Best player to start a franchise with

Carson would be a good choice as would Peyton.

Both were No. 1 picks because their teams hit rock bottom the year before. So they've kinda proven they are guys to select first in building a franchise.

Tom Brady was too big of diamond in the rough, but certainly a HOF Qb.

You've got to consider the mental make up and work ethic that gets these QBs past the first horrible starts and seasons. It's been proven some talented QBs can't get past the pressure and money to build a franchise.

Nobody was expecting jack shit from Tom Brady and he had a solid team around him when he hit the starting line up.

I read that article earlier this morning and I guess I thought they all had valid arguments, except that dickhead Theismann... After listening to that asshat this past year I just tune his opinions out.

Scharm... the argument is based on right now, at the player's current age / physical condition which one player would you start a franchise with. Carson is hard to bet against and anyone that mentioned Tony Romo is an idiot. I can see the the downside to Peyton and Tom's age where you're not going to be competitive for 4-5 years and those guys would be into their mid to late 30's.

Mine would come down to either Ladanian or Carson, leaning strongly to Carson. Those players can single-handedly take over a game and control momentum and flow.

Guest WhoDeyForever
I'm going to have to go with Mosley here...Palmer is going to be such a great QB for years to come and in my opinion will be better than Brady and Manning..Not sure why you would start with Merriman though..Yes he is a beast but I can't see myself starting with a linebacker.

[quote name='joshua' post='492498' date='May 29 2007, 06:14 PM']I'd pick Carson over Brady or Manning. Not because I'm a homer, but because he has more years ahead of him.[/quote]

I would argue he also has more natural talent than either of them. Brady and Manning are [b]surrounded[/b] by more talent, for now, but mano-a-mano, I'll take Carson over either of them.

Guest LeakyBengal
I'd pick Carson as well. Brady and Manning also benefit from weaker divisions. Carson has to compete with two tough teams twice a season while Brady and Manning don't really have anyone in the divisions that can compete. The Jets did well last year but they aren't the Stealers or the Ravens.

[quote name='Jason' post='492562' date='May 29 2007, 07:35 PM']I would argue he also has more natural talent than either of them. Brady and Manning are [b]surrounded[/b] by more talent, for now, but mano-a-mano, I'll take Carson over either of them.[/quote]

I don't know about that statement. We can stack up pretty well against the Colts offensive talent and we have more talent than the Pats on O.

Guest Claptonrocks
Id choose Palmer over Manning because of the age difference.....
This crap about Manning and Brady play in weaker division as a reason is bunk though.
One only has to watch both of them play to realize they are great QB's and will both be in the HOF...

As for Palmer having more "natural" talent than Manning...how so??? He isnt any more accurate...he hasnt accumulated the rushing yards or TD's that Manning had when he was younger....

Palmer is a good one but lets dont try and bullshit the bullshiters on here and throw things out there that cant be justified...

That said, Palmer is in their class as being the best QBs' in the league ..." The Big Three" you might say..

No other QB is within reach of these three right now..

Guest Bengals1181
Peyton only has 3 more rushing td's on 50 more attempts. He also didn't play a year recovering from a knee injury.

Guest Claptonrocks
[quote name='Bengals1181' post='492596' date='May 29 2007, 10:22 PM']Peyton only has 3 more rushing td's on 50 more attempts. He also didn't play a year recovering from a knee injury.[/quote]

what are you talking about? 3 more TD's in his carreer? 50 more in his career?
Who didnt play a year?

Guest LeakyBengal
[quote name='Claptonrocks' post='492587' date='May 29 2007, 10:02 PM']Id choose Palmer over Manning because of the age difference.....
This crap about Manning and Brady play in weaker division as a reason is bunk though.
One only has to watch both of them play to realize they are great QB's and will both be in the HOF...

As for Palmer having more "natural" talent than Manning...how so??? He isnt any more accurate...he hasnt accumulated the rushing yards or TD's that Manning had when he was younger....

Palmer is a good one but lets dont try and bullshit the bullshiters on here and throw things out there that cant be justified...

That said, Palmer is in their class as being the best QBs' in the league ..." The Big Three" you might say..

No other QB is within reach of these three right now..[/quote]

so competing for the division against the steelers and ravens is easier or just as easy as competing against the jags, bills, dolphins, texans and titans.

Guest Claptonrocks
[quote name='LeakyBengal' post='492610' date='May 29 2007, 10:41 PM']so competing for the division against the steelers and ravens is easier or just as easy as competing against the jags, bills, dolphins, texans and titans.[/quote]
Last I checked the Stools were 8-8 same as the Bills ..same as the Titans...same as the Jags ..
Its true the Ravens were a better team than the beforementioned but we split with them.
If your going to list the Jags, Titans and the lowly Texans then stick the crappy Browns on our schedule...

Guest LeakyBengal
[quote name='Claptonrocks' post='492710' date='May 30 2007, 02:21 AM']Last I checked the Stools were 8-8 same as the Bills ..same as the Titans...same as the Jags ..
Its true the Ravens were a better team than the beforementioned but we split with them.
If your going to list the Jags, Titans and the lowly Texans then stick the crappy Browns on our schedule...[/quote]

Last I checked we were 8-8 too. We must suck as well because the record really defines the team.

I mentioned them by not mentioning them.

Guest Bengals1181
[quote name='Claptonrocks' post='492601' date='May 29 2007, 10:29 PM']what are you talking about? 3 more TD's in his carreer? 50 more in his career?
Who didnt play a year?[/quote]

in their first 4 years, Peyton has 3 more rushing TD's but he also has 50 more rushing attempts. He also didn't play a year on a less than 100% knee.

Guest schotzee
Definitely between Palmer and Tomlinson for me.Edge to Palmer.When the choice is between a gifted QB or gifted RB ,I think a RB is definitely easier to find later,albeit maybe not same class as LT,but still.As far as Manning,I go with the age factor.Brady,I wouldn't say he's a system QB ,but he definitely has a superior supporting cast all the way around(coaches,ownership,management ),so I would question his abilities in another environment.

Guest Bengals1181
[quote name='schotzee' post='492748' date='May 30 2007, 09:06 AM']Definitely between Palmer and Tomlinson for me.Edge to Palmer.When the choice is between a gifted QB or gifted RB ,I think a RB is definitely easier to find later,albeit maybe not same class as LT,but still.As far as Manning,I go with the age factor.Brady,I wouldn't say he's a system QB ,but he definitely has a superior supporting cast all the way around(coaches,ownership,management ),so I would question his abilities in another environment.[/quote]

agreed. It is easier to find a quality RB than it is to find a quality QB.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='492772' date='May 30 2007, 10:21 AM']I wonder why toothlessburger didnt make their list.
[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img][/quote]

Hey, he's about to get a monster contract with the Steelers. Rooney clearly knows what's going on--he's tapped into the pulse of Steeltown USA's beating heart. It's not like he's going senile or anything.

[quote name='Actium' post='492776' date='May 30 2007, 11:30 AM']Hey, he's about to get a monster contract with the Steelers. Rooney clearly knows what's going on--he's tapped into the pulse of Steeltown USA's beating heart. It's not like he's going senile or anything.[/quote]

:thumbsup:

[quote name='Patmo' post='492960' date='May 30 2007, 04:36 PM']To start a franchise go QB,C,LT,DT,MLB,S,CB,DE,DE,WR,RB[/quote]

Not bad but I'd do this..

QB, LT or RT depending on if your QB is left or right handed (need to protect his blind side), C, DT, WR #1, MLB, S, DE, DE, the other T, #2 WR, if your running a 4-3 another DT, Mike, Will, both Gs, RB, TE...

then teams and depth.

[quote name='Patmo' post='492960' date='May 30 2007, 04:36 PM']To start a franchise go QB,C,LT,DT,MLB,S,CB,DE,DE,WR,RB[/quote]

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='492964' date='May 30 2007, 04:45 PM']Not bad but I'd do this..

QB, LT or RT depending on if your QB is left or right handed (need to protect his blind side), C, DT, WR #1, MLB, S, DE, DE, the other T, #2 WR, if your running a 4-3 another DT, Mike, Will, both Gs, RB, TE...

then teams and depth.[/quote]

I think RB needs to be higher on the list. If you look at the last several SB winners, one thing they had in common was they ran the ball well.

Archived