How do you get someone to stop smoking?

My grandma was just diagnosed yesterday with terminal lung cancer.
She's been smoking since she was 13.
My grandpa since he was 12.
My dad since he was a teenager.
My 24 year old sister since she was 15.
My 21 year old brother since he was in highschool.
My 18 year old sister, who is now pregnant AGAIN.
And My borhter-in-law.

You would think by the news of my grandmother, it might be sign to them that smoking might, just might, cause cancer.

I don't want to lose my entire family to Lung cancer, so if any of you were smokers or are somkers or have loved ones who've quit please tell me how i can get them to quit.

Guest schotzee
Sorry to hear about your Grandmother OG.I don't know if there is a sure fire method of stopping an addiction.First off you have got to want to or nothing will work.Hypnosis is fairly effective,patches and such have brought mixed results.What worked for me was to simply try and try and try again.It finally came to me that I was wasting a lot of money on something that there is absolutely no benefit to.My dad quit cold turkey one day when he realized how much money it was costing him at 3 packs a day.Good luck.I do know harping on one is usually not effective.Finding a safer alternative to occupy your time and disspell boredom is essential.Many take up excessive eating which is not good either.I chose sucking on the large life savers.

Sorry to hear about your grandmother.

Take it from someone who quit after nearly 15 years and as many as 3 packs a day:

Not one of them will quit until they are damn good and ready.

Guilt won't work. Nagging won't work. Pleading won't work. There is a chance that watching your grandmother waste away won't motivate them. For me, looking down on my mother's cancer-ravaged body (and she never smoked) wasn't enough. It still took nearly 5 more years to quit for good. Nicotine is one of the most nefarious addictions in existence.

The best thing you can do is be supportive, and don't nag. My wife handled it perfectly.

If I had a dollar for every time I tried to quit but was unsuccessful I would probably have close to $1,000. But every time I would fail, my wife would just say (in so many words) "I'm dissapointed that it didn't work, and I'm worried about your health, but I'll still be here to support you the next time you try".

I recommend you do the same...

And I also highly recommend the Nicotene Lozenges for quitting. They were the only thing that worked, and I tried the gum, patch, Zyban, hypnosis, acupuncture, etc.

Guest steggyD
I just lost an aunt this last week to cancer, in her fifties. I lost an uncle a couple years ago to cancer, in his early fifties. It's sad to see people in the family still smoking after these two tragic losses, especially when you see people step outside the service to light up.

[quote name='OG_OklahomaGirl_OG' post='479960' date='Apr 30 2007, 09:00 AM']My grandma was just diagnosed yesterday with terminal lung cancer.
She's been smoking since she was 13.
My grandpa since he was 12.
My dad since he was a teenager.
My 24 year old sister since she was 15.
My 21 year old brother since he was in highschool.
My 18 year old sister, who is now pregnant AGAIN.
And My borhter-in-law.

You would think by the news of my grandmother, it might be sign to them that smoking might, just might, cause cancer.

I don't want to lose my entire family to Lung cancer, so if any of you were smokers or are somkers or have loved ones who've quit please tell me how i can get them to quit.[/quote]

Sorry to hear about all of that.

Nicotine is one of the most powerful addictions out there. The habits that go with the addiction are also very ingrained, and dificult to break, so it is something of a double whammy. As a result, you can't make anyone else quit smoking. In order to quit smoking it is something you have to really want to do yourself. There are things that can help the committed person, but most of the people I know who have quit (and my entire family quit smoking, except my grandfather who smoked until he died, so it is possible) just did it cold turkey. The Patch, and nicotine gum help. In a couple of years there will be vaccines that remove the pleasure of smoking (the company I work for is working on a vaccine like that right now).

Who knows, maybe that diagnosis will be the trigger to make it happen. Maybe you can get your family to support each other in the effort to quit (but I'll tell you, they won't be fun to be around for a couple of weeks).

Sorry to hear about your grandma.

I quit smoking 3 years ago, did it cold turkey after realizing that I was pretty much paying for something to kill me slowly. That was my wake up call. As others have said in this thread, it is highly unlikely someone will quit unless they really want to. But if they are willing, it's the oral fixation that is hardest to break. I used to chew on pens at school and work and I found that if I tried to focus on something else when my craving hit, then I would forget about the craving in a short amount of time.

Good luck to you in your quest to help your family and in turn, yourself.

[quote name='CincyInDC' post='480153' date='Apr 30 2007, 01:40 PM']1) they have to want to quit
2) hypnosis works, but only on the gullible [b](like my brother in law)[/b][/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

I agree with the rest of the smokers/reformed smokers that have already responded, OG.

Cancer runs through my family something serious, but it wasn't ever even a factor in my decision to quit smoking. For whatever reason, smokers never truly believe that it will happen to them, or that when it does happen to them, it's too late and they can't do anything about it.

I am now trying to quit. It has been a little over two weeks. My reasons for quitting are trivial compared to the "if you don't you will die" argument, but they worked for me (so far, fingers crossed). I made the decision to try and quit again (this is about the 20th time, and I'm only 29) when I realized that I was spending more money on cigarettes per month than any other expense, save the mortgage and my car. Also, the stigma of being a smoker in this non-smoking society also helps. And now that I've quit, I notice more benefits. Food tastes so much better, I don't smell like an ashtray and I generally feel better and more full of energy. Hopefully that will be enough to keep me going. That and the nicotine lozenges that Elflocko mentioned.

In short, you can't convince anyone to quit smoking. Plain and simple. If you nag, it will only cause hard feelings. Just be as supportive as possible when they try.

[quote name='OG_OklahomaGirl_OG' post='480173' date='Apr 30 2007, 02:01 PM']Thanks, you guys.
I'm worried about my dad, we are really really close and he allready has the "smokers cough"..it makes me cry even thinking about him ending up with cancer or something.
[b]BTW i just got suspended from school.[/b][/quote]

:thumbsdown: :onoudidnt:

[quote name='OG_OklahomaGirl_OG' post='480184' date='Apr 30 2007, 02:14 PM']I had my "oh-so-distractive" nosering in.
which got me sent home.[/quote]

wait...so did you get sent home for the day or suspended?

Do you go to catholic school or OK just that screwed up

I've never smoked but my wife did for several years when we were first married and I hated it, I tried to persuade her to stop for years and she finally wanted to stop herself and she used wellbuteran which worked. Just like Jason said if the person is 100% commited then they aren't going to be able to quit.

Thing is once the person quits its so easy to get back started again especially if theres a lot of drama going on, stress and aggravation along with alcohol consumption sometimes makes it impossible to quit.

[quote name='Storm' post='480256' date='Apr 30 2007, 03:29 PM']I've never smoked but my wife did for several years when we were first married and I hated it, I tried to persuade her to stop for years and she finally wanted to stop herself and she used wellbuteran which worked. Just like Jason said if the person is 100% commited then they aren't going to be able to quit.

Thing is once the person quits its so easy to get back started again especially if theres a lot of drama going on, stress and aggravation along with alcohol consumption sometimes makes it impossible to quit.[/quote]

Yah my dad & his friends tryed to quit and did for several months, but his friend started back up again. So then my dad started shortly after.
My dad is also a drinker.
So when he drinks he smokes.
and vice versa.

Sorry to hear about your loss. The best way I could think of to help them make a decision to quite is to have all the information you can get right there where they sit every evening. Try to get information not only on the bad of smoking, but get the good of quiting as well. Good luck to you.

coming from someone that has smoked and quit on a few occasions (longest quitting streak 2 years) the ONLY way to stop 100% and for good is cold turkey with the determination to do so. fear is a great motivator and given your situation it might be enough for someone to get into the mindframe to quit by learning from others mistakes. Id say that you have no power over what someone else chooses to do with their body so you will just have to hope that they get the courage to do it on their own.

Guest ONYX

[quote name='OG_OklahomaGirl_OG' post='480455' date='Apr 30 2007, 09:33 PM']Welllll, of course i did.
BUT he deserved it.[/quote]

:onoudidnt:
[color="#FF0000"][b]
OG, what are we going to do with you?[/b][/color]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//33.gif[/img]

Archived