Mass Murder Bomb Plot

Jason

Link: [url="http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060810/D8JDICL80.html"]http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060810/D8JDICL80.html[/url]

LONDON (AP) - British authorities said Thursday they had thwarted a terrorist plot to simultaneously blow up several aircraft heading to the U.S. using explosives smuggled in carry-on luggage. Heathrow was closed to most flights from Europe, and British Airways canceled all its flights Thursday between the airport and points in Britain, Europe and Libya.

Britain's Home Secretary John Reid said 21 people had been arrested in London, its suburbs and in Birmingham following a lengthy investigation, including the alleged "main players" in the plot.

Officials raised security to its highest level in Britain and banned carry-on luggage on all trans-Atlantic flights. Huge crowds formed at security barriers at London's Heathrow airport as officials searching for explosives barred nearly every form of liquid outside of baby formula.

The extreme measures at a major international aviation hub sent ripple effects throughout the world. Washington raised its threat alert to its highest level for commercial flights from Britain to the United States amid fears the plot had not been completely crushed. The alert for all flights coming or going from the United States was also raised slightly.

Two U.S. counterterrorism officials said the terrorists had targeted United Airlines, American Airlines and Continental Airlines. They spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the case.

A U.S. intelligence official said the plotters had hoped to target flights to major airports in New York, Washington and California, all major summer tourist destinations.

The suspects were "homegrown," though it was not immediately clear if they were all British citizens, said a police official who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the case. Police were working closely with the South Asian community, the official said.

The official said the plotters intended to simultaneously target multiple planes bound for the United States.

"We think this was an extraordinarily serious plot and we are confident that we've prevented and attempt to committee mass murder on an unimaginable scale," Deputy Commissioner Paul Stephenson said.

Prime Minister Tony Blair, vacationing in the Caribbean, briefed President Bush on the situation overnight, Blair's office said. There was no immediate public reaction from the White House. Bush is spending a few days at his ranch near Crawford, Texas.

It is the first time the red alert level in the Homeland Security warning system has been invoked, although there have been brief periods in the past when the orange level was applied. Homeland Security defines the red alert as designating a "severe risk of terrorist attacks."

"We believe that these arrests (in London) have significantly disrupted the threat, but we cannot be sure that the threat has been entirely eliminated or the plot completely thwarted," said U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff.

Chertoff added, however, there was no indication of current plots within the U.S. Numerous flights from U.S. cities to Britain were canceled Thursday morning.

He said the operation was "suggestive of an al-Qaida plot."

A senior U.S. counterterrorism official said authorities believe dozens of people - possibly as many as 50 - were involved in the plot. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation.

The plan involved airline passengers hiding masked explosives in carry-on luggage, the official said. "They were not yet sitting on an airplane," but were very close to traveling, the official said, calling the plot "the real deal."

Passengers in Britain faced delays as tighter security was hastily enforced at the country's airports and additional measures were put in place for all flights. Laptop computers, mobile phones, iPods, and remote controls were among the items banned from being carried on board.

Liquids, such as hair care products, were also barred on flights in both Britain and the U.S., raising the possibility that authorities were searching for a liquid explosive.

In the mid-1990s, officials foiled a plan by terrorist mastermind Ramzi Youssef to blow up 12 Western jetliners simultaneously over the Pacific. The alleged plot involved improvised bombs using liquid hidden in contact lens solution containers,

Huge lines formed at ticket counters and behind security barriers at Heathrow and other airports in Britain. Ed Lappen, 55, a businessman from Boston, who was traveling with his wife and daughter to Russia, found himself unable to travel further.

"We're safe, we're OK," he said at Heathrow. "Now my daughter is going to get a shopping trip in London."

Hannah Pillinger, 24, seemed less concerned by the announcement. "Eight hours without an iPod, that's the most inconvenient thing," she said, waiting at the Manchester airport.

Most European carriers canceled flights to Heathrow because of the massive delays created after authorities enforced strict new regulations banning most hand baggage.

Heathrow's block on incoming traffic applied to flights of three hours or less, affecting most of the incoming traffic from Europe, an airport spokesman said on condition of anonymity in line with airport policy.

Officials at Frankfurt's airport, Europe's second-busiest, Schiphol in Amsterdam and Charles De Gaulle in Paris said Heathrow-bound planes could instead land at their airports if they needed to.

London's Heathrow airport was the departure point for a devastating terrorist attack on a Pan Am airplane on Dec. 21, 1988. The blast over Lockerbie, Scotland, killed all 259 people aboard Pan Am Flight 103 and 11 people on the ground.

The explosive was hidden in a portable radio which was hidden in checked baggage.

---

Associated Press Writer Lara Jakes Jordan in Washington and Matt Moore in Frankfurt, Germany, contributed to this report.

I'm officially annoyed by this...I'm flying to Europe tomorrow night, which is completely throwing a wrench into my plans for a carefree flight and a quick moving baggage check. The worst part is that I just got off the phone with the airline, and with the liquid ban, we CAN bring on baby formula, but we have to taste it first to prove it's authenticity, and let me tell you, the taste of a liquid explosive may not be much less appealing than that of Enfamil Lipil.

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='313081' date='Aug 10 2006, 09:37 AM']I'm officially annoyed by this...I'm flying to Europe tomorrow night, which is completely throwing a wrench into my plans for a carefree flight and a quick moving baggage check. The worst part is that I just got off the phone with the airline, and with the liquid ban, we CAN bring on baby formula, but we have to taste it first to prove it's authenticity, and let me tell you, the taste of a liquid explosive may not be much less appealing than that of Enfamil Lipil.[/quote]

Just ask the pilot to borrow his bottle of liquor and you should be fine. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/3.gif[/img]

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='313073' date='Aug 10 2006, 09:22 AM']We should put up a wall.... that will stop them.
</sarcasm>[/quote]

:00000051:

:D

[url="http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060810/ap_on_re_us/terror_charges_ohio_1"]2 people in ohio[/url] have been apprehended... an interesting fact i found: [i]Investigators going through the car after the pair were pulled over in Marietta, about 90 miles southeast of Columbus, also found a map that showed locations of Wal-Mart stores from Ohio through Kentucky, Tennessee and into North and South Carolina, Vessels said. FBI spokesman Mike Brooks in Cincinnati said his office was notified about the arrests and an agent was investigating.[/i]

my town might have actually been targetted, for some reason....

i can't figure out if the guys were from cincy or not... the last line seems to say they were, unless there is an fbi division in cincy but not columbus...

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='313081' date='Aug 10 2006, 07:37 AM']I'm officially annoyed by this...I'm flying to Europe tomorrow night, which is completely throwing a wrench into my plans for a carefree flight and a quick moving baggage check. The worst part is that I just got off the phone with the airline, and with the liquid ban, we CAN bring on baby formula, but we have to taste it first to prove it's authenticity, and let me tell you, the taste of a liquid explosive may not be much less appealing than that of Enfamil Lipil.[/quote]
That sucks man! And I agree about the enfamil, and while we use Similac, I am sure they are equally nasty. Nothing like having your baby burp that foul-smelling concoction into your face, or throwing it up on you.
So do you have to actually taste it in front of a security agent of some kind?
Uggh.
Have you ever tried using the powdered formula? We switched to it with our second baby without a hitch, even though he had started on the premixed variety. it's a hell of a lot cheaper and easier to transport, especially in your situation. Plus it keeps forever upon opening, unlike the liquid variety. All we do is add filtered tap water....wham bam.

[quote name='bengalrick' post='313083' date='Aug 10 2006, 09:39 AM']:00000051:

:D
[url="http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060810/ap_on_re_us/terror_charges_ohio_1"]2 people in ohio[/url] have been apprehended... an interesting fact i found: [i]Investigators going through the car after the pair were pulled over in Marietta, about 90 miles southeast of Columbus, also found a map that showed locations of Wal-Mart stores from Ohio through Kentucky, Tennessee and into North and South Carolina, Vessels said. FBI spokesman Mike Brooks in Cincinnati said his office was notified about the arrests and an agent was investigating.[/i]

my town might have actually been targetted, for some reason....

i can't figure out if the guys were from cincy or not... the last line seems to say they were, unless there is an fbi division in cincy but not columbus...[/quote]

They werent there to run a terrorist plot, they were there to clean up Cleveland. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//3.gif[/img]

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='313087' date='Aug 10 2006, 07:43 AM']They werent there to run a terrorist plot, they were there to clean up Cleveland. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//3.gif[/img][/quote]
Is that the "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" logic?
:lol:

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='313082' date='Aug 10 2006, 08:38 AM']Just ask the pilot to borrow his bottle of liquor and you should be fine. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/3.gif[/img][/quote]

Hopefully, with the pilot's supposed income, he/she (or he-she, I guess, not that there's anything wrong with that) has a decent single malt scotch.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='313085' date='Aug 10 2006, 08:41 AM']That sucks man! And I agree about the enfamil, and while we use Similac, I am sure they are equally nasty. Nothing like having your baby burp that foul-smelling concoction into your face, or throwing it up on you.
So do you have to actually taste it in front of a security agent of some kind?
Uggh.
Have you ever tried using the powdered formula? We switched to it with our second baby without a hitch, even though he had started on the premixed variety. it's a hell of a lot cheaper and easier to transport, especially in your situation. Plus it keeps forever upon opening, unlike the liquid variety. All we do is add filtered tap water....wham bam.[/quote]
We use the powder as well, but my impression is that it needs to be "pre-mixed", so someone's drinking the stuff. Maybe I can just volunteer my son, since he's used to it.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='313088' date='Aug 10 2006, 09:44 AM']Is that the "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" logic?
:lol:[/quote]

Hey as long as they take care of "the school up north"... viva la revolution I say. ;)

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='313090' date='Aug 10 2006, 09:45 AM']Hopefully, with the pilot's supposed income, he/she (or he-she, I guess, not that there's anything wrong with that) has a decent single malt scotch.[/quote]

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='313091' date='Aug 10 2006, 07:47 AM']We use the powder as well, but my impression is that it needs to be "pre-mixed", so someone's drinking the stuff. Maybe I can just volunteer my son, since he's used to it.[/quote]
I wasn't even thinking about the fact that the long flight to europe will require you guys to feed your baby in-flight. Why would a powdered baby formula need to be premade? As far as I'm aware there aren't any powder explosives other than gunpowder, which isn't white. Hmmmm.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='313096' date='Aug 10 2006, 08:52 AM']I wasn't even thinking about the fact that the long flight to europe will require you guys to feed your baby in-flight. Why would a powdered baby formula need to be premade? As far as I'm aware there aren't any powder explosives other than gunpowder, which isn't white. Hmmmm.[/quote]

That's where you're wrong, Bung...this powder can cause violent explosions (see Carson's diaper).

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='313104' date='Aug 10 2006, 08:09 AM']That's where you're wrong, Bung...this powder can cause violent explosions (see Carson's diaper).[/quote]
Hah. I'm well aware of those types of explosions. God that is the worst!
well, good luck to you wherever your European destination is, and come home safe.

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/18.gif[/img] Good to hear they were able to foil these attacks. I know how hard it will be to travel as last year I had to fly into Lodon Heathrow a day after the subway bombings and security was tight and it was a tense flight with several air marshals on frow BWI.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='313105' date='Aug 10 2006, 09:11 AM']:lol:
Hah. I'm well aware of those types of explosions. God that is the worst!
well, good luck to you wherever your European destination is, and come home safe.[/quote]

Thanks for the well wishes...We're flying into Zurich (the Swiss are still neutral, right?) and will be staying mostly in Germany and Austria, while doing a lot of day trips to Switzerland and at least a one-shot deal to Italy.

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='313112' date='Aug 10 2006, 08:17 AM']Thanks for the well wishes...We're flying into Zurich (the Swiss are still neutral, right?) and will be staying mostly in Germany and Austria, while doing a lot of day trips to Switzerland and at least a one-shot deal to Italy.[/quote]
I'm not sure but aren't you a foodie? While in Germany, if you can, visit the Mosel river wine country....the best Rieslings in the world come from there...
And if in Italy, Tuscany and Piedmont are great places to visit....mmmmmm, barolo.....

[quote name='Bunghole' post='313115' date='Aug 10 2006, 09:20 AM']I'm not sure but aren't you a foodie? While in Germany, if you can, visit the Mosel river wine country....the best Rieslings in the world come from there...
And if in Italy, Tuscany and Piedmont are great places to visit....mmmmmm, barolo.....[/quote]

If by "foodie" you mean either a coneseur (sp?) of the culinary arts or as I like to say, a tub of shit, then yes I am. We plan on doing some eating and hiking, so hopefully one neutralizes the other (sorry everyone for hijacking the thread, somewhat - and sorry for using the term hijacking)

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='313126' date='Aug 10 2006, 08:27 AM']If by "foodie" you mean either a coneseur (sp?) of the culinary arts or as I like to say, a tub of shit, then yes I am. We plan on doing some eating and hiking, so hopefully one neutralizes the other (sorry everyone for hijacking the thread, somewhat - and sorry for using the term hijacking)[/quote]
Yes, that's what I meant. You'll certainly get your fill of snausages while your in der vaterland. Hey, take some pics of your trip and post them here (in a seperate thread, of course.). I'd be interested to see some snapshots of places I've never been, like Switzerland, whom as you assert, are officially still neutral (but you have to watch out, they've got those fancy knives for their "Army".....)
OK, on with the thread.
Unbelievable news, really. Amazing intelligence work and coordination. I can't wait to hear more details.

Archived