Soccer Thread

[quote name='JC' post='503326' date='Jun 22 2007, 09:30 PM']Barca is going to be nasty. I imagine Eto'o might not stick around for to long...but Dinho and Henry will be sick.[/quote]

Yeah, cant forget about Messi who is something else. Looks deadly. Henrys' move this summer looked almost sure but it really really sucks seeing him go after everything. It's gonna be different to say the least seeing the Gunners next year knowing that Henry wont step on the pitch, but it goes on.

[quote name='#40' post='503373' date='Jun 23 2007, 01:47 AM']Yeah, cant forget about Messi who is something else. Looks deadly. Henrys' move this summer looked almost sure but it really really sucks seeing him go after everything. It's gonna be different to say the least seeing the Gunners next year knowing that Henry wont step on the pitch, but it goes on.[/quote]

I got the feeling he was leaving when Dein shook things up by quitting, especially since it seemed like he was going to give them one more chance to be competitive by staying last year, and the team never gelled as expected.

Barcelona will likely be a spectacle next year. Ronaldinho sucked (by his standards) for the majority of this year, probably due to his extreme schedule of La Liga + Champions League + World Cup with no real break. Eto'o is good and fundamentally-solid, but Henry is an upgrade over anybody.

Messi is a little cunt, though; a cheating rat just like Maradonalds. Did any of you see him rolling around on the ground like an episode of Power Rangers against Chelsea in the CL? Or his 'hand of god' bullshit blatant handball for a goal? I hope injuries wreck his career.

I wonder whom Arsenal will recruit with the cash, or maybe it will all go to paying off the Emirates. Anyways there's no telling what Wenger can do with a fat stack of cash.

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='503383' date='Jun 23 2007, 02:56 AM']I wonder whom Arsenal will recruit with the cash, or maybe it will all go to paying off the Emirates. Anyways there's no telling what Wenger can do with a fat stack of cash.[/quote]

Definetly. Ryan Babel wouldn't be too shabby.

[quote name='JC' post='503220' date='Jun 22 2007, 03:07 PM']Do you not think he is that good? From what i have seen when he has played, he has been aggressive and hasn't made any huge mistakes..pretty good passer and pretty calm. I thought it has been a pretty good upgrade over Reyna from the last games he played as a U.S. player. And that was a pretty smart to stop that about to happen break away in the last few minutes..

But against teams like this he could look pretty good anyways?
Edit: They announced Henry is going to Barca. Nasty.[/quote]
honestly, no... he will be good, but as of right now i fear his pt is being maximized simply because of nepotism. theres several other players id rather see in his spot for the gold cup. i know bob is simply trying to get him more experience but id rather see him more involved in meaningless friendlies and higher level competitions overseas before throwing him into the mix in our regional championship (as shitty as it may be).

also, im fairly pissed we are sending a b-/c+ team to copa america. i wasnt expecting our "a" squad to be fielded but anything more than a slight drop off from that is an embarrassment. im sure the experience will help the younger guys hoping to make the '10 wc squad but theyll have plenty more opportunities for that. bob should have fielded a more competitive squad rather than throwing these boys into the fire so soon. experience is one thing, embarrassment is another.

i just fear bob is doing some risky shit in hopes of getting this squad to peak for the '10 wc.

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='503446' date='Jun 23 2007, 05:51 PM']i just fear bob is doing some risky shit in hopes of getting this squad to peak for the '10 wc.[/quote]
It's less than easy to follow US soccer from here, so I'm trusting your analysis.... but as for your comment above, is there anything else to play for, really?

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='503490' date='Jun 23 2007, 03:17 PM']It's less than easy to follow US soccer from here, so I'm trusting your analysis.... but as for your comment above, is there anything else to play for, really?[/quote]
id say the copa america is, and defending your regional championship should be every teams goal

heres the copa america roster along with each players senion caps and why im so pissed

G:
Brad Guzan - 1
Kasey Keller - 100
D:
Jonathan Bornstein - 7
Bobby Boswell - 2
Dan Califf - 14
Jimmy Conrad - 21
Jay DeMerit - 3
Drew Moor - 0
Heath Pearce - 6
Marvell Wynne - 0
M:
Kyle Beckerman - 1
Ricardo Clark - 6
Benny Feilhaber - 7
Eddie Gaven - 3
Sacha Kljestan - 1
Justin Mapp - 5
Lee Nguyen - 1
Ben Olsen - 34
F:
Charlie Davies - 1
Herculez Gomez - 0
Eddie Johnson - 26
Taylor Twellman - 24

theres definitely some talent in there, but the combination of inexperienced youngsters and has beens/never was is scary, to say the least

I thought i remembered Adu playing some friendlies last year. Why wouldn't they throw him in with some of the younger guys now...

Is he to involved in MLS right now?

[quote name='JC' post='503530' date='Jun 23 2007, 06:29 PM']I thought i remembered Adu playing some friendlies last year. Why wouldn't they throw him in with some of the younger guys now...
Is he to involved in MLS right now?[/quote]hes out winning the u20 wc with jozy

video of bennys sick ass goal for those who havnt seen it yet...

That goal was so sick. Thats one of the best hits i have seen. It was like one Argentina had last year in the WC. Someone else had a nice strike...but went wide of the goal...it looked like it bounced in..i jumped up only to realize it hadn't gone in.

I saw Sanchez blow Lando a kiss before the PK...i thought that was kinda gay.

Dempsey didn't play well today. I imagine he was pretty upset with himself. Twellman didn't play much better then deuce either.

Beaze was alright. Bocanegra was a monster today. Gooch just kinda stuck his foot out to try to stop the ball today...didn't seem very aggressive. Ching isn't as good as EJ. EJ should have went in instead of twell. We have a nice assortment of young mid's.

Timmy Howard thats all that needs to be said.

And it was nice to see Lando score another one against Sanchez right before he goes out. Assuming the guys on TV were right about him leaving.

But its nice to see us dominate mexico once again. It will be interesting to see how some of the younger guys fair against some of the good south american teams.

MOTHERFUCKING GOAL EDDIE MOTHERFUCKING JOHNSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8TH MINUTE GOAL AGAINST ARGENTINA IN THE COPA AMERICA FROM A PK AS THE CROWD CHANT ESADIOS UNIDOS OR HOWEVER YOU SPELL IT

fuck, and then crespo evens it off of a shitty rebound... 1-1 12th minute

• 2 weeks later...
ok, so the usa "c" team sucked a load of cock down at the copa america as i predicted, however... the u20s are doing great up in canada, also as expected. they won their group beating the likes of brazil and poland and won their first round and are moving on to beat/face austria. adu has played magnificent and jozy, zizzo, seitz, etc. have all played amazing as well. they are certainly not playing as good as they can as a team but they are at least playing well enough to get the job done. there are some excellent highlights and spectacular moves from adu (which i will post later on) and i think it is now safe to say he will be receiving a nice little contract within a years time to either a epl, la liga, or serie a side.

in todays beckham news, the official news conference/announcement for his arrival to the team is slated to be tomorrow at 1est on lagalaxy.com and hdnet and a bunch of other channels i dont have. according to many reports well over 250k jerseys have all ready been sold and he has all ready paid for his new contract in full. the galaxys new jerseys dont actually look half bad once you discount the similarities to real and he is also on the cover of this weeks sports illustrated. its just too bad hes going to a near last place team. however, if i had to bet money id say they will be turnign it around here shortly and will be a near lock for the playoffs.

boom

[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/jrod9927/YicAaC5D.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/jrod9927/0716_large.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='510148' date='Jul 12 2007, 06:10 PM']ok, so the usa "c" team sucked a load of cock down at the copa america as i predicted, however... the u20s are doing great up in canada, also as expected. they won their group beating the likes of brazil and poland and won their first round and are moving on to beat/face austria. adu has played magnificent and jozy, zizzo, seitz, etc. have all played amazing as well. they are certainly not playing as good as they can as a team but they are at least playing well enough to get the job done. there are some excellent highlights and spectacular moves from adu (which i will post later on) and i think it is now safe to say he will be receiving a nice little contract within a years time to either a epl, la liga, or serie a side.

in todays beckham news, the official news conference/announcement for his arrival to the team is slated to be tomorrow at 1est on lagalaxy.com and hdnet and a bunch of other channels i dont have. according to many reports well over 250k jerseys have all ready been sold and he has all ready paid for his new contract in full. the galaxys new jerseys dont actually look half bad once you discount the similarities to real and he is also on the cover of this weeks sports illustrated. its just too bad hes going to a near last place team. however, if i had to bet money id say they will be turnign it around here shortly and will be a near lock for the playoffs.

boom[/quote]

I think i heard on ESPN2 they might be showing the broadcast? I could be wrong.

in todays mls news...

its almost official, the quakes will be back next year bringing the total number of teams in the mls to 14 out of the 16 franchises promised by 2010. they will probably build their new stadium near the san jose airport and will play next season all over the damn place

[url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jonah_freedman/07/17/quakes.return/index.html"]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writ...turn/index.html[/url]

-in todays online chat commissioner don garber basically said that he has some things up his sleeve for the state of mls announcement at halftime at tomorrows all star game. im sure it will revolve around an additional designated player spot, an increased salary cap, possibly higher developmental contracts, extended youth programs, and just how in the hell they plan on narrowing down a field of 8 or so realistic competing cities to two franchises. my bet is that hell announce the quakes and up to two more (either ny, st louis, or vegas, and either protland or seattle) and then state that they will be looking to add 2 to 4 more locations by 2012 (portland, seattle, new york #2, las vegas, vancouver, st louis, philly, milwalkee, etc.). portland or seattle, whichever one is decided upon will probably put together by purchasing their usl teams (the timbers and sounders) and having a fire sale in order to keep their names and traditions.

-beckham may not be able to go on saturday against chelsea because his ankle swelled up from the trip from london to la, although my guess is hell just get some pain and anti-inflammatory injections pregame

-tonight la faces off against tigres and chelsea faces off against suwon, the all star game against celtic is tommorrow

-word on the street is that eddie johnson nixed the deal with derby county for $6 mill because he didnt want to fight off regulation. i actually think this was a good idea.

-fabio capello, yes.. that fabio capello announced that he is entertaining offers from the states to coach over here. i hope he dies in a fiery plane crash where everyone else bales out with parachutes.

-and here are some images of the glorious new sss (soccer specific stadium) planned for the coming years in the mls.

ny
[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/jrod9927/rbp_aerial2.jpg[/img]
salt lake
[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/jrod9927/sandy_stadium_7_popup.jpg[/img]
kc
[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/jrod9927/kansas_city_wizards.jpg[/img]
chivas
[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/jrod9927/70.jpg[/img]
dc
[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/jrod9927/_w-hotel_nsm.jpg[/img]

Chivas stadium=sweeeeetttt.

and curious...when they add extra teams how do they get the players for that team? Is it kinda like the expansion draft they do in the nfl? anyways its pretty nice there adding on to the competition around here. Hopefully beck can bring some more big names over here.

[quote name='JC' post='512135' date='Jul 18 2007, 04:26 PM']Chivas stadium=sweeeeetttt.
and curious...when they add extra teams how do they get the players for that team? Is it kinda like the expansion draft they do in the nfl? anyways its pretty nice there adding on to the competition around here. Hopefully beck can bring some more big names over here.[/quote]

Like Edgar Davids and Luis Figo, for starters, but hopefully some younger players still in their prime as well.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Chris Henrys Dealer' post='503127' date='Jun 22 2007, 08:21 AM']Canada got hosed. The US defender headed it back, he basically played the Canadian striker onside. When the opposing team plays the ball that allows the other team a break, that can't be offside.

Diabolical refereeing...[/quote]
I've been watching the LA-Toronto game and that atmosphere is amazing. I thikn i remember you saying you have season tix. Any insight on some of the songs there singing and some of the signs about becks?

I watched Cristiano Ronaldo today in the community shield game..and the dude is sick. It took about 3 defenders just to stop him every time he got the ball.

[quote name='JC' post='521912' date='Aug 5 2007, 08:02 PM']I've been watching the LA-Toronto game and that atmosphere is amazing. I thikn i remember you saying you have season tix. Any insight on some of the songs there singing and some of the signs about becks?

I watched Cristiano Ronaldo today in the community shield game..and the dude is sick. It took about 3 defenders just to stop him every time he got the ball.[/quote]
redpatchboys.ca

usector.ca

[quote name='JC' post='521912' date='Aug 5 2007, 08:02 PM']I've been watching the LA-Toronto game and that atmosphere is amazing. I thikn i remember you saying you have season tix. Any insight on some of the songs there singing and some of the signs about becks?

I watched Cristiano Ronaldo today in the community shield game..and the dude is sick. It took about 3 defenders just to stop him every time he got the ball.[/quote]

I watched some of that game last night. The crowd were impressive until I read that the facility holds 20,000. Still, it's soccer, and I can think of several pro teams that don't get that many showing up to a game.

DC United is hosting the LA Galaxy Thursday, August 9th at RFK Stadium, and I read they will open up the upper deck to accommodate the crowd.

• 2 weeks later...
fucking a, kasey keller couldnt even get his 39 year old ass signed by a mls side willing to use a dp spot, but he somehow managed to get signed on by fulham. hes definitely solid and a complete upgrade from the shit fulhams had in goal so far this year but jesus, whats this say about the current state of affairs over at the cottage?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived