ONYX's State of Bengal Nation Poll

Guest ONYX

State of Bengal Nation Poll  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Does Chris Henry deserve an apology for what happened this week?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you support Garry Edmondson treatment and opinion of Henry?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you believe police departments surrounding the Greater Cincinnati area, are guilty of racial profiling?

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. Excluding the Henry suspension, will all this stuff have an impact on the Bengals once they hit the field?

• Yes
    • No
  5. 5. Is Marvin Lewis on the "hot seat", like some national media outlets are trying to suggest?

• Yes
    • No
  6. 6. Has all this drama taken away some of your excitement or hopes for 2007?

• Yes
    • No

Guest ONYX
[quote name='Nati Ice' post='491274' date='May 25 2007, 08:40 PM']i thought marvin accused the nky police of targeting his players, not blacks

what does racial profiling have to do with this situation other than being part of a manufactured story by espn?[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]I agree, Marvin mentioned nothing about race during his interview.

But you know and I know, young black men rolling in chromed out, pimped out rides can be
magnets for the police. And it does not matter if they are "ridin' dirty" or not.

A lot of Bengal players are young black men who roll in chromed out, pimped out rides. Which
begs the question, is part of the reason why some of the Bengal players keep having contact with the police,
is because they are targeted more?[/b][/color]

Good poll, Onyx.
I think that Henry was profiled, but I also think that it could be argued that based on where he was and what he had already done, that the profiling was justified. It wasn't just some random black dude in a pimped-out Escalade. They ran his plate, knew it was Chris, and based on the fact that he had some priors and was hanging out in the most crack-infested part of the city, the reasonable assumption was that he was up to no good, and so they followed him, and when he "broke the law" (ahem), they used it as an excuse to pull him over.
Right or wrong, it happens all the time to people of all colors.
When I lived in Fort Thomas ( a Northern KY suburb and former military base), I worked nights at a restaurant and often did not get home until 2:00am. I cannot tell you how many times the cops followed me home as I pulled off I-471 heading home from Cincy after work, the assumption being, of course, that since it was so late, I must be a DUI driver.
Fort Thomas is a sleepy town with literally no crime. The cops have nothing better to do than bust the random DUI or kids out late smoking a joint in the car.
Was I profiled? Yes. Was it justified? Now that I look back on it, yes, because there were MANY times when if they'd actually pulled me over, I might have received a DUI, but I obeyed all the spped limits and traffic laws, so it was all good.
I dunno. henry got screwed by the Kenton County Asst DA, not the cops, imo.

Face it, there have been enough crimes commited by young black men in pimped out rides to warrant suspicion when you see it. That is not racial profiling.

If a lot of white men were being arrested driving VW Beetles then those cars would be targets just the same. I hate that fucking race card.

Another one that gets on my ass is being more cautious around middle eastern people in airports. In all reality the majority of terrorism is commited by people that fit that description. It's impossible to look into someone's heart and see if they are a terrorist or not. You gotta go with what history tells you. Sure, it's not the nicest thing in the world for middle eastern people to be stopped and checked more thoroughly but with what history shows us there is plenty of reason for it.

That would be the same if there was cake missing from the counter and my big fat ass was sitting in the living room. Just because I'm fat doesn't mean I ate that cake but I'll sure as hell be the first person people ask "Did you eat that?"
MULLY
I think CH deserves an apology though

Guest ONYX
[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='491283' date='May 25 2007, 09:03 PM']Face it, there have been enough crimes commited by young black men in pimped out rides to warrant suspicion when you see it. That is not racial profiling.

If a lot of white men were being arrested driving VW Beetles then those cars would be targets just the same. I hate that fucking race card.

Another one that gets on my ass is being more cautious around middle eastern people in airports. In all reality the majority of terrorism is commited by people that fit that description. It's impossible to look into someone's heart and see if they are a terrorist or not. You gotta go with what history tells you. Sure, it's not the nicest thing in the world for middle eastern people to be stopped and checked more thoroughly but with what history shows us there is plenty of reason for it.

That would be the same if there was cake missing from the counter and my big fat ass was sitting in the living room. Just because I'm fat doesn't mean I ate that cake but I'll sure as hell be the first person people ask "Did you eat that?"
MULLY
I think CH deserves an apology though[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]Ok Mully,

So basically what you are saying is that if me and you were both driving very nice cars, it's ok for to the police
to pull me over for no apparent reason besides that I am black and driving in a nice car and not you?

Because of what some other young black guys did?

And it's ok that security strip searches Rumble every time he takes a flight for no apparent reason
other than being of Middle eastern descent and not you?

Because of what some other Middle Eastern guys did?[/b] [/color]

[quote name='ONYX' post='491285' date='May 25 2007, 07:13 PM'][color="#FF0000"][b]Ok Mully,

So basically what you are saying is that if me and you were both driving very nice cars, it's ok for to the police
to pull me over for no apparent reason besides that I am black and driving in a nice car and not you?

And it's ok that security strip searches Rumble every time he takes a flight for no apparent reason

Because of what some other Middle Eastern guys did?[/b] [/color][/quote]
Describe another alternative that would be effective in this instance.
We KNOW that the perpetrators of 9-11 were radical Muslims (well, unless you ask BJ anyway)
So what to do?
How would you handle this if YOU were the head of the TSA?

Guest ONYX
[quote name='Bunghole' post='491289' date='May 25 2007, 09:26 PM']Describe another alternative that would be effective in this instance.
We KNOW that the perpetrators of 9-11 were radical Muslims (well, unless you ask BJ anyway)
So what to do?
How would you handle this if YOU were the head of the TSA?[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]There is all kinds of ways to improve security besides racially profiling.

Hows about better training and testing for airport security? Hows about putting a plain clothed
armed law enforcment officer on flights? Of course a lot of these ideas would take much effort
and money, so the lazy shallow response will always be, "just watch the Arabs".

The irony in the profiling debate is that African Americans, Hispanics and Arab Americans for example make up
a small percentage of this countries overall population, yet the ratio to the population of minorites and the
times they are arrested are staggering. Which in fact proves that racial profiling has been going on for a
long time and is every where.

Alright Bunghole, let me ask you this, should young white males be stopped and searched anytime they
are around a Federal building or when an Olympic event is held in this country?[/b][/color]

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='491273' date='May 26 2007, 12:39 AM']Not a fan of question 2.... I don't support his treatment of Henry, but I support his opinion to some regard.[/quote]

Everyones entitled to their opinion but since he is an elected official he should show some professionalism and keep his opinion to himself, not only should he apologize to Chris Henry he should apologize to the citizens that voted him in and resign immediatly.

Cincinnati Cops racial profile without a doubt, if you're a white guy and in Over the Rhine then you are going to be profiled as a drug buyer.

As far as Marvin being on the hot seat, that is absurd, Marvin is head coach of the Bengals until he chooses to leave, three 8-8 seasons will get you a lifetime contract from Mike Brown.

[quote name='ONYX' post='491292' date='May 25 2007, 09:41 PM'][color="#FF0000"][b]
Alright Bunghole, let me ask you this, should young white males be stopped and searched anytime they
are around a Federal building or when an Olympic event is held in this country?[/b][/color][/quote]

please tell me this isn't truely your debate argument....

Guest LeakyBengal
[quote name='Storm' post='491300' date='May 25 2007, 10:17 PM']Everyones entitled to their opinion but since he is an elected official he should show some professionalism and keep his opinion to himself, not only should he apologize to Chris Henry he should apologize to the citizens that voted him in and resign immediatly.

Cincinnati Cops racial profile without a doubt, if you're a white guy and in Over the Rhine then you are going to be profiled as a drug buyer.

[b]As far as Marvin being on the hot seat, that is absurd, Marvin is head coach of the Bengals until he chooses to leave, three 8-8 seasons will get you a lifetime contract from [s]Mike Brown.[/s] the fans [/b][/quote]

Guest ONYX
[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='491301' date='May 25 2007, 10:18 PM']please tell me this isn't truely your debate argument....[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]I don't want to turn this thread in the wrong direction, but to answer your question, oh yes it can be.

If anyone wants to debate it, they can talk to me about it over at the J&D forum.[/b][/color]

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='491273' date='May 25 2007, 08:39 PM']Not a fan of question 2.... I don't support his treatment of Henry, but I support his opinion to some regard.[/quote]

Can you clarify in which reguard?

[quote name='ONYX' post='491285' date='May 25 2007, 09:13 PM'][color="#FF0000"][b]Ok Mully,

Is it right? Hell no.

But it is the unfortunate reality of the world we live in.

[quote name='Storm' post='491300' date='May 25 2007, 10:17 PM'][color="#FF0000"]Everyones entitled to their opinion but since he is an elected official he should show some professionalism and keep his opinion to himself, not only should he apologize to Chris Henry he should apologize to the citizens that voted him in and resign immediatly.[/color]

As far as Marvin being on the hot seat, that is absurd, Marvin is head coach of the Bengals until he chooses to leave, three 8-8 seasons will get you a lifetime contract from Mike Brown.[/quote]

Agreed and had he appologized in the 1st place, I dont think Id call for the resignation. (Not that it matters with me living out of the area)

Guest ONYX
[quote name='Jamie_B' post='491312' date='May 25 2007, 10:48 PM']Is it right? Hell no.

But it is the unfortunate reality of the world we live in.[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]Reminds me of that Bruce Hornsby song.[/b][/color]

Guest Whodey420
1) Dont know about an apology but someone should be held accountable to the public for whoever
it was that leaked this information to the media.

2) No. Garry Edmonson is a cocksmoker and should be hung on the town square for shits and giggles.

3) All police departments do racial profiling. And it doesnt matter what race you are either. No doubt in
my mind about that.

4) The player's that are truly professional shouldnt be affected by any of this at all.

5) I dont think Marvin is on the supposed "Hot Seat" but he needs to shut the fuck up about some stuff,
ie: his comments on the Dan Patrick Show. He's a head football coach, not a public relations director.

6) No, same shit different year. Just hoping for different results this time around.

Guest ONYX
[color="#FF0000"][b]I just wanted to add some more perspective on the profiling thing.

I am a black male, 33 years old, I am a registered voter, earn about 60,000 a year, dont drink
or smoke, no arrests and no criminal record.

I have lived in Cincinnati my entire life, and I cant tell you how many times I have been pulled over by
the police for virtually nothing. I cant tell you how many times that I have been followed by store security,
ranging from stores in upscale neighborhoods to your local Big Lots when I have never stole anything.

It has happen to me so many times, I expect it.

When the police pull me over, I hear things like......

"Your light over your licsense plate has gone out.......where are you going, where are you coming from,
do you have any drugs in the car?"

"Your sticker on your licsense plate is crooked.......where are you going , where are you coming from,
you dont have any weapons in the car, do ya?"

I have not had a traffic ticket since 1996, yet I get stopped about 5 times a year.

I know and other minorities already know how it is here in Cincinnati.

So does Marvin.

Cincinnati does not operate like New York, Chicago or Atlanta. Cincinnati is like Mayberry compared
to those places. As if Larry Flynt, Maplethorpe, Marge Schott and the Timothy Thomas riots was not
proof already.

I already know this, So does Marvin. So what does this got to do with the players you ask?

These players are extremely young, and young people have a tendency to do stupid things. Now if you
factor in that a lot of these players didn't have the same kind of stable upbringing and parenting like
a lot of us here have been fortunate to have........

AND

the fact they dont have the financial restrictions that would prevent them from doing ill advised things.....

AND

the fact that these players are not from Cincinnati and do not have any idea how the police or city
operate here.

One can understand better where Marvin is coming from.

Also, his interview the other day was unfortunate because for once, Marvin was "keeping it real", and
he got blasted for it. I promise you now, if you thought Marvin did not say much or did not open up before,
you have seen nothing yet. For now on, Marvin's words will be even shorter and even more measured.[/b][/color]

Guest BengalBacker

[quote name='sneaky' post='491285' date='May 25 2007, 09:13 PM'][color="#FF0000"][b]Ok Mully,

And it's ok to bet somebody $100 that the DC sniper was white?

Because of what some other white guys did?

:whistle:

Guest ONYX

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='491354' date='May 26 2007, 02:23 AM']And it's ok to bet somebody $100 that the DC sniper was white?

Because of what some other white guys did?
:whistle:[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]I have no idea what you are talking about. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//angel.gif[/img] [/b][/color]

Archived