Worst Decision in the Marvin Era?

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='450870' date='Mar 5 2007, 03:07 PM']we need perry either way. rudi just isnt that good and isnt a RB for a single back offense. He needs a speed back with him.[/quote]

If all we needed at the time was a speed back to complement Rudi, we could have gotten that type of back in the later rounds, or stuck with one of our practice-squad backs like DeDe Dorsey. And that back would prbably be more durable than Perry is now. WE should have knew that with all that usage at Michigan with him being their workhorse for the better part of 3 years, he was due to break down.

remember, our Rb coach isn't really a slouch when it comes to coaching up young backs. I would trust our RB coach with any young back regardless of what round, like Rudi in the 4th round.

1. not drafting stephen jackson.

maybe the entire 2005 draft. pollack, odell, henry, ghiacuc, kieft, tab and fanene. looked better when pollack and odell were functioning members of a football team.
maybe the 2004 draft.
they both essentially suck and weve gotten no [b]consistent[/b] production from either.

Guest OzBengal

[quote name='Patton' post='450746' date='Mar 5 2007, 01:06 PM']The Bengals need to learn when to say good bye to players. You want to say it when you expect a decline not after you see it.[/quote]

I agree with this. Marvin's biggest problem so far has been hanging on to players a year too long. Kevin Hardy and Tory James. Perry is a close 2nd :)

And I still think Frostee Rucker has a chance to be a good player with us. But AJ Nicholson runs a 4.9 and is not very quick. I never saw the attraction with him.

The 2004 Draft hurts a lot . I remember Chris Mort. saying this draft could make or Break us . I was begging for Steven Jackson because I seen him play a lot and he was a beast in the pac 10 . and got Perry
2. we then draft Ratliff a slow cb with not much upside.
2b. Draft a tweener CB/S in Williams but hes pretty good so far
3. Draft L.Johnson a reach
3b draft Miller a possible free agent.
4 draft Askew , gone
2005 we drafted exactly the guys i WANTED but with mixed results
2006 draft -wanted joseph, de Anderson ,Dt watson but got Rucker instead who sucks. I really wanted Anderson a lot who stood out in the Senior Bowl and in workouts last year.

Guest Bengals1181
[quote name='SoCal.BengalFan' post='451138' date='Mar 5 2007, 07:57 PM']The 2004 Draft hurts a lot . I remember Chris Mort. saying this draft could make or Break us . I was begging for Steven Jackson because I seen him play a lot and he was a beast in the pac 10 . and got Perry
2. we then draft Ratliff a slow cb with not much upside.
2b. Draft a tweener CB/S in Williams but hes pretty good so far
3. Draft L.Johnson a reach
3b draft Miller a possible free agent.
4 draft Askew , gone
2005 we drafted exactly the guys i WANTED but with mixed results
2006 draft -wanted joseph, de Anderson ,Dt watson but got Rucker instead who sucks. I really wanted Anderson a lot who stood out in the Senior Bowl and in workouts last year.[/quote]

I love how you say Rucker sucks, but have nothing to base it on. Also, Landon Johnson has been a good pickup for where he was drafted.

Letting a piece of shit named Ohelete(sp?who gives?) step on the field during actual play.

But being real..it has to be hiring chucky. The king of letting teams back in the last half of the game.

Back to those defensive stats.

Year Frazier 1 Conservative offense lead to a grinder 4th qtr defense that kept numbers low.

Year Frazier 2 Better players after purge, better numbers. Offense still not fully formed.

Year Bresh 3: A great turnover defense, feeding off an explosive offense.

Year Bresh 4: After a playoff year, a stronger schedule combined with a rash of injuries made for the poor numbers.

It's pretty easy to see why we were up and down in each year. Even still, I think when you account for it all, we have improved on defense.

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='451289' date='Mar 6 2007, 04:19 AM']Back to those defensive stats.

Year Frazier 1 Conservative offense lead to a grinder 4th qtr defense that kept numbers low.

Year Frazier 2 Better players after purge, better numbers. Offense still not fully formed.

Year Bresh 3: A great turnover defense, feeding off an explosive offense.

Year Bresh 4: After a playoff year, a stronger schedule combined with a rash of injuries made for the poor numbers.

It's pretty easy to see why we were up and down in each year. [b]Even still, I think when you account for it all, we have improved on defense.[/b][/quote]
x2

If the boys can stay healthy for a change, now that Tory is gone, we should have a chance to be solid. Add two 1st day draft picks to the mix, and we should be even better.

I just hope that once the talent/depth/health is there, that we get out of this passive D scheme of sitting back and waiting to just get picked apart. We need to play downhill and aggressively, at least at times, to knock the O on their heels, instead of always absorbing the blow.

Guest fredtoast
Ratliff was a huge playmaker in college. He was the SEC Defensive Player of the Year (9 ints) and also started at WR and PR. He had multiple long TDs in his career and played both ways against Michigan in a Bowl game with a long td catch. I know he didn't blow away the stop watch guys, but how many times do you here guys saying that game film is more important than 40 times. Personally I was thrilled with the pick.

As they say "Hindsight is 20/20".

[quote name='Rick' post='451693' date='Mar 6 2007, 03:33 PM']The last several days I would say letting Simmons go and keeping Miller. :whistle:[/quote]

:lol:

Didnt you give him some love when he was playing well last year? Going back on that now?

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='451695' date='Mar 6 2007, 03:34 PM']:lol:

Didnt you give him some love when he was playing well last year? Going back on that now?[/quote]
ive got all the love miller needs :wub:

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='451695' date='Mar 6 2007, 03:34 PM']:lol:

Didnt you give him some love when he was playing well last year? Going back on that now?[/quote]

He did well as a part-time player last year. However, I believe Simmons is a better day-to-day player than Miller. Since we have not upgraded with new and improved LBs since Simmons was released, I am getting a little concerned. I would rather have a Simmons than a Miller. I think we are in trouble with our D if we don't do something. I just don't think a rookie can fill the billet. I don't know IF we are going to draft for a LB, too.

Should I NOT be concerned about our LBs? Does everyone else think we will be OK? I don't want to be JUST OK. I want to fix our defense. That is why I am concerned about Marvin releasing Simmons without bring someone in to help.

[quote name='Rick' post='451700' date='Mar 6 2007, 03:45 PM']He did well as a part-time player last year. However, I believe Simmons is a better day-to-day player than Miller. Since we have not upgraded with new and improved LBs since Simmons was released, I am getting a little concerned. I would rather have a Simmons than a Miller. I think we are in trouble with our D if we don't do something. I just don't think a rookie can fill the billet. I don't know IF we are going to draft for a LB, too.

Should I NOT be concerned about our LBs? Does everyone else think we will be OK? I don't want to be JUST OK. I want to fix our defense. That is why I am concerned about Marvin releasing Simmons without bring someone in to help.[/quote]

Of course, I wasnt saying concern shouldnt be an issue. However Simmons is at the top of the hill heading down, it was a good release. Hopefully we see them doing this more in the future. Miller is a good role player, but thats all he will ever be here, the market is crazy in FA right now and it is thin at linebacker, so it would not supprise me in the least if we drafted one.

Archived