What makes a fan?

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='563329' date='Oct 3 2007, 08:02 PM']I'm impressed you haven't gone around calling everyone douche's in this thread. It is your MO afterall when you can't back up a statement.
People are allowed to be fans of whatever teams they want, for any reasons they choose. Being a fan of one doesn't make you any less of a fan of another. Yo may be able to argue someone being a fan of rival teams, but I doubt that happens much.[/quote]
Are you sure I havn't used "douche" yet. It is my Motis Operandi after all.

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='563513' date='Oct 4 2007, 08:31 AM']im not sure how relevant this is but i just wrote a 5 page tirade that blasted everybody involved in this organization from the fans, to mike brown, to marvin lewis and his staff, to the players and the media, but i am too ashamed to post it as i am not even sure what my point was besides the fact that something needs to change and that no, one winning season and two non-losing seasons do not change the culture of losing in that clubhouse. something has got to change. sure weve got injuries, hell, a shit ton of injuries, probably the most significant of any team in the nfl. but even outside of that something needs to change. the way the organization is run and the attitude it doles needs to change if we ever want to make it to and past the second round of the playoffs. and no, that is not a specific complaint about mike brown. im not even sure what it is that needs to change. all i know is that this team has been unable to work through adversity for quite awhile and when you couple that with some shitty luck you have what you are seeing right now. a pretty fucking perturbed fan base. now ive got too much invested in this franchise financially and emotionally to just drop everything and walk away. and for that i am kind of worried, because i am a fan and i will probably be a fan until i die, but unless the culture of the club is changed it will all be for naught, since finding a way to lose is currently the only thing this franchise is good at. ill support this team to the best of my abilities, but unless something happens in the near future i foresee the rest of the nfl surpassing us in the coming years and a major opportunity being wasted as we wither back to futility. something has to change. something has got to change or we will never get over that hump. period.[/quote]

your silly, you should look into some hobbies.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='563582' date='Oct 4 2007, 11:11 AM']your silly, you should look into some hobbies.[/quote]
i have 3, the bengals, and... well... im sure you figure out the other two

[img]http://www.neonsign.com/eng_tackers/images/naturalicegirltin.jpg[/img]

[quote name='GoBengals' post='563589' date='Oct 4 2007, 11:18 AM']minimal disrespect, but thats kinda sad.[/quote]
level of seriousness contained in my posts, x marks the spot

Serious-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------X-----------------super cereal!!!!!!!!!!111

fakeedit:

[quote name='Actium' post='563382' date='Oct 3 2007, 10:49 PM']I can't imagine someone liking the Bengals and the Cardinals would ever qualify as a fair-weather fan.

Although it feels like the Cardinals are close. Really close.

I hope I feel that way about the Bengals again soon. Because they are my first love in the NFL.[/quote]
Cardinals and Bengals............gutton for punishment

I guess I'm somewhere between casual and real then. Although I always considered myself a real fan. Who else is sitting in Giants and Jets country rooting for the Bengals week in and week out? Paying for Sunday ticket every year just to watch mainly one team. A loss doesn't ruin my week, but the last few losses hurt really bad. I feel like I'm in a bad relationship right now. I keep putting so much in, but I'm not getting any love back. :(

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='563528' date='Oct 4 2007, 09:13 AM']i wrote it in quick reply and copied it over to ms word without saving either and then copied something else afterwards ("thai pimp," dont ask) while being stupid. is there anyway to recover what youve cut/pasted after cut/pasting something afterwards?

anyone?[/quote]

Check your temp files for the date you did this and maybe if you're lucky it will be there as a ???.TMP or ???.DOC (doubtful but still a shot).

What makes a fan? Why are we fans?

I'm perfectly happy with my life right now. I am making a decent paycheck and I'm not killing myself over it. I have great benefits, any of my family can see any kind of doctor at any time for little money. I have a house, food in the 'fridge, a couple cars, 3 intelligent and extremely talented children and a wife, well, you know, a wife. The worst thing going for me right now is a flea problem ... I hate pets!!! Unneccessary funds and time to take care of them and the problems they bring. Back to my point ...

I run around with my children in my free time, having fun. I skateboard with my six year old son, kick a soccer ball around with my 11 year old daughters. I play XBox 360, some computer games. My wife makes excellent meals.

Well, then, after the game tonight of watching my up and coming Wildcats football team lose, I ask myself again. Why do I keep doing this to myself? I am perfectly happy, then I go and watch a game with a team I am emotionally attached to for whatever fuckin' reason, and I get mad, sad, upset, angry. Why do I do this to myself? After the last Bengals game, I am really questioning all this. I don't even live in the area, I haven't for over 12 years. Yet I keep rooting for the Bengals, rooting for the Wildcats. I spend money on jerseys, money on Sunday Ticket, money on any games that I may run across. I get anxious waiting for the games to begin. I prepare myself with snacks, beer, jerseys, etc. I spent time recording the games and even sharing them with others, hoping that it would be the year.

But in the end, it all comes raining down on me. I have no control over the team. I don't NEED to watch the team play a game. I could just as easily catch up on the dirty pots and pans no one wants to wash. I could go out and do something else with my son besides force him into my life of mysery of waiting for a big let-down. I want to quit all sports, honestly, except for the sports my children play. I don't want the extra pain in my life, yet I keep doing it. I find myself drawn to keep coming back here, to watching every game.

What makes a fan a fan? Is there any way to cut the cord? Or do we just keep doing it no matter what? I am in no way a fair-weather fan, I'm just a guy who is tired of being treated like shit for all the time, energy and money I put into these teams I root for.

[quote name='steggyD' post='563902' date='Oct 5 2007, 12:16 AM']What makes a fan? Why are we fans?

I'm perfectly happy with my life right now. I am making a decent paycheck and I'm not killing myself over it. I have great benefits, any of my family can see any kind of doctor at any time for little money. I have a house, food in the 'fridge, a couple cars, 3 intelligent and extremely talented children and a wife, well, you know, a wife. The worst thing going for me right now is a flea problem ... I hate pets!!! Unneccessary funds and time to take care of them and the problems they bring. Back to my point ...

I run around with my children in my free time, having fun. I skateboard with my six year old son, kick a soccer ball around with my 11 year old daughters. I play XBox 360, some computer games. My wife makes excellent meals.

Well, then, after the game tonight of watching my up and coming Wildcats football team lose, I ask myself again. Why do I keep doing this to myself? I am perfectly happy, then I go and watch a game with a team I am emotionally attached to for whatever fuckin' reason, and I get mad, sad, upset, angry. Why do I do this to myself? After the last Bengals game, I am really questioning all this. I don't even live in the area, I haven't for over 12 years. Yet I keep rooting for the Bengals, rooting for the Wildcats. I spend money on jerseys, money on Sunday Ticket, money on any games that I may run across. I get anxious waiting for the games to begin. I prepare myself with snacks, beer, jerseys, etc. I spent time recording the games and even sharing them with others, hoping that it would be the year.

But in the end, it all comes raining down on me. I have no control over the team. I don't NEED to watch the team play a game. I could just as easily catch up on the dirty pots and pans no one wants to wash. I could go out and do something else with my son besides force him into my life of mysery of waiting for a big let-down. I want to quit all sports, honestly, except for the sports my children play. I don't want the extra pain in my life, yet I keep doing it. I find myself drawn to keep coming back here, to watching every game.

What makes a fan a fan? Is there any way to cut the cord? Or do we just keep doing it no matter what? I am in no way a fair-weather fan, I'm just a guy who is tired of being treated like shit for all the time, energy and money I put into these teams I root for.[/quote]

Just step back a little. Be a more casual fan for a while. Stay a fan, just take it down a couple of notches on your priorities in life. Smile when we win, shrug it off when we lose. Your kids are your priority over everything and everyone in your life. Tivo every game, but don't watch them live. Make Sunday afternoons time for your family. If we win, watch the recording. If we lose, erase it. Spend less time here, but don't leave. Maybe hit the general forums more for funny shit.

Don't let the fortunes, or misfortunes of your favorite sports teams affect your real life. Sports appeal to our primitive instincts, but we have to remember it's just entertainment. If it's no longer entertainment for you, take a break. Wait until we're winning again before you let yourself really care. That's not being a bandwagon fan,(as some will claim) that's being a sane, mature adult.

You proved your worth as a fan (as if that statement even has any real meaning) by setting us all up with excellent torrents that took hours of your time, you even burned and mailed me a cd.

P.S.
We've always had pets and used to fight fleas all the time with collars, sprays, powders, etcetera until we used that stuff that comes in a tube. Damn, I forget what it's called, but you squeeze a little on the back of your dog/cat's neck and rub it in. Haven't seen a flea in years.

[quote name='steggyD' post='563902' date='Oct 5 2007, 12:16 AM']What makes a fan? Why are we fans?

What makes a fan a fan? Is there any way to cut the cord? Or do we just keep doing it no matter what? I am in no way a fair-weather fan, I'm just a guy who is tired of being treated like shit for all the time, energy and money I put into these teams I root for.[/quote]

its entertainment, its a movie with an ending you think sucks now and then, but the good ending is WAY better than the bad ending. asking "why do i need to watch a team play a sports" is like asking "why do i need to pay to watch some guy pretend to be a spiderman" "why do i pay to watch some guy pretend to be a sniper" its entertainment. i think some cant draw the line between the entertainment and some very very strange connection to thier lives, as you mentioned, and can obviously differentiate, is that football isnt your life its something that entertains you. most of the time. even a tough close loss, is entertaining till the end, a blowout is a shitty chick flick about feelings, a massace is a great action movie with lots of tits and gore. its entertainment.

what pains you, and makes you feel like your wasting your time, is that your on THEIR schedule, not your own, with a shitty movie, you waited till a boring afternoon or when nothing else was on clicked over, and didnt invest much thought or energy into watching it, but the bengals play sunday afternoon, and you dont wanna miss what could be a great flick. when its a shitty ending you feel worse cause you set the time apart to watch it, if you could watch bengals games at any point in your free time, you wouldnt be nearly as mad or emotionally attached, its feeling that you deserve some consolation for what you put in (setting aside the time a jersey/shirt, etc) if you set aside a saturday take the whole family, snacks everything, to a movie and it BLOWS. you are thinking about a refund semi seriously aftwards, and want to bitch at someone for its suckiness, but if you rent a movie watch it when you get bored and it sucks ass, you say it sucks and just take it back...

ive been to about 50 bengals games in person, some plane tickets, travel hotel, etc but i love to travel, hang out with some friends, meet people from across the country once or twice a year, there is a ton of enjoyment even in a loss, but driving 10 minutes to PBS watching a loss and back home to clean up with wife 4 hours later seems like a pain.

its all perspective and what you expect from watching the team play.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='563569' date='Oct 4 2007, 03:46 PM']I am a role model. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//15.gif[/img]
:ninja:[/quote]
WTF is the ninja for?

You are the fan's fan. As knowledgeable of what's going on with your team as anyone outside of the organization itself. Permanently optimistic. Not blind to the faults of the organization, but understanding of the difference between when to bitch and moan, and when to call it "just one of those days".

For me, that's what a fan should be.

As for some of our less optimistic brethren, I sometimes have a hard time calling them "fans". It seems at times that some of them are far more interested in pressing the panic button in the hopes of being right when the disappointment that comes at season's end (for 31 of 32 teams) arrives, than they are interested in supporting their chosen side. The sooner the playoff run ends the better, as that means the [s]offseason[/s] "I told you so" season starts early.

For me, being a fan involves more than just cheering a good play, and booing a bad one. Maybe that's just because I've been watching for long enough, and following closely enough that when I do bitch and moan, I have some general idea of which direction to do it and why. It doesn't mean my opinion is always the only one or even the correct one, but I have something more to contribute than one particular point of bitching that I always go back to, such as the SoP crowd, etc.

I guess Go summed it up best:

[quote]Real Fans - Knows all of the players once preseason is over, understands the depth chart and strengths and weaknesses of players and their roles, wants to see game film after the fact to gauge player skill levels and grade breakdowns on plays. Generally is just a football fan and enjoys the sport as a whole. May or may not spend $200-300 a month on a bengals fan site so fans can gather and talk football all year round! mellow.gif[/quote]

Except that if you don't have $200 - $300 a month to spend on hosting your one site, you find someone else with a great site, and help chip in ^_^

Archived