*** MATTHIAS ASKEW TAZED BY POLICE ***

[quote name='Rumble in the Jungle' post='299250' date='Jul 23 2006, 03:03 PM']i have to agree, we have the worst ever police force in cincinnati! their fucking assholes, and don't care.[/quote]
Why dont you try being a police officer if it is so easy!!! If people listen to the cops and try not to fight then they dont get beat up or shot.

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='Bengals1181' post='299262' date='Jul 23 2006, 03:08 PM']not moving your car does not make you a thug.[/quote]

Not moving your car when a cop tells you to does make you an asshole.

[quote name='Rumble in the Jungle' post='299175' date='Jul 23 2006, 12:04 PM']i bullshit yall not last night my boy gets a call while we were at work from another buddy of ours that a few bengals players were at party which he was at and there was like 5 bengal players looking for weed ! so i told my boy to hurry up and go up there and get them some before they go out looking for it and get arrested or something! we can't stop them from doing it, so i guess as mine as well sell the shit ourselfs ! not that i sell weed, or my friend but we figured we'll take one for the team type thing!

[b]by the way check out my new kick ass bengals jersey :thumbsup: [/b]
[b][url="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&item=250001341762&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1"]click here[/url][/b][/quote]

Why would any NFL player go to a random party looking for weed? Your friend probably just saw 5 big black dudes that claim to be Bengal players to pull ass or something. I would hope with the money and fame being an NFL player brings you'd have a solid hook-up and wouldn't need to go to the streets for your shit.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' post='299274' date='Jul 23 2006, 03:24 PM']I would hope with the money and fame being an NFL player brings you'd have a solid hook-up and wouldn't need to go to the streets for your shit.[/quote]

Henry and Thurman definitely have a solid hook-up. :thumbsup:

[quote name='Tigris' post='299206' date='Jul 23 2006, 01:24 PM']Oh yeah, I know... but this is definitely not as bad as the other incidents like the gun charges, spousal beatings, failed drug tests... the dude didn't want to move his damn car.

It'll be all over ESPNEWS shortly... talking about how our team is full of misfits who don't deserve to play in the NFL... and we'll miss the playoffs because of the off-the-field issues.

Out of all the guys who have got in trouble, only one of them was an every down player. Two of them aren't even on the team yet...

But yeah, I know what you're saying... but I think the media portrays our team to be worst than they really are. They don't mention guys like Madieu, Willie, Carson, and Marvin who make great contributions to the community.[/quote]

There is no other news in the NFL right now (no one is in camp). So, every thing a player does will be reported.

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='Rumble in the Jungle' post='299250' date='Jul 23 2006, 03:03 PM']i have to agree, we have the worst ever police force in cincinnati! their fucking assholes, and don't care.[/quote]

Stop blaming cops every time someone breaks the law and gets in trouble for it.

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5336"]bengals.com story[/url]

[quote][size=3][b]Askew in trouble on and off field [/b][/size]
By GEOFF HOBSON
July 23, 2006

2:40 p.m.

According to the NFL’s collective bargaining agreement teams can only cut players because of talent level, which is going to make training camp quite interesting when it opens Saturday night at Georgetown College in the wake of the Matthias Askew arrest.

Askew, a third-year defensive tackle perched on the bubble of the Bengals roster after an offseason of acquisitions, ran afoul of the law this weekend according to Cincinnati television broadcasts and The Associated Press.

The AP reports Askew was Tasered by Cincinnati police Saturday night and charged with resisting arrest after he illegally parked his car. He becomes the fourth Bengal to be charged with a crime since the end of last season.

The Bengals don't comment on arrests.

Head coach Marvin Lewis has already said that wide receiver Chris Henry, facing a suspension with four arrests since Dec. 15, has a battle to make the team. Plus, since he missed all of the spring camp recovering from his knee injury, he could miss the first six games of the season if the club decides to put him on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list. A suspension would cost him at least four more games.

Rookie linebacker A.J. Nicholson, facing grand theft and vandalism charges, also has to grind to make the team after the Bengals selected Virginia linebacker Ahmad Brooks in the third round of the supplemental draft.

Third-round pick Frostee Rucker, the defensive end from USC, is also looking at a vandalism charge as well as spousal battery.

The AP says when officers tried to handcuff Askew after he refused to move his car, they Tasered him when he broke away. Askew, who was also charged with obstructing official business, didn’t identify himself when asked, according to the AP, and has been released from custody before a Monday court date.

Askew, who left Michigan State a year early for the 2004 draft, has never realized the potential the Bengals hoped to tap when they took him as a project in the fourth round. Because of injuries and not impressing the coaches in practice, Askew has played in only a handful of games. He played in only one last year, the regular-season finale that the Bengals didn’t have to win to make the playoffs.

Now with the signing of three-time Pro Bowler Sam Adams, the emergence of Shaun Smith, and the drafting of another Michigan State tackle in the fourth round (Domata Peko), Askew already had a tough road to make the club.[/quote]

[quote name='Jungle1' post='299276' date='Jul 23 2006, 03:27 PM']There is no other news in the NFL right now (no one is in camp). So, every thing a player does will be reported.[/quote]

We need some Carolina cheerleaders to get caught "having sex" in a bathroom in order to distract the media/public.

:whistle:

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='ravonaf' post='299235' date='Jul 23 2006, 02:44 PM']It's become obvious that Marvin has lost complete control of this team. I'm not sure when it's happened but it has. If these players had any respect for him they just woudn't do what they are doing. These just aren't second string backups. These guys are the future starters of the franchise. At this point I don't care what the fuck Marvin does. This shit has to stop.[/quote]

It's definitely a slap in the face to Marvin. It's a bad reflection on him and what he's trying to do here, and it does show a lack of respect.

Without knowing specifics of all these incidents, I can't say that Marvin has lost complete control but it's definitely on him to put a stop to them. Even if that means cutting some promising players. It's not that the individual incidents themselves are that heinous, but collectively they can't be good for the team. Especially when people start missing practices and games because of them.

It's one thing for the team to get a reputation as badasses. It's another to be dumbasses.

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='299289' date='Jul 23 2006, 03:41 PM']Even if that means cutting some promising players.[/quote]

We literally can't cut them, not right now at least.

In Hobnob's words:

"According to the NFL's [new] collective bargaining agreement teams can only cut players because of talent level, which is going to make training camp quite interesting when it opens Saturday night at Georgetown College in the wake of the Matthias Askew arrest."

I'm interested in hearing what all the "anti-criminal" folks suggest we do. We can't cut any of our alleged criminals right now without getting slapped with a greviance by the NFLPA, and we don't want that. We could cut Askew later on and pass it off as being because of talent level, but that won't fly with Henry or Thurman. We could offer Rucker and Nicholson the rookie minimum, but Rucker hasn't even done anything since we drafted him; his alleged crime was committed last year, and they didn't press charges until after he was drafted (which casts a shadow of doubt over the entire affair, in my book).

So what do you guys who vehemently bitch about how Marvin is losing control of his team, how we are going to fail, and so on, suggest Marvin do about it? There isn't a whole hell of a lot that he CAN do.

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='TheChosenOne' post='299290' date='Jul 23 2006, 03:43 PM']We literally can't cut them, not right now at least.

In Hobnob's words:

"According to the NFL's [new] collective bargaining agreement teams can only cut players because of talent level, which is going to make training camp quite interesting when it opens Saturday night at Georgetown College in the wake of the Matthias Askew arrest."

I'm interested in hearing what all the "anti-criminal" folks suggest we do. We can't cut anybody right now. We could cut Askew later on and pass it off as being because of talent level, but that won't fly with Henry or Thurman. We could offer Rucker and Nicholson the rookie minimum, but Rucker hasn't even done anything since we drafted him; his alleged crime was committed last year, and they didn't press charges until after he was drafted (which casts a shadow of doubt over the entire affair, in my book).

So what do you guys who vehemently bitch about how Marvin is losing control of his team, we are going to fail, and so on, suggest Marvin do about it? There isn't a whole hell of a lot that he CAN do.[/quote]

This is a new rule with new CBA, right? Looks like Mike Brown was right to vote against it. This is going to burn more teams than just us. There are a lot more things that should be allowed to be considered than just talent level when building a team.

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='299292' date='Jul 23 2006, 03:54 PM']This is a new rule with new CBA, right? Looks like Mike Brown was right to vote against it. This is going to burn more teams than just us. There are a lot more things that should be allowed to be considered than just talent level when building a team.[/quote]

Yep. I don't think this was the only reason MB voted against the new CBA (he mainly went on about how it favored the big-market teams, but doesn't everything?) but it was a good one. The new CBA also invalidates the Pickens clause and all that stuff, and you can apparently only cut a player for talent-based reasons.

They should have tazed Odel Thurman and Chris Henry when they first fucked up too

maybe thats all the punishment these players need? a good stiff tazing every couple of months to keep em in line ;)

[quote name='Storm' post='299295' date='Jul 23 2006, 04:00 PM']They should have tazed Odel Thurman and Chris Henry when they first fucked up too
maybe thats all the punishment these players need? a good stiff tazing every couple of months to keep em in line ;)[/quote]

Well they did taze A.J. Nicholson. :D

Guest Claptonrocks
Personally I think Odell Thurman is going to be a bigger fuckup than Henry when its all said and done...
As for Askew.. dumbass wants to run from the law..why didnt he want to do that in practice...

Guest ThurmanMunster
[quote name='ravonaf' post='299258' date='Jul 23 2006, 03:06 PM']Even if that really happened. I don't care who the fuck you are. The cops tell you to move your vehicle you fucking move it. End of fucking story. Marvin takes these shitfuck thugs because he things he can control them. It's obvious he can't.[/quote]

wow, u should go post at steelernation cuz ur as annoying as them.

Askew has never done shit b4 and isnt a thug. And some cops can overreact on a situation because its a BIG black guy in an escalade with rims making him look like a thug or gangsta. Maybe askew said he would move it in a minute and the cop told him to move it now.

My grandpa was a plumber for Geiler and when he used to work downtown (in the 60s/70s) he pulled his Geiler truck to a no parking zone to unload it and the cop got real nasty with him. He explained to the cop that the closest place to park was about a mile down the street and that he had about 700 pounds worth of equipment in his van. The cop didnt care and told him if it wasnt gone in 15 seconds then he would ticket him and have it towed. The next week he tried it again and the cop stayed there and made sure all he was doing was taking his tools and shit up to the building and then moved on.

Some cops are assholes, not all. This seems to be more of a case of an asshole cop trying to be a hardass.

[quote name='TheChosenOne' post='299260' date='Jul 23 2006, 03:07 PM']Askew never did one fucking thing in college or in the two years he was on this team before now. Why is he suddenly a "shitfuck thug"?[/quote]

exactly, some people are just racist i guess.

Guest Claptonrocks
Maybe your right about Askew and then again maybe he was running his mouth and paid for it....
The guy is right about if they ask you to move your car you move it.
I cant belive Askew ran anywhere though.. why start now?

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='299303' date='Jul 23 2006, 04:22 PM']wow, u should go post at steelernation cuz ur as annoying as them.

Askew has never done shit b4 and isnt a thug. And some cops can overreact on a situation because its a BIG black guy in an escalade with rims making him look like a thug or gangsta. Maybe askew said he would move it in a minute and the cop told him to move it now.

My grandpa was a plumber for Geiler and when he used to work downtown (in the 60s/70s) he pulled his Geiler truck to a no parking zone to unload it and the cop got real nasty with him. He explained to the cop that the closest place to park was about a mile down the street and that he had about 700 pounds worth of equipment in his van. The cop didnt care and told him if it wasnt gone in 15 seconds then he would ticket him and have it towed. The next week he tried it again and the cop stayed there and made sure all he was doing was taking his tools and shit up to the building and then moved on.

Some cops are assholes, not all. This seems to be more of a case of an asshole cop trying to be a hardass.
exactly, some people are just racist i guess.[/quote]

If you're illegally parked and a cop tells you to move, MOVE YOUR FUCKING CAR !!!!! You don't tell him no, or you'll move it in a minute. Doesn't matter if you're a big black guy or a midget white woman. From what we know now, the cop WASN"T the asshole in this situation. It might turn out that he was, but if it happened even close to the way it's being reported, Askew was in the wrong.

And don't play the fucking race card here.

[quote name='ravonaf' post='299235' date='Jul 23 2006, 02:44 PM']It's become obvious that Marvin has lost complete control of this team. I'm not sure when it's happened but it has. If these players had any respect for him they just woudn't do what they are doing. These just aren't second string backups. These guys are the future starters of the franchise. At this point I don't care what the fuck Marvin does. This shit has to stop.[/quote]

:lmao:

what a nancy girl.... get over it crybaby

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='299308' date='Jul 23 2006, 04:30 PM']If you're illegally parked and a cop tells you to move, MOVE YOUR FUCKING CAR !!!!! You don't tell him no, or you'll move it in a minute. Doesn't matter if you're a big black guy or a midget white woman. From what we know now, the cop WASN"T the asshole in this situation. It might turn out that he was, but if it happened even close to the way it's being reported, Askew was in the wrong.[/quote]

I think the issue is that the way it has been reported... makes no fucking sense.

Here is a re-enactment based on the information the authorities have provided:

Policeman- "You need to move your car."

Askew- "No."

Policeman tries to handcuff Askew. Askew tries to run.

Policeman catches him and zaps him with a taser, then arrests him.

Askew's actions in particular, make no sense at all. Go has said that Askew wasn't drunk or under the influence. So something tells me that there is more to this incident than this.

Then again, he could just be really fucking dumb.

Guest ThurmanMunster
[quote name='BengalBacker' post='299308' date='Jul 23 2006, 04:30 PM']If you're illegally parked and a cop tells you to move, MOVE YOUR FUCKING CAR !!!!! You don't tell him no, or you'll move it in a minute. Doesn't matter if you're a big black guy or a midget white woman. From what we know now, the cop WASN"T the asshole in this situation. It might turn out that he was, but if it happened even close to the way it's being reported, Askew was in the wrong.
[b]
And don't play the fucking race card here.[/b][/quote]

first off im white, second off it was a joke.

and if the police report was right then Askew was wrong, but he is innocent till proven guilty and the media never portrays shit right so i tend to believe that it didnt happen this way.

Guest BengalBacker

[quote name='GoBengals' post='299310' date='Jul 23 2006, 04:32 PM']:lmao:

what a nancy girl.... get over it crybaby[/quote]

Go, I defend our players too, but you know Marvin has to consider all this shit as a lack of respect being shown to him. Right or wrong, it's making him look bad.

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='299312' date='Jul 23 2006, 04:40 PM']first off im white, second off it was a joke.
and if the police report was right then Askew was wrong, but he is innocent till proven guilty and the media never portrays shit right so i tend to believe that it didnt happen this way.[/quote]

Doesn't matter if you're white.

It wasn't a joke. You basically called him a racist.

As shown by some of the comments in here, some people automatically assume the cop is a racist asshole anytime something happens involving a black man. You can't assume either way, even though it's popular to blame the cops for everything these days.

Archived