmer took a dump on the team and the fanbase, moves him ahead of CP in my list, If either of them get chosen for the ring I sincerely think Dalton goes in first.

Kitna is the only other starting QB not named Burrow worth considering.  I think he's slotted correctly.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, AmishBengalFan said:

Palmer had more skill, but his hissy-fit at the end of his stay in Cincy knocks him down.  Dalton came in with little notice, as a rookie, and had a great season.   Went from 4-12 to a playoff spot in one season, and started a run of five straight playoff appearances.  His leadership, compared to Palmer's hysteronics, plus the fact that Palmer took a dump on the team and the fanbase, moves him ahead of CP in my list, If either of them get chosen for the ring I sincerely think Dalton goes in first.

Kitna is the only other starting QB not named Burrow worth considering.  I think he's slotted correctly.

Ill say it. 

I was more bothered by the way Corey Dillon went out than I was Carson Palmer. 

We're not debating IF but WHEN Corey gets in

• Upvote 1

Okay, what the hell, in for a penny.

- Dalton is 2nd in team history with 31,594 yards, and is the only Bengal not named Kenny Anderson with over 30K.

- Using the old Y+2.7P scoring system(*) that we kicked around here a decade or so ago.  The top 10 starting QBs in franchise history are;

1. 26.8 Kenny Anderson (already inducted)
  2. 18.1 Boomer Esiason (already inducted)
  3. 17.1 Andy Dalton
  4. 12.4 Carson Palmer
  5. 8.7 Jeff Blake
  6. 6.7 Joe Burrow
  7. 5.0 Jon Kitna
  8. 4.0 David Klingler (tiebreak = 3880 yards)
  9. 4.0 Akili Smith (2212 yards)
  10. 4.0 Jack Thompson (2072 yards)

(* - If you recall, we stumbled across this simple formula after looking at other teams' rings in the period before we had ours.  It's simple.... 1 point for every season with the team, 2.7 extra points for every Pro Bowl as a player, or for every Playoff appearance as a head coach.  It didn't guarantee selection, but there was a pretty strong correlation between players with high scores and their appearance on that teams' ring.)

According to this, the top 3 should be Dalton Palmer Blake, with Kitna 4th.  Okay, so maybe Kitna shouldn't be in my top-3 QBs.  But what he meant for the team.... he knew his career was ending when the Stripes drafted Palmer, but he accepted his role as mentor and teacher without complaint... starting the entire 2004 season so Palmer could ease into the starting role, and took the reigns when Palmer got "Kimo'ed" in the playoffs before the entire house of cards collapsed around him.  For his attitude and the value he added to the team, I have no problem moving him ahead of Blake into third... although, truth be told, I think the QBs we have on the ring already pretty much closes the book.

Unrelated observation:  The top 10 QBs by yardage are these guys.  Burrow should slide into the #5 spot in early October:

1. 32,838 Kenny Anderson (16 seasons)
  2. 31,594 Andy Dalton (9)
  3. 27,149 Boomer Esiason (10)
  4. 22,694 Carson Palmer (7)
  5. 15,134 Jeff Blake (6)
  6. 14,083 Joe Burrow (4)
  7. 10,707 Jon Kitna (5)
  8. 3,880 David Klingler (4)
  9. 3,850 Virgil Carter (3)
  10. 2,756 Turk Schoenert (9)
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AmishBengalFan said:

Wouldn't you agree that Kitna has no business on the list though?

I think he has 0 chance of ever getting in.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AmishBengalFan said:

Okay, what the hell, in for a penny.

- Dalton is 2nd in team history with 31,594 yards, and is the only Bengal not named Kenny Anderson with over 30K.

- Using the old Y+2.7P scoring system(*) that we kicked around here a decade or so ago.  The top 10 starting QBs in franchise history are;

1. 26.8 Kenny Anderson (already inducted)
  2. 18.1 Boomer Esiason (already inducted)
  3. 17.1 Andy Dalton
  4. 12.4 Carson Palmer
  5. 8.7 Jeff Blake
  6. 6.7 Joe Burrow
  7. 5.0 Jon Kitna
  8. 4.0 David Klingler (tiebreak = 3880 yards)
  9. 4.0 Akili Smith (2212 yards)
  10. 4.0 Jack Thompson (2072 yards)

(* - If you recall, we stumbled across this simple formula after looking at other teams' rings in the period before we had ours.  It's simple.... 1 point for every season with the team, 2.7 extra points for every Pro Bowl as a player, or for every Playoff appearance as a head coach.  It didn't guarantee selection, but there was a pretty strong correlation between players with high scores and their appearance on that teams' ring.)

According to this, the top 3 should be Dalton Palmer Blake, with Kitna 4th.  Okay, so maybe Kitna shouldn't be in my top-3 QBs.  But what he meant for the team.... he knew his career was ending when the Stripes drafted Palmer, but he accepted his role as mentor and teacher without complaint... starting the entire 2004 season so Palmer could ease into the starting role, and took the reigns when Palmer got "Kimo'ed" in the playoffs before the entire house of cards collapsed around him.  For his attitude and the value he added to the team, I have no problem moving him ahead of Blake into third... although, truth be told, I think the QBs we have on the ring already pretty much closes the book.

Unrelated observation:  The top 10 QBs by yardage are these guys.  Burrow should slide into the #5 spot in early October:

1. 32,838 Kenny Anderson (16 seasons)
  2. 31,594 Andy Dalton (9)
  3. 27,149 Boomer Esiason (10)
  4. 22,694 Carson Palmer (7)
  5. 15,134 Jeff Blake (6)
  6. 14,083 Joe Burrow (4)
  7. 10,707 Jon Kitna (5)
  8. 3,880 David Klingler (4)
  9. 3,850 Virgil Carter (3)
  10. 2,756 Turk Schoenert (9)

Good stuff there Amish.

43 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Ill say it. 

I was more bothered by the way Corey Dillon went out than I was Carson Palmer. 

We're not debating IF but WHEN Corey gets in

Right..

Didn't like his demeanor off the field but 

his ball carrying skills were outstanding.

Like you said ...when

• Upvote 1