Henry No Shows a vounteer event

[quote name='oldschooler' post='362118' date='Oct 11 2006, 12:27 PM']When has anyone said any of that stuff is OK, and that there shouldn`t be any reprecussions ?[/quote]

Are you serious? Did you read any of the posts after the Odell DUI deal? A lot of people on here have been working overtime rationalizing that and most of his other incidents away.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='362115' date='Oct 11 2006, 12:22 PM']Why would Marvin expect one player, that`s been arrested multiple times and is
serving a suspension by the NFL to attend a volunteer outing ? Why not expect the
same out of a player that`s been arrested once (Odell)and is serving a suspension
from the NFL ? I`d say Odell could use the positive light just as much, if not more than Henry.
And if there was "rumblings" because he wasn`t there, and those rumblings
made there way onto a Bengals message board... then Marvin`s goal wasn`t
attained anyway. Because Henry is now being put into a negative light, and it`s
all because of a rumor, rather than being official.[/quote]

I have a feeling that has to do with the fact that Henry is still a active member of the team, where as my own suspesions are that Marvin has washed his hands of Odell. There is also a bit of a difference between rumblings on a message board, and making those rumblings official by writing about them.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='362116' date='Oct 11 2006, 12:24 PM']I think Marvins goal was to help the kids and poor folk, not make his fuck up players look better...[/quote]

Of course thats the ultimate goal, but dont kid yourself into thinking they dont use events like this to potray the team or or players in a good light.

[quote name='Master Shake' post='362123' date='Oct 11 2006, 12:32 PM']:lmao: if you think you should follow the same protocol raising children as you do rooting for your fav WR, then you're the one who should avoid procreation.[/quote]

That didn't make any sense. You can root for a football player without defending everything he does off the field. If you think that someone getting into that much trouble is acceptable regardless of his profession, then you've got problems.

Guest IndianaBengal
Didn't captian Spock from Star Trek write a book on how to raise Vulcan children. Why wouldn't any logical person not wan't to follow that example??

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='Jamie_B' post='362135' date='Oct 11 2006, 11:42 AM']I have a feeling that has to do with the fact that Henry is still a active member of the team, where as my own suspesions are that Marvin has washed his hands of Odell. There is also a bit of a difference between rumblings on a message board, and making those rumblings official by writing about them.[/quote]

Henry is allowed to work out and attend meetings.
But he`s not allowed to practice, go to PBS or on the road for games.
I wouldn`t exactly call him an "active" member right now.

I think Marvin would be stupid to wash his hands of Odell, but try to
help Henry. Obviously Odell needs Marvin`s help just as much as Henry does.
Odell was a 2nd round pick, Henry was a 3rd. Both are signed through 2009.

Henry got arrested 4 times so close together, that the NFL didn`t have
time to act on him. Odell failed a test, skipped a test and was arrested.
Both fucked up mutiple times. Both are fuck ups. Why wash your hands of
one, but try to put one in a postive light ? Because Henry`s next fuck up
doesn`t get him banned for life, and Odell`s does ? And Henry could be
in the same boat soon if he`s found guilty of pending charges.

And yeah there`s a difference... one puts Henry in a bad light because of a rumor.
The other puts Henry in a bad light because it really happened.

Guest Master Shake
[quote name='Hooky' post='362137' date='Oct 11 2006, 12:42 PM']That didn't make any sense. You can root for a football player without defending everything he does off the field. If you think that someone getting into that much trouble is acceptable regardless of his profession, then you've got problems.[/quote]

Wow, so I guess your son can expect to be excommunicated from your family if he gets a non-violent gun charge and simple possession... does he know this???

[quote name='oldschooler' post='362147' date='Oct 11 2006, 12:57 PM']Henry is allowed to work out and attend meetings.
But he`s not allowed to practice, go to PBS or on the road for games.
I wouldn`t exactly call him an "active" member right now.
I think Marvin would be stupid to wash his hands of Odell, but try to
help Henry. Obviously Odell needs Marvin`s help just as much as Henry does.
Odell was a 2nd round pick, Henry was a 3rd. Both are signed through 2009.

Henry got arrested 4 times so close together, that the NFL didn`t have
time to act on him. Odell failed a test, skipped a test and was arrested.
Both fucked up mutiple times. Both are fuck ups. Why wash your hands of
one, but try to put one in a postive light ? Because Henry`s next fuck up
doesn`t get him banned for life, and Odell`s does ?
And yeah there`s a difference... one puts Henry in a bad light because of a rumor.
The other puts Henry in a bad light because it really happened.[/quote]

Ever the defender of the player no matter what arent you? Look I want Henry (and Odell) here on the staight path as much as you do, but lets not defend them till the bitter end, if they fuck up call them on it. Thats probabally part of their problems is that because they are pretty damn good football players, no one has ever called them on their bullshit.

Perhaps Marvin wants to make sure Henry stays on the team as long as he still can stay on it. Perhaps the article that was written a few weeks ago, describing how the team was happy with what happened to Odell and look at Henry as Odell's follower into trouble is part of the reason why he has washed his hands of one, and not the other.

Of course thats my speculation anyway.

Guest oldschooler

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='362158' date='Oct 11 2006, 01:04 PM']Ever the defender of the player no matter what arent you?
Look I want Henry (and Odell) here on the staight path as much as you do, but lets not defend them till the bitter end, if they fuck up call them on it. Thats probabally part of their problems is that because they are pretty damn good football players, no one has ever called them on their bullshit.[/quote]

:huh:

Where haver I defended a player ?
I just said I don`t think Henry needs to be shown any special treatment
or to be put into a postive light anymore than Odell does.

[quote]Perhaps Marvin wants to make sure Henry stays on the team as long as he still can stay on it. Perhaps the article that was written a few weeks ago, describing how the team was happy with what happened to Odell and look at Henry as Odell's follower into trouble is part of the reason why he has washed his hands of one, and not the other.[/quote]

So, Marvin wants Henry to show up at a voluntary event so he can help Henry
stay on the team longer. Yet Henry supposedly never showed. So what does
that say to Marvin ? Wouldn`t you think that Marvin would be so pissed
about going out of his way to help Henry, only to be shit on, that he would
have pubicly lambasted Henry like he did Odell even before Odell`s OVI ?
I sure as hell think he would.

And Henry got arrested 4 times, while Odell was no where to be seen.
Odell gets arrested one time, and Henry was right there with him.
Looks like Henry is the bad influence to me.

I never heard anyone but Palmer comment on Odell. And I`ve already commented how
Palmer was talking out of both sides of his mouth.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='362164' date='Oct 11 2006, 01:13 PM']:huh:

Where haver I defended a player ?
I just said I don`t think Henry needs to be shown any special treatment
or to be put into a postive light anymore than Odell does.
So, Marvin wants Henry to show up at a voluntary event so he can help Henry
stay on the team longer. Yet Henry supposedly never showed. So what does
that say to Marvin ? Wouldn`t you think that Marvin would be so pissed
about going out of his way to help Henry, only to be shit on, that he would
have pubicly lambasted Henry like he did Odell even before Odell`s OVI ?
I sure as hell think he would.
And Henry got arrested 4 times, while Odell was no where to be seen.
Odell gets arrested one time, and Henry was right there with him.
Looks like Henry is the bad influence to me.

I never heard anyone but Palmer comment on Odell. And I`ve already commented how
Palmer was talking out of both sides of his mouth.[/quote]

Why would marvin want a player whom he has cleaned out his locker and told him not to be around at any event? Wouldnt you think that he wants Odell away from the spotlight as he isnt currently playing (yess I know Henry isnt for the next two weeks) and thus wants him out of sight out of mind?

Anyway I have alot of things to get done today, I cant go back and forth with you (and bengalrick in the J&D forum). I have to get stuff done, perhaps Ill get back on tonight or tommorow and discuss it, but if I keep talking Ill never get my stuff done.

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='Jamie_B' post='362180' date='Oct 11 2006, 01:24 PM']Why would marvin want a player whom he has cleaned out his locker and told him not to be around at any event? Wouldnt you think that he wants Odell away from the spotlight as he isnt currently playing (yess I know Henry isnt for the next two weeks) and thus wants him out of sight out of mind?[/quote]

I just don`t think he should do more to help Henry than he is willing to do to help Odell.

The team invested more (2nd round pick and 2nd round pick money)
in Odell than they did in Henry. Odell has gotten in trouble with the law
300% less than Henry. Both are serving suspensions. Henry could still
get even more games.

Marvin was always harder on Odell. Even last year he was always picking on him,
and making an example out of him. Maybe Marvin took it personal that he spent more
time, energy, effort and money on Odell ? I don`t even begin to act like I know why he`s been
so hard on Odell and not show Henry the same wrath. I don`t think it`s right or fair though.
Ecspecially if Marvin did try to help Henry, only to be stood up, and Marvin didn`t
blast him publicly like he did Odell. Because Marvin DID blast Odell, even before Odell
got his year suspension.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='362195' date='Oct 11 2006, 12:42 PM']I just don`t think he should do more to help Henry than he is willing to do to help Odell.

The team invested more (2nd round pick and 2nd round pick money)
in Odell than they did in Henry. Odell has gotten in trouble with the law
300% less than Henry. Both are serving suspensions. Henry could still
get even more games.

Marvin was always harder on Odell. Even last year he was always picking on him,
and making an example out of him. Maybe Marvin took it personal that he spent more
time, energy, effort and money on Odell ? I don`t even begin to act like I know why he`s been
so hard on Odell and not show Henry the same wrath. I don`t think it`s right or fair though.
Ecspecially if Marvin did try to help Henry, only to be stood up, and Marvin didn`t
blast him publicly like he did Odell. Because Marvin DID blast Odell, even before Odell
got his year suspension.[/quote]

Btw, ...did Marvin even say anything to Steiny about his BUI?

Guest fredtoast
[quote name='oldschooler' post='362195' date='Oct 11 2006, 01:42 PM']I don`t even begin to act like I know why he`s been
got his year suspension.[/quote]

None of us have the close personal and professional relationship with Henry and Thurman that Marvin does. We have no idea what their attitudes have been about all of this. We don't know about all the little day to day things that these guys do that either helps them or hurts them in Marvin's eyes. Henry may have been more contrite while Thurman copped an attitude or a victim's mentality. Thurman didn't even show up for training camp on time, and at least Henry managed that. We just don't know all the facts, and we never will. We judge these guys on what little information is leaked out to the public. None of us have the true inside information that could explain the action Marvin takes with each player. Every case is different, and so each one should be handled on an individual basis.

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='362116' date='Oct 11 2006, 12:24 PM']I think Marvins goal was to help the kids and poor folk, not make his fuck up players look better...[/quote]

if that is the sole plan, then why not hire homeless and poverty stricken people to do the work? i mean, they could pay people that need the money to build houses for people that need houses... win-win, right? except for one thing... no good PR...

the facts are, these are PR stunts, but i am still extremely proud that our guys take time out of their schedule to do it, even if they are forced to do it... henry missing is messed up, but not the end of the world... but it surely isn't going to make marvin to happy...

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='fredtoast' post='362211' date='Oct 11 2006, 01:09 PM']None of us have the close personal and professional relationship with Henry and Thurman that Marvin does. We have no idea what their attitudes have been about all of this. We don't know about all the little day to day things that these guys do that either helps them or hurts them in Marvin's eyes. Henry may have been more contrite while Thurman copped an attitude or a victim's mentality. Thurman didn't even show up for training camp on time, and at least Henry managed that. We just don't know all the facts, and we never will. We judge these guys on what little information is leaked out to the public. None of us have the true inside information that could explain the action Marvin takes with each player. Every case is different, and so each one should be handled on an individual basis.[/quote]

You`re right, none of us do know all the details.
I do know that the team thought more of Odell though, because they drafted
him higher.

I don`t know when Odell failed his first piss test, but I do know when Henry first got arrested.

Odell got arrested right before he was supposed to come off his suspension.
Henry got arrested 3 times after he was deactivated by Marvin last year. Plus, Henry was with
Odell and was drunk while out on bond and on probation and was forbidden to drink.
Both have shown that they never learned from their mistakes the first, second or third time.

Regardless, I don`t think either situation is really that different. And I don`t believe either should be treated
much differently.

So just from what I do know, I can`t understand why Marvin is so hard on Odell, and doesn`t have the same ire
for Henry.Ecspecially if Marvin is trying to show one in a good light to the public, while publicly blasting and
shunning the other.

someone called in the sports animal yesterday that was there helping and
said TJ didn't do shit while he was there..... [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

sorry, just had to mention it, thought it was funny....makes you wonder
how much actual work the players do anyway....

Guest Master Shake
[quote name='BengalBeotch' post='362230' date='Oct 11 2006, 02:35 PM']someone called in the sports animal yesterday that was there helping and
said TJ didn't do shit while he was there..... [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

sorry, just had to mention it, thought it was funny....makes you wonder
how much actual work the players do anyway....[/quote]

good...the last thing we need is for him to hit his hand with a hammer or shoot a nail into his foot

I couldn't give a shit about this trivial event he may have missed. I'm just tired of people getting all up in arms over his every move, because there's no way that clueless moron will last in the NFL long-term.

All it takes is one hot season to help put a team over the top (see Woods, E.), but can he even last a full season at this point? Who knows ... either way he's a turd sandwich.

Chris is just a selfish asshole that has forgotten where he has come from..."poor kid from the hood" this bullshit has been played out. If indeed he or anyone else from the hood makes it out and gets rich that person should help improve the community just because they should remember where they have come from...you know "keep it real".

Personally all of the selfishness pisses me off! :rant:

Archived