BENGALS666

Soundgarden defeats Van Halen  

29 members have voted

1. 1. POLL CLOSED

• VAN HALEN
    • SOUNDGARDEN

SOUNDGARDEN defeats Van Halen

Voting closes Friday @ 6pm
(upcoming weekend battles will last 48 hours)

[b]FINALS: ROUND 1 [/b]
HENDRIX wins (Alice in Chains eliminated)
SOUNDGARDEN wins (Van Halen eliminated)
Pink Floyd vs Aerosmith (current)
AC/DC vs Lynyrd Skynyrd

Round 2 Finalists:
Jimi Hendrix
Soundgarden

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='517128' date='Jul 26 2007, 07:58 PM']There is no way on earth that Soundgarden should ever beat out Van Halen.
MULLY[/quote]

:rockon: I'da never guessed that!

If we were talking Van Hagar exclusively I'd be voting Soundgarden.. But VH's first 4 records are the stuff of legend...

[quote name='BENGALS666' post='517132' date='Jul 27 2007, 10:01 AM']:rockon: I'da never guessed that!

If we were talking Van Hagar exclusively I'd be voting Soundgarden.. But VH's first 4 records are the stuff of legend...[/quote]

Exactly. When DLR was fronting them they were a machine. When Bette Mid......er.....Sammy Hagar took over they went bubblegum.

David Lee Roth said it best.

Sammy Hagar Van Halen makes you want to drink milk and go to therapy. With David Lee Roth Van Halen you need a condom, a fire extinguisher, and a driver's side airbag.

MULLY
and for what it's worth I like Diver Down and 1984 just fine

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='517142' date='Jul 26 2007, 07:18 PM']Exactly. When DLR was fronting them they were a machine. When Bette Mid......er.....Sammy Hagar took over they went bubblegum.

David Lee Roth said it best.

Sammy Hagar Van Halen makes you want to drink milk and go to therapy. With David Lee Roth Van Halen you need a condom, a fire extinguisher, and a driver's side airbag.

MULLY
and for what it's worth I like Diver Down and 1984 just fine[/quote]
At least Soundgarden had the same frontman the whole of their existence, and it could be argued that not only was he a better singer than DLR (which he was, rock squeals and screams aside), but their subject matter was FAR more mature than the cars, girls, etc content that VH continued to plow out.
Don't get offended Mully, I LOVE old VH, but overall, I honestly believe that pound for pound, Soundgarden is the better band.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='517171' date='Jul 26 2007, 09:19 PM']I honestly believe that pound for pound, Soundgarden is the better band.[/quote]

Except maybe for that 800 pound gorilla - EVH...
Sad that Soundgarden melted down so badly in the end. They were just godawful on those last tours. That SNL appearance was hard to endure. I think they had no choice but to break up..

I think in this case I voted for whoever had better band talent. Obviously EVH rips Kim Thayil a new ass in the guitar department. Roth and Cornell are a push in the vocal department (yet I agree with Bunghole saying that Cornell's lyrics are a little better). I like Anthony better than Shepherd (gotta give props to the Jack Daniels custom bass), and Cameron slightly edges Van Halen for drums (but I think only because without listening to the music right now I can't judge).

Van Halen is declared winner solely on Eddie's guitar work anyway. No, no just kidding, I loved Soundgarden during the 90's owned all their records and everything. But I believe they are outmatched when going up against sure hall of famers Van Halen.

Soungarden!!! maybe ya gotta be little younger to want them to win. Van Halen has some great songs and all, but soundgarden has MORE great songs. Not to mention Cornell fronted 3 excellent bands, Soundgarden, Temple Of The Dog, and to a lesser extent Audioslave.

-E

[quote name='Farbeyonddriven' post='517445' date='Jul 27 2007, 11:29 AM']Soungarden!!! maybe ya gotta be little younger to want them to win. Van Halen has some great songs and all, but soundgarden has MORE great songs. Not to mention Cornell fronted 3 excellent bands, Soundgarden, Temple Of The Dog, and to a lesser extent Audioslave.
-E[/quote]

I don't think Temple of the Dog was an actual band was it? That was some a few buds getting together to make some music in honor of a lost friend (Andrew Wood)..

[quote name='BENGALS666' post='517461' date='Jul 27 2007, 01:18 PM']I don't think Temple of the Dog was an actual band was it? That was some a few buds getting together to make some music in honor of a lost friend (Andrew Wood)..[/quote]

Yeah that is pretty much what it was, but they put out an album, so that makes them a band.

-E

[quote name='BENGALS666' post='517461' date='Jul 27 2007, 01:18 PM']I don't think Temple of the Dog was an actual band was it? That was some a few buds getting together to make some music in honor of a lost friend (Andrew Wood)..[/quote]

Yes, they were a band. All of Soundgarden's albums are great but the first 3 are beyond nasty. Screaming Life, Ultramega OK and Louder Than Love.

[quote name='Farbeyonddriven' post='517445' date='Jul 28 2007, 01:29 AM']Soungarden!!! maybe ya gotta be little younger to want them to win. Van Halen has some great songs and all, but soundgarden has MORE great songs. Not to mention Cornell fronted 3 excellent bands, Soundgarden, Temple Of The Dog, and to a lesser extent Audioslave.

-E[/quote]

I beg to differ. Van Halen wrote the soundtrack for an entire generation. Whether someone likes or dislikes the lyrical content isn't the point. Van Halen ruled the rock world at one time. Soundgarden was just another great band. Doesn't matter which one you prefer, facts are facts. Soundgarden *never* reached the heights that Van Halen did.

[quote]Van Halen is an American rock band formed in the 1970s. From their debut album, Van Halen (1978) they became an influential band in American hard rock, releasing eleven studio albums,[4] selling more than 80 million albums worldwide[5] and earning the band the Guinness Book of World Records title for the most number one hits on the Billboard Mainstream Rock List.[6] According to the Recording Industry Association of America Van Halen is #19 on the list of Top Selling Artists of all time (having sold more than 56 million albums in the U.S.)[7] and is one of only five rock groups that have had two albums sell more than 10 million copies in the U.S. The band and its best known former members were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on March 12, 2007.[/quote]

Note that Van Halen was also nominated for 3 grammy's, 1 with DLR and 2 with SH, winning one of them. They also hold the record in the Guiness Book for the highest paid band for a single performance.

[quote]Soundgarden was an American rock band that formed in Seattle, Washington in 1984. Formed by Chris Cornell, Kim Thayil, and Hiro Yamamoto, Soundgarden was one of the key bands in the creation of grunge, a musical style that developed in Seattle based around their record label Sub Pop. Soundgarden was the first grunge band to sign to a major label, but they did not achieve commercial success until Seattle contemporaries Nirvana and Pearl Jam popularized grunge in the early 1990s. Soundgarden achieved its biggest success with the 1994 album Superunknown which debuted at number one on the Billboard charts and yielded the Grammy Award-winning singles "Black Hole Sun" and "Spoonman". In 1997, the band broke up due to internal strife over their creative direction.[/quote]

Soundgarden was a great band, I won't take that away from them, but they don't touch Van Halen. Only way someone could vote for them against VH is if they just don't like Van Halen. Simple as that. Thayil isn't even a pimple on Eddie Van Halen's ass when it comes to the guitar. David Lee Roth may not have the range of Cornell but when it comes to singing who's to say that this person is a better singer than this one? Unless that other person just can't carry a tune in a bucket. David Lee Roth, although not known for his range, has a very unique voice that blended well with Eddie's music. Personally, I think Dave would have been bad assed as a blues rock singer. Imagine DLR singing the opening tune on Slash's Snakepit album. That would have been bold.

Imagine David Lee Roth singing the Sammy Hagar era tunes. Wouldn't fly. Listen to Sammy, who supposedly is a much better singer than DLR, sing the old VH tunes. He ruins them. He doesn't have Dave's swagger or attitude to pull them off.
MULLY

[quote]but their [b]subject matter [/b]was FAR [b]more mature [/b]than the [b]cars, girls[/b], etc content that VH continued to plow out.[/quote] :huh:

[color="#000080"]Bung, I love you man but you need some serious help. So, I've taken the liberty with booking you into a nice little re [s]education center [/s]sort located in South East Asia. Remember Bung, I am only trying to help.[/color]

[img]http://www.generalhieu.com/GenTSBD.jpg[/img]

[i]That sounds real nice Harold, but let's go plug in the Frankenstrat and pick up where we left off yesterday on Van Halens first album.[/i]

:ninja:

[quote name='Bunghole' post='517171' date='Jul 26 2007, 10:19 PM']At least Soundgarden had the same frontman the whole of their existence, and it could be argued that not only was he a better singer than DLR (which he was, rock squeals and screams aside), [color="#FF0000"]but their subject matter was FAR more mature than the cars, girls, etc content that VH continued to plow out.[/color]
Don't get offended Mully, I LOVE old VH, but overall, I honestly believe that pound for pound, Soundgarden is the better band.[/quote]

This is exactly why I hate most 80s bands.

Mully,

Not sure if you have seen this: Interview with EVH in Dec 79' with Guitar Player Magazine.

[url="http://www.vhlinks.com/pages/interviews/evh/gp122979.php"]http://www.vhlinks.com/pages/interviews/evh/gp122979.php[/url]

Thought you might like it.

[i]GP:Any other revelations come to you on the road?

EVH: Yeah. I hate doing interviews, because they always fuck me over. They always write things that twist and bend what I say. Like Circus or Creem magazine, I do a phoner with them, and they go, "Oh, just off the record, what do you think of new wave?" And I'm such a stupid jerk, I'll tell 'em what I really think. I'll tell them, "They can't play for shit. They sound like like garage bands, but they have that feeling." And the next thing I know, I pick up the magazine, and they print it. I hate doing interviews. I just can't stand it. I just don't feel I have anything to say, because if I really say what I feel, they'll completely bend it and make me seem like I'm egoed out and that I'm God, you know.

I did an interview once with Circus magazine, and they asked me, "Who are your main influences?" I said, "Well, Clapton, you know, the usuals." And they said, "Oh, not Jimi Hendrix?" I go, "No, actually I didn't like Jimi Hendrix at all. He was too flash for me. I get off on the bluesy feeling that Clapton projected, even though I don't play like Clapton or sound like him at all." Which doesn't sound egoed out, because I don't sound like him. But when I read it back, they made it seem like, "I don't play like Clapton. I'm better than all of 'em." That's the way it read in print. So I called the guy up. I just go, "Hey, fuck you, man! That's the last time I'm doing an interview with you." Which I guess is bad to do too, but the fucked thing is the kids only know me through what they read. I feel like going door to door and going, "Hey, this is bullshit. Don't believe it." But the kids do. I ain't no extrovert. I'm a quiet person. That's probably why I do all these weird things on guitar. [/i]

I go with Soundgarden. Just Van Halen with David Lee Roth would win, but that isn't the whole story with Van Halen. I really disliked the Sammy Hagar years, and think they're nothing more than a sad, sick joke now. I think Van Halen climbed higher (and higher, straight up we'll cli... damn you Sammy Hagar!), but fell so hard it diminished the band as a whole. Soundgarden climbed, rocked, and exploded, but kept some dignity.

This is definitely an apples vs oranges matchup.. Cock rock vs. blue collar rock. Soundgarden was everything that VH wasn't and visa versa. There's a time for partyin' and a time for readin' books...

In regard to the EVH interview stuff, I ain't buying anything Ed says.. His interviews (live and in print) were always pompous ego-driven blather. Some may recall it got to a point where Ed was bagging every other band out there and they were feuding with Rush, Nugent, AC/DC etc. There's enough well known tales of Ed doing stuff like pouring a mixed drink into Geddy Lee's tape player when he was sharing some new tunes with industry-folk to write a book soley on his behaviour.. Some of it may be spin, embellishment and so on but we all know reps are usually based on truths and the drama of Ed vs Dave/Sammy/Mike Anthony/Valerie Bertinelli is probably proof that it isn't always the "other guy"...

[quote name='mongo' post='517622' date='Jul 27 2007, 03:33 PM']I go with Soundgarden. Just Van Halen with David Lee Roth would win, but that isn't the whole story with Van Halen. I really disliked the Sammy Hagar years, and think they're nothing more than a sad, sick joke now. I think Van Halen climbed higher (and higher, straight up we'll cli... damn you Sammy Hagar!), but fell so hard it diminished the band as a whole. Soundgarden climbed, rocked, and exploded, but kept some dignity.[/quote]
That's almost exactly how I feel.
And with regards to the guitarist comparison between the bands, well...that's a quite difficult comparison to make because one band (VH) was a guitar-solo band on almost every single song, and SG's music was more of that grunge style whereby the fretboard masturbation was intentionally left out on a lot of songs, or the solos were more like interludes rather than a significant portion of the song.
Do I think EVH is the more technically gifted guitar player? Probably, but SG's music never really required a lot of shredding from Thayil, whom from all accounts is a fine rock guitarist in his own right.
I absolutely LOVE the old VH albums, especially some of the non-radio songs like "Atomic Punk", "On Fire", etc, but I voted Soundgarden for the reasons I already stated in my intiial post.
I also think that if Soundgarden existed in the 1980's as they did in the 1990's, and I was a teenager choosing between the bands back then, I would have voted VH.
I have noticed that some of my tastes have changed over the years.
There is some music that I used to absolutely love 20 years ago that I almost can't stand to hear now, like Dokken.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='517642' date='Jul 27 2007, 04:53 PM']That's almost exactly how I feel.
And with regards to the guitarist comparison between the bands, well...that's a quite difficult comparison to make because one band (VH) was a guitar-solo band on almost every single song, and SG's music was more of that grunge style whereby the fretboard masturbation was intentionally left out on a lot of songs, or the solos were more like interludes rather than a significant portion of the song.
Do I think EVH is the more technically gifted guitar player? Probably, but SG's music never really required a lot of shredding from Thayil, whom from all accounts is a fine rock guitarist in his own right.
I absolutely LOVE the old VH albums, especially some of the non-radio songs like "Atomic Punk", "On Fire", etc, but I voted Soundgarden for the reasons I already stated in my intiial post.
I also think that if Soundgarden existed in the 1980's as they did in the 1990's, and I was a teenager choosing between the bands back then, I would have voted VH.
I have noticed that some of my tastes have changed over the years.
There is some music that I used to absolutely love 20 years ago that I almost can't stand to hear now, like Dokken.[/quote]

The change in taste is something that I almost fear, as I think the music you like tells you a lot about you as a person. Music affects me greatly, especially certain works in a profound way, and I fear that I will lose that as I listen to it more and more. As they say, "familiarity breeds contempt." I hope that's not the case, and it isn't so far.

I don't have a problem with gaining new favorites but I don't want to lose what I have now. I am quite a sentimentalist, actually.

[quote]I absolutely LOVE the old VH albums, especially some of the non-radio songs like "Atomic Punk", "On Fire",[/quote]

On their 2nd album "Women in Love", this song really acentuated Anthony/Eddies harmonic back-up vocals. For me, this was one of those overlooked qualities that they possessed sorta like Cesar Geronimo roaming centerfield in the 70's for the "Big Red Machine".

From Wiki:

[color="#000080"]"Women in Love" is a song by American hard rock band Van Halen that features on their second album Van Halen II released in 1979. It features 3 different introductions before David Lee Roth's vocals kick in. The first of these incorporates the artificial tapped harmonics technique which guitarist Eddie Van Halen used again on the songs "Girl Gone Bad", from MCMLXXXIV and "Aftershock" from the 1995 Balance. The song, in particular the guitar solo is very simply by Van Halen's standards and this could be partly due to the fact it was taken from an early Van Halen demo called Woman In Love most famous for being on the Gene Simmons produced demos of 1977. Many fans of the band claim they enjoy this demo version better than the song it later became. [b]The lyrical theme of Women In Love is the true story of Roth's ex-girlfriend leaving him to engage in a relationship with another female.[/b] :blink: The outro to the song has a sound similar to something that may be played by Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath.[/color]

Archived