Rock Elimination Finals Round 1: SOUNDGARDEN defeats VAN HALEN

BENGALS666

Soundgarden defeats Van Halen  

29 members have voted

1. 1. POLL CLOSED

• VAN HALEN
    • SOUNDGARDEN

[i]What happened, it was tied when I logged off way after 6:00pm and it was tied, I demand a re-count via a head count; a vote per post[/i]? :unsure:

[i]Soundgradens is pretty good, but NO they are not better than Van Halen.[/i]

[i]With the advent of Music Video's; alot of bands careers were made and some resurrected [/i](see Aerosmith).

[i]Yes, some aspects of the voting is influenced by the demographics of the generational nature; 70's/80's vs 90's and current trends. That's a given.[/i]

[b]On Van Halen[/b]

[i]I believe the inner-conflicts of the band have soiled their reputation. Eddie and DLR is simple; Eddie is one serious dude when itcomes to his music while dave wanted to be the "showman". The problem is,although his act may worked some ofthe time and actually benefitted the group; Dave's penchant for being the "Ice Cream Man" all of the time wore thin on Eddie; "Dave was was always out there acting like a clown".
Notice how they never did a Live Album.[/i]

[b]FromWiki:[/b]

[color="#000080"]Eddie Van Halen's desire to experiment with more serious songs and complex structures was at odds with Roth's pop instincts and increasingly [b]cartoonish[/b], irony-laden persona.[/color]

[i]As a business, they were the best only paleing in comparrison to Led Zepplin. VH had total control of their product, meaning their profit returns from sales of merchandise were of the highest percentages; they made my brother and I selling their ware as vendors the most money. Note: This info trickled down from the top guys that dealt with them to us.

However, having total control may have had an impact on their creativity. Meaning, the market drove them to record what they did. As Mully has alluded to, just look at their first two albums to what came out of 1984.
The big sound was there , but you could still see the difference.[/i]

[i]Contrary to what some might say, the Van hagar era was not a total train-wreck. Their music did migrate from hard-rock to more pop[/i]

[b]From Wiki:[/b]

[color="#000080"][b]All four studio albums produced during this period reached #1 on the Billboard pop music charts[/b]. Also during this time, 17 singles breached the top 12 of the mainstream rock tracks chart. In addition, Van Halen was nominated for two Grammy Awards, winning the 1991 Best Hard Rock Performance with Vocal award for the album For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge. Van Halen continued to enjoy tremendous popular success throughout the mid-90's, while many other trends and bands fell from favor, overtaken by anti-establishment "Grunge Music." In 1995 Van Halen surprised many fans by supporting Bon Jovi on their European summer stadium tour.

[u]The band's commercial success and new "Van Hagar" sound did little to woo a small contingent of fans that still held a strong resentment over Roth's departure and refused to embrace Hagar.[/u] Throughout the era, when questioned about ever working with Roth again, Eddie repeatedly said he was happier with Hagar at the helm and that "Roth was not coming back."[/color]

Eddi van halen as an "ego-maniac" and his demandingMM's in their dressing rooms with the "Brown" ones removed: Here is the deal.

[color="#000080"]Van Halen pioneered the way for the modern "Rock and Roll Show" with their extensive use of the concert technical contract rider. Although contract riders had existed before, Van Halen's use of them to specify their "wish list" (production, transportation, personal requirements etc.) was new and established a standard practice that is now used routinely throughout the music industry. [u]As one of the first major bands with a full stage show to appear in smaller cities[/u], [b]Van Halen had an extensive set of technical requirements including power availability and stage construction details that a venue had to comply with.[/b] Many venues in these markets had not previously dealt large-scale shows, and were not equipped to handle the massive stage and light show, sometimes resulting in damage to band equipment and the venue, once nearly killing a roadie. The band's demands were not limited to technical issues: their infamous contract rider specified [u]that a bowl of M&M candies, with all of the brown ones removed, was to be available in the band's dressing room.[/u] According to David Lee Roth (from his autobiography, Crazy from the Heat), this was not due to an antipathy for brown chocolate candy, [u]but was listed with the technical portion of the contract to check up on whether the venue and technical staff were correctly reading and honouring the technical and safety provisions in the contract.[/u] [b]On arrival, if brown M&M's were found in the dressing room, then the band had reason to believe other parts of the contract were also not being fulfilled, and subsequently, every line of the contract was to be double-checked, to ensure safety prior to and during the show.[/b][/color][i]Very shrewd if you ask me.[/i]

[i]So, Soundgraden defeats a Rock & Roll Hall of Famer; where have we gone wrong with our youth today[/i]. :ninja:

[quote name='Lawman' post='517972' date='Jul 28 2007, 10:35 AM'][size=3][b]THIS JUST IN FOX NEWS EXCLUSIVE[/b][/size]

[i]We have just learned that BENGALS666 is none other than[/i]:

[img]http://www.dailypepper.com/mt/archives/katherine_harris.jpg[/img][/quote]

This is fucking BS!!! WhodeyUK said it right, you "youngsters" know nothnig about VH.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='517991' date='Jul 28 2007, 04:04 PM']What I do know is the you guys have turned into your parents. "Your music stinks"..... didnt they say the same about yours? Im sure Ill hit that day someday, but guess what.... your there now.[/quote]
I have NEVER said soundgarden stinks. I am prolly as responsible as anyone for them making the final 8. All I am saying is that those voting for them over VH have no understanding of VH beyond VanHagar (which was a decent group) or VanCherone which sucked total ass.

Soundgarden never did anything that touches VH, VHII, Women and Children First or FairWarning. Or likely 1984 for that matter.

(but yes, I feel like an old man for having to point this out)

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='517993' date='Jul 28 2007, 11:10 AM']I have NEVER said soundgarden stinks. I am prolly as responsible as anyone for them making the final 8. All I am saying is that those voting for them over VH have no understanding of VH beyond VanHagar (which was a decent group) or VanCherone which sucked total ass.

Soundgarden never did anything that touches VH, VHII, Women and Children First or FairWarning. Or likely 1984 for that matter.

(but yes, I feel like an old man for having to point this out)[/quote]
Van Halen sucks man, just get over it, just like the cars of the 80's. And I'm a child of the 80's. I remember a gym teacher playing Van Halen while we did gym stuff. I thought it was the gayest music, and I still do. Maybe they had a great guitarist, but one instrument doesn't make a band. And I'm not even that big of a fan of Soundgarden, however, their music is much easier to listen to than VH.

[quote name='steggyD' post='518004' date='Jul 28 2007, 04:25 PM']Van Halen sucks man, just get over it, just like the cars of the 80's. And I'm a child of the 80's. I remember a gym teacher playing Van Halen while we did gym stuff. I thought it was the gayest music, and I still do. Maybe they had a great guitarist, but one instrument doesn't make a band. And I'm not even that big of a fan of Soundgarden, however, their music is much easier to listen to than VH.[/quote]
yet another example of someone who has not heard anything from VH that didn't come out with a video on MTV...

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='518006' date='Jul 28 2007, 11:28 AM']yet another example of someone who has not heard anything from VH that didn't come out with a video on MTV...[/quote]
No, dude, I have. One day when some people were here talking about VH, I even went and tried to listen to some of their music that you people said was good. Well, guess what. It wasn't good. Not to my ears.

Don't go jumping to conclusions. I'm more of an obscure music lover, not an MTV fan.

music you'll find me listening to: pink floyd (have every album, up to the wall), the doors, massive attack, tricky, air, and many other downtempo electronica music, the pharcyde (fatlip from them), del, kid koala, muse, nin, nirvana, modest mouse (not the radio songs), bluegrass

Hell, guess I like anything [b]but[/b] Van Halen.

[quote name='steggyD' post='518011' date='Jul 28 2007, 04:36 PM']No, dude, I have. One day when some people were here talking about VH, I even went and tried to listen to some of their music that you people said was good. Well, guess what. It wasn't good. Not to my ears.

Don't go jumping to conclusions. I'm more of an obscure music lover, not an MTV fan.

music you'll find me listening to: pink floyd (have every album, up to the wall), the doors, massive attack, tricky, air, and many other downtempo electronica music, the pharcyde (fatlip from them), del, kid koala, muse, nin, nirvana, modest mouse (not the radio songs), bluegrass

Hell, guess I like anything [b]but[/b] Van Halen.[/quote]
Then kudos to you. At least you've made an informed decision. We'll have to agree to disagree...

Those first 4 VH albums are damn near perfection, IMO. Just fucking brilliant stuff. But I guess it's not for everybody.

Again, I am a soundgarden fan as well. I'd be going to see Cornell in London, but he's here while I'm back in the US in early Sept. I have most if not all of their albums. But As much as I like them, there isn't much of anything that tops the original VH goodness for me.

[quote name='steggyD' post='518011' date='Jul 28 2007, 11:36 AM']No, dude, I have. One day when some people were here talking about VH, I even went and tried to listen to some of their music that you people said was good. Well, guess what. It wasn't good. Not to my ears.

Hell, guess I like anything [b]but[/b] Van Halen.[/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/41.gif[/img]

[quote name='steggyD' post='518004' date='Jul 28 2007, 11:25 AM']Van Halen sucks man, just get over it, just like the cars of the 80's. And I'm a child of the 80's. I remember a gym teacher playing Van Halen while we did gym stuff. I thought it was the [b]gayest[/b] music, and I still do. Maybe they had a great guitarist, but one instrument doesn't make a band. And I'm not even that big of a fan of Soundgarden, however, their music is much easier to listen to than VH.[/quote]

[img]http://img465.imageshack.us/img465/1117/dlrisgay2tz.jpg[/img]

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='518115' date='Jul 28 2007, 08:16 PM'][img]http://img465.imageshack.us/img465/1117/dlrisgay2tz.jpg[/img][/quote]
While I'm sure Dave was posing half naked for the benefit of your daughter (or is it grand daughter [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//39.gif[/img]) I'm sure he'd be amazed to know an old fart like you can still get it up :ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja:

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='518119' date='Jul 28 2007, 03:31 PM']While I'm sure Dave was posing half naked for the benefit of your daughter (or is it grand daughter [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//39.gif[/img]) I'm sure he'd be amazed to know an old fart like you can still get it up :ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja:[/quote]

That album, Women and children first, came out in 1980. I was 21. They weren't really my style, but they had a couple of songs that I thought were ok, so I decided to buy their new album. I opened it up and that picture was a poster that came with the album.

I've hated them ever since.

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='518125' date='Jul 28 2007, 03:38 PM'][b]That album, Women and children first, came out in 1980. I was 21.[/b][/quote]
[color="#FF0000"]

[b]Daaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmn........................... [/b][/color]:mellow:

:ninja:

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='518094' date='Jul 28 2007, 12:54 PM']I'm wondering how the tie was broken. Last I saw it people were saying that the polls had closed and it was tied. WTF? 666???
MULLY

As MC Hammer would say.....U can't touch this!!!

[/quote]

I was out last night and unable to log-in from another computer at around 6pm but I did see it was a tie. I made the call to let the poll go a little longer and when I got home not only was Soundgarden ahead but VH didn't even get another vote so I called it... I think a rematch would result in the same outcome. For what it's worth, I voted for VH.

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='518125' date='Jul 28 2007, 08:38 PM']That album, Women and children first, came out in 1980. I was 21. They weren't really my style, but they had a couple of songs that I thought were ok, so I decided to buy their new album. I opened it up and that picture was a poster that came with the album.

I've hated them ever since.[/quote]
Fair enough. It's not a picture I'd want to see hanging on my wall, either. But I do love the album otherwise.

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='518140' date='Jul 28 2007, 03:04 PM']Fair enough. It's not a picture I'd want to see hanging on my wall, either. But I do love the album otherwise.[/quote]

Oh hell yes.. That is by far the angriest, most spontaneous record of theirs...

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='518094' date='Jul 28 2007, 01:54 PM']I'm wondering how the tie was broken. Last I saw it people were saying that the polls had closed and it was tied. WTF? 666???
MULLY

As MC Hammer would say.....U can't touch this!!!

[/quote]

[i]Mully,

That was awesome. I had seen then five times (all with DLR) and this piece reminded me of the last show and stage setup with a wall of amps in the background.[/i]

[i]As all can see with VH around, there was no requirements for Ritalin; as required by the youth of the 90's.

Probably as a result of the music they listened to.[/i]

:ninja:

Archived