Bengals interested in Lavar Arrington!

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Packers: Thompson calls Arrington's visit 'good' [/b][/size]
JASON WILDE
608-252-6176
jwilde@madison.com

GREEN BAY - He's not doing it to appease Brett Favre, but the Green Bay Packers quarterback might want to take note that general manager Ted Thompson has now brought in the two biggest free agent names remaining on the market in the past seven days.

One week after the team played host to four-time Pro Bowl cornerback Charles Woodson, three-time Pro Bowl linebacker LaVar Arrington visited Lambeau Field Monday, and Thompson said he thought Arrington had a good visit.

"It went well from my point of view," Thompson said Monday evening. "He seemed to have a good time."

The No.• 2 overall pick in the 2000 draft, Arrington, 27, became a free agent when he bought his way out of what was left on an eight-year, $68 million extension he signed with the Washington Redskins in December 2003 by forfeiting $4.4• million last month.

Earlier in free agency, he visited the Miami Dolphins, New York Giants, [b]Cincinnati Bengals[/b] and Jacksonville Jaguars, and while all those teams remain in the running, Arrington hasn't signed yet because none was willing to meet his asking price.

[b]That price, according to agents Carl and Kevin Poston, includes $10 million in guaranteed money.[/b]

The Postons also represent Woodson, who also remains unsigned after visiting the Packers and Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Thompson certainly won't overpay for Arrington, who went to three straight Pro Bowls from 2001 through '03 but missed 12 games in 2004 with a bone bruise in his knee that required two surgeries.

Despite being cleared medically last season, the 6-foot-3, 255-pound Arrington fell out of favor with the Redskins and only played sparingly, recording 47 tackles in 13 games.

Asked if he thought about getting Arrington and Woodson, prominent players who are coming off injuries and looking for fresh starts, at a discounted price, Thompson replied, "I don't know about that. We just felt like they're pretty good football players. We wanted to visit with them, they agreed. And now we'll see where it goes from there."

Thompson said there has been "some dialogue" between the Packers and Poston regarding Woodson, but that he had no timetable for when Woodson would make a decision.

In his latest comments, before his charity golf tournament in Tunica, Miss., on Saturday, Favre again bemoaned Thompson's relative inaction in free agency, saying the Packers "have to make a statement" and sign a big-name player. Both Arrington and Woodson would fit that bill, although they don't play the position Favre seems most concerned about - offensive line.

Nonetheless, Thompson maintained his interest in Woodson and Arrington had nothing to do with Favre's comments.

"We think they're both players that can help us - or help anybody else," Thompson said. "So we're looking into it."[/quote]

[url="http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/index.php?ntid=79709&ntpid=2"]http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/ind...d=79709&ntpid=2[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' post='248165' date='Apr 12 2006, 09:35 AM'][url="http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/index.php?ntid=79709&ntpid=2"]http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/ind...d=79709&ntpid=2[/url][/quote]

Hmmm. If the Packers sign LaVar, I wonder if that will affect Favre Bean's decision?

[quote name='Jason' post='248166' date='Apr 12 2006, 09:37 AM']Hmmm. If the Packers sign LaVar, I wonder if that will affect Favre Bean's decision?[/quote]

Wait a minute, Favre WANTS offensive weapons. How can he throw to LaVar?

[quote name='Rick' post='248188' date='Apr 12 2006, 10:38 AM']Wait a minute, Favre WANTS offensive weapons. How can he throw to LaVar?[/quote]

Favre wants to play for a contender, not just to have more weapons.

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Arrington visit isn’t a ploy linked to Favre[/b] [/size]

By Rob Demovsky
PackersNews.com

The Green Bay Packers insist their interest in free-agent linebacker LaVar Arrington is genuine and isn’t a ploy simply to convince quarterback Brett Favre to play another season.

Arrington visited Lambeau Field and met with General Manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy on Monday, two days after Favre suggested the Packers should be more active in free agency. Arrington was the second high-profile defensive player to visit Green Bay in the last week. His visit followed one by defensive back Charles Woodson.

“Every player we try to sign is because we’re trying to build the best football team possible,” McCarthy said on Tuesday. “We’re always trying to add good players. I don’t know why you’d want to twist it that way or why anybody would. Our eye is completely on the target in that area, and that’s not going to change.”

Both Arrington and Woodson remain on the Packers’ wish list, though there’s no indication a deal with either is imminent.

“They’ve been good players and starters and Pro Bowl players,” Thompson said. “So yeah, you would hope if you put them in with our group that our group would be better because of those additions. We’re trying to better our team. That’s all we’re trying to do. If signing them makes us a better team, we’ll try to do that.”

Arrington reportedly was encouraged by his visit to the Packers and wanted to speak with Favre, but neither McCarthy nor Thompson said Arrington expressed that to them. It’s unknown whether Arrington made an attempt to reach Favre on Tuesday. Arrington’s agent, Carl Poston, could not be reached.

“He didn’t mention that to me,” Thompson said. “That doesn’t mean he didn’t mention it (to others).”

When asked if a conversation between the two could help sway Arrington or Favre — or both — McCarthy said: “Gosh, I don’t know. Players all talk to each other, but I couldn’t speculate.”

Neither McCarthy nor Thompson said they have talked to Favre since he spoke to reporters Saturday at his charity golf outing in Tunica, Miss. McCarthy said he watched Favre’s news conference on television, but Thompson said he didn’t see it live.

“It really wasn’t much different from a lot of our conversations,” McCarthy said. “I think it’s a perfect example that anytime you’re dealing with someone you put 100 percent stock into what you and that individual talk about.”

[b]Salary-cap room isn’t a problem for the Packers, who are nearly $20 million under the cap[/b],[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/13.gif[/img] but Arrington is believed to be seeking a significant contract. Arrington, who will turn 28 on June 20, paid back more than $4 million of his signing bonus in order for the Washington Redskins to release him and make him a free agent. Reports have suggested he’s seeking a contract in the $7-million-a-year range, and nothing in Thompson’s short history as GM would suggest he’s willing to spend that kind of money on a free agent.

In the last two years, Arrington, a former first-round draft pick, has played in only 17 of a possible 32 regular-season games. He had surgery on his right knee and played in only four games in 2004 and then was in and out of the lineup last season because of philosophical differences with coach Joe Gibbs and defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.

Thompson said he hadn’t seen the medical report on Arrington but didn’t anticipate any problems with his knee.

Though the Packers said the visit went well, it’s always possible Arrington’s agent is using the Packers to drum up interest from other teams.

“We had a good visit,” said McCarthy, who said he spent nearly 2 hours with Arrington. “Two guys from Pittsburgh, what could go wrong?”[/quote]

[url="http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_25561043.shtml"]http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_25561043.shtml[/url]

Guest Bengal_Smoov

[quote name='oldschooler' post='248231' date='Apr 12 2006, 12:17 PM'][url="http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_25561043.shtml"]http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_25561043.shtml[/url][/quote]

With the way FA is playing out LaVar would be smart to take a one year deal, re-invent himself, get NEW agents and get a huge deal next year. It would be like he got franchised for a year. All of the big money deals are done, guys like LaVar, Ty Law, and Charles Woodson aren't going to get the big money deals they had in mind when FA started.

Hopefully LaVar decides to get with some Marvin as he has his best season as a pro with Marvin as his coach. He could come of here for a year and become a FA after he is a SuperBowl champ.. B)

[quote name='oldschooler' post='248231' date='Apr 12 2006, 12:17 PM'][url="http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_25561043.shtml"]http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_25561043.shtml[/url][/quote]

holy crap~! 20 million under~? that means they might be able to pick up lavar and charles woodson if they wanted! :o the packers are just dumb and i agree with favre not making a decision because they havnt done shit to make their team better. They are just losing people.

Guest BlackJesus
[b]If I am the Packers ....

I would sign Charles Woodson, Lavar Arrington, & Ty Law. Then cut Favre for taking too long to decide. [/b]

[quote name='BlackJesus' post='248413' date='Apr 12 2006, 07:13 PM'][b]If I am the Packers ....
I would sign Charles Woodson, Lavar Arrington, & Ty Law. Then cut Favre for taking too long to decide. [/b][/quote]
:lol: ...... that would be a kick in the ass but then again that is impossible bacause he is just about the best player ever to put on a packers jersey

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Arrington has issues to tackle[/b] [/size]
[size=3][b]Packers' prospects, Favre, money are key factors[/b][/size]
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com

Before anyone gets too excited about the possibility of free-agent linebacker LaVar Arrington joining the Green Bay Packers, consider the variables at play.

Arrington wants to play for a winner; the Packers were 4-12 last season.

Arrington wants to know whether Brett Favre is going to retire; the Packers still don't know the quarterback's plans.

Arrington wants a big contract; the Packers have plenty of salary cap room but don't think they should have to pay considerably more than what the market bears.

So although Arrington's visit to the Packers' facility Sunday night and Monday created quite a buzz, it didn't signify a deal is imminent. In fact, this might be only the early stages of a long process that drags out until after the draft April 29 and 30 and perhaps into training camp.

What is clear is that both sides appear serious about examining a marriage that would bring the 27-year-old, three-time Pro Bowl selection to Green Bay.

"There has to be interest from both sides if there's a visit," Arrington's agent, Kevin Poston, said Tuesday. "There were a number of other teams who were interested in him and he chose not to visit. He's realistic. To him, he's not a guy who believes in wasting his time."

Initially, it looked as if Arrington's visit was a concession to Favre, who during a news conference Saturday at his charity golf tournament said he thought the Packers needed to make "a statement" in free agency. But Poston confirmed what the Journal Sentinel reported Monday, that Arrington's visit was arranged well before Favre made his comments.

Poston said the two sides had been talking for a while and that Arrington was actually scheduled to visit last week, but had a conflict with a charity event he was hosting. His visit would have coincided with a visit by free-agent cornerback Charles Woodson, another client of Kevin Poston's and his brother, Carl.

"If they were flying in LaVar and Woodson based on that (Favre's comments) and not to get better, then it's something they would have to discuss," Poston said. "But if we didn't believe they were serious we wouldn't be wasting our time."

During his visit, Arrington asked the Packers if he could talk to Favre, Poston said. Arrington thought that it was important to know whether the future Hall of Fame quarterback was coming back for another season or if there was anything he should know about playing in Green Bay.

Poston said Arrington had not spoken to Favre as of Tuesday afternoon but was still interested in touching base with him.

"I think he would want to know if he's going to play," Poston said. "LaVar is a serious player. He wants to know if this guy is going to return. If so, what do you see for this team and if not what do you think about playing here?"

Poston said it was important for Arrington to land with a team that was willing to pay the price for winning.

"How many guys are playmakers?" Poston said. "How many can change the game? That's what he and Charles can do."

Poston didn't discount the possibility that both Arrington and Woodson could land with the Packers, but he made it clear that neither would be undersold. The free-agent market has been picked through and it's the opinion of many personnel officials that it's going to be difficult for the Postons to get top dollar for their clients.

It could take as much as $14 million in upfront money to get Arrington and $10 million to get Woodson, but the number of suitors for both isn't great and it might be hard for them to hit their numbers. Arrington has drawn interest from the New York Giants, Jacksonville, Cincinnati and Miami, while Woodson's only other serious suitor is Tampa Bay.

"The timetable (for getting a deal done) is when it's right," Poston said. "People say the money has dried up. Not for stars it hasn't.

"I'm not saying they'll wait all day long. But it's when you have an average player, that's when it's difficult. But when you have a Pro Bowl player, they speak for themselves. Both of those guys are impact players."[/quote]

[url="http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=415155"]http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=415155[/url]

Guest schotzee
[quote name='cantstop85' post='249040' date='Apr 13 2006, 10:20 PM']jus keeping this thing alive until he gets signed........any news about it?[/quote]

Just rumors on the Giant's board say the Giant's have pulled their offer.
Green Bay supposedly never made an offer.Who really knows?

[quote name='schotzee' post='249077' date='Apr 13 2006, 11:16 PM']Just rumors on the Giant's board say the Giant's have pulled their offer.
Green Bay supposedly never made an offer.Who really knows?[/quote]

damn so pretty much no one wants his ass until he lowers his price :lmao:

Guest schotzee

[quote name='cantstop85' post='249082' date='Apr 13 2006, 11:22 PM']damn so pretty much no one wants his ass until he lowers his price :lmao:[/quote]

Yea,if he is not signed before the draft ,I would think his price will really have to drop.
He and the Poston's seem to have committed a major blunder.

[quote name='schotzee' post='249097' date='Apr 13 2006, 11:31 PM']Yea,if he is not signed before the draft ,I would think his price will really have to drop.
He and the Poston's seem to have committed a major blunder.[/quote]
\
yeh if he isnt signed b4 the draft he is pretty damn dumb cuz he will lose even more money and he wont have many teams trying to get him if they fulfill their needs through the draft and all.......basically Arrington and his agent are dumb as shit. :lol: ........but wait if he does lower his price after the draft is there a chance we could pick him up like i dont want him but he could definetly help out and all like id only want him if he doesnt ask for much and i think we much rather resign our offensive lineman. Any ones thoughts?

Guest Master Shake

[quote name='cantstop85' post='249099' date='Apr 13 2006, 11:36 PM']\
yeh if he isnt signed b4 the draft he is pretty damn dumb cuz he will lose even more money and he wont have many teams trying to get him if they fulfill their needs through the draft and all.......basically Arrington and his agent are dumb as shit. :lol: ........but wait if he does lower his price after the draft is there a chance we could pick him up like i dont want him but he could definetly help out and all like id only want him if he doesnt ask for much and i think we much rather resign our offensive lineman. Any ones thoughts?[/quote]

if he can't find a long term deal that he wants, maybe he'll take the 1 year offer (provided it's still on the table after the draft...)...but, yeah, him and his agent(s) are dumb as shit.

Guest BlackJesus
[b]Some team in my opinion is going to get the most "physically talented" Linebacker since LT. The issue however will be how much they have to pay .... and if he can then harness that potential to become the dominant LB he should be.

For anything under 6 million I think he is worth it .... however, I think he believes he is worth more than 8 a year. [/b]

Guest oldschooler
[quote]And Lewis is still working it. With Johnson’s salary cap number for this season at about $1.5 million, the Bengals figure to have about $6 million more to spend for this season and [b]he acknowledged again the Bengals have interest in Pro Bowl linebacker LaVar Arrington. But not at his current price, which apparently is higher than the $11 million guarantee Jacksonville reportedly has on the table. [/b][/quote]

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5197"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5197[/url]

Guest starkesn
part of a yahoo sports article on Jeremi's contract.

[size=3][font="Tahoma"][b][quote]Lewis also said Friday that the Bengals remain interested in linebacker LaVar Arrington, who agreed last month to give up $4.4 million on his contract in order to leave the Washington Redskins as a free agent.[/quote][/b][/font][/size]

Archived