**-------> OFFICIAL BENGALS DRAFT DAY THREAD !!!!! <------**

Guest BlackJesus

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]'He can be our Randle El'[/b][/size]
By GEOFF HOBSON
April 30, 2006

Posted: 4:40 p.m.

McNeal is excited to see what he can do in Bengals stripes. (Getty Images)
Texas A&M’s Reggie McNeal, one of the most explosive college quarterbacks in the nation, is going to try and make the transition to wide receiver after the Bengals took him in the sixth round.

“He can be our Randle El,” said head coach Marvin Lewis of the former Steelers wide receiver who threw a touchdown pass in the last Super Bowl.

The 6-2, 210-pound McNeal, who ran a sub 4.4-second 40-yard dash at the scouting combine, worked out for only the Dolphins and Cowboys as a wideout before the draft. But the Bengals liked his attitude about the switch a few weeks ago when he came in for a visit at Paul Brown Stadium.

“I’ve seen some of those cats, like Randle El and Kordell Stewart do that,” said McNeal of the multi-threat weapons. “I’m going to try and do it better.

“I feel like I’ve been blessed this far. Whichever way I fit, that’s what I’m going to have to do. I’m going to give 110 percent at whatever position I get on.”

McNeal, who last lined up as a receiver as a high school freshman, says he’ll be willing to return kicks as well as covering them, but he’s not so sure about returning punts.

“If he makes (the team),” said offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowkski, “it will be as an athlete.”

[b]FIFTH ROUND:[/b] At 6-1 and nearly 250 pounds, Florida State’s A.J. Nicholson is the biggest linebacker the Bengals have drafted in the Marvin Lewis era when they took him Sunday with the 157th pick.

Whether that means another block on the road to being a more multiple defense with more 3-4 looks remains to be seen.

But one thing is for sure. Nicholson was the most excited fifth-rounder linebackers coach Ricky Hunley had ever spoken to when informed he was coming to Cincinnati. Indications are Nicholson steps in to back up Odell Thurman at middle linebacker.

“I’m going to Cincinnati with a purpose and that purpose is to domimate and help my team win a Super Bowl,” Nicholson said.

That may have been pure relief as he waited for the call. He carries even more weight into Cincinnati with some serious off-field issues hanging over his head that took him off at least three team draft boards entirely.

With the pick coming less than a week after Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said character would be a point of emphasis in this draft, they must have had a high comfort level.

Nicholson indicated that an incident before the Seminoles’ Orange Bowl appearance late last year in which a woman made allegations of sexual assault against him at Miami’s Westin Diplomat Resort & Spa has been resolved.

After he was selected Sunday, Nicholson admitted he had a “young woman in my room and I shouldn’t have,” and for that he was sent home for violating team rules. “That’s exactly what happened."

Nicholson insisted the case has been resolved and said another incident last June in which he was subdued with a Taser and placed under arrest was a case of mistaken identity. Nicholson had allegedly fled when officers at a club had attempted to eject him following an incident involving "disorderly conduct and drinking violations,' according to a Tallahassee, Fla. paper.'

Published reports also said in January of 2005 he was charged with a DUI.

“We talked to A.J., we talked to A.J.’s coaches. A lot of things happen, but the clarification never gets out. But all those questions have been clarified,” Hunley said. “Young kids take risks. I think that’s why he’s so thankful (to be drafted after) putting himself in a bad light when he was younger.”

Although Nicholson is pencilled in for the middle, he played primarily outside at Florida State and was very productive in racking up more than 300 tackles the past two seasons despite being clocked in the 4.8-second range in the 40-yard dash.

"I can play either. I need to go in, learn my playbook, learn the system, and I’m going to pick it up," he said. "It really doesn’t matter which linebacker position I play, as long as I can get on the field and help my team out. I just want to contribute and help my team win a Super Bowl. That’s the big thing — a Super Bowl. We’re in this business to win, and I’m a winner. I’m going to go out there and play my heart out.”

Nicholson's father was drafted by the Giants in 1982 and said his advice has been simple: "You go somewhere, you better have a purpose, or someone will have a purpose for you."

Even as he answered the character questions for the umpteenth time, Nicholson's mood couldn't be darkened.

“I kept faith, and when the Bengals called, I was so happy," he said. "I was upset yesterday, but today I was rejuvenated. I told myself I was going to wait until somebody called me because I know someone would want me. When Cincinnati called me, I was so excited. I’m ready to put on my helmet and shoulder pads now.”[/quote]

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5230"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5230[/url]

[quote name='Coy Bacon' post='260437' date='Apr 30 2006, 04:59 PM']What a draft! So far, a 1st rounder, a 3rd rounder, four 6th rounders and an undrafted free agent to show for it. The Bengals don't need a slash type guy and McNeal is said to be fighting the switch from QB tooth and nail - what a waste.

Who are they going to kick off the team to make room for Ethan Kilmer-Walter-Myles? They need to keep all the legitimate receivers they can, because you never have enough of those. Kaesviharn is overextended as a starter, but he's a reliable role player, and if you're going to get rid of him, you want some options that give you real depth at safety, at which the Bengals only have question marks at best beyond the starters. Anthony Mitchell gets touted as a special teams staple, but he sucks as a safety - always a step late. Herana-Daze Jones can pack a wallop and Bua has shown the ability to blow people up. The corners need to get sorted out so you keep as many legitimate cover guys as you can. The Bengals' depth is too suspect in too many areas for this to look like more than a waste of a pick, like so many of the others.[/quote]

'He can be our Randle El'
By GEOFF HOBSON
April 30, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MORE DRAFT NEWS: Bengals Draft Central 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted: 4:40 p.m.

McNeal is excited to see what he can do in Bengals stripes. (Getty Images)
Texas A&M’s Reggie McNeal, one of the most explosive college quarterbacks in the nation, is going to try and make the transition to wide receiver after the Bengals took him in the sixth round.

“He can be our Randle El,” said head coach Marvin Lewis of the former Steelers wide receiver who threw a touchdown pass in the last Super Bowl.

The 6-2, 210-pound McNeal, who ran a sub 4.4-second 40-yard dash at the scouting combine, worked out for only the Dolphins and Cowboys as a wideout before the draft. But the Bengals liked his attitude about the switch a few weeks ago when he came in for a visit at Paul Brown Stadium.

[b]“I’ve seen some of those cats, like Randle El and Kordell Stewart do that,” said McNeal of the multi-threat weapons. “I’m going to try and do it better.

“I feel like I’ve been blessed this far. Whichever way I fit, that’s what I’m going to have to do. I’m going to give 110 percent at whatever position I get on.” [/b]

McNeal, who last lined up as a receiver as a high school freshman, says he’ll be willing to return kicks as well as covering them, but he’s not so sure about returning punts.

“If he makes (the team),” said offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowkski, “it will be as an athlete.”

FIFTH ROUND: At 6-1 and nearly 250 pounds, Florida State’s A.J. Nicholson is the biggest linebacker the Bengals have drafted in the Marvin Lewis era when they took him Sunday with the 157th pick.

Whether that means another block on the road to being a more multiple defense with more 3-4 looks remains to be seen.

But one thing is for sure. Nicholson was the most excited fifth-rounder linebackers coach Ricky Hunley had ever spoken to when informed he was coming to Cincinnati. Indications are Nicholson steps in to back up Odell Thurman at middle linebacker.

“I’m going to Cincinnati with a purpose and that purpose is to domimate and help my team win a Super Bowl,” Nicholson said.

That may have been pure relief as he waited for the call. He carries even more weight into Cincinnati with some serious off-field issues hanging over his head that took him off at least three team draft boards entirely.

With the pick coming less than a week after Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said character would be a point of emphasis in this draft, they must have had a high comfort level.

Nicholson indicated that an incident before the Seminoles’ Orange Bowl appearance late last year in which a woman made allegations of sexual assault against him at Miami’s Westin Diplomat Resort & Spa has been resolved.

After he was selected Sunday, Nicholson admitted he had a “young woman in my room and I shouldn’t have,” and for that he was sent home for violating team rules. “That’s exactly what happened."

Nicholson insisted the case has been resolved and said another incident last June in which he was subdued with a Taser and placed under arrest was a case of mistaken identity. Nicholson had allegedly fled when officers at a club had attempted to eject him following an incident involving "disorderly conduct and drinking violations,' according to a Tallahassee, Fla. paper.'

Published reports also said in January of 2005 he was charged with a DUI.

“We talked to A.J., we talked to A.J.’s coaches. A lot of things happen, but the clarification never gets out. But all those questions have been clarified,” Hunley said. “Young kids take risks. I think that’s why he’s so thankful (to be drafted after) putting himself in a bad light when he was younger.”

Although Nicholson is pencilled in for the middle, he played primarily outside at Florida State and was very productive in racking up more than 300 tackles the past two seasons despite being clocked in the 4.8-second range in the 40-yard dash.

"I can play either. I need to go in, learn my playbook, learn the system, and I’m going to pick it up," he said. "It really doesn’t matter which linebacker position I play, as long as I can get on the field and help my team out. I just want to contribute and help my team win a Super Bowl. That’s the big thing — a Super Bowl. We’re in this business to win, and I’m a winner. I’m going to go out there and play my heart out.”

Nicholson's father was drafted by the Giants in 1982 and said his advice has been simple: "You go somewhere, you better have a purpose, or someone will have a purpose for you."

Even as he answered the character questions for the umpteenth time, Nicholson's mood couldn't be darkened.

“I kept faith, and when the Bengals called, I was so happy," he said. "I was upset yesterday, but today I was rejuvenated. I told myself I was going to wait until somebody called me because I know someone would want me. When Cincinnati called me, I was so excited. I’m ready to put on my helmet and shoulder pads now.”

Guest BlackJesus
[center][img]http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/4446/bv1jy.jpg[/img]

[size=3][i]"My agent tells me I might be fighting some "Timmmaay" for a roster spot" [/i] [/size] [/center]

Guest starkesn
[quote name='Francisco d'Anconia' post='260455' date='Apr 30 2006, 04:08 PM'][size=2]doesn this pick have to be Tim Massaquoi??[/size]

[size=2]BENNY BRAZIL[/size][/quote]

I'd go with Tim Day.

The final pick is coming up........ So who do we take? We NEED a tight end and safety depth.

Possibilities:
DE Eric Henderson, Georgia Tech - Can never have enough depth at DE
DE/OLB Stanley McClover, Auburn - A gifted athlete in the Pollack mold
S Greg Threat, Miami FL - Very unexperienced but has a ton of talent
TE Tim Day, Oregon - Maybe he shot a cop or something?
TE Cooper Wallace, Auburn - Decent receiver, great blocker and character
OLB Spencer Havner, UCLA - Ultra productive in college, maybe he shot a cop too?

[quote name='Coy Bacon' post='260437' date='Apr 30 2006, 04:59 PM']What a draft! So far, a 1st rounder, a 3rd rounder, four 6th rounders and an undrafted free agent to show for it. The Bengals don't need a slash type guy and McNeal is said to be fighting the switch from QB tooth and nail - what a waste.

Who are they going to kick off the team to make room for Ethan Kilmer-Walter-Myles? They need to keep all the legitimate receivers they can, because you never have enough of those. Kaesviharn is overextended as a starter, but he's a reliable role player, and if you're going to get rid of him, you want some options that give you real depth at safety, at which the Bengals only have question marks at best beyond the starters. Anthony Mitchell gets touted as a special teams staple, but he sucks as a safety - always a step late. Herana-Daze Jones can pack a wallop and Bua has shown the ability to blow people up. The corners need to get sorted out so you keep as many legitimate cover guys as you can. The Bengals' depth is too suspect in too many areas for this to look like more than a waste of a pick, like so many of the others.[/quote]

Is that you Own? :unsure:

Archived