Soccer Thread

[quote name='#40' post='304349' date='Jul 29 2006, 06:45 PM']What position do you play? I haven't played football in like 4 years.[/quote]

Well my coach had my at attacking midfielder and well my vision and touch aren't the greatest and i tend to do stupid stuff when pressured and then i moved to left forward so i could use my speed and my foot...because i still am a little raw with vision and touch...nothing a second year can't fix because i was out of it for a long while wanting to be a football playing hardass but soon came to find out soccer is pretty fucking physical...i was trying to get a pass down the line today and this kid would not get off me so i threw him down and the ref instantly took me out...and the kid was like wait till next time ill break your arm i said to him try it i just threw your ass down with ease and the kid never went back in.

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='304388' date='Jul 29 2006, 07:34 PM']congrats!

ohio cup... is that the preseason hs tourny in dayton?

i cant remember anything anymore[/quote]
Thanks...yah its in Mason not to far from dayton...it was hot as hell today too. I was wondering if anyone was there with maybe a kid playing but then again i thought...training camp is starting..yeah right.

[quote name='JC' post='304394' date='Jul 29 2006, 07:42 PM']Well my coach had my at attacking midfielder and well my vision and touch aren't the greatest and i tend to do stupid stuff when pressured and then i moved to left forward so i could use my speed and my foot...because i still am a little raw with vision and touch...nothing a second year can't fix because i was out of it for a long while wanting to be a football playing hardass but soon came to find out soccer is pretty fucking physical...i was trying to get a pass down the line today and this kid would not get off me so i threw him down and the ref instantly took me out...and the kid was like wait till next time ill break your arm i said to him try it i just threw your ass down with ease and the kid never went back in.[/quote]

K00l dud3,

but seriously, I miss playing football (soccer), you play LM, nice. I played CAM, it was fun, I miss teh gUd ole d3ys.

:(

:ninja:

[quote name='#40' post='304395' date='Jul 29 2006, 07:46 PM']K00l dud3,

but seriously, I miss playing football (soccer), you play LM, nice. I played CAM, it was fun, I miss teh gUd ole d3ys.
:(
:ninja:[/quote]
haha...it truely is a beautiful sport...and it never gets old...well besides the conditioning part...but never the less i won't ever stop and hopefully i can get somewhere medium sized on it as i keep working on my game.

[quote name='JC' post='304415' date='Jul 29 2006, 08:19 PM']haha...it truely is a beautiful sport...and it never gets old...well besides the conditioning part...but never the less i won't ever stop and hopefully i can get somewhere medium sized on it as i keep working on my game.[/quote]

Reminds me of something, Barca's coming,(to America) , do you have any plans to go? I was thinking of going to Houston, but the plan didn't work out.

Fuck :(

[quote name='#40' post='304417' date='Jul 29 2006, 08:25 PM']Reminds me of something, Barca's coming,(to America) , do you have any plans to go? I was thinking of going to Houston, but the plan didn't work out.

Fuck :([/quote]
haha sadly i doubt it...my parents wouldn't go for it...so im stuck to watching the old tube and praying Barca comes on...i wish though.

What are your fav stadiums?

I think Estadio da Luz is a great stadium.

[img]http://www.in.gr/news/Reviews/Review534204/assets/Luz.jpg[/img]

Santiago Bernabeu

[img]http://www.xtec.cat/ceip-elsllorers/imatges/madrid/santiago-bernabeu-02.jpg[/img]

Stamford Bridge

[img]http://www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/takebou/img_0675.JPG[/img]

Amsterdam Arena

[img]http://www.adcsoft.com/userspictures/travel.amsterdamarena.jpg[/img]

Millenium Stadium

[img]http://www.sportsvenue-technology.com/projects/cardiff/images/millennium_stadium6.jpg[/img]

Camp Nou

[img]http://pawlik.fanfatal.pl/wp-content/uploads/2006/03/noucamp0002.jpg[/img]

San Siro

[img]http://www.car-rouge.ch/jmuffin/upload/San%20Siro.jpg[/img]

Just a few of my fav stadiums. What are yours?

So day 3 of the ohio cup.

It sucked just to start it off.

We played a team that we were faster and better then and well we lost 2-1...we kind of had a half time melt down players bitching about not enough passing and just well bitching about me wanting to many through balls even though i could have beat that sweep in any type of race there was...so that gets us going into the next game.(also this team had about 3 chicks which had no value at all...i just thought i would throw that out there...which again killed the morale of our team and they hadn't won a game yet until then.)

We play a team with 25-30 kids on it...pretty fucking rediculous while we had 3 subs...because various kids didn't go and 2 quality players were out of town...and this was our fifth game of playing in three days in around 90-100 degree weather which was also pretty shitty to play 60 minutes in. I saw this tall black guy and this son of a bitch looked just like Ronaldinho..i was in awe because ronaldinho is my fucking hero...but this fellow played stopper right next to me...and was pretty quick but not as quick as me but they had plenty of help from there sweeper who played pretty deep...which made it easier for me to make some type of runs but had to be more of a i have to beat you to get to the goalie type or deal and i did it 2-3 times but the center mid who was quite a bitch throughout the tournament wanted me to take more check too's and i did do quite a bit but i kind of fold under pressure because my vision isn't the sharpest and i don't no where everyone is on the field...none the less i beat ronaldinho to the ball about every single time but had no real support to get the ball out to because the wings had to be damn tired because we had about a hour break between games and all they do is run up and down the wing and we had 3 subs compared to there 15-20 and only 1 of the subs could actually come in and play offense the other one was a freshman who probably has never played in his life and a backup goalie...so we basically got drilled 4-0 but it was by the best team in the tourny because another team dropped out before which would have been the worse team so we probably tied for last or got last...which i don't think is horrible because of the lack of players we had and the amount of games and heat there was.

But then this was the bad part...coach was pissed after this game because of getting beat this game so he had us run sprints in this weather after the game and said that, that would only be a small portion of tonights conditioning.

Thats all of the ohio cup...i will have more updates of the season as it comes around.

[quote name='JC' post='305511' date='Jul 31 2006, 11:44 AM']So day 3 of the ohio cup.
It sucked just to start it off.
We played a team that we were faster and better then and well we lost 2-1...we kind of had a half time melt down players bitching about not enough passing and just well bitching about me wanting to many through balls even though i could have beat that sweep in any type of race there was...so that gets us going into the next game.(also this team had about 3 chicks which had no value at all...i just thought i would throw that out there...which again killed the morale of our team and they hadn't won a game yet until then.)

We play a team with 25-30 kids on it...pretty fucking rediculous while we had 3 subs...because various kids didn't go and 2 quality players were out of town...and this was our fifth game of playing in three days in around 90-100 degree weather which was also pretty shitty to play 60 minutes in. I saw this tall black guy and this son of a bitch looked just like Ronaldinho..i was in awe because ronaldinho is my fucking hero...but this fellow played stopper right next to me...and was pretty quick but not as quick as me but they had plenty of help from there sweeper who played pretty deep...which made it easier for me to make some type of runs but had to be more of a i have to beat you to get to the goalie type or deal and i did it 2-3 times but the center mid who was quite a bitch throughout the tournament wanted me to take more check too's and i did do quite a bit but i kind of fold under pressure because my vision isn't the sharpest and i don't no where everyone is on the field...none the less i beat ronaldinho to the ball about every single time but had no real support to get the ball out to because the wings had to be damn tired because we had about a hour break between games and all they do is run up and down the wing and we had 3 subs compared to there 15-20 and only 1 of the subs could actually come in and play offense the other one was a freshman who probably has never played in his life and a backup goalie...so we basically got drilled 4-0 but it was by the best team in the tourny because another team dropped out before which would have been the worse team so we probably tied for last or got last...which i don't think is horrible because of the lack of players we had and the amount of games and heat there was.

But then this was the bad part...coach was pissed after this game because of getting beat this game so he had us run sprints in this weather after the game and said that, that would only be a small portion of tonights conditioning.

Thats all of the ohio cup...i will have more updates of the season as it comes around.[/quote]

Funny how you kept calling him Ronaldinho. :lol:

Sounds like you have a bad keeper (jk). I'd be your teams keeper. I'm just as good as Buffon. :ninja: . (never played keeper)

I know how it feels to lose, worst feeling ever. You guys play 60 mins. :huh: . We had to play a full 90 when I was playing football.(not here).

Goalie situation is pretty shitty :lol: . We lost our best keeper probably in history last year and he only played one year of soccer but was a total athletic freak now we have a overweight son of a bitch that lets balls run through his legs. But he did have some good saves and also blocked a PK which suprised the fuck out of me.

But in the ohio cup that play 30 minute halfs..in high school we do 40 minutes.

and well i was given the honor of being the teams captain this year and well starting off 1-4 in preseason as the team captain doesn't feel well...we will be a lot better this season...i will make sure of that.

[quote name='JC' post='305526' date='Jul 31 2006, 12:00 PM']Goalie situation is pretty shitty :lol: . We lost our best keeper probably in history last year and he only played one year of soccer but was a total athletic freak now we have a overweight son of a bitch that lets balls run through his legs. But he did have some good saves and also blocked a PK which suprised the fuck out of me.

But in the ohio cup that play 30 minute halfs..in high school we do 40 minutes.

and well i was given the honor of being the teams captain this year and well starting off 1-4 in preseason as the team captain doesn't feel well...we will be a lot better this season...i will make sure of that.[/quote]

How long have you been playing? (think you mentioned it before) :huh:

[quote name='#40' post='305585' date='Jul 31 2006, 01:00 PM']How long have you been playing? (think you mentioned it before) :huh:[/quote]
Well i played when i was little i played indoor probably in kindergarden somewhere young and probably played it about 3-4 more years rotating in and out with football...then 6,7and 8th i played football mainly because we didn't have a jr. high soccer team...and then i started up as a freshman last year and this is basically my second year of real competitive soccer.

HOLY SHIT, WTF?!?!?!?!

[url="http://www.chelseafc.com/article.asp?hlid=407740&m=8&y=2006&nav=news&sub=latest+news"]http://www.chelseafc.com/article.asp?hlid=...sub=latest+news[/url]

[u]Chelsea legend Charlie Cooke who now lives in Cincinnati in the USA[/u] is being flown to Chicago by the club to join up with the team and be a host to the Premier League trophy which is out here with them.

The squad has just flown from Los Angeles to Chicago, landing at 9pm Thursday local time. On Friday at 5.30pm the team is at the Toyota Stadium — which it opens on Saturday before a capacity crowd — and several thousand people are expected to turn out to welcome them.

The Premier League trophy will also be there and Charlie Cooke, 373 games, 30 goals, an FA Cup and a European Cup Winners’ Cup winner, will be with it, talking to Americans and Chelsea fans and telling them about our club.

On Saturday before the game against MLS All-Stars he and the trophy will be at the front of the stadium, showing off our silverware.

Charlie Cooke and his former captain and colleague Ron Harris carried the Premier League trophy to the presentation stand at Stamford Bridge in April after victory over Manchester United so that the winners’ medals and trophy could be handed over to the players.

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='308645' date='Aug 4 2006, 08:38 AM']could chd, any canadian, or anyone else in the know give me some insight on toronto fc?

whats the support like, predictions, etc?[/quote]

I think support will be very decent. As they've done a good keeping ticket prices, under control, which is surprising, as the guys who own them are Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment (MLSE)

MLSE are known for operating sports franchises with one aim. To make money (In part because they are majority owned by the Ontario Teacher's, sort of like huge investment / pension fund company) If quality on the team has to be sacrificed to do so, they will do it.
Anyhoo, so somewhere down the line, I think MLSE will gauge the support for the game here and factor in their pricing accordingly.

Until then, support will be very good. Toronto has a HUGE Italian and Portugese community, who I think will form the majority of the crowd. I think average crowds of 14-18k is easy. (stadium holds 20k) MLSE have deep pockets and they'll take a hit on the first year, just to reel crowds in later. So I think there will be a lot of ticket hand outs etc.

also, interest is currently piqued right now because Toronto hosts the FIFA World Youth Cup next year.

The team itself has to do well in a few years though. Toronto crowds are really fickle (except for leafs fans who will always support the team) Lack of success means crowds can dry up quick.

But crowd wise, the team will do well...Toronto has a huge immigrant community, hence interest in soccer is high.

Question for you please as well, as you follow the US national team. West Ham signed Jonathon Spector from Man Utd. I know he's young, apparently talented, but coming off injuries. Is he a good talent and good defender?

[quote name='Chris Henrys Dealer' post='308663' date='Aug 4 2006, 09:28 AM']Question for you please as well, as you follow the US national team. West Ham signed Jonathon Spector from Man Utd. I know he's young, apparently talented, but coming off injuries. Is he a good talent and good defender?[/quote]
is he on loan or did they pick up his contract? ...i just noticed this a month ago (or so) on yanksabroad.com and didnt really understand it.

i cant stress enough the potential in this kid, he should be a usmnt starter soon and come into his own as an elite talent by the time the next wc rolls around ...by the way, heres hoping that sa fucks up and the us gets it by default.

if west ham, or any other european club, were smart they would look closely at clint dempsey and eddie johnson, both are (relatively) young, budding stars, and they both could be bought from the mls for (relatively) nothing.

Thanks, that's good to hear, and it somewhat echoes stuff that I read on some hardcore Man Utd boards, where supporters said he had talent, but just got caught up in a numbers game.

West Ham paid 500,000 pounds for him. Took him full time. Good bit of business for someone who should be an international in a few years.

I read somewhere that if Spector was healthy, he would have replaced Onyewu in the starting line up for the WC?

Does he play Centreback or on the flanks? West Ham'style of play means we rely a lot on our left / right backs to come up and provide crosses in. On one side Konchesky is good going forward, but weak defensively. While, the right side is a problem..we signed some highly rated young guys, but if Spector can play on the right, and provide crosses in, that job would be his, altough Tyrone Mears another signing is also going to be given a chance ther.e

Dempsey would be interesting, as you can never have enough quality midfielders, unfortunately (or fortunately?) West Ham have a log jam at the Forward spot with Ashton (this kid will be awesome this year) Harewood, Zamora, Cole, Sheringham, so I couldn't seem them getting another one.

ha! looky what ive found...

[url="http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=68023"]http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=68023[/url]

from socceramerica.com, Web site of magazine Soccer America:

DEMPSEY DENIED. According to sources, an offer of $2 million from English Premier League club Charlton for New England's Clint Dempsey has been turned down by MLS. Rival club West Ham United, which paid Manchester United 500,000 pounds ($938,000) for American defender Jonathan Spector in June, was also interested but apparently has yet to tender an offer.

ill be frank with you, you guys pick up duece and ill consider myself an official hammers fan.

[quote name='Chris Henrys Dealer' post='308686' date='Aug 4 2006, 10:35 AM']Yeah, we've been rumoured to be after him. Another guy, who's name keeps popping up is Carlos Bocanegra, who's with Fullham and a US international as well I think.[/quote]
not the prospect spector is(especially sine hes older), but definite quality, as well.

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='310071' date='Aug 5 2006, 09:47 PM']DE-RO BITCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]
I wish that guy was american.

He could come in and play for america in the WC couldn't he...i remeber someone from Italy did that.

Archived