Rookies on the roster

The 53-man opening day roster looks like it will be loaded with guys who have never taken an NFL snap before. Certainly more than most teams with legit Super Bowl dreams.

Not as many on offense, but it's starting to look like there will be four or five rookies on that side of the ball. Obviously Whitworth will be one on the offensive line, and if Ben Wilkerson can hold off Kooistra he will make it too. Brazell has missed two important weeks of practice with an injury, but I think he had already impressed the coaches enough that they will be afraid to waive him. Certainly Chad Johnson acts like Brazell will be on the roster. Looks like Chris Perry will open the season on the PUP list, which should provide room for Quincy Wilson to make the team...unless Dorsey takes his slot. The big question is whether the Bengals will carry a third TE from their current roster. If so, then Darnell Sanders or Ronnie Ghent will make the 53-man roster. I personally believe they will either carry two TEs or pick up their third The on the waiver wire.

On the defensive side it looks like an incredible eight rookies may make it. Peko and Rucker are sure bets on the offensive line, as are Jeanty and Brooks with the linebacker corp. I believe that Nicholson has shown enough that he will be the third rookie LB, unless Marvin decides to keep a veteran backup on the roster if Thurman is still expected back by the fifth game. In the secondary Joseph is a lock, and the injury to Bauman will almost ensure that Greg Brooks opens up as the fifth CB. The Bauman injury, along with Mitchell's may also mean that the team carrys five safeties, which may mean the Bengals will keep two of Indiana Jones/Busing/Kilmer.

So there could be eight rookies kept on defense, and another four to five on offense. That's a ton of rookies.

Guest Tigris
I like the idea of not having to have a rookie start... which hasn't happened since WHEN??? Probably ever.

They can sit back and watch others play... and learn. We're gonna have a good team for a long, long time.

[quote name='dex' post='323656' date='Aug 25 2006, 09:15 AM']The 53-man opening day roster looks like it will be loaded with guys who have never taken an NFL snap before. Certainly more than most teams with legit Super Bowl dreams.

Not as many on offense, but it's starting to look like there will be four or five rookies on that side of the ball. Obviously Whitworth will be one on the offensive line, and if Ben Wilkerson can hold off Kooistra he will make it too. Brazell has missed two important weeks of practice with an injury, but I think he had already impressed the coaches enough that they will be afraid to waive him. Certainly Chad Johnson acts like Brazell will be on the roster. Looks like Chris Perry will open the season on the PUP list, which should provide room for Quincy Wilson to make the team...unless Dorsey takes his slot. The big question is whether the Bengals will carry a third TE from their current roster. If so, then Darnell Sanders or Ronnie Ghent will make the 53-man roster. I personally believe they will either carry two TEs or pick up their third The on the waiver wire.
On the defensive side it looks like an incredible eight rookies may make it. Peko and Rucker are sure bets on the offensive line, as are Jeanty and Brooks with the linebacker corp. I believe that Nicholson has shown enough that he will be the third rookie LB, unless Marvin decides to keep a veteran backup on the roster if Thurman is still expected back by the fifth game. In the secondary Joseph is a lock, and the injury to Bauman will almost ensure that Greg Brooks opens up as the fifth CB. The Bauman injury, along with Mitchell's may also mean that the team carrys five safeties, which may mean the Bengals will keep two of Indiana Jones/Busing/Kilmer.

So there could be eight rookies kept on defense, and another four to five on offense. That's a ton of rookies.[/quote]

Offensive Rookies:
Witworth
Brazell
Wilkerson is not a rookie
Maybe DeDe Quincy Wilson is not a rookie either

Defensive Rookies
JJ
Rucker
Nicolson
Brooks

Jeanty is first year in NFL but played in CFL so not realy a rookie

and the Safety Kilmer maybe....

So thats 8-9 rookies no more. You I doubt marvin would keep more then that.

Guest happyrid
[quote name='dex' post='323656' date='Aug 25 2006, 09:15 AM']The 53-man opening day roster looks like it will be loaded with guys who have never taken an NFL snap before. Certainly more than most teams with legit Super Bowl dreams.

So there could be eight rookies kept on defense, and another four to five on offense. That's a ton of rookies.[/quote]

Good post, though I am not sure that guys like Wilson and Wilkerson are necessarily considered rookies. I will include those type of guys here as well (I still don't think Wilkerson makes the 53 roster).

Here are the rookies I have making the team as of now:

1. Andrew Whitworth
2. Bennie Brazzell
3.Quincy Wilson (kind of a rookie)

4. Frostee Rucker
5. Domata Peko
6. Ahmad Brooks
7. Rashad Jeanty
8. AJ Nicholson
9. Johnathan Joseph
10. Ethan Kilmer
11. HernaDaze Jones (kind of a rookie)

[quote name='BengalsCat' post='323696' date='Aug 25 2006, 09:20 AM']Offensive Rookies:
Witworth
Brazell
Wilkerson is not a rookie
Maybe DeDe Quincy Wilson is not a rookie either

Defensive Rookies
JJ
Rucker
Nicolson
Brooks

Jeanty is first year in NFL but played in CFL so not realy a rookie

and the Safety Kilmer maybe....
So thats 8-9 rookies no more. You I doubt marvin would keep more then that.[/quote]
None of those guys you mentioned have ever taken an NFL snap, so of course they are rookies by any reasonable definition.

[quote name='dex' post='323698' date='Aug 25 2006, 10:23 AM']None of those guys you mentioned have ever taken an NFL snap, so of course they are rookies by any reasonable definition.[/quote]

No by definition some have been through a training camp ie wilson and Wilkerson. and have a years worth of credit towards FA I believe.

[quote name='Tigris' post='323706' date='Aug 25 2006, 10:35 AM']the only training campo wilkerson went through was this years... am i correct?/[/quote]

He was on PuP last year. and IR I believe. I am not sure But it still go towards your years of acrument. I would have to look that up.

[quote name='dex' post='323698' date='Aug 25 2006, 09:23 AM']None of those guys you mentioned have ever taken an NFL snap, so of course they are rookies by any reasonable definition.[/quote]

The old term was "journeyman" for 2nd year guys but I think "newbie" is easier and still defines inexperience.

[quote name='Tigris' post='323706' date='Aug 25 2006, 09:35 AM']the only training campo wilkerson went through was this years... am i correct?/[/quote]

Camp? ...yes, but he's been studying and learning technique all this time.

Also You have to remember every year we here about all the great rookies on our team. Like Brousard and a few others that dont make the roster that just become practice squad fotter... I mean we are deep at alot of position and have alot of talent. Its hard to cut established for rookies but It will and does happen. I just cant forsee us caring that many but they would be all backups so its possible.

And a lot of those rookies are going to be 3rd string. They are also talented. That means bright future. Do you want 1 Super Bowl Championship or 3?

[quote name='Tigris' post='323686' date='Aug 25 2006, 10:09 AM'][b]I like the idea of not having to have a rookie start[/b]... which hasn't happened since WHEN??? Probably ever.

They can sit back and watch others play... and learn. We're gonna have a good team for a long, long time.[/quote]

Me too, thats what good teams are able to do and the teams that stay around in the playoffs for a long time are the ones who replace their vets with already trained backups who are usually not rookies, when they Eagles lost both their corners they replaced them and didnt miss a step. Were setting ourselves up pretty good.

Guest Tigris

[quote name='Jeb' post='323753' date='Aug 25 2006, 11:46 AM']Why? We've got Braham as our starter this season. We'll do fine.[/quote]
I meant the forum in general... i was bored :)

I think Wilson and Wilkerson are considered 1st-year players... neither has taken an NFL snap, but they have been through a year as an NFL player (PS or PUP, they're still property of the Bengals and were on the team last year)... and as such, they are not considered rookies.

Point taken, though - a lot of youth, but as stated by others, with the exception of Peko and Joseph (and guys who would be ST'ers), I don't see any getting a lot of PT (barring injury). But I don't see that as a bad thing. Good depth for the future. As Marvin said, expand your role! I see Tab Perry possibly doing that this year, Henry will likely make more catches, Pollack will be better and more impactful...

[quote name='texbengal' post='323789' date='Aug 25 2006, 11:32 AM']I think Wilson and Wilkerson are considered 1st-year players... neither has taken an NFL snap, but they have been through a year as an NFL player (PS or PUP, they're still property of the Bengals and were on the team last year)... and as such, they are not considered rookies.[/quote]
^^^ This is correct. For example, EricG, Pollack, and Thurman are 2nd year players. Wilkerson was here for a year, so hes not a rookie, but he didnt receive a year credited towards free agency.

[quote name='Tigris' post='323686' date='Aug 25 2006, 09:09 AM']I like the idea of not having to have a rookie start... which hasn't happened since WHEN??? Probably ever.

They can sit back and watch others play... and learn. We're gonna have a good team for a long, long time.[/quote]

^^^^ agree...

You notice a lot of teams now are pretty much one superbowl run and out next year. In the 90s I was praying for a year not caring if we sucked the nexst season, but now the wait was well worth it. We will have a great team for years. I hope Brown doesn't start getting stingy on us again.

Guest IndianaBengal
if Indy Jones does well in the last two preseason games, he'll make the team.... we need the depth and he has a yr under his belt...

Guest happyrid
[quote name='IndianaBengal' post='323906' date='Aug 25 2006, 03:55 PM']if Indy Jones does well in the last two preseason games, he'll make the team.... we need the depth and he has a yr under his belt...[/quote]

I think you're right. With Mitchell out for the year, we need someone who has actually played safety before to backup along with KK. So even if Kilmer makes it, I think Jones should also, assuming he beats out Busing.

[quote name='DontPushMe' post='323861' date='Aug 25 2006, 01:44 PM']^^^ This is correct. For example, EricG, Pollack, and Thurman are 2nd year players. Wilkerson was here for a year, so hes not a rookie, but he didnt receive a year credited towards free agency.[/quote]
This is all just thread-killing terminology here. If people object to the term "rookie" we can just call all these new guys motherfuckers-who-have-never-taken-an-NFL-snap before. And the 2006 Bengals look like they will have a double-digit number of such motherfuckers on their opening day roster.

[quote name='texbengal' post='323789' date='Aug 25 2006, 12:32 PM']I think Wilson and Wilkerson are considered 1st-year players... neither has taken an NFL snap, but they have been through a year as an NFL player (PS or PUP, they're still property of the Bengals and were on the team last year)... and as such, they are not considered rookies.[/quote]

edit: you're right, they are considered 1st-year players, I guess because they were not on the 53-man roster.

[url="http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/493124"]Quincy Wilson[/url]
[url="http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/423627"]Ben Wilkerson[/url]

Anyway... isn't it a [b]good[/b] thing that we are drafting players and finding UDFAs who are more talented than the journeyman, veteran backup types they are going to displace on our roster? We're (well Marvin is) laying the foundations of a dynasty here, guys.

Archived