Asante Samuel

JBandJoeyV

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='441444' date='Feb 15 2007, 08:04 AM']He had 5 ints in his first three seasons and then he has a break out year, in a contract year, where he has 10 ints.

have you all watched him and can tell that he is really worth the millions he will be getting?
Just wondering cause i havent watched that much...[/quote]
He may be a bit overrated, but he definitely developed into the best playmaker at his position in the league. He's not quite a shutdown corner, but he has learned to play the ball very well and really doesn't give up the big play.

Guest fredtoast
I had never heard of the guy mush before this season, but if you watched the Colts/Pats playoff game then you would see why everyone wants him. He was all over the receivers.

I'm originally from the Boston area, so I still follow the Pats and watch a number of their games. He showed the ability to make plays early in his career, but he kinda got lost in the shadow of some higher-profile secondary players like Ty Law and Rodney Harrison. He brought an INT back for a TD against Carson in that game where Carson got hit by Seymour and was lost for the final few games.

He continued to progress, started most of 2005 and then this year, he just exploded. Great ball skills, closes fast, and a pretty good run defender, too.

I remember reading after the draft in 2003 that the Bengals really were intrigued by him, but they didn't pull the trigger. They liked Devery Henderson, too (NO WR who had a pretty big year in 2006), but they didn't take him, either. Oh, well - the Bengals got a really nice FB in Jeremi Johnson and a very good guard in Eric Steinbach, so they did pretty well drafting in the rounds where those players were taken.

I think he is most definately a top tier CB, I don't think he came into the league as a shutdown guy but there are very few that do, but I do think he has grown as a player and plays the position very well. He will command big bucks, and more than likely he will get what he's looking for seeing that there are only two legit corners in the FA market this year, that being him and Nate Clements from Buffalo. While I think Nick Harper is good, he's just not in the class with Samuel & Clements, just my opinion.

His 2006 season was nearly identical to Deltha's 2005 season. He was an interception machine, but he also deflected passes, disrupted routes, and did everything else a corner is supposed to do. I think he's the real deal (and I don't want to sign him :)).

[quote name='texbengal' post='441465' date='Feb 15 2007, 08:53 AM']They liked Devery Henderson, too (NO WR who had a pretty big year in 2006), but they didn't take him, either. Oh, well - the Bengals got a really nice FB in Jeremi Johnson and a very good guard in Eric Steinbach, so they did pretty well drafting in the rounds where those players were taken.[/quote]

Correction -- I messed up on Henderson - he's only in his 4th year, so I guess the Bengals could have had him instead of Keiwan... or was it Madieu? I forget which was their own #2, and which was the Pats for the Corey Dillon deal.

[quote name='texbengal' post='441471' date='Feb 15 2007, 10:02 AM']Correction -- I messed up on Henderson - he's only in his 4th year, so I guess the Bengals could have had him instead of Keiwan... or was it Madieu? I forget which was their own #2, and which was the Pats for the Corey Dillon deal.[/quote]

Madieu.

Guest oldschooler
He had 6 INT`s his first 3 seasons.

He is a young player, that has been well coached, has Playoff expierence, 2 Super Bowl rings,
has played on good defenses his whole career, and is just now entering the prime of his career.

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='441450' date='Feb 15 2007, 09:27 AM']He may be a bit overrated, but he definitely developed into the best playmaker at his position in the league. He's not quite a shutdown corner, but he has learned to play the ball very well and really doesn't give up the big play.[/quote]

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='441453' date='Feb 15 2007, 09:30 AM']I watched like 3 or 4 Patriots games, and yeah he is that good.[/quote]

[quote name='fredtoast' post='441455' date='Feb 15 2007, 09:32 AM']I had never heard of the guy mush before this season, but if you watched the Colts/Pats playoff game then you would see why everyone wants him. He was all over the receivers.[/quote]

I agree with these 3 completely. Also I believe he returned an INT for a TD in the WC game against the Jets as well. He is a playmaker and with a 100% healthy Deltha O'Neal (assuming he gets his head out of his ass as well) would make a great starting 2 corners. Shit even JJ could start next year if Deltha once again underachieves. Also like ChicagoBengal said, he doesn't give up the big play...how many times did Tory get burned this past year? I would love to have him on board, but I would be surprised if the Bengals put the money down to sign this guy.

The first impression i got of him was when he picked Carson off in the NE game Carson's second season.

Then i saw him on the FA list and was like this guy is a helluva player and procceded to pimp him. Then came the Colts game and he shut Harrison down. Not many corners can do that. We should get this guy if we get a chance. I doubt it will happen though..

Guest BengalsOwn
[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='441450' date='Feb 15 2007, 09:27 AM']He may be a bit overrated, but he definitely developed into the best playmaker at his position in the league. He's not quite a shutdown corner, but he has learned to play the ball very well and really doesn't give up the big play.[/quote]

The best playmaker at his position? Ever heard of Champ Bailey?

Guest BadassBengal
I like him for his ability and willingness to come up in the run game and smack people around. He's layed bricks on some running backs the past couple seasons. Add that onto his coverage abilities, and you have yourself a great starter for many years to come.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='441444' date='Feb 15 2007, 09:04 AM']He had 5 ints in his first three seasons and then he has a break out year, in a contract year, where he has 10 ints.

have you all watched him and can tell that he is really worth the millions he will be getting?
Just wondering cause i havent watched that much...[/quote]

Really cannot answer the question except to say he was really good in the 1 1/2 quarters of the Indy playoff game. I don't know that he played badly the rest of the game or that Indy just began taking what NE was giving.

I could not believe Indy going deep seemly every other play at the begining of that game. Once they began working underneath like they did against Cincy/Bears, they were unstopable.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='441500' date='Feb 15 2007, 11:08 AM']The best playmaker at his position? Ever heard of Champ Bailey?[/quote]

Champ isn't that good. He is one of the best and certainly athletic but he had some terrible teams to play against.

Champs division:

Oakland? Randy wasn't playing half the time and they don't have a QB.

Chargers? They have no name WRs and also have a terrible QB.

Cheifs? They have no name WRs and also missed Trent Greens old self.

I am not saying he is bad but with that division it is easy to make yourself look good. Must I remind you how much he got owned by Chad? As somebody mentioned before Asante completely shut down Marvin. Marvin didn't know what to do because Asante was playing so physical and was breaking on the routes.

We won't get Asante though..

[quote name='GruntRobinson8' post='441793' date='Feb 15 2007, 09:07 PM']Champ isn't that good. He is one of the best and certainly athletic but he had some terrible teams to play against.

Champs division:

I am not saying he is bad but with that division it is easy to make yourself look good. Must I remind you how much he got owned by Chad? As somebody mentioned before Asante completely shut down Marvin. Marvin didn't know what to do because Asante was playing so physical and was breaking on the routes.

We won't get Asante though..[/quote]

Yes Chad owned Champ but that was poor coaching by the Broncos. These so called shut down corners can not shut down front line wide outs, NONE OF THEM CAN !!! Today wide outs are just too good, too strong and run too good of routes. The guy that knows where he is going will beat the guy who doesn't 99% of the time.

Good teams put their shut down guy on the 2nd receiver and double the #1. Why Denver thought Champ could cover Chad is beyond me and just plain stupid.

By the way, despite being owned by Chad, Champ is one of if not the best in today's game.

Best playmaker?

Asante had 16 games, 64 tackles 10 ints

Guess which playmaker put up these stats in 2004....
16 games 61 tackles 8 ints

Ints don't tell the whole story my friend... it's kind of like sacks ... i think it's a very overrated stat.

I think if you could show me a int per pass thrown at ratio, then I could determine whose a real playmaker, but to base someones year on INTs and call them the best playmaker at his position is a little assasine

Guest BengalBacker
Teams looking to help their defense suffered another major blow Friday when the Patriots took away one of the top defensive players on the market -- cornerback Asante Samuel.

Samuel became the third player to receive the franchise tag. He was given a one-year tender at $7.79 million. For a team to try to sign him, they have to be willing to give up two first-round draft choices and then have to wait seven days after reaching agreement to see if the Patriots will match.

"Asante Samuel is an outstanding player who has been a consistent contributor for us for several years," coach Bill Belichick said in a statement the team issued Friday night. "We hope Asante remains a Patriot for many seasons to come."

Samuel, who had 11 interceptions last season, was too valuable for the Patriots to lose. In 11 career playoff games, he returned three interceptions for touchdowns.

In the past 24 hours, the Bengals franchised defensive end Justin Smith and the Bears franchised linebacker Lance Briggs. The Colts are expected to franchise defensive end Dwight Freeney if they don't get a deal. Thursday is a final day to designate franchise players.

By franchising Samuel, the Patriots could potentially lose tight end Daniel Graham, who is a free agent. There was some thought given to franchising Graham but the Patriots felt it was more important to keep Samuel.

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2768800"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2768800[/url]

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='442246' date='Feb 17 2007, 01:52 AM']By franchising Samuel, the Patriots could potentially lose tight end Daniel Graham, who is a free agent. There was some thought given to franchising Graham but the Patriots felt it was more important to keep Samuel.
[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2768800"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2768800[/url][/quote]

good, we couldn't afford samuel anyway. i'd much rather daniel graham be on the open market and to have a shot at him. sign kelly also and instantly have some decided advantages on 3rd down with a very formidible double TE set. graham could add some mileage to carson's career and he's one of the best run blocking TE's in the business. i really hope we make a strong push for him.

[quote name='GruntRobinson8' post='441793' date='Feb 15 2007, 09:07 PM']Champ isn't that good. He is one of the best and certainly athletic but he had some terrible teams to play against.

Champs division:

We won't get Asante though..[/quote]

This argument doesnt make any sense. Are you saying that Asante had it tough because he had to play against the Jets, Dolphins, and Bills? Are you serious?

Guest OzBengal
[quote name='texbengal' post='441471' date='Feb 15 2007, 10:02 AM']Correction -- I messed up on Henderson - he's only in his 4th year, so I guess the Bengals could have had him instead of Keiwan... or was it Madieu? I forget which was their own #2, and which was the Pats for the Corey Dillon deal.[/quote]

Wrong draft year. But you are right about the Bengals being interested in him. We were tossing up between him and Weathersby in the 2003 draft as our 4th round draft choice. But as usual we took a chance on the risky guy with upside and passed on the solid player.

Archived