UC VS Bengals?

Ben

Lance is trying to make an argument that UC Football has a chance to overtake the bengals in cinci.

I do not see this happening. Mainly because the divisions in loyalty to different college football teams. Plus, UC football has just been a byline in talk radio for years and are a bad season away from the wheels falling off the bandwagon again.

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//18.gif[/img] I thought this was going to be a thread about UC being able to beat the Bengals.

UC football needs to worry about overtaking high school football in the city before they worry about taking on the Bengals.

Ben, since you and I are buds now, I'll give you some advice. Don't waste your time listening to Lance's show. :)

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='592590' date='Nov 13 2007, 02:34 PM'][img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//18.gif[/img] I thought this was going to be a thread about UC being able to beat the Bengals.
[b] Maybe if JP Losman was their QB :ninja: [/b]

UC football needs to worry about overtaking high school football in the city before they worry about taking on the Bengals.

Ben, since you and I are buds now, I'll give you some advice. Don't waste your time listening to Lance's show. :)

[b] Only sports radio i can listen to at work [/b][/quote]

[quote name='Ben' post='592556' date='Nov 13 2007, 02:08 PM']Lance is trying to make an argument that UC Football has a chance to overtake the bengals in cinci.

I do not see this happening. Mainly because the divisions in loyalty to different college football teams. Plus, UC football has just been a byline in talk radio for years and are a bad season away from the wheels falling off the bandwagon again.[/quote]

I'm listening to the argument and it is a specious one. Lance is trying to make the argument that it could take away from the Bengals fanbase. Pro and college sports are two different animals. UC may attract some Bengals fans to become new fans but its highly doubtful those same fans will just stop being fans of the Bengals. No matter how much Lance wants that to happen.

Btw, ...did you know Lance declared himself officially off the Bengals wagon? (and this is the same guy that does the Bengals pep rally every Friday) <_<

Crazy world, ...huh! :rolleyes:

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='592714' date='Nov 13 2007, 06:27 PM']I particularly found it funny in the few bits I caught where an OSU fan called in saying fans will buy in once they are a consistent winner, and Lance tried to ignore that bit of truth by turning it into "[b]OSU fans feel threatened by UC's success.[/b]" What a douche.[/quote]
In Cincinnati specifically i can see this as being possible. Not that UC is going to overtake OSU as the popular team in ohio or anything, but as the more popular team in Cincinnati and steal some recruits.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='592736' date='Nov 13 2007, 06:52 PM']In Cincinnati specifically i can see this as being possible. Not that UC is going to overtake OSU as the popular team in ohio or anything, but as the more popular team in Cincinnati and steal some recruits.[/quote]

I've never known OSU fans to be, ...well, ..."Lance-like!" That won't happen!

[quote name='Jeb' post='592677' date='Nov 13 2007, 04:41 PM']I'm listening to the argument and it is a specious one. Lance is trying to make the argument that it could take away from the Bengals fanbase. Pro and college sports are two different animals. [b]UC may attract some Bengals fans to become new fans but its highly doubtful those same fans will just stop being fans of the Bengals[/b]. No matter how much Lance wants that to happen.

Btw, ...did you know Lance declared himself officially off the Bengals wagon? (and this is the same guy that does the Bengals pep rally every Friday) <_<

Crazy world, ...huh! :rolleyes:[/quote]

Exactly. Bottom line: if you build it, they will come. Our situation isn't like the Southeast, where 90,000 people show up to amateur sporting events because there's shit-all else to do. If the Bengals or Bearcats put out teams that are fun to watch, people will watch. When they both sucked, most people didn't care much about either, and the opposite will happen when they both succeed. Also, Hell will then freeze over.

The only area I forsee wherein they might compete is merchandise, since a kid might have to choose between getting a Bengals or Bearcats hoodie for Christmas.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' post='592752' date='Nov 13 2007, 07:15 PM']i think UC's D is damn good, and might be better then ours right now due to the injuries and shit.[/quote]

and that's why you're the first person I thought of when I saw the title of this thread. I will bet you a million dollars that the UC defense couldn't hold ANY NFL offense under 40 points.

NO college unit is better than any pro unit. Its like people don't realize that NFL units (even the crappy ones) aren't still made up of pretty damn good college players. If they weren't, they wouldn't be on an NFL roster.

To think otherwise is idiotic.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' post='592834' date='Nov 13 2007, 09:42 PM']just for bullshit talks, if you took the colleger national champs for say and matched them up against the Dolphins right now, you still think they would not even compete ?[/quote]

I say Miami beats them by 21 or more. Every NFL team is made up of above average college players. Not every college team is made up of above average college players. Actually, 99.99% of them aren't. Not to mention that the NFL team will have more experience, better coaching, and are bigger, faster, and stronger across the board.

Ohio State has one of the best offensive lines in the country. Miami's defensive line would eat them alive.

[quote name='CJ4MVP85' post='592929' date='Nov 13 2007, 11:44 PM']Um..This will never happen..Bengals Football is pretty much the face of Cincy these days... I don't UC overtaking them..

People need to hop off uc's nuts..[/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/39.gif[/img] ...that's an interesting response. I didn't expect that one.

Are you a buckeye fan?

[quote name='Jeb' post='592989' date='Nov 14 2007, 02:18 AM']Are you a buckeye fan?[/quote]
are you delusional enough to believe a semi competitive and previously unsupported college team could somehow overtake a competitive nfl club whose draw has traditionally been several times that of said college club and whose seasons are regularly sold out unlike the previously mentioned college team whom is only good enough to sell out, on average, less than once per year in a stadium less than half the size of the professional clubs?

...and have all of that happen on a permanent scale all within the timescale of 2 years?

yea, the notion that its even possible is foolish.

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='592993' date='Nov 14 2007, 03:05 AM']are you delusional enough to believe a semi competitive and previously unsupported college team could somehow overtake a competitive nfl club whose draw has traditionally been several times that of said college club and whose seasons are regularly sold out unlike the previously mentioned college team whom is only good enough to sell out, on average, less than once per year in a stadium less than half the size of the professional clubs?

...and have all of that happen on a permanent scale all within the timescale of 2 years?

yea, the notion that its even possible is foolish.[/quote]

No.

Your so far out in left field it might takes days to find you. My post was referring to only the "nuts" comment. It sounds fearful and I was very curious because of that comment.

The good news is we have the chopper in the air and a picket line of volunteers are searching for you now in the woods so, ...you hang in there, ...we'll find you!

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='592736' date='Nov 13 2007, 06:52 PM']In Cincinnati specifically i can see this as being possible. Not that UC is going to overtake OSU as the popular team in ohio or anything, but as the more popular team in Cincinnati and steal some recruits.[/quote]

I'm not that worried about it, and I'm rooting for UC to succeed. Traditionally, Ohio State doesn't do much recruiting in the Cincinnati area (it's always baffled me). UC may steal a few recruits from the Dayton area, and the other parts of the state, but I think there is plenty of room for both to coexist. Besides, it really looks like Ohio State is sinking their teeth into the Miami, Florida region, taking advantage of the lack of an elite team down there right now.

How about the fact that college and pro ball are completely different animals, and they don't play on the same day?
Lance is stupid with this one (well, and just about everything else). It's a complete non-issue.
People in the area will be fans of both and one won't take fans from the other.

UC will never pass the Bengals, even if they were good in the 90's. In Ohio, the Bucks will always be #1. The Browns will proably always be #2 in Fans. The Bengals will be #3. UC can battle OU for #4 if they want, and god forbid the MAC teams will be good, such as Bowling Green, Akron, or Miami of Ohio.

Archived