Bengals interested in Lavar Arrington!

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='schotzee' post='251284' date='Apr 18 2006, 08:23 AM']Tuesday, April 18, 2006
The game is FINALLY over?
Filed under: Giants 101— Dan Benton @ 5:34 am
I don’t know how many times I dare post “it’s done”. It’s been nothing but trouble for me since day one. But… I can only go with what I hear. So as I usually do, here are the RUMORS.

Not one, not two, not three… Seven sources left me a message for when I woke up this morning. All saying the same exact thing. This time they’re sure.. This time it’s real. They swear up and down that this time it’s accurate.

There was word yesterday Lavar Arrington had announced he’s made up his mind and that the public would hear more in 24 hours. Now there is a strong indication that, that was as true as could be.

For those still hoping that Arrington will be a Giant, you may in fact get your wish.

I have every reason to believe (again - silly me) that Arrington will finally become a New York Giant. Today? Tomorrow? I don’t know. I don’t dare put a time table on the situation again. If the ESPN News report (which a reader on G101 said he heard) is accurate, it could mean Arrington is a Giant today.

I’ve got to admit, if this is all true I am a bit disappointed. At first I wanted LA as much as the next guy. But as I began taking a look at the draft and going over the potential linebackers, I really liked the idea of drafting one more. Not to say Arrington isn’t a talent, because he certainly is, I would have just preferred a rookie the Giants could mold.
[url="http://nygiants.mostvaluablenetwork.com"]http://nygiants.mostvaluablenetwork.com[/url]
If nothing else, at least this saga should finally die.[/quote]

Update posted on that site...

[quote][b]Update:[/b]

I spoke to Jason LaCanfora of the Washington Post via e-mail today. (Who was kind enough to respond to me while on vacation.)

As he has said previously, the Giants were never out of the picture. He stated that if the Arrington camp was to drop the price, there was no doubt in his mind Arrington would sign with the Giants. His guess is that, that is exactly how this will (or is) going down.[/quote]

Guest oldschooler

[quote][size=5][b]Arrington's asking price is too high[/b][/size] [size=7](DUH!)[/size] <-===added by me :D
April 18, 2006

LaVar Arrington still is unsigned, a talented free agent with a too-high asking price and a reputation that makes future employers hesitant.

What is striking is that Arrington is a decent person with a solid off-field reputation who has no history of criminal run-ins or other bad behavior. He left Washington as the most beloved player by far on last year's team, a status he earned in large part because of his visibility in the community.

But none of that is helping him right now. He still views himself as an elite player and wants to be paid accordingly. Teams don't want to overpay for a linebacker who was benched last year and had philosophical differences not only with Redskin defensive guru Gregg Williams [b]but also with former coordinators Marvin Lewis[/b] and Mike Nolan. Clubs wonder if he couldn't do it completely right for those three, why should he be different for them?

The knock on Arrington is that he freelances too much, trying to make the big play instead of sticking with his assignment within a team concept. It's what got him on Williams' bad side and it is what annoyed his previous coaches.

He denies he's at fault, but it is hard to think he is right with so much coaching evidence to the contrary. He certainly is finding the word about his individualism has flooded the league, and it's limiting his market value.

Ultimately, Arrington will have to settle for less than he thinks he's worth and then prove he can do it right, within the team approach. If he doesn't smarten up, he will remain unemployed much longer than he could have ever anticipated.[/quote]

[url="http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=84182"]http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=84182[/url]

Guest BlackJesus
[quote name='Rick' post='251898' date='Apr 19 2006, 01:41 PM']Any new news?[/quote]

[center][img]http://www.african-safari-journals.com/image-files/lionmating.jpg[/img]

no not yet[/center]

Maybe with the quarterback situation a little more solidified with the less expensive Anthony Wright in the fold, it opens up a few more dollars to sign LaVar. And maybe - no definitely - I just posted this to get my feet wet again on the board for the first time in a few weeks and I wanted to contribute just a little piece to this ridiculously long thread. Good day and who-dey.

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='252187' date='Apr 19 2006, 08:24 PM']Maybe with the quarterback situation a little more solidified with the less expensive Anthony Wright in the fold, it opens up a few more dollars to sign LaVar. And maybe - no definitely - I just posted this to get my feet wet again on the board for the first time in a few weeks and I wanted to contribute just a little piece to this ridiculously long thread. Good day and who-dey.[/quote]

you bring up a decent point... I think time will tell once we see Wrights numbers what we're exactly left with. If Marv and Co. are serious about locking up Levi and Steiny longterm, than I wouldnt expect much more on the Lavar front but we will see...

Remember, there still is a certain DT on our roster that would free up roughly 2 mil if we cut him

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]LaVar back as Big Blue possibility [/b][/size]

BY RALPH VACCHIANO
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

LaVar Arrington has reopened talks with Giants, but team says linebacker needs to drop his asking price.

The Giants are back in the LaVar Arrington chase, and this time it appears the ex-Redskins linebacker may be serious about striking a deal.
Arrington will arrive in town for his second visit with the team this morning, according to an associate of his agent, and has even agreed to undergo a physical - something he declined to do when he first visited the Giants on March 11-12. That's an important concession for the 27-year-old free agent because of league-wide concerns about the health of his surgically repaired right knee.

The associate, Kyle Harden, said Arrington's hope is to eliminate any health concerns the Giants might have and jump-start their stalled negotiations. He added that Arrington intends to sign with someone before the April 29 NFL draft - possibly even in the next few days.

That timetable could benefit the Giants - who signed linebacker Brandon Short yesterday to return to the team after two years playing for Carolina - because Harden said they are the only team Arrington is planning to visit before the draft. According to league sources, his only choices are the Giants, Jaguars, Dolphins and Packers. So far none of those teams has been willing to meet his asking price of seven years, $54 million with $18million guaranteed.

Yesterday, Harden did not give any indication that Arrington's asking price will go down. "The team that gets LaVar is getting a three-time Pro Bowler," he said. "LaVar is looking for a fair-market deal."

He'll have to look elsewhere if his price doesn't drop, however, because the Giants are comfortable with finding their starting weakside linebacker somewhere in the draft. If they do, their interest in Arrington would disappear, which was obviously a factor in his decision to take a physical for the team.

If Arrington passes the physical, a Giants source said they would be willing to re-open negotiations if his price is reasonable. Harden said talks between Arrington's agent, Kevin Poston, and Giants assistant GM Kevin Abrams have been "going back and forth" for several weeks, though a Giants source said there had been no serious discussions since early March.

Meanwhile, the addition of Short, who played for the Giants from 2000-03, should have no impact on their pursuit of Arrington. Short, who plays the strong side, was added mostly for depth. Carolina released Short in early March.[/quote]

[url="http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/story/410287p-347162c.html"]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football...7p-347162c.html[/url]

POSTONS CLIENTS LIKELY HAMPERED BY DEPTH OF DRAFT CLASS

As our readers continue to ask us when in the hell guys like LaVar Arrington, Charles Woodson, and/or Ty Law will be signing their next NFL contracts, Bart Hubbuch's item in Wednesday's Florida Times-Union has helped us to identify another reason for the decision of NFL franchises to defer getting one of these three players under contract.

Apart from the fact that all three players are attempting through agents Carl and Kevin Poston to obtain much more money than the market would justify, the positions that these guys play -- linebacker and cornerback -- are well represented at the top of the draft.

So for any team that is interested in these guys only 10 days from April 29, they're likely to attempt to address the positions that they play during the draft.

The practical consequence is that the draft will reduce the number of teams interested in Arrington, Woodson, and/or Law, since at least one of the teams currently looking at one or more of them undoubtedly will decide in the wake of the draft that they've filled their needs.

With less teams interested, there will be less leverage. And, in the end, less money on the table.

It's another reason why the Postons should have gotten these guys signed in early March -- and it's a lesson to every agent with clients on the open market early in the offseason. If you represent a guy who plays a position that is well represented in the draft, get that guy signed long before the names start getting called out in late April.

[quote]According to league sources, his only choices are the Giants, Jaguars, Dolphins and Packers. So far none of those teams has been willing to meet his asking price of seven years, $54 million with $18million guaranteed.[/quote]

I have said for a while he would likely sign with the Giants, but now it appears for the purposes of this thread, that we are out of the running, which is assuming that we were ever in it.

I think Marvin was smart when he offered Lavar a one year $3 million contract probably with some incentives. Lavar has such a big ego that he thinks he will get a ton of money next year. If his ego gets too big he might just sign with us for one year, collect his check, and test the market next year.

Archived