Baseball town or Football town?

Baseball town or Football town?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Is Cincinnati a Baseball town or Football town, today?

• Football
    • Baseball

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='534298' date='Aug 27 2007, 01:43 PM']And theres a waiting list EVERY year for opening day and they sell standing room only seats...

If you want to put it into actual numbers, the Bengals had 527,870 at thier stadium last year and the Reds had 2,134,472 people attend thier stadium... Now say what you want about how much the Bengals draw per game but I guarentee you that if the Reds only had 8 home games, they would be sold out just as well (it's called supply and demand my friend)[/quote]

Opening day is a traditon. And still, it`s the olny game the Reds sellout.
"Baseball towns" sellout more than one game a year.

Reds average attendance 26,351.
Bengals average attendance 65,983.

And like I said, Reds tickets are cheaper, and it`s more family oriented
than a Bengals game is.

Look around, you`ll see more Bengals jerseys, hats, and other paraphernalia
than you will Reds stuff.

Cincinnati is only a baseball town to people that are holding on to the glory days,
and/or haven`t been paying attention.

Ken Griffey at the All-Star Game . . .

[quote][b]Cincy fans ready for football [/b]

• With his Reds mired in last place in the NL Central, Ken Griffey Jr. is already sensing a change in focus among people in Cincinnati.

[b]"You know what they say. The best thing about the All-Star Game is that football is around the corner," Griffey said. "It's been that way the last couple of years now.[/b] We have a guy racing a horse now."
That's how much Bengals-mania has grown as the team that used to be a laughingstock in the NFL is now a serious contender. Last month, there was much hype around receiver Chad Johnson's charity race with a horse named Restore the Roar.[/quote]

[url="http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/191308"]http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/191308[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' post='534310' date='Aug 27 2007, 02:56 PM']Opening day is a traditon. And still, it`s the olny game the Reds sellout.
"Baseball towns" sellout more than one game a year.

Reds average attendance 26,351.
Bengals average attendance 65,983.

And like I said, Reds tickets are cheaper, and it`s more family oriented
than a Bengals game is.

Look around, you`ll see more Bengals jerseys, hats, and other paraphernalia
than you will Reds stuff.

Cincinnati is only a baseball town to people that are holding on to the glory days,
and/or haven`t been paying attention.
Ken Griffey at the All-Star Game . . .

[url="http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/191308"]http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/191308[/url][/quote]

Whens the last time you've been to Cincinnati? Or better yet a Reds game? Or Bengals game?

The price has NOTHING to do with it... it's simple suppy vs. demand. If the reds played 8 times a year, the tickets would be 80 bucks a pop and would sell out too.

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='534321' date='Aug 27 2007, 03:04 PM']Whens the last time you've been to Cincinnati? Or better yet a Reds game? Or Bengals game?
The price has NOTHING to do with it... it's simple suppy vs. demand. If the reds played 8 times a year, the tickets would be 80 bucks a pop and would sell out too.[/quote]

agreed

the resd sell a lot more tickets than the bengals do.

ive never been to a game under 20,000 people....

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='534321' date='Aug 27 2007, 02:04 PM']Whens the last time you've been to Cincinnati? Or better yet a Reds game? Or Bengals game?[/quote]

What does that have to do with anything ?

[quote]The price has NOTHING to do with it... it's simple suppy vs. demand.[/quote]

The Reds have a bigger supply and less demand.

[quote]If the reds played 8 times a year, the tickets would be 80 bucks a pop and would sell out too.[/quote]

Maybe. But they`d probably stop selling out at mid season when the Reds were out of it.
I love the Reds, but baseball sucks. It really is about having the best team money can buy.

And obviously you`re missing my point about it being a more family friendly enviroment,
cheaper, and still not selling out, except for Opening Day.

Bengals games aren`t a family thing, it coast a helluva lot more, and still sells out.

Do you hear Albert Pujols, David Ortiz or Derek Jeter saying the All-Star
game means football is right around the corner ?

[quote name='oldschooler' post='534334' date='Aug 27 2007, 03:14 PM']What does that have to do with anything ?
Maybe. But they`d probably stop selling out at mid season when the Reds were out of it.
I love the Reds, but baseball sucks. It really is about having the best team money can buy.

And obviously you`re missing my point about it being a more family friendly enviroment,

Bengals games aren`t a family thing, it coast a helluva lot more, and still sells out.

game means football is right around the corner ?[/quote]

the reds do not ahve less demand. other wise they would sell less tickets than they do.

65k x 10 - 650,000
20k (bare minmum every game) x 81 = 1.6 million? so in reality since some game have 30-40k they sell over 2 million tickets, if there was less reds demand, they would sell like 1 mil, just cuase theres more game or whatever reason.

definetly a baseball town here...

and having been in cincy at or around the sporting events, has a lot to do with understanding the cities mindset about both sports.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='534334' date='Aug 27 2007, 03:14 PM']What does that have to do with anything ?

game means football is right around the corner ?[/quote]

What does that have to do with anything? You're speaking like you walk around downtown everyday and just see masses of Bengals merchandise everywhere... you don't live in cincy, and if you can't answer straight up whens the last time you've been there kind of taints your argument about what you see downtown

And you're obviously missing my point about everything. If the Bengals played 82 games in the city of Cincinnati, they would not come close to selling out every game. It just wouldn't happen. And the Reds would cost a "helluva" lot more if they only played 8 games a season... you didn't take business classes did you? I'll try to put it into current day instead... If the U.S. had 82 "tanks" of gas per year to sell vs. 8 "tanks" of gas per year to sell, which do you think would average a higher cost? Obviously the 8 tanks per year because the supply is higher, which thus increases demand.

And i dont give a fuck what Griffey says about football... or Ortiz or Jeter or Pujols...

I think I'm done trying to make you see what it's like in Cincinnati... now if I wanted to know what it was like in Wisconson (that's where you're from right?) during Brewer and Packers season, I'll give you a call

[quote name='GoBengals' post='534346' date='Aug 27 2007, 02:28 PM']the reds do not ahve less demand. other wise they would sell less tickets than they do.
65k x 10 - 650,000
20k (bare minmum every game) x 81 = 1.6 million? so in reality since some game have 30-40k they sell over 2 million tickets, if there was less reds demand, they would sell like 1 mil, just cuase theres more game or whatever reason.

definetly a baseball town here...

and having been in cincy at or around the sporting events, has a lot to do with understanding the cities mindset about both sports.[/quote]

The Reds have more opporunities to sell tickets.
Whose to say if the Bengals played more games, that they wouldn`t sell them all out ?

The Reds sold had an attendance of 18,000 when they faced the first place Brewers in July.

Other than Opening Day, the Reds biggest draws are when Barry Bonds was in town,
and when they play the Cubs. Cubs fans fill GABP more than Reds fans do.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='534354' date='Aug 27 2007, 03:38 PM']The Reds have more opporunities to sell tickets.
Whose to say if the Bengals played more games, that they wouldn`t sell them all out ?
The Reds sold had an attendance of 18,000 when they faced the first place Brewers in July.

Other than Opening Day, the Reds biggest draws are when Barry Bonds was in town,
and when they play the Cubs. Cubs fans fill GABP more than Reds fans do.[/quote]

and steeler fans don't / haven't filled Riverfront / GABP over the past 20 years?

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='534347' date='Aug 27 2007, 02:29 PM']What does that have to do with anything? You're speaking like you walk around downtown everyday and just see masses of Bengals merchandise everywhere... you don't live in cincy, and if you can't answer straight up whens the last time you've been there kind of taints your argument about what you see downtown[/quote]

You act like I haven`t been there at all.
Also I have a ton of family that lives there. I have kids that live there that I talk to all the time.

[quote]And you're obviously missing my point about everything. If the Bengals played 82 games in the city of Cincinnati, they would not come close to selling out every game. It just wouldn't happen. And the Reds would cost a "helluva" lot more if they only played 8 games a season... you didn't take business classes did you? I'll try to put it into current day instead... If the U.S. had 82 "tanks" of gas per year to sell vs. 8 "tanks" of gas per year to sell, which do you think would average a higher cost? Obviously the 8 tanks per year because the supply is lower, which thus increases demand.[/quote]

I`m not missing your point.

Most of the tickets sold at Reds games are for families, or opposing team`s fans.

[quote]And i dont give a fuck what Griffey says about football... or Ortiz or Jeter or Pujols...[/quote]

You don`t care about what the biggest star of the Reds says ?
He seems to suggest that Cincy has became a football town.

[quote]I think I'm done trying to make you see what it's like in Cincinnati... now if I wanted to know what it was like in Wisconson (that's where you're from right?) during Brewer and Packers season, I'll give you a call[/quote]

I was just in Ohio last summer. The last time I went to a Reds game, it was in Milwaukee.
The last time I went to a Reds game in Cincy, it was against the Bankees, and over
half the stadium was wearing Bankees jerseys.

Anyway, I don`t need you to show me shit. If you want to know about Wisconsin,
read a paper, Jerk. You act like there is nothing to debate here.

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='534360' date='Aug 27 2007, 02:44 PM']and steeler fans don't / haven't filled Riverfront / GABP over the past 20 years?[/quote]

Why would Stealers fans fill GABP ?

Stealers fans haven`t filled PBS since Marvin took over.
That`s about the same time Cincy became a football town . . .

[quote name='oldschooler' post='534365' date='Aug 27 2007, 03:49 PM']Why would Stealers fans fill GABP ?

Stealers fans haven`t filled PBS since Marvin took over.
That`s about the same time Cincy became a football town . . .[/quote]

you obviously don't go to Bengals vs steeler games in cincinnati...

But It's ok to keep saying all these things about cincinnati that you don't witness first hand... its cool

I'm done with this though...

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='534369' date='Aug 27 2007, 02:56 PM']you obviously don't go to Bengals vs steeler games in cincinnati...

But It's ok to keep saying all these things about cincinnati that you don't witness first hand... its cool[/quote]

And thanks for trying to show me something that you haven`t witnessed first hand.
Didn`t you just move to Kentucky from Columbus ? But that has nothing to do
with anything, right ?

Believe me, I went to many Bengals games when Stealers fans DID fill the stadium.
That`s not the case now. And I don`t have to be there to know it.

[quote]I'm done with this though...[/quote]

OK. Thanks again.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='534374' date='Aug 27 2007, 04:02 PM']And thanks for trying to show me something that you haven`t witnessed first hand.
Didn`t you just move to Kentucky from Columbus ? But that has nothing to do
with anything, right ?

Believe me, I went to many Bengals games when Stealers fans DID fill the stadium.
That`s not the case now. And I don`t have to be there to know it.
OK. Thanks again.[/quote]

I live in Lexington, all my family and friends live in Cincinnati and i went to college at OSU and lived at home during the summers. I haven't missed opening day in Cincinnati for the Reds in roughly 15 years, and I average about 10 to 15 games a year for baseball.

I go to cincinnati either every weekend or every weekend for softball, hanging with my family and hanging out with my friends.

I go to about 6 Bengals games a year and I throw in a road game every once in awhile.

The last thing I want is for this to turn into a pissing match about whose more Cincinnati, but don't tell me these things you THINK you know when i see them first hand...

Cold steel, bricks, asphalt, and streets would say Cincinnati is a baseball town. Spirit, hope, *acceptance of all people, and comradely would say Cincinnati is a football town.

* with one exception - Kokaine7777

[quote name='Bunghole' post='534460' date='Aug 27 2007, 06:40 PM']So is New York a baseball town or a football town? They have two teams in each sport....don't Yankees games sell out all the time? What about Giants games, aren't those sold out too?[/quote]

New York is a baseball town because the football stadium is in New Jersey. :lol:

[quote name='Bunghole' post='534483' date='Aug 27 2007, 06:54 PM']That's right. Why do they call them the "NY Giants" and "NY Jets" then? Seems silly.[/quote]

Because both teams have the good sence to not claim to be from jersey.

:wave: Hi Dan (wherever you are)

[quote name='Bunghole' post='534460' date='Aug 27 2007, 06:40 PM']So is New York a baseball town or a football town? They have two teams in each sport....don't Yankees games sell out all the time? What about Giants games, aren't those sold out too?[/quote]

Which has more tradition the baseball teams or football teams?

NY is a baseball town

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='534379' date='Aug 27 2007, 03:08 PM']I live in Lexington, all my family and friends live in Cincinnati and i went to college at OSU and lived at home during the summers. I haven't missed opening day in Cincinnati for the Reds in roughly 15 years, and I average about 10 to 15 games a year for baseball.

I go to cincinnati either every weekend or every weekend for softball, hanging with my family and hanging out with my friends.

I go to about 6 Bengals games a year and I throw in a road game every once in awhile.
The last thing I want is for this to turn into a pissing match about whose more Cincinnati, but don't tell me these things you THINK you know when i see them first hand...[/quote]

So what do you know ?
That Cincinnati, even thought it has always been considered to be a Baseball town,
that some now consider it a Football town ?
I`m not the only person in this thread, or in this poll that is saying it`s a football town NOW.
So are you the only one that sees stuff "first hand" ?

Boston, New York, Chigaco, Los Angeles and St. Louis are sonsidered Baesball towns.
Towns that "claim" to be baseball towns sellout more than one game a year. That`s a fact.
Or at least it should be seen as a fact.

People that weren`t Bengals fans a few years ago, are now avid Bengals fans.
The Bengals are more popular right now than the Reds. Do you disagree ?
So taking into account the fact that the Bengals are more popular than the Reds,
that makes Cincinnati and the surrounding area (that comprises of the fans)
a football town.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='534473' date='Aug 27 2007, 05:47 PM']Both football stadiums are in Jersey?[/quote]

They both play in the same stadium.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='534496' date='Aug 27 2007, 07:02 PM']So what do you know ?
That Cincinnati has always been considered to be a Baseball town, that some now consider it a Football town ?
I`m not the only person in this thread, or in this poll that is saying it`s a football town NOW.
So are you the only one that sees what you see "first hand" ?

Boston, New York, Chigaco, Los Angeles and St. Louis are sonsidered Baesball towns.
Towns that "claim" to be baseball towns sellout more than one game a year. That`s a fact.
Or at least it should be seen as a fact.
People that weren`t Bengals fans a few years ago, are now avid Bengals fans.
The Bengals are more popular right now than the Reds. Do you disagree ?
So taking into account the fact that the Bengals are more popular than the Reds,
that makes Cincinnati and the surrounding area (that comprises of the fans)
a football town.
They both play in the same stadium.[/quote]

your logic for this is so ass backwards I cant stand it...

Like I said.... lets drop this.

Archived