Is Jay Bruce the next Ken Griffey Jr.?

[quote][size=3][b]Is Jay Bruce the next Ken Griffey Jr.? [/b]
Sweet has high hopes for new Bat [/size]
By C.L. Brown
cbrown@courier-journal.com
The Courier-Journal

Rick Sweet's career as a manager launched the same time Ken Griffey Jr. made his minor league debut.

Sweet managed Griffey at the Seattle Mariners' Single-A affiliate in Bellingham, Wash. Griffey was fresh out of high school in 1987 and didn't turn 18 until after Bellingham completed its season.

Now Sweet, in his third season with the Louisville Bats, believes he saw a Griffey clone when Jay Bruce was promoted from Double-A Chattanooga on Thursday.

Sweet first spent time with Bruce during spring training when he was just 19. Bruce turned 20 in April and has been turning heads as the Cincinnati Reds' top outfield prospect.

"The only young player at 18-19 that I've seen that I would consider maybe a better player than Jay Bruce is Ken Griffey Jr.," Sweet said. "I had Junior also at the same age. Jay Bruce is close to that category, if not at that category. Time will tell."

Bruce joined Bats first baseman Joey Votto in the Major League Baseball Futures Game, which features the best minor league talent, held over the All-Star break in San Francisco.

Bruce started the season with Class-A Sarasota, where he hit .325 with 11 homers, 27 doubles and 49 RBIs. He spent 16 games with Chattanooga, hitting .333 with four homers and 15 RBIs before being sent to Louisville.

"Sometimes I've got to pinch myself a little bit," Bruce said. "It's happening so quickly and everything. The bottom line is they obviously think that I can perform at the levels that they put me at, so that gives me confidence.

"It's kind of weird right now, but it's a good weird. I like it."

Bruce's tenure with Louisville isn't guaranteed to be a long one. He could get sent back to Chattanooga when several Reds, including Josh Hamilton and Juan Castro, come off the disabled list and force roster moves.

Then again, the way Bruce has rocketed to Triple-A this season, by then he could solidify himself in the lineup. Bruce's first game with the Bats showed why he's been so highly touted.

He hit a towering solo homer off Scranton/Wilkes-Barre pitcher Chase Wright. He also gunned down Angel Chavez at home with a throw Bruce thought he was late making.

"I try to look at every opportunity as a step closer to the big leagues and trying to get to the big leagues," Bruce said. "I'm going to make the best out of it and learn from guys here. It's going to be a great experience for me."[/quote]

[url="http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070715/SPORTS07/707150568/1002/SPORTS"]http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.d...568/1002/SPORTS[/url]

Guest WhoDeyForever
[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='510994' date='Jul 15 2007, 12:29 PM']kill/release/trade Freel. Lets bring up bruce.[/quote]
I'd rather trade Dunn..Everyday he is not traded, the more I hate him..

Hopper > Dunn and Freel combined

[quote name='WhoDeyForever' post='511017' date='Jul 15 2007, 02:25 PM']I'd rather trade Dunn..Everyday he is not traded, the more I hate him..

Hopper > Dunn and Freel combined[/quote]

Free Agent signing >...................................... Hopper and Freel

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
How about we get rid of Dunns dumbass. Then offer the Mets Lohse/Belisle and Weathers (and add a little more if we need to) and ask for Milledge. They dont have room for him and that is why he spent a lot of time in AAA. Now he is hitting, but they have trouble getting him into the lineup. They could always use the pitching and some of the people around baseball have said that Lohse has a market this year and that Weathers is a guy a lot of teams are interested in.

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='511059' date='Jul 15 2007, 03:45 PM']How about we get rid of Dunns dumbass. Then offer the Mets Lohse/Belisle and Weathers (and add a little more if we need to) and ask for Milledge. They dont have room for him and that is why he spent a lot of time in AAA. Now he is hitting, but they have trouble getting him into the lineup. They could always use the pitching and some of the people around baseball have said that Lohse has a market this year and that Weathers is a guy a lot of teams are interested in.[/quote]

Were you thinking about that during the game today because I had this same trade in mind. Milledge, Hamilton, and Bruce would be a pretty sick outfield for years to come. Although ive heard on broadcasts that Milledge is a bit of a big headed, I think he would provide a sense of swagger and cockyness this team really needs.

[quote name='dieselman44' post='511135' date='Jul 15 2007, 06:30 PM']Were you thinking about that during the game today because I had this same trade in mind. Milledge, Hamilton, and Bruce would be a pretty sick outfield for years to come. Although ive heard on broadcasts that Milledge is a bit of a big headed, I think he would provide a sense of swagger and cockyness this team really needs.[/quote]

I can't remember what he did, but last year his teammates stole his clothes from his locker and replaced them with dresses and a note saying "Know your place, rook." I think it was when he hit a game-tying home run at Shea and then ran back to his place in the outfield high-fiving all the fans along the foul line. I'm not entirely sure we should be dealing our one semi-reliable bullpenner, though Milledge would be nice.

Oh, and the next Ken Griffey Jr is Justin Upton.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='dieselman44' post='511135' date='Jul 15 2007, 06:30 PM']Were you thinking about that during the game today because I had this same trade in mind. Milledge, Hamilton, and Bruce would be a pretty sick outfield for years to come. Although ive heard on broadcasts that Milledge is a bit of a big headed, I think he would provide a sense of swagger and cockyness this team really needs.[/quote]
i been thinkin about it since last year when milledge came up (just different players this time). i posted something last year about trading for milledge and it was discussed for a while, but the casual reds fans who post in here didnt really know who milledge was at the time. Also Phillips had the same knock and Griffey put Phillips in his place and now Phillips is Mr Consistent and quietly becoming our team leader.

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='511172' date='Jul 15 2007, 08:23 PM']I can't remember what he did, but last year his teammates stole his clothes from his locker and replaced them with dresses and a note saying "Know your place, rook." I think it was when he hit a game-tying home run at Shea and then ran back to his place in the outfield high-fiving all the fans along the foul line. I'm not entirely sure we should be dealing our one semi-reliable bullpenner, though Milledge would be nice.

Oh, and the next Ken Griffey Jr is Justin Upton.[/quote]
Weathers is 100% traded this year. He is 37 years old and contenders really want him. He is not an answer for this teams future so trade him while his stock is as high as it will ever be. The Mets have an overcrowded OF and need pitching and we need to get younger. If we get a stud like Milledge then we can afford to trade Dunn for less value and just pick up a couple decent young MRs (which is max of what we would get for him). Then we can probably pull off a very talented (not elite) AA arm for Hatteberg who can probably be up in a year or two as more bullpen help. This would work out so great for us. We would have 2 MRs from Dunn, 1 in a year or two from Hatty, Bray, Majewski (maybe), Burton (who i think has a future here), and throw in an FA signing or one of our MRs we already have and that is an above average bullpen. Easier said than done, but i think it can be done.

Weathers trade value is as high as it will ever be....

And why the hate for freel? He doesnt bat .300, and sometimes makes mistakes on the basepaths, but I havent seen a ball player who plays the game with more enthusiasm and hustle than since Pete did all those years ago. Especially on this shitty team (and they are only shitty because all of them dont have the hustle and desire as freel. If they did, this team would be a hell of alot better)

I do like Hopper too, but wonder why he is so old and just coming on... Maybe a fluke year?

And yeah, get Dunn the fuck out of here.

[quote name='big_dish' post='511422' date='Jul 16 2007, 03:03 PM'][b]Weathers trade value is as high as it will ever be....[/b]

And why the hate for freel? He doesnt bat .300, and sometimes makes mistakes on the basepaths, but I havent seen a ball player who plays the game with more enthusiasm and hustle than since Pete did all those years ago. Especially on this shitty team (and they are only shitty because all of them dont have the hustle and desire as freel. If they did, this team would be a hell of alot better)

I do like Hopper too, but wonder why he is so old and just coming on... Maybe a fluke year?

And yeah, get Dunn the fuck out of here.[/quote]
Doesn't it sound weird saying that? Last year Weathers was trash, and now he's the best we have?!?!
That to me speaks volumes about our pitching situation. It's pretty bleak in the pen and doesn't look to get better anytime soon.
And, the Mackinnon honeymoon is over. The Reds lost three games to a winning team that really isn't more talented than them (well, on offense anyway) that they SHOULD have been able to pull off.
Let the fire sale begin.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='big_dish' post='511422' date='Jul 16 2007, 05:03 PM']Weathers trade value is as high as it will ever be....

And yeah, get Dunn the fuck out of here.[/quote]
Freel took forever to get to the majors (just like hopper). Freel may bring hustle and enthusiasm, but with that he also brings severe stupidity. Brandon Phillips gives 110% at all times and makes intelligent decisions as well. Phillips fucks with the pitchers when on the bases and gets thrown out/picked off WAY less. He is a gold glover(which he will get screwed out of) in the field who uses his hustle to get to balls and make plays most 2B cant even imagine. Freels hustle and enthusiasm brings more negatives than positives. Also most of the time in CF he isnt actually making amazing plays. He slows up so he CAN dive and sometimes fucks us because he doesnt catch it or misjudges it. We ended up losing a game this week because he gets HORRIBLE jumps on the ball because he has no ability to read it off the bat and didnt get to a ball that a normal CF would have. Josh Hamilton puts him to shame in CF. Hamilton also works his ass off and always tries.

I would take Phillips and Hamiltons hustle and enthusiasm over Freels anyday because their hustle and enthusiasm comes with intelligence and isnt reckless. If we had 25 guys with Phillips and Hamiltons enthusiasm and hustle then we would be a tough team to beat.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='511436' date='Jul 16 2007, 05:35 PM']Doesn't it sound weird saying that? Last year Weathers was trash, and now he's the best we have?!?!
That to me speaks volumes about our pitching situation. It's pretty bleak in the pen and doesn't look to get better anytime soon.
And, the Mackinnon honeymoon is over. The Reds lost three games to a winning team that really isn't more talented than them (well, on offense anyway) that they SHOULD have been able to pull off.
Let the fire sale begin.[/quote]
1) Weathers is an asset to ANY team in MLB this year. He has always been a great MR and setup man. He just isnt a closer. This year he has been more successful. As an MR or Setup man he has always been quality.

2) The Mets are way more talented than the Reds. The Reds cant match David Wright and Jose Reyes, not to mention Carlos Beltran as well. Our counter is Phillips, Griffey and then ??? If Edwin would ipmrove upon or match what he did last year then it would be a big difference. The Mets are way more talented than we are though.

• 3 weeks later...
I went to the dragons game tonight and Stubbs was pretty good. The guy had a opposite field double first at bat and then he crushed one opposite field to the warning track and hit another one right on the button. His numbers aren't great but he could end up being a helluva player. He was also playing Center will he get moved to right when he eventually makes it to the show?

DeJesus relieved and he was throwign some heat. He struck out at least 5 guys i would imagine. He should get moved to sarasota i would think.

[quote name='JC' post='521629' date='Aug 4 2007, 11:10 PM']I went to the dragons game tonight and Stubbs was pretty good. The guy had a opposite field double first at bat and then he crushed one opposite field to the warning track and hit another one right on the button. His numbers aren't great but he could end up being a helluva player. He was also playing Center will he get moved to right when he eventually makes it to the show?

DeJesus relieved and he was throwign some heat. He struck out at least 5 guys i would imagine. He should get moved to sarasota i would think.[/quote]
the future OF is Bruce in LF, Stubbs in CF, Hamilton in RF.

Stubbs better turn out better than the blowhard he has been so far, especially since he was picked a few spots before Lincecum. I read that last year, not only did he suck, but the manner in which he sucked did not look promising at all - the percentage of his swings which felt nothing but air was very high, and supposedly a high swing-and-miss rate is an indication of bad things.

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='521858' date='Aug 5 2007, 05:00 PM']Stubbs better turn out better than the blowhard he has been so far, especially since he was picked a few spots before Lincecum. I read that last year, not only did he suck, but the manner in which he sucked did not look promising at all - the percentage of his swings which felt nothing but air was very high, and supposedly a high swing-and-miss rate is an indication of bad things.[/quote]
tracy jones (i know he is a fuck, but he knows talent pretty well) said he liked what he saw in stubbs. said he has a good swing and just needs time.

whens the last time the reds were wrong about an OF? im sure he will be fine.

Archived