Mel Kipers updated mock draft

Guest CrazyIrishman5

Guest CrazyIrishman5
Following the week of Senior Bowl practices, there have been some changes to my first-round projection for the 2006 NFL draft. There are 14 underclassmen in this week's projected first round, three fewer than last week.

The top six picks remain the same, but the one newcomer to the top 10 is Texas defensive back Michael Huff. Right now I have him projected to land in San Francisco, which has the seventh overall pick. What I like about Huff is his versatility because he can play either cornerback or safety.

This projected pick reminds me of what the 49ers did in 1981 in a similar situation. In the '81 draft, the 49ers had the eighth overall pick and selected another versatile defensive back: USC's Ronnie Lott.

I will submit another first-round projection following the NFL combine, which is Feb. 22-28 in Indianapolis.

First-Round Projections
1. Houston Reggie Bush, RB* USC
2. New Orleans Matt Leinart, QB USC
3. Tennessee Vince Young, QB* Texas
4. N.Y. Jets D'Brickashaw Ferguson, T Virginia
5. Green Bay Mario Williams, DE* NC State
6. Oakland A.J. Hawk, LB Ohio St.
7. San Francisco Michael Huff, DB Texas
8. Buffalo Haloti Ngata, DT* Oregon
9. Detroit Jay Cutler, QB Vanderbilt
10. Arizona DeAngelo Williams, RB Memphis
11. St. Louis Vernon Davis, TE* Maryland
12. Cleveland Chad Greenway, LB Iowa
13. Baltimore Tamba Hali, DE Penn St.
14. Philadelphia Winston Justice, T* USC
15. Atlanta Jimmy Williams, DB Virginia Tech
16. Miami Ashton Youboty, CB* Ohio St.
17. Minnesota LenDale White, RB* USC
18. Dallas Marcus McNeill, T Auburn
19. San Diego Santonio Holmes, WR* Ohio St.
20. Kansas City Tye Hill, CB Clemson
21. New England Laurence Maroney, RB* Minnesota
22. Denver (from WSH) Mathias Kiwanuka, DE Boston College
23. Tampa Bay DeMeco Ryans, LB Alabama
[b]24. Cincinnati Ko Simpson, DB* South Carolina[/b]
25. N.Y. Giants Johnathan Joseph, CB* South Carolina
26. Chicago Leonard Pope, TE* Georgia
27. Carolina Dominique Byrd, TE USC
28. Jacksonville Ernie Sims, OLB* Florida St.
29. Denver Sinorice Moss, WR Miami
30. Indianapolis Taitusi "Deuce" Lutui, G USC
31. Pittsburgh Bobby Carpenter, LB Ohio St.
32. Seattle Maurice Stovall, WR Notre Dame

Guest BengalsOwn
A DB in the first round?

Man, I hope we don't start the season with John "rumor spreading" Thornton and Bryan "Justin Smith's drinking buddy" Robinson as our starting DT's.

Guest BadassBengal

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='212295' date='Feb 1 2006, 06:55 PM']I could live with that... if Kiwi drops two more spots, i would jump on that in a heartbeat tho[/quote]

:lol:

Justin has more pass rushing moves than that lame.

[quote name='BadassBengal' post='212314' date='Feb 1 2006, 07:24 PM'][quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='212295' date='Feb 1 2006, 06:55 PM']
I could live with that... if Kiwi drops two more spots, i would jump on that in a heartbeat tho[/quote]

:lol:

Justin has more pass rushing moves than that lame.
[/quote]

dudes a beast... can run fast... teach him a few moves and see what he does... isn't he built just like peppers?

Guest oldschooler
I hate to see Michael Huff`s stock rising.
I really like him alot.

Can`t stop dreaming about Madeiu, Deltha,
him and (whoever ...lol) as our DB`s.

I`d also love to see either Mario Williams or Haloti Ngata drop in our lap
some how some way...

[quote name='oldschooler' post='212337' date='Feb 1 2006, 08:15 PM']I hate to see Michael Huff`s stock rising.
I really like him alot.

him (whoever ...lol) as our DB`s.

some how some way...[/quote]

If, we were to non-tender KW and pick up a 3rd round, couple with rumors of Tory to SanFran;

would you trade our 24 and the previous mention to move up and get Huff :unsure:

is it too much or not enough :unsure:

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='212294' date='Feb 1 2006, 06:55 PM']A DB in the first round?

Man, I hope we don't start the season with John "rumor spreading" Thornton and Bryan "Justin Smith's drinking buddy" Robinson as our starting DT's.[/quote]

Ko Simpson is one of the best safeties available, and there will be good DTs available in Round 2 (better than what we have anyway).

[quote name='JC' post='212352' date='Feb 1 2006, 08:38 PM']im perfectly content with ko simpson...unless we can get Ngata.[/quote]

No chance w/ get Ngata unless we move up. He's top ten for sure. I'd love Ko Simpson at 24, he's going to be a solid safety. I think there are a really solid group of safeties with Huff leading the pack.

Guest oldschooler

[quote name='Lawman' post='212338' date='Feb 1 2006, 07:19 PM'][quote name='oldschooler' post='212337' date='Feb 1 2006, 08:15 PM']
I really like him alot.

If, we were to non-tender KW and pick up a 3rd round, couple with rumors of Tory to SanFran;

would you trade our 24 and the previous mention to move up and get Huff :unsure:

[/quote]

Hell yeah I`d trade Washington and James for Michael Huff ! (basically what you said).

Ecspecially if we were able to sign Ma'ake Kemoeatu in Free Agency !

[quote name='oldschooler' post='212357' date='Feb 1 2006, 08:57 PM'][quote name='Lawman' post='212338' date='Feb 1 2006, 07:19 PM']
[quote name='oldschooler' post='212337' date='Feb 1 2006, 08:15 PM']
I really like him alot.

[/quote]

Hell yeah I`d trade Washington and James for Michael Huff ! (basically what you said).

Ecspecially if we were able to sign Ma'ake Kemoeatu in Free Agency !
[/quote]

If we can sign this DT, our Draft can be set up to be something special.

I could be wrong, but I think this Draft is the Deepest in the area's of our weaknesses. B)

Guest BlackJesus
[size=3]Ko would be a great pick ....

as a Gamecock fan I have watched him for 2 seasons and he is similar to Madieu but can also lay the lumber on people .....[/size]

[img]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2005/08/16/gallery.sec/simpson.jpg[/img]

Guest BlackJesus

[size=2]I am really suprised to see Mathias Kiwanuka fall to #22 ..... I think he is a sure top 10 pick ...

if he fell that far we would have to trade up for him ....[/size]

[img]http://www.pscottcummins.com/blog/BOSTON_KIWANUKA250.jpg[/img]

[color="#990000"][size=4]DE
6'8
262 lbs

Linebacker speed

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: [/size] [/color]

[i]adding him to my wishlist now that there might be a possibility he is there :headbang: [/i]

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='212294' date='Feb 1 2006, 06:55 PM']A DB in the first round?
Man, I hope we don't start the season with John "rumor spreading" Thornton and Bryan "Justin Smith's drinking buddy" Robinson as our starting DT's.[/quote]

So...Only a DT will satisfy you in Round 1. Prepare to be...well...[b]YOU.[/b]

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='212295' date='Feb 1 2006, 06:55 PM']I could live with that... if Kiwi drops two more spots, i would jump on that in a heartbeat tho[/quote]

I think if Kiwanuka drops to 24, it would be hard to by-pass him...I'm a bit sad that Hali keeps rising, because I don't think he'll make it to us anymore.

[quote name='Lawman' post='212338' date='Feb 1 2006, 08:19 PM']If, we were to non-tender KW and pick up a 3rd round, couple with rumors of Tory to SanFran; would you trade our 24 and the previous mention to move up and get Huff :unsure:

is it too much or not enough :unsure: [/quote]

I wouldn't trade that much to get Huff...I think there are going to be valuable guys in 3 or 4 that will also improve our team, and continue to keep our salary cap in awesome shape. Also...I just don't think that Huff is the answer for us. (although I do believe he is a first round talent)

[quote name='Lawman' post='212359' date='Feb 1 2006, 09:03 PM']I could be wrong, but I think this Draft is the Deepest in the area's of our weaknesses. B) [/quote]

I couldn't agree more...I think that we are all going to be pleasantly surpised on draft day, because there is enough depth at DT, S and TE to enable the Bengals to draft for need and still get BPA guys...Or the equivalent.

BZ

[quote name='BlackJesus' post='212399' date='Feb 1 2006, 10:13 PM'][size=2]I am really suprised to see Mathias Kiwanuka fall to #22 ..... I think he is a sure top 10 pick ...

6'8
262 lbs

Linebacker speed

[i]adding him to my wishlist now that there might be a possibility he is there :headbang: [/i][/quote]

I would love Kiwi... tho I fear that once he hits the combine, everyone will clock his 40 and realize how special this guy can be and will rise again on the draft board

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='212410' date='Feb 1 2006, 10:20 PM']I would love Kiwi... tho I fear that once he hits the combine, everyone will clock his 40 and realize how special this guy can be and will rise again on the draft board[/quote]

I think he will rise again at the combine...But there is enough of a mix going on now, that there's still a possibility he'll be there at 24.

And if he isn't...It could mean that someone like Tye Hill is there for us, and that could really mean something over the next 2-5 years.

BZ

Guest fredtoast
1. I'd love to get Ko ([b]K.O.!) [/b] at 24. I wonder where Kiper has Bing being selected?

2. There is only ONE DT in the entire first round. Hopefully this means there will still be some quality players left at this position when we pick in the second.

3. I would never, ever give up plyers or picks to move up in the NFL draft. I think Marvin is too smart to ever do this. It is just too much of a gamble. Even the best teams have had "can't miss" first round picks that have been busts. The best way to increase your chances of getting a quality player is to increase your number of picks not decrease them.

[quote name='BlackJesus' post='212399' date='Feb 1 2006, 10:13 PM'][size=2]I am really suprised to see Mathias Kiwanuka fall to #22 ..... I think he is a sure top 10 pick ...

6'8
262 lbs

Linebacker speed

[i]adding him to my wishlist now that there might be a possibility he is there :headbang: [/i][/quote]

I think someone like him is just what our defense needs. I seriously doubt he will be there when we draft though....

[quote name='TheBZ' post='212406' date='Feb 1 2006, 10:19 PM'][quote name='BengalsOwn' post='212294' date='Feb 1 2006, 06:55 PM']
A DB in the first round?

So...Only a DT will satisfy you in Round 1. Prepare to be...well...[b]YOU.[/b]

I think if Kiwanuka drops to 24, it would be hard to by-pass him...I'm a bit sad that Hali keeps rising, because I don't think he'll make it to us anymore.

[quote name='Lawman' post='212338' date='Feb 1 2006, 08:19 PM']If, we were to non-tender KW and pick up a 3rd round, couple with rumors of Tory to SanFran; would you trade our 24 and the previous mention to move up and get Huff :unsure:

is it too much or not enough :unsure: [/quote]

I wouldn't trade that much to get Huff...I think there are going to be valuable guys in 3 or 4 that will also improve our team, and continue to keep our salary cap in awesome shape. Also...I just don't think that Huff is the answer for us. (although I do believe he is a first round talent)

[quote name='Lawman' post='212359' date='Feb 1 2006, 09:03 PM']I could be wrong, but I think this Draft is the Deepest in the area's of our weaknesses. B) [/quote]

I couldn't agree more...I think that we are all going to be pleasantly surpised on draft day, because there is enough depth at DT, S and TE to enable the Bengals to draft for need and still get BPA guys...Or the equivalent.

BZ
[/quote]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/brad3261/good-post.jpg[/img]

[quote name='fredtoast' post='212514' date='Feb 2 2006, 12:46 AM']1. I'd love to get Ko ([b]K.O.!) [/b] at 24. I wonder where Kiper has Bing being selected?

2. There is only ONE DT in the entire first round. Hopefully this means there will still be some quality players left at this position when we pick in the second.

3. I would never, ever give up plyers or picks to move up in the NFL draft. I think Marvin is too smart to ever do this. It is just too much of a gamble. Even the best teams have had "can't miss" first round picks that have been busts. The best way to increase your chances of getting a quality player is to increase your number of picks not decrease them.[/quote]

[color="#FF6600"]M.Huff in the First[/color]

[color="#FF6600"]C. Griffin in 2nd.[/color]

[quote name='Patmo' post='212532' date='Feb 2 2006, 05:04 AM']Ko Simpson is a late 2nd rounder.The Drug Store List,which I think is the best out there, has him listed as the 60th best player in the draft.[/quote]
Ko Simpson is [i]easily[/i] a first rounder. Most scouts would tell you that he was the best safety in college football this past year. His only knocks are that he has only started for 2 years and will enter the NFL as a 23 year old rookie.

NFL Draft Countdown has him ranked as the second best safety (behind Huff) and as the 24th ranked player in the entire draft.

NFL Draft Scout has him ranked as the #1 safety in the draft (Huff listed as cornerback)

NFLfans.com has him rated as the #1 free safety in the draft (Huff listed as strong safety)

He's pretty much a perfect fit in our defensive system. He is great in coverage, a ballhawk (6 ints his freshman year), he plays very physical, is as good stopping the run as he is in coverage, and is a sure tackler.

Archived